Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what's EQ like these days?

dannicusdannicus Member UncommonPosts: 99

Man i used to love this game and although i left almost 5 years ago it's still my first MMO and the best memories were made playing this game. I played WoW at it's released and that game was very enjoyable for me but something about eq that just stuck with me.

Anyway what's it like these days? Still alot of servers? graphics improved since omens of war? Do you see newbs playing the game for the first time still?

I think the reason i missed this game the most is because i played a Bard and every other game i played didn't have a class that came close to the uniqueness of tan EQ bard.

btw I did play eq2 and hated it.

Comments

• nomadiannomadian Member Posts: 3,490

Well there's been a lot of expansions which have radically altered the game in different ways. There's probably a new race and class you may not be aware of- namely the Beserker class and the Drakan race. There has also been some alteration and graphic upgrades of various zones namely, Freeport, Neriak Forest, North Ro+Oasis, and maybe South Ro(I've forgotten) are one zone now, and some other areas that have slipped my mind. There is also a reduced downtime with a new feature of after 30 seconds out of combat, rapidly increased hp/mana regen. Currently, there is a 60 day free return you probably know about. The xp bonuses in the hotzones (something else you might not know about) are pretty generous if you decide to have a look.

I think if you do return you will find the graphics pretty dated in some areas, and I think a lot of the people that do play nowadays are raiders. Make of that what you will, but it's worth a try just for nostalgia sake and because it's free for a while.

• dannicusdannicus Member UncommonPosts: 99

Originally posted by nomadian

Well there's been a lot of expansions which have radically altered the game in different ways. There's probably a new race and class you may not be aware of- namely the Beserker class and the Drakan race. There has also been some alteration and graphic upgrades of various zones namely, Freeport, Neriak Forest, North Ro+Oasis, and maybe South Ro(I've forgotten) are one zone now, and some other areas that have slipped my mind. There is also a reduced downtime with a new feature of after 30 seconds out of combat, rapidly increased hp/mana regen. Currently, there is a 60 day free return you probably know about. The xp bonuses in the hotzones (something else you might not know about) are pretty generous if you decide to have a look.
    I think if you do return you will find the graphics pretty dated in some areas, and I think a lot of the people that do play nowadays are raiders. Make of that what you will, but it's worth a try just for nostalgia sake and because it's free for a while.
    Beserker class was out when i played my highest level toon was a 66 bard i did get the omens of war expansion but didn't get to involved with it and left soon after the release.  Playing a bard i had a quick mana/hp regen but the 30 second out of combat thing seems to be a much needed feature for many classes. I guess no more standing around trying to buy a err kodiak intellect or ki whatever it was called.

the auction house, bazaar or whatever do you still have to be logged on and in trader mode to sell your wares or they finally come up with an automated system?

• nomadiannomadian Member Posts: 3,490

ah if you left at omens of war you probably know more than me tbh. I left at GoD and have only returned recently(some days ago) seeing briefly a few alterations in the game. The bazaar I think has changed-at least since I left intially.

• pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550

Ever watch that movie "I am Legend"?  Well, that's Freeport.

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335

Originally posted by dannicus

Originally posted by nomadian

Beserker class was out when i played my highest level toon was a 66 bard i did get the omens of war expansion but didn't get to involved with it and left soon after the release.  Playing a bard i had a quick mana/hp regen but the 30 second out of combat thing seems to be a much needed feature for many classes. I guess no more standing around trying to buy a err kodiak intellect or ki whatever it was called.

the auction house, bazaar or whatever do you still have to be logged on and in trader mode to sell your wares or they finally come up with an automated system?

You still have to be logged in but tbh the bazzar is mostly hideously overpriced twink gear and even more hideously overpriced high end cultural gear.  Kei is still popular, as you have to rest less frequently if you have it, and the only starting city that is not a ghost town is Creseant Reach, which is where everyone defaults to.

It is not the same game that you loved five years ago and if you come back with that expectation it will destroy your fond memories. This is not saying you cannot have fun playing EQ, just don't expect it to be the game you remember.

As a side note, They revamped Freeport, North Ro, Oasis, South Ro, East Commonlands, West Commonlands, High Pass, Steamfont, Misty Thicket, and Neriak. Wthen they did they Merged the commonlands into one zone and merged South Ro / Oasis into one zone. They are grapichally nice but most agree they destroyed Freeport when they changed the layout. The other zones are very close to the original with only a graphical revamp.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• LissLiss Member Posts: 48

I came back months ago and was in a progression guild on the Test server. Had some good fun once i lvled up then kind of lost interest.

Now i came back on stromm. Rolled a chanter even though i knew i would be soloing. And like they said above i am enjoying the game for what it is. Not what it was. Im only like lvl 20 but its gone by pretty quick. I mostly just chill with my little pet and chat in /guild. Im not expecting to get to lvl 80, maybe not even lvl 60. But i have fun and i cant wait till i start grouping with some peeps.

I see a few other newbs every now and then. The higher i lvl the more im sure i'll see. Lots of people have come back for the summer but theres so many servers that the returning players are very spread out.

• LuckyRLuckyR Member UncommonPosts: 260

I too have been gone for 5 years or so. Tried going back with the SOE 60 free days. Installed my cds

patched ALL 14 expansions logged on my Chanter played for an hour. Logged out and uninstalled.

Do not go back if you like to keep your memories. Not saying it is bad or anything negative. I just got use to graphics of today and game play of today.

• dannicusdannicus Member UncommonPosts: 99

Originally posted by LuckyR

I too have been gone for 5 years or so. Tried going back with the SOE 60 free days. Installed my cds
    patched ALL 14 expansions logged on my Chanter played for an hour. Logged out and uninstalled.

Do not go back if you like to keep your memories. Not saying it is bad or anything negative. I just got use to graphics of today and game play of today.
    lol that's exactly what i'm afraid of if i download, patch everything i may only last an hour or so before i uninstall.  I have to admit though according to mmochart

http://www.mmogchart.com/Chart1.html

it has a bigger player base today then it did 5 years ago and with that many active accounts i don't see it going away anytime soon.

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335

lol that's exactly what i'm afraid of if i download, patch everything i may only last an hour or so before i uninstall.  I have to admit though according to mmochart

it has a bigger player base today then it did 5 years ago and with that many active accounts i don't see it going away anytime soon.

There is nothing wrong with the size of EQ's population, it's just that the vast majority is concentrated a max level. Also, these days, most grouping is strictly in guild. Very few people are willing to do pick up groups these days and most people have a cleric or shaman alt that they box with when there is nobody on in guild to group with.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• YeeboYeebo Member Posts: 1,359

The download isn't bad at all.  Took like four or five hours, I hadn't played since GoD.

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

• lupisenparislupisenparis Member Posts: 185

I heard vanguard is what eq was only better, open terrain based pve and lots of solo quests.

• PhaethonPhaethon Member Posts: 43

Left EQ when LDoN was released, played ALOT of MMO's after that, returned about 4 weeks ago? And having  alot of fun with EQ for what it is nowadays hehe. I was kinda worried I would never catch up to the current sitaution, but started a new char and it's already way higher level than any of my alts, and richer then I ever was. Friendly people all around aswell.

I'll stick around for a while, not many  things I look forward to MMO wise.

Yes it took an hour or so to get used to the UI again, modern MMO's are more user friendly :P but EQ is classic :D

Past: EQ,EQ2,SWG,MXO,Vanguard,PotBS,PS,CoX,GW,RG:TR,L2,Aion,AA,LotRo,DDO,EVE,WoW,CO,STO,P1999,FE,MCO,TDU,RIFT(beta),Perpetuum.
    Present: ...
    Future: TDU2,TOR,GW2.
    Wishlist: Motor City Online Remake.

• PhaethonPhaethon Member Posts: 43

Originally posted by lupisenparis

I heard vanguard is what eq was only better, open terrain based pve and lots of solo quests.
     Vanguard isn't  "bad" , just flawed.

Played it alot, until one day, I found a group, but it would take everyone about 20 mins traveltime to get there. So after about 20 mins running to the groupspot, it was disbanded and I was alone again. Then a new group starts... at the location I started from. /sigh. After another 20 mins run, the same thing happened, the group disbanded. Then, the groupleader of group 1 sends me a tell if I wanna try setting that group up again...

I quit... and never felt interested to log in again.

Its a good game, but its no EQ.

Past: EQ,EQ2,SWG,MXO,Vanguard,PotBS,PS,CoX,GW,RG:TR,L2,Aion,AA,LotRo,DDO,EVE,WoW,CO,STO,P1999,FE,MCO,TDU,RIFT(beta),Perpetuum.
    Present: ...
    Future: TDU2,TOR,GW2.
    Wishlist: Motor City Online Remake.

• gboostergbooster Member UncommonPosts: 712

Originally posted by lupisenparis

Vanguard is EZ mode compared to what EQ was. 

I find it so funny everyone thinks Vanguard is some kinda hard core game like the old EQ was, how that myth has perpeptuated even up to today is beyond me.  Vanguard might seem hard to someone who has only played WoW, Conan, EQ2 or pretty much any new MMO but its nothing compared to how hard and unforgiving EQ1 was. 

EQ1 was BRUTAL.   Kick me in the jimmy! again please! 

I still remember my first plane of fear raid... that 8 hour corpse run was good bonding time =D

• gboostergbooster Member UncommonPosts: 712

Originally posted by Phaethon

Vanguard isn't  "bad" , just flawed.

Played it alot, until one day, I found a group, but it would take everyone about 20 mins traveltime to get there. So after about 20 mins running to the groupspot, it was disbanded and I was alone again. Then a new group starts... at the location I started from. /sigh. After another 20 mins run, the same thing happened, the group disbanded. Then, the groupleader of group 1 sends me a tell if I wanna try setting that group up again...

I quit... and never felt interested to log in again.
    Its a good game, but its no EQ.
    The travel time issue that you mention here is gone now in Vanguard.  There is instant travel via the Rift system, which costs money to use, you can also rent a griffon for 25 copper for 5 mins that gives you 350 speed to fly where you need to go after you use the rift.  You can get about anywhere in the game in under 5 minutes now.  The performance has increased leaps and bounds as well.  It still hiccups and you have 2-3 secs of load time crossing chunks, but compared to how it was the first couple months... it is WAY better.  I came back to VG recently and am having a great time this go around.

As far as comparing it to my old EQ1 experience, nothing really will match the awesomeness, addiction and immersion I felt in that game. Probably because it was the first MMO I played and I was with a really great group of people.