Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Myth Of The Invisible Walls...

erandurerandur Member Posts: 727

I've been playing this for 3 years, and never have seen these so called "invisible walls". I thought people finally banned that from their heads, but just saw another review of Guild Wars (pretty recent). Which listed invisible walls as one of the down-sides of a game. True, the website I've read it on looked pretty foolish and ignorant. But I'm afraid they just discovered 'collisions'.

If anyone else has evidence of these actually being real... Please point me to a place, where they're supposed to be.

You know it, the best way to realize your dreams is waking up and start moving, never lose hope and always keep up.

Comments

• Ummm if you've played GW for 3 years and never hit a invisible wall you must of never walked off the path. In the STARTING area, or ANYWHERE try jump of a ledge or walk down a steep hill. You can't, not because of a tree, theres nothing there. oh wait except a invisible wall.

• samuraislyrsamuraislyr Member Posts: 122

Actually the OP is somewhat correct. Guild Wars: Prophecies was the worst for invisible walls. Cliffs you could not fall off (not a huge deal but still). Pathes that were blocked. Areas that looked like you could walk through them but it blocked you.

After that, the devs got a lot better with invisible walls and it basically came only to cliffs and trees and such. Not horrible but invisible walls are definitly in the game.

• I'm sorry but how is he "Somewhat correct" He sates there is a "Myth" of invisible walls, even you state they exsist meaning he is 100% wrong. Just because they aren't everywhere doesn't make him somewhat right because his statement is true if you only stick to the areas where there arn't invisible walls.

By that logic I can be somewhat correct by saying Russians don't exsist because i've never been to or met a Russian. Which obviously I wouldn't be. I would be very very wrong.

• erandurerandur Member Posts: 727

Again, learn about collisions and how Game Engines work. The Guild Wars 1 Engine didn't have a Z axis, making it impossible to "jump" of cliffs. If they didn't at collisions at the edge of cliffs, it would become a massive lagfest.

You know it, the best way to realize your dreams is waking up and start moving, never lose hope and always keep up.

Originally posted by kiers182

I'm sorry but how is he "Somewhat correct" He sates there is a "Myth" of invisible walls, even you state they exsist meaning he is 100% wrong. Just because they aren't everywhere doesn't make him somewhat right because his statement is true if you only stick to the areas where there arn't invisible walls.
    By that logic I can be somewhat correct by saying Russians don't exsist because i've never been to or met a Russian. Which obviously I wouldn't be. I would be very very wrong.

Staying on your example, you thought you saw a Russian, but he was from.. Lithuania or something like that.

• I'm sorry but your trying to prove invisible walls don't exsist by defining invisible walls and saying they are in the game. Some thing INVISIBLE that you can COLLIDE into is what is know as a INVISIBLE WALL! By the way thank you for just complete making me lose faith in the human race as intelligent beings.

I'm sorry but your trying to prove invisible walls don't exsist by defining invisible walls and saying they are in the game. Some thing INVISIBLE that you can COLLIDE into is what is know as a INVISIBLE WALL! By the way thank you for just complete making me lose faith in the human race as intelligent beings.

If you can't see when there's a cliff, you've stayed in your cellar for way too long. If you see cliff, and you know you can't walk of it, it isn't invisible... nor is it a wall...

• In Guild wars find a cliff, try run off it. Now after that go outside find a cliff and run full speed off it (Make sure you run really fast) In one you can't because something invisible stops you, and in the either you die. I hope the experiment helps you work out how there are invisible walls in GW.

• ZDPhoenixZDPhoenix Member UncommonPosts: 218

Originally posted by erandur

Again, learn about collisions and how Game Engines work. The Guild Wars 1 Engine didn't have a Z axis, making it impossible to "jump" of cliffs. If they didn't at collisions at the edge of cliffs, it would become a massive lagfest.

I really wouldn't attempt to tell people "L2Engine" when after a few weeks of playing Prophecies and Factions, I've bumped into these walls as well. I can't tell you anything about Nightfall or GW:EN though as I don't own either. But there's definitely these "safeguards" that pop up in game to prevent you from exploring what's behind empty space of Woods #1.

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

After playing for less than one day I've manage to run into quite a large amount of them. For example I sometimes get stuck between the storage agent and the storage, even though there obviously is a big open gap there. Additionally if you've runned relics in HA you should know that by body blocking you get what's called "rubberband", forcing you to use the /stuck to get connected to the server; while not exactly a invisible wall, it still is somewhat the same thing. If you're trying to tell me invisible walls don't exist in Guild Wars than you've got the definition of invisible walls wrong.

• samuraislyrsamuraislyr Member Posts: 122

I'm sorry but how is he "Somewhat correct" He sates there is a "Myth" of invisible walls, even you state they exsist meaning he is 100% wrong. Just because they aren't everywhere doesn't make him somewhat right because his statement is true if you only stick to the areas where there arn't invisible walls.

Sorry, I made a generalization there.... wasn't really talking about the "Myth" part just really meant that the invisible walls are not all that terrible.... no need to be angry.

• DookzDookz Member UncommonPosts: 562

I've come across quite a handful of these so called "invisible walls". One popular area are the edges of beaches. Guild Wars has many coastlines, just look on the map and port to that area. One particular area I encounter alot is in the Random Arena, D'alessio.

Playing now: Cities: Skyline / Ori and the Blind Forest / Banished

• ipod80gbipod80gb Member Posts: 90

u cant jump off a cliff... wait u cant jump at all...

• sokkyusokkyu Member Posts: 92
    Originally posted by ipod80gb

u cant jump off a cliff... wait u cant jump at all...

Well technically /jump allows you to jump. You can't go over anything but it still constitutes a jump. And I for one prefer invisble walls over scenery filled with extra junk just to define borders ie having every coastline lined with a fence to show where you can't walk anymore.

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

I laugh at anyone who says that there aren't invisible walls. Time and again I have been blocked from walking into an area and I wasn't going up or down, meaning I wasn't trying to get up or jump off of a cliff.

agree with above.

sometimes u cant walk too far into the oceans. u just get stopped

People just have to accept that this is how the game was built and that there is no chance Guild Wars will change every map just to suit the need of having seamless enviroments over easliy supportable instanced servers. Guild Wars 2 on the other hand is said to have a Z-axis so the situation will be resolved. It's not quite a game breaking problem anyhow unless you have horrid lag then you may disconnect from bodyblocking.

• cryoracryora Member Posts: 367

They're technically areas on the map that prevents you from walking inside them. Whether or not the developers brought this about by placing "invisible walls" around the world is not known.

These things, whatever they are, do exist, but that's not the issue. The real issue is what these things should be called. But only someone who understands the mechanics of Guild Wars would really know the answer.

Just like to point this out.

I think they're kind of like a 4th wall in the sense that crossing them would break the lots of important mechanics in game that make it seem more plausible ie: You can't swim in the water so you can't get to the over continents in Guild Wars. So I have to in a sense buy Factions so my character goes on a boat to Cantha. Otherwise I could be like why pay money when I can swim there for free biatch. Also I can't leave the Guild Island during a gvg and I dunno come back with an aggro of 50 devourers to kill the enemy team I guess. Games with maps that let you like swim to the edge of one side and appear on the otherside are more limiting in the sense that everything on your map is what is on the whole planet your on and adding a new continent with an expansion doesn't make to much sense unless you want to meddle with some really elaborate plotwist that brings Atlantis up from the ocean and so and so forth.

other games have actual walls or mountains tat prevents u from going out of the map.

gw just has 'invisible walls'. Which bothers some ppl....

Originally posted by ipod80gb

other games have actual walls or mountains tat prevents u from going out of the map.
    gw just has 'invisible walls'. Which bothers some ppl....

I think physical boundaries feel more limiting than invisible walls.

• zonzaizonzai Member Posts: 358

Wow, I'm surprised that anybody that has played the game for 3 years has never found an invisible wall. Lucky you, heh.

• ShastraShastra Member Posts: 1,061

Originally posted by erandur
    I've been playing this for 3 years, and never have seen these so called "invisible walls". I thought people finally banned that from their heads, but just saw another review of Guild Wars (pretty recent). Which listed invisible walls as one of the down-sides of a game. True, the website I've read it on looked pretty foolish and ignorant. But I'm afraid they just discovered 'collisions'.
    If anyone else has evidence of these actually being real... Please point me to a place, where they're supposed to be.

I hope you were just trying to be funny. Because no way in hell someone who played GW for 3 years never came across an invisible wall. My GOD.

Its not a myth its a fact.

• DookzDookz Member UncommonPosts: 562
    Originally posted by cryora

They're technically areas on the map that prevents you from walking inside them. Whether or not the developers brought this about by placing "invisible walls" around the world is not known.
    These things, whatever they are, do exist, but that's not the issue. The real issue is what these things should be called. But only someone who understands the mechanics of Guild Wars would really know the answer.
    Just like to point this out.

No. The real issue is the thread subject, not what it should be called. It's only natural for people to place names on something that is above and beyond their technical expertise. Names are just that.

Playing now: Cities: Skyline / Ori and the Blind Forest / Banished

If they wanted to ensue some chaos they could remove the boundaries for a weekend event. I'm sure many a lol filled time will be had.