Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Michigan/Florida delegates will be seated (somewhat)

DailyBuzzDailyBuzz Member Posts: 2,306

www.presstv.com/detail.aspx

Will this satisfy the Clinton supporters? Probably not, but at least it's a resolution.

Comments

• BaronJuJuBaronJuJu Member UncommonPosts: 1,832

No matter what the outcome was today, Hillary was taking this to the convention. She whined that FL and MI didn't have a voice, now they do, albeit with a penalty for doing what they did. The outcome doesn't matter though, she will tear the party apart in order to get her chance at the prize.

"If we don't attack them, they will attack us first. So we'd better retaliate before they have a chance to strike"

• pb1285npb1285n Member Posts: 505

Originally posted by BaronJuJu

No matter what the outcome was today, Hillary was taking this to the convention. She whined that FL and MI didn't have a voice, now they do, albeit with a penalty for doing what they did. The outcome doesn't matter though, she will tear the party apart in order to get her chance at the prize.

Oh yeah the people of these two states should not be counted for because of a choice they had no control over. This is democracy alright, only being counted as half a person.

• olddaddyolddaddy Member Posts: 3,356

The rules were agreed to up front by the Michigan Democratic party. They then went and changed their primary date in violation of those rules they had previously agreed to. This was nothing more than a poor attempt to deliver Michigan to Hillary Clinton and start a streamroller effect. The Michigan Democratic party was warned, and went ahead and changed the primary date anyway. They had no concern for Michigan Democratic voters, who were/are very pissed off at the party. Their little back room politic shenanigan failed miserably, now they should suffer the consequences.

Personally, I feel Howard Dean and the national Democratic party should stick to their guns and hold the Michigan Democratic Party responsible for it's actions and NOT seat any delegates from Michigan at the National Convention. What good are rules if there are no repurcussions to violation?

• bluberryhazebluberryhaze Member Posts: 1,702

fuck the delegates. seat none of them. just count all the votes towards the popular totals and go into the convention from there. every vote should be counted.

will it? i havent read or seen anything about this.

-I will subtlety invade your psyche-

• BaronJuJuBaronJuJu Member UncommonPosts: 1,832

Originally posted by pb1285n

Originally posted by BaronJuJu

Oh yeah the people of these two states should not be counted for because of a choice they had no control over. This is democracy alright, only being counted as half a person.

I never said they shouldn't be counted, they (the states) broke a rule and were penalized for it. Luckily the DNC helped them and modified the penalty to ensure their voices were heard.  The people of FL and MI should be taking their frustrations out on the legislators that voted for them to move their primary in the first place. Clinton only cared about this when she needed the delegates. If the situation was reversed and Obama won those states she would be screaming to keep the original ruling. Remember, she signed on and knew last August that this wouldn't count and had no problem with it then.

/shrug

Its all over for most folks 3 June. Clinton will probably campaign until August to try and pay off that , what $20 million+ debt she racked up.

*edited for minor spelling errors

"If we don't attack them, they will attack us first. So we'd better retaliate before they have a chance to strike"

• olddaddyolddaddy Member Posts: 3,356

Originally posted by bluberryhaze

fuck the delegates. seat none of them. just count all the votes towards the popular totals and go into the convention from there. every vote should be counted.
    will it? i havent read or seen anything about this.
    Except only Hillary's name was on the ballot in Michigan. I wanted to vote for Joe Biden, but was denied that vote by the Michigan Democratic party when they moved up the primary date.

The Michigan Democratic party needs a big shake up, with many sent packing. We have been in a recession in Michigan now for about 4 years, and the Michigan governor and legislature don't have a clue. Neither do Michigan Republicans get it.

• CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

I don't care how much money the Clintons lost campaigning.  Thier campaign spending was ludicris at $106 million before John McCain won the Republican nomination.  Now its in the $200 million range.  The costs are only matched by Obama.

You can't really count Michigan or Florida since the only name on the ballot was Hillary Clinton.  Ofcourse she won those states.  Although I admire her for not doing what the other Democrats did, by putting her name on the ballot.  The Democratic Nominee system is just so flawed in getting a real perspective of its constituents views with things like black flagging states votes, and Super Delegates.

• cityzencityzen Member CommonPosts: 313

Kind of a step backwards from counting slaves as 3/5th vote back in the 1700s. I was watching C-Span during this yesterday and Michigan and Florida had a good point about rotating who gets to go first in the primaries, it shouldn't be just one or two states. It was kind of creepy to watch the proccedings though, it felt like the fix was in to get Obama the nomination.

Truthfully I wasn't leaning towards either candidate in this problem, or the election, but after thinking about it I have another problem with the Michigan resolution, beside the 1/2 vote thing.

Obama VOLUNTARILY took his name off the list of candidates in Michigan, along with three other democrats. There is a time to follow rules and a time to make your own decision. It seems kind of puppet-like for Obama to just do as he was told in that case, especially knowing that it would essentially make all the people that bothered to even vote have no voice. And in our form of government voting is really the only voice most people have. I would expect a nominee for president to know the difference. Giving all 55 undecided deligates to Obama is also unfair, I mean they used exit polls for God's sake to come up with that...EXIT POLLS!! Hillary did the smart thing and stayed on the ballot, along with three other candidates as well.

In my opinion this is more about getting Obama the nomination than doing the "right thing".

Don't get me wrong being brown skinned myself I would love to see another brown skin be the President, not this way though.

------------------------------------

• abbabaabbaba Member Posts: 1,143

Originally posted by CleffyII

I don't care how much money the Clintons lost campaigning.  Thier campaign spending was ludicris at $106 million before John McCain won the Republican nomination.  Now its in the $200 million range.  The costs are only matched by Obama.
    You can't really count Michigan or Florida since the only name on the ballot was Hillary Clinton.  Ofcourse she won those states.  Although I admire her for not doing what the other Democrats did, by putting her name on the ballot.  The Democratic Nominee system is just so flawed in getting a real perspective of its constituents views with things like black flagging states votes, and Super Delegates.
    Actually, Obama was on the ballot in Florida but not Michigan.

Yes, the good old democratic party, instead of 3/5 of a person this time democrats in Michigan and florida are only worth 1/2 of democrats in the other 48 states