Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA Mythic and Blizzard are the only truly quality mmo gaming companies out there

Comments

• bachanambachanam Member Posts: 335
    Originally posted by Satarious

Originally posted by bachanam

Blizzard i definately agree with, but EA Mythic i dont know too much about thier MMO history *avoided ea games... ... closed MCO and made me play sims:online....* What exactly does EA Mythic have under their belt that is a huge success in the pay2play MMO market?

Two words:  DaoC endgame.  They invented the term RvR (Realm vs. Realm) and they're the only company that has gotten Keep warfare and open field warfare right.

I never made it to the endgame in daoc, but i did enjoy the game an insane amount. and the realm vs. realm and forntier/siege warfare always sounded REALLY well done

"Sometimes, things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most. People are basically good. Honor, courage, virtue mean everything. Power and money, money and power mean nothing. Good always triumphs over evil. Love, True Love Never Dies."
    Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

l2 is at the end of its life aion is coming, guildwars is a neverending succes so of coarse they neglect l2 a bit and lets face it l2 have been warring with bot for years and even with all the great thing they tried to prevent it ,in l2 they still are having nightmare about the fact that the game is boted to death and they cant do anything about it.

so they re on the cruise till their new pay-puppy(aion)turn in

l2 got good stuff but bot killed the game.

i hope when aion hit in 2009 they put a AH system instead of l2 personnal style store

• ValiumSummerValiumSummer Member Posts: 1,008

Originally posted by tool089

All you did was name the companies of some games that you liked, not actually successful games..  Blizzard and NCsoft made quality MMOs. No questions asked.

Puhleeze!  NCSOFT?!  Lineage II ring a bell?  Complete and utter piece of trash and one of the biggest flops at that.  NCSOFT is no different from Funcom, as far as I'm concerned.

No.  I've played every mmo out there and I can safely say that Mythic and Blizzard are the best at what they do.

People here need to stop stating opinions as fact.

I happened to like Lineage II very much... and its hardly a "flop" .   

Fortunately for all of us you are not the end all authority on such matters.

• KrudeKrude Member Posts: 19

what i want is to see people stop defending EA, they havn't proven to be capable of anything.  it's no different than say a terrorist buying a "how-to" instruction guide to making a nuke and then making one.  they don't make quality anything, they buy companies that make quality games.  they're practically just buying people, anyone who has skill and innovation and then slaving them and making them release everything as fast as possible... they don't even make good sports games, they're the only company with rights to make sports game except 2K... which they're attempting to buy.  yay... (like how i used terrorists to explain EA? :D)  squaresoft needs to make a new MMO and this time not have crazy ass controls, i couldn't even figure out how to talk at first without going through the booklet to find out.  since it's a thread of opinions, my opinion is Square enix, Blizzard (although they need to make a new MMO to really prove it to me), Mythic, and SOE (they're capable hence SWG before they "enhanced it") i'd say their the best.  But you definitely have to give Turbine credit for DDO consider it wasn't bad and it's got a lot more innovation and isn't like the rest of the MMO's.

btw... this IS EA's first MMO isn't it?  I'd like to believe that if you were a major company with the proper funding capabilities... you wouldn't want to rush and try to at least do it right the very first time... but considering the crack babies and abused children who keep growing up and then taking over everything... who knows what the retards that run such companies believe in.

• IndoIndo Member Posts: 252

WOW!!!!! (no pun intended) To imply that EA is as good as Blizzard with regards to MMO's is ludicrous. EA is good at sports games that it can reproduce each year but it's track record in MMO's is dismal at best.

• SatariousSatarious Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Originally posted by Indo

WOW!!!!! (no pun intended) To imply that EA is as good as Blizzard with regards to MMO's is ludicrous. EA is good at sports games that it can reproduce each year but it's track record in MMO's is dismal at best.

EA MYTHIC.  See what I did there?  I added MYTHIC to EA.  Reading comprehension.  It's your friend.

Mythic is working on this WAR project, not EA.  EA is just the muscle.

• TheSheikhTheSheikh Member Posts: 804

EAMythic

Mythic = Creating the MMO

EA = Giving Mythic money ($ $ $ $ $) to make the MMO

STOP WHINING!

Originally posted by Zorndorf

To the OP:
    Blizzard =
    Diablo: BIG hit hack/slash game
    WC2 and certainly WC3: BIG hit RTS Adventure game
    SC: BIG hit RTS game
    Wow: biggest ever MMORPG.
    Conclusion:
    Blizzard is the best PC game company when it comes to quality, polishment and GAMING value.
    in about ANY genre.
    And I would have liked that BLIZZARD(!) made the new Warhammer RvR game, because I am convinced they would outdo Mythic by a long shot.
    ALSO: DO NOT FORGET :
    Basic Wow ALREADY made DAoC (old WAR) obsolete 3.5 years ago and THIS time:  compare WAR with the open world PvP of WotLK (hint hint: air battles, sea battles, mounted combat tanks, siege battles, siege artillery,...) and STILL the people will have MASSIVE new PVE content in WotLK, which btw returns to the mighty lore of Azeroth.
    So watching those videos of lame PvP WAR movement (it's as if some 70 year old play a video game), I wouldn't cry too loud.
    Too slow, too static is the one comment I always here about WAR Beta fights.
    Faster and smoother animation in fighting is more than needed (compare it with the Champions League foootball: the moment I want slower play I can look at my local downtown football club, but for the real action I need the Champions League).

Blizzard made a quality PvE mmorpg.  No doubt about that.  But when it comes to PvP, they suck.  The fact is, Blizzard simply doesn't have the capability to do a proper PvP in an MMO.  I can't count how many times they've revamped their craptacular PvP system only to make it even worse each time.  They KNEW they had a weak end-game and a pathetic PvP system.  Otherwise, why would they keep revamping the thing?  The only thing Battlegrounds and Arenas accomplished was to suck all the energy out of open world PvP and turn an MMO pvp into a series of single player (with internet competitors) capture the flag borefests.  Guild Wars would be a better option for that.

Mythic was the only MMO company out there who truly made a fun and lasting end-game pvp.  It was realm vs. realm and required cooperation of 100s of players.  THAT'S what an MMO should be all about, not a series of small competitions and phat lootz.  And since I place a higher value on PvP and end-game than PvE, I can safely say that Daoc was a better game than WoW overall (warts and all).  Not bad for a game made on a SHOESTRING budget.  Imagine what Mythic can do with the backing of a cash cow company like EA.  It's going to blow the doors off of WoW and any other MMO out there.

You think Blizzard should have made WAR?  I just puked in my mouth...

And I would have liked that BLIZZARD(!) made the new Warhammer RvR game, because I am convinced they would outdo Mythic by a long shot.
    Is that why they already failed to do so once before?

STOP WHINING!

Originally posted by TheSheikh

Is that why they already failed to do so once before?

And ... WHICH game the players choose to play ?

I'm not talking about WoW, which is a very successful and fun game. However.....

In the past, when Blizzard was but a wee company (before the first Warcraft game was created) they were given the opportunity to create a Warhammer game by GW but failed to do so, Games Workshop pulled the license because they were disappointed with Blizzard wanting to change too much of the IP.

Also one of the reasons Warcraft is deeply inspired by Warhammer lore.

STOP WHINING!

• bee52bee52 Member Posts: 158

Re: the OP. I'm quite sure you'd find all MMO developers can be quality developers and turn out amazing stuff. It's not just the developer that determines the success of a game though. Budget, time, publisher demands, past experience and so on.

Blizzard made a quality PvE mmorpg.  No doubt about that.  But when it comes to PvP, they suck.  The fact is, Blizzard simply doesn't have the capability to do a proper PvP in an MMO.  I can't count how many times they've revamped their craptacular PvP system only to make it even worse each time.  They KNEW they had a weak end-game and a pathetic PvP system.  Otherwise, why would they keep revamping the thing?  The only thing Battlegrounds and Arenas accomplished was to suck all the energy out of open world PvP and turn an MMO pvp into a series of single player (with internet competitors) capture the flag borefests.  Guild Wars would be a better option for that.
    Mythic was the only MMO company out there who truly made a fun and lasting end-game pvp.  It was realm vs. realm and required cooperation of 100s of players.  THAT'S what an MMO should be all about, not a series of small competitions and phat lootz.  And since I place a higher value on PvP and end-game than PvE, I can safely say that Daoc was a better game than WoW overall (warts and all).  Not bad for a game made on a SHOESTRING budget.  Imagine what Mythic can do with the backing of a cash cow company like EA.  It's going to blow the doors off of WoW and any other MMO out there.
    You think Blizzard should have made WAR?  I just puked in my mouth...
    Well ... think twice.

The arena system was an answer to the GW hit where small scale skirmish were a success.

The arena system has one thing made possible: have massive amounts of data to analyse HOW classes interact with each others in 3vs3/5vs5 fights and HOW to fine tune them.

These massive data of fights serve to tune the classes to a degree never made possible before for any MMORPG. It resulted even in a competiton where the gear was chosen by the players themselves just to fine tune even furter the differences.

Now Blizzard announced they would use these micro data not only in their balanced BG's, but also on the newly BALANCED open world in WotLK.

You made the same mistake again :

WAR isn't up against basic Wow (pure PVE and added BG's after a couple of months),

WAR isn't up to Wow TBC (PVE and added tuned Arena/BG's), ..

WAR is up to WotLK.

Will WAR have flying bombardment units ? (in fact ANY flying units at all), mounted combat? Tanks ? Sea battles ?

WAR is up against a game which has much more choices in its end game than 2 years ago.

If you have faith that WotLK will be any different than all of Blizzard's other attempts to revamp their pvp, then you're a sucker and you worship a false God.  I doubt if WoW's infrastructure could even handle warfare on a massive scale.  Why do you think they've invented Battlegrounds and Arenas to suck World PvP dry to begin with?  More features?   Hardly.  I found it laughable how they tried to copy  DaoC's Keeps.  It was a complete and utter joke.  A mere shadow of Daoc's glory when it came to rvr and Keep warfare.  The keeps stood like pathetic empty shells that ONE person could take by just sitting on it while a timer bar went across the screen.

WotLK will be nothing but more of the same, as far as I'm concerned.  Which is why WAR is going to break all records when it's released.

• iZakaroNiZakaroN Member UncommonPosts: 719

Originally posted by bachanam

Blizzard i definately agree with, but EA Mythic i dont know too much about thier MMO history *avoided ea games... ... closed MCO and made me play sims:online....* What exactly does EA Mythic have under their belt that is a huge success in the pay2play MMO market?

EA mythic is the leading MMORPG company. They have the best MMOs up to date: UO and DAoC. This games set the beginning of everything new in MMO. Blizzard just get this ideas and simplified them (ruined them).

Where themepark games try to hide that they are copying WOW, games like Mortal Online and Darkfall make no attempt to hide their inspiration
    ______\m/_____
    LordOfDarkDesire
  • lupisenparislupisenparis Member Posts: 185

I believe war isnt going to break any records simply because niche groups are often wrong when predicting mass appeal for the next and the next and the next contending game. 

• PoemasterPoemaster Member Posts: 80

You are wrong sir EA ruined the greatest MMO ever created Ultima Online I have no faith in that company they will eventually ruin WAR if they have not already o and btw World Of Warcraft is nothing special sorta lacking compared to other MMOs there is nothing to do and trust me I have played out the game.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

Guess every one forgot the days of TOA ..

Originally posted by Precusor

Guess every one forgot the days of TOA ..

I didn't.  That's why I said, "warts and all."  The endgame was still far superior to anything WoW ever put out.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

lol,your right can you imagine this guys and gal

1 wow as been a succes story for a long while twirling wow finger around every game that tried to compete with them and they do that on a game that is what 2 no i think its 3 years old

2 hell 1 year in the pay mmorpg is an eternity

3 i dont think blizzard as been idle in their studio they probably have a new game in there but why bother lol

no game make is even close to wow and the one that is (nc soft)doesnt make near as mutch as wow bring in every year

it alays bring me a smile when i see this old men (wow)beats the crap out of young pupy in number and quality(other game)since we all know that the game graphic were never gona be anything but cartoonish (i love it)the graphic were never an issue.

• IndoIndo Member Posts: 252

EAMythic

= EA will be the one to pull the plug on this game in less than 3 years

Don't hink it's possible? Look at EA's MMO track record.

EAMythic

= EA will be the one to pull the plug on this game in less than 3 years

Don't hink it's possible? Look at EA's MMO track record.

Sure... EA is capable of doing such things, but they have no reasons to do so.

EA has new management and I assure you they will not pull the plug on Warhammer.

STOP WHINING!

• ScarzarScarzar Member Posts: 10

Well i don't see how this proves that Blizzard and Mythic are hte only 2 great MMO company's.  Also, the person that says all EA does is make sports games must be on some pritty good "stuff" you get me?

I'm not about to dout that you truly think that they are the 2 great company's. Honistly i can't wait for Warhammer, and WoTLK but i do not review any game before it has been out for a year.  The only game I did not was AoC and when I got it I was shocked.  That is anouther thing (not saying AOC is bad just needs LOTS of work) to say one company is better then anouther is complete arogence on your part. 

Warhammer = Might suck? Might not?

WoW = Great suckess, played it for 2 years :)

WoTLK = Looks like an OK expantion at best right now

AoC = Came out before its time

What im trying to say is ALOT of games are deciving in there methodes of advertisments, some i belive to be the media but, I think the only way game companys have to do to get alot of people on is just be honist, work hard on bugs and graphics, tell the FACTS good or bad to everyone, and there games will make me want to buy them.

PM me if any of this is confusing i would be glad to explain further

WAAAAAAGH

• IxnatifualIxnatifual Member Posts: 475

Hopefully EA will continue to stay outside the actual development of the game after launch as well and let Mythic call the shots.

• KusanohaKusanoha Member Posts: 47

Honestly, any company that has an MMO out for more than 3 years, has a subscription rate of over 200,000 at ANY time, and doesn't just go bankrupt?

Should by all accounts be considered successful. Other than WoW and Lineage, the MMO market is a cast-iron bitch of a thing. No amount of whining will change that MMOs are STILL a niche market product, with every MMO in the world being lucky to get any revenue, let alone 200,000 + and several years of successful server operation.

But no, I don't think they are the only two companies that are successful. I think Mythic is successful in that they seem to be the only company out there to listen to their playerbase AND create a AAA game, and blizzard... well, 10 million subscribers is a huge accomplishment, all crappy gameplay aside.

[Begin Sarcasm]

Girls don't use the internet unless theres a webcam involved....its a physical impossibility.

They also don't play them thar vidya gaymes, mmorpg = most men online role play girls...even in ventrillo.

-kyte317

• LuckyRLuckyR Member UncommonPosts: 260

HEHE  you do take a lot of drugs, or just got off the banana boat....

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

You forgot NCSoft, Squarenix and soon to be Bioware.

After Bioware releases their mmo every other developer will be nothing to me.