Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Open Beta: DarkSpace

DrafellDrafell Member Posts: 588

DarkSpace is an old game. By old I mean it has been running now for 7 years, and through stubborn determination has managed to outlast many other better known titles.

The official blurb is as follows:

DarkSpace is a Massively Multiplayer Online Game set in the time of space travel and interstellar warfare. The universe has become a tumultuous place in the future of political infighting, economic sanctions and diplomatic posturing. All of the factions have high hostility towards one another with a few outposts staying neutral, at least initially, to determine their best interest.

Translated, this equates to flying around in space ships, blowing-up other enemy space ships, and committing mass-genocide by depopulating planets with thermo-nuclear bombs.

Explodey boom.

Yay.

I am not going to lie... if you are looking for a free version of EvE-Online, this is not the game for you. It's graphics are a little dated, and although it does have a character progression, it doesn't have a mission or quest system outside of letting you know that "Earth is under attack". But hey, that doesn't matter unless you are the faction that owns Earth, in which case you have problems...

Anyway, back to the point of this thread.

We are currently running an Open Beta for the next version of DarkSpace. It is being developed by a group of volunteers, so it might be good, it may be bad, and it might often be buggy. Regardless, I am proud of what we have achieved so far, considering this is the first project most of us have ever worked on. I would be really interested in getting feedback from new players on areas that we could improve, as we are now getting reasonably close to a release candidate.

If you want to help out, you can download the installer here, create an account, and you are free to go.

Everyone is welcome, and even if you decide that you cannot stand the game, you might just become one of the many Lobby campers that we seem to attract.

Every little helps, I suppose.

Oh yes, this is a little video thingy that one of the community members (Leviatan) made for us.

Enjoy.

http://beta.darkspace.net

Comments

• harabasharabas Member Posts: 100

what's the business model for this one after it goes live?

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Edited: I misread the OP. Nvm.

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120

I will  give it a try and i`ll post later how is it ;)

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• DrafellDrafell Member Posts: 588

The business model is pay2play with an unlimited-time 'demo' mode as well.
    You also get a 14-day trial coupon when you create an account which allows you to access any ships your statistics (and prestige) would allow you to. This can be redeemed at leisure, and as you can still gain stats in 'demo' mode we usually recommend you play for a week or two before redeeming it.

In effect this system means you can access basic ships for free, but the more advanced ones require a subscription.

Beta is completely free, and the above doesn't apply.

We are looking at other possible options, but we do still have to cover the server running costs.

For those interested, below are links to a some video tests of lighting effects we are working on. They may not be that fantastic by modern standards, but as the existing version does not currently have any except for the stars...

Fusion Torpedo Explosion Lighting - Test 2

AM Torpedo Explosion Lighting - Test 3