Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WotLK: bringing favouritism back to alliance

gathgath Member Posts: 424

So, a friend of mine as been playing around with the 'sandbox' for WotLK, and besides all the info already out, he is noticing something 'peculiar', although he cant explain it well.

But all things point to having alliance as the favoured faction again, like it was on release, and stopped being when BC came out.

On BC the 'pretty belfs'+horde were dominating on all the marketing made by Blizz, oposed to the alliance biased marketing made on release, but now on WotLK the alliance is coming back to marketing. And from that sandbox, he said that the favoured villages location/size is again heavily biased on alliance.

Now, only time will tell if the Lore(lol) and actual gameplay will keep this trend or not.

Feel as you will for the above post, i'm just saying what i and a friend feel like from the WotLK so far.

Senhores da Guerra

Comments

• HexxeityHexxeity Member Posts: 848

Pretty characters are a lot easier to market than scary non-human ones.

It's not all that surprising.

• misterorffmisterorff Member Posts: 28

Horde to Northrend: Take a Zeplin from 2 of your capital cities.

Alliance to Northrend: Take a boat from 2 cities that you never go to past lvl 40... but first, take a griff ride.

Also, have leveled Alliance and Horde to lvl 70. There is no Alliance Bias. There is no Horde Bias. They are different.

• gathgath Member Posts: 424

Originally posted by misterorff

Alliance to Northrend: Take a boat from 2 cities that you never go to past lvl 40... but first, take a griff ride.

Also, have leveled Alliance and Horde to lvl 70. There is no Alliance Bias. There is no Horde Bias. They are different.
    The boat are that way... still... they aparently will change. Just google for info, you will find some. Cant post it directly, believe it is on NDA restrictions, not sure.

Alliance started biased, then bias gone to horde, so it somewhat levered it.

Senhores da Guerra

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,852

The Alliance bias in TBC was in the quests. The Horde quests SUCKED, especially in HFP.

So, a prevalent Alliance bias in WotLK is not surprising, I would say it's expected.

Originally posted by Xiaoki

The Alliance bias in TBC was in the quests. The Horde quests SUCKED, especially in HFP.
    So, a prevalent Alliance bias in WotLK is not surprising, I would say it's expected.
    Are you for real?

HFP quests from both sides were almost exactaly the same. If any bias existed, was towards horde, with the Mag'Har quests, giving the stupid +80 spell dmg staff. I said "if bias existed" since as far as i know alliance had a similar "faction only" quest later on, that horde didnt had.

Senhores da Guerra

• YalarukoYalaruko Member Posts: 11

have you never looked at all the Fp's that horde has in EVERY zone that an instance is in... Alliance has to RUN RUN RUN all the way to them... while horde can casually walk to them from one of their MANY FP's.  Horde gets different BS patterns that Ally doesn't have access to.

Aliiance biased... Get real.

• Pappy13Pappy13 Member Posts: 2,138

Unless you are a mage or know a mage.  Besides once you reach Dalaran and set your hearthstone there you won't ever need to return to Theramore.

• AntipathyAntipathy Member UncommonPosts: 1,362

Originally posted by Yalaruko

have you never looked at all the Fp's that horde has in EVERY zone that an instance is in... Alliance has to RUN RUN RUN all the way to them... while horde can casually walk to them from one of their MANY FP's.  Horde gets different BS patterns that Ally doesn't have access to.
    Aliiance biased... Get real.

Yes - like the barrens - 3 instances there (WC, RFK, RFD). No alliance flight points.

Silverpine forest - one instance (SFK), no alliance flight points

Or what about Tirisfal glades - one of the most popular collections of instances in the game (SM), no alliance flight points for a distance of several zones (not counting the plaguelands - which is too dangerous for people at SM levels).

Or the swamp of sorrows - one instance(ST), no alliance flight points.

Ignoring old level 60 instances, which no one goes to nowadays, and the stockades, which is alliance only (just like horde has RFC), the only instances I can think of that are more convenient for alliance are Gnomeregan, Deadmines and BRD. As opposed to the six described above for horde. And horde gets a free teleport to Gnomer (could alliance have a teleport to SM please?).

So lol at the previous poster. You are way off the mark.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,852

Originally posted by gath

Originally posted by Xiaoki

Are you for real?

HFP quests from both sides were almost exactaly the same. If any bias existed, was towards horde, with the Mag'Har quests, giving the stupid +80 spell dmg staff. I said "if bias existed" since as far as i know alliance had a similar "faction only" quest later on, that horde didnt had.

Let's take 3 examples then shall we.

Alliance - Fel Orc Scavengers - kill 20 fel orcs - very easy

Horde - Bonechewer Blood - get 10 quest drops - the drop rate for the blood is like 1 in 5, so you have to kill a ton more to get the same rewards as Alliance

Alliance - Zeth'gor must Burn - light fireworks at 4 locations - can be done with minimal killing

Horde - Grillok Darkeye - must do 2 prequests first then kill target - first you go into Zeth'gor to kill Worg Master that has 2 adds, then you grab one of the floating eyes then you have to kill this guy

Alliance - Drill the Drillmaster - kill a 63 elite - drop down to where he is, kill like 2 fel orcs around him, get him. Quest chain, prerequisite quest chains and elite is easily soloable by most classes.

Horde - Foot the Citadel - kill a 63 elite - less quests overall to do but the final quest is far from soloable. For the last quest alone you have to clear some trash, then kill a 63 elite which will spawn the 63 elite you need for the quest who has 2 adds. Both elites are not soloable and in most cases not duoable either.

Also, I found it weird that the Horde has much more crappy drop rate quests than Alliance. Horde has 3 quests where you have to get blood from something. The only bad drop rate quests I can remember for Alliance in HFP is Cursed Talismans in Zeth'gor and Makuru's Vengeance. I would rather take whatever lame kill quest you have over some infuriating quest drop quest with a drop rate of 1 in 5 or lower.

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

kinda makes sense lore wise.  the horde were not really that prominent in the campaign to kill Arthas

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• Black_ElvisBlack_Elvis Member Posts: 188

Horde racials favor PvP.

Alliance racials favor PvE.

Blizzard has/is/will make PvP more important and will continue to do so while making PvE less and less important.

Therefore,

Bliz favors horde.

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918

Alliance are easier to level, I've done both, and there is no question that Alliance is easier...The quests are explained better, easier to find, easier to accomplish, and..well...yeah that pretty much says it.

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

• CypryssCypryss Member Posts: 84

So, a friend of mine as been playing around with the 'sandbox' for WotLK, and besides all the info already out, he is noticing something 'peculiar', although he cant explain it well.
    But all things point to having alliance as the favoured faction again, like it was on release, and stopped being when BC came out.
    On BC the 'pretty belfs'+horde were dominating on all the marketing made by Blizz, oposed to the alliance biased marketing made on release, but now on WotLK the alliance is coming back to marketing. And from that sandbox, he said that the favoured villages location/size is again heavily biased on alliance.
    Now, only time will tell if the Lore(lol) and actual gameplay will keep this trend or not.

Feel as you will for the above post, i'm just saying what i and a friend feel like from the WotLK so far.

What does it matter ? It won't make them pvp any better or give them an edge in progression.

Originally posted by Black_Elvis

Horde racials favor PvP.
    Blizzard has/is/will make PvP more important and will continue to do so while making PvE less and less important.
    Therefore,
    Bliz favors horde.
    Funny, i would do anything to have some of the alliance racials on my (ex) horde char.

It's all a matter of "know how", but alas, most people dont even know what that means.

Everyone i've seen saying allie racials are not good, are the exact same ones that dont know how to use them. So, in basic terms, for all to understand: fail.

Originally posted by Cypryss

What does it matter ? It won't make them pvp any better or give them an edge in progression.

Double fail.

Senhores da Guerra

• abbabaabbaba Member Posts: 1,143

Originally posted by Black_Elvis

Horde racials favor PvP.
    Therefore,
    Bliz favors horde.
    Funny, i would do anything to have some of the alliance racials on my (ex) horde char.

It's all a matter of "know how", but alas, most people dont even know what that means.

Everyone i've seen saying allie racials are not good, are the exact same ones that dont know how to use them. So, in basic terms, for all to understand: fail.

Originally posted by Cypryss

Double fail.

Horde have by far the better PvP racials, UD have the anti-fear/mez ability, Orcs have the stun resist racial, Tauren have Warstomp and a health bonus. The only horde race with poor racials are trolls.

Alliance have some PvP racials like stoneform and perception, but the problem with Alliance PvP racials are that they either aren't very good or don't work very well. Horde clearly has the advantage.

• AntipathyAntipathy Member UncommonPosts: 1,362

Take shamen for example. Alliance shamen are force to play Draenei, who get two wonderful racial abilites.

1) Gift of the naaru - the ability to self heal. So as a racial ability I can do something that shamen can do anyway, but more crapply. It's not completely useless (e.g. it can be used when OOM or counterspelled), but it''s still pretty poor (e.g. it is almost impossible to cast whilst attacked, since the anti-spell interruption talents shamen get don't work on the racial).

2) And I also get spell hit - that well known stat that everyone gems for in PvP.

Compared to horde racials, such as the taurens bonus health and warstomp or orcish stun resistance,  the draenei racials are completely crap. And alliance shamen can be nothing else.

Many of the other alliance racials only tend to favour certain classes/specs - e.g. perception only really shines in rogue v. rogue battles.

IMO, the only good alliance pvp race is gnome (for escape artist). The others are all weaker than the racials of any horde race.

• theniffrigtheniffrig Member UncommonPosts: 351

I think that's why Stormwind City is getting its own port in WOTLK.