Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

love it but runs badly

DeadlyMageDeadlyMage Member Posts: 543
so i reactivated my account today and have been playing around. i am havening fun but the game runs like s*iy on my rig.

i have a q6600 overcloked , 4gb of ram and a 3870x2 overclocked . everything is stable so there is nothing wrong my end

i hear that the performance improves out of the starter area, is this true?

Comments

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129

From what I hear, older games like EQ2 and VG only take advantage of a single cpu. So even if you had 4 processers, only one is reccognized.

But with your card, I don't see why you can't crank it up.

Then again I am no techy

My rig is some what new and I can only run medium settings on EQ2

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Playing on a EU or US server? When I cange from EU to Us my lagg disapered totaly... There is some rumour that the EU servers are outdated, might be true cause I know many EU players plying on US server because they perform better.

Otherwise I reccomend you to check the drivers for your graphics card, get the latest if you dont have it already. ATI cards runs best with drivers from www.omegadrivers.com (the original drivers are really hard to tweak by some reason).

Also check so your server isnt overpopulated.

• ElJackylElJackyl Member Posts: 54

Just to throw in my personal experience. I bought a $550 laptop from circuit city mainly for my girlfriend to play EQ2 on. I'm sure it's a matter of perception but she thinks it runs great and I think it does just fine myself. We also play it with our wireless connection.  Now i'm sure with your higher grade system you are expecting better performance than what you are getting. Like I said, I'm sure it's a matter of perception. We are not really sticklers for monitoring framerates and things like that. Anyway just wanted to share my personal xp. As far as performance after the newbie island it may be a little better. I also suspect that the game's code is not written to take advantage of the full power of your system.

The PC we play on is an Acer Aspire 5720z. 1.6 dual core, 2gb ram, 358mb integrated card. I just let it run on the default settings which is the very high performance preset. 

• DeadlyMageDeadlyMage Member Posts: 543

il try out the us server :) and i have all the lates drives and hotfixes for my card :)

my q6600 is overclocked to 3.4ghz so even of it can only read one core it should be more than enough as the recomended is 2.4 :P

Originally posted by ElJackyl

Just to throw in my personal experience. I bought a $550 laptop from circuit city mainly for my girlfriend to play EQ2 on. I'm sure it's a matter of perception but she thinks it runs great and I think it does just fine myself. We also play it with our wireless connection.  Now i'm sure with your higher grade system you are expecting better performance than what you are getting. Like I said, I'm sure it's a matter of perception. We are not really sticklers for monitoring framerates and things like that. Anyway just wanted to share my personal xp. As far as performance after the newbie island it may be a little better. I also suspect that the game's code is not written to take advantage of the full power of your system.
    The PC we play on is an Acer Aspire 5720z. 1.6 dual core, 2gb ram, 358mb integrated card. I just let it run on the default settings which is the very high performance preset. 

problem is fps goes down to 10 fps when i get to an area with allot of npc. i wouldnt mind if i had a steady 25 - 30 fps :)

thanks anyway :p

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

The Complete Guide to Display Settings Options

www.theclenchedfist.com/Content/pa=showpage/pid=15.html

turning Bloom effects off

turning Floral Displacement off

helped my performance

Originally posted by Nadia

helped my performance

thank you il check it out

• quaikyquaiky Member Posts: 566

eq2 has some big problems with utilising newer hardware, the engine was plant for high cpu clock speeds and to run on gfx cards like geforce 3 on other side.

since geforce 3 cannot do much a lot things that more modern games do in gpu are done by cpu in eq2. so if you had a 5ghz+ single core cpu it would run perfect, multiple cores are only rarely utilised in things like loading textures..., faster gfx cards help a bit but not much.

so summarizing this all it basically comes down to your cpu#s clockspeed how good the game runs, if your cpu is not that fast you have to disable some of the more cpu intensive things (shadows, flora, cloth simulation) to gain fps.

• lomillerlomiller Member Posts: 1,810

Originally posted by Nadia

helped my performance

Also, you should turn shadows down or off, and turn off font smoothing.  You should also add the line r_aa_blit 1 to your EQ2.ini file. This will allow you to enable AA in EQ2 by setting it in your video driver.

I also turned off most lighting effects when I raided, but more so the spell effects didn’t completely cover the action then for performance.  

gun runs fine now thx i get an average of 70fps and 25+ on crowded areas . for some od reason it players better in windowed mode

• fozzie22fozzie22 Member Posts: 1,003

Turn off cloth simulation in options..it always gets my machine bogged down

• quaikyquaiky Member Posts: 566

Originally posted by fozzie22

Turn off cloth simulation in options..it always gets my machine bogged down
    icloth simulation is quite cpu intensive and if your computer is cpu limited in eq2 then disabeling it will help a lot.

cloth simulation, flora and some othere of these options might be good candiudates for teh dev team to put on additional cpu cores (at least thats the things i would look at first if its possible to put them into seperate threads on other cpus).

yeah they really should make it multi core comaptible. luckily iv overcloked my q6600 so thats it is more than what is needed. but most people will not know what overcloking is let alone do it