Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ive tried this game several times over the years and Im always lost...

admriker4admriker4 Member Posts: 1,070

Whenever another MMO launches and Im typically disappointed (see Age of Conan), I find myself reading about all the features I want that EVE has. However each time I go back to EVE Im totally lost.

It always takes me a week to recall the controls as they arent very intuitive. And ultimately I have no idea where to go or what to do. I run a few missions. Sometimes I die because apparently I cross into dangerous territory.

Sometimes I try mining ore from asteroids but this seems pointless. I dont have a mining ship so I cant get very much. And the stuff I get nobody wants anyway (newb stuff).

PvP is out of the question. I can barely control my ship as it is and I wouldnt stand a chance anyway with my skills being so low. I hate PvP anyway.

I have zero clue on crafting, how its done. where its done. with what its done with.

I dont really recall any tutorial except one that shows basic ship / travel movements so I dont have a clue what Im doing.

So I go back to running more missions but they seem boring and pointless. Its just bring a document somewhere or attack a convoy and bring something back. They dont pay very well so I cant really see farming them enough to buy better gear.

By the end Im not even logging on to play, just to set a training skill and switch to something else once its trained.

I really want to love this game but Im totally lost everytime I go back in.

Comments

• F'larF'lar Member Posts: 60

Well alot of your answers can be found on the tutorial, as boring and long as it is, it is very essential to understand the game. You can even play the tutorial with your current character.

Also you have to have patience, alot of patience. EVE rewards those that make long term goals.

There is a organization calling itself EVE university, and if your into trying out PvP then there is BLUEvsRED, the former is a school for new players to EVE and the latter is wo corps in permawar with each other and both corps have constantly rotating member.

I hope this helps, EVE may be boring at times but it is fascinating to play.

• AranStormahAranStormah Member Posts: 278

Everything in Eve is about the PvP. Players out-trade eachother, out-produce eachother, make war on eachother and steal from eachother.

If you don't find at least 1 of those points interesting then you're making it very hard on yourself (although not impossible) to enjoy Eve.

• ObiyerObiyer Member Posts: 511

Here are a few good looks:

Ultimate Guide Compendium - There are a few industry guides there.

MEEP - Economic Efficiency Calculator

Battle Clinic New Player Guide - A little dated, but the best guide I've read of its type

Guide Contents - The official player guide divided by topic, check out the Manufacturing Section, as someone told me the best way to learn it is to buy a Shuttle BP, blue prints, and try it yourself.

All in all, I'm in the same boat as you. I plan on starting back up again later tonight, if not tonight then definitely tomorrow. Maybe we can help each other out? I'll message you my in-game name. In truth it maybe the blind leading the blind, but at least we won't be at it alone.

Cheers

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449

eve really isn't dummied down to the level of most of today's mmos.

although, they have gone very much out of their way to add informational help to every blooming window you open.  even if you skipped the tutorial (which you can go back and redo), every time you open a window, there's going to be a list of help items on anything you can think of asking about in that window.

so, whereas the game itself isn't dummied down, my god, the help screens are everywhere and you get tired of clicking "don't show again".

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• korvixkorvix Member Posts: 477

Originally posted by admriker4

I hate PvP anyway.

EvE  is PvP.

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

so, whereas the game itself isn't dummied down, my god, the help screens are everywhere and you get tired of clicking "don't show again".

esc -> general settings -> untick "show welcome pages"

;-)

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449
    Originally posted by batolemaeus

esc -> general settings -> untick "show welcome pages"

;-)

gracias, but i was kinda trying to drive home a point.   

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• lord_turniplord_turnip Member Posts: 5

Glad you made it back to the eve-online universe.

I hope you stick around and find your thing inhere.

I've been playing for twenty months straight now loggin on every day and stil this game has me hooked.

EVE forces you to make your own game.  And I think that makes it hard to start out with it. You don't get a lot of prechewed content. EVE just offers a platform on which you can do great things. I've not been into lots of pvp but even dodging fights can be fun in my opinion.

The fun, but hard part about eve is that it brings together a lot of different playstyles and as you can read on these forums a lot of these playstyles clash. But that just adds value to it I think.

If you find it to overwhelming in the beginnig try looking up a nice corp. Doing things with other people makes the game much more intresting. If you don't like what they're doing you can always leave.

• sbantingsbanting Member Posts: 238

Well I started playing 2 nights ago, I had played the closed beta to open beta stages and liked it but saw to many bugs, at the time, i was young, didn't really understand much and well didn't read anything either lol. My mate said he was going to try it so I thought i'd give it a go, they have changed quite a bit but also nothing lol. I loved the tutorial and the starter missions, but after the 10 story missions i was left alone, and literally flying around space having no idea what to do, scared of seeing anyone just incase they pvp lol. I then asked about 20 times in the newb chat about where is there more missions and no one answered or cared that i had no idea, newb chat seems to be less newbs and more boasting of look at me I'm getting a cruiser etc. So I looked on the internet and found it supprisingly hard to find any content on it, after a lot of digging I found a site that explained where all the lvl 1 quests were, woot I'm off, and now going to carry on and hopefully enjoy the game again.

I was nearly at the point of giving up, but this game beat me before it won't beat me again lol. I'm an entrepreneur but not really know how i'm meant to make trade lines but hey i'll work it all out i'm sure. I'm to used to the WoW type games and my SWG days are a distant memory lol. Bring on the Sandbox!

• ObiyerObiyer Member Posts: 511

Try Eve University, in the in-game mail browser, add Eve University to the channels and look through the application process via the in game browser.

• zimmy910zimmy910 Member UncommonPosts: 190

Besides all the good suggestions above, you might want to listen to this podcast:
    The Drone Bay

It has a great section for starters as well.

Good Luck :).