Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worth returning to?

I played LotRO from the Early Access period all the way up until March 29. There were of course some on-and-off periods, so I currently have a LVL41 Champ, nothing to extraordinary. But last time I played, the main problem I had was the lack of population for groups and (this is probably my fault) a very unpopulated (though we're at one of the highest time levels possible) and older kin. By older, I mean these people have jobs and children and real world shit to deal with. I'm in high school and it's summertime. I will be on a lot even during school, but these people, being level 50 and whatnot, never spend much time on the game.

So I know I can partly fix my game experience by finding a more populated and higher capacity clan, but what about server population? Is there any free way to switch servers to a more popular server? Right now I'm in Meneldor... now, maybe it is popular and I'm just in the wrong places but LotRO can be extremely time consuming when you're waiting for three hours to form a proper group.

Is it worth coming back to at the moment? Especially being $9.99/month again now. I don't know if that means sub decline or just generosity.

Comments

• CartographyCartography Member UncommonPosts: 331

You know what, it's not really worth it. If you were on a dead server before... then it's still probably dead. If you quit because you couldn't find groups, join the club... the game is becoming more and more like a solofest.

• DarkRanger65DarkRanger65 Member Posts: 83

My highest level character is a 27 Hunter and I have no problems getting a group for quests.....

I am on the Brandywine server.

MMO Played-EQ, EQ2, WOW, DDO, GW, COH, Vanguard, WAR

MMOs Playing-LOTRO

• WebferretWebferret Member UncommonPosts: 90

Depending on the server your char is on, yup, there can be a slow run to get into grps etc. I currently returned to LOTRO after being totally sick of WoW. I play on Elendilmir Server. I find grp anytime of day or night quite easily. At worst find a guild that is helpful to lower level members and help those get grp quests done if you are having issues with finding a grp for quests/instance runs.

One thing I find is an issue, Champ class is like the hunter class in WoW, everyone plays one, and they are one of theharder classes to get added into a grp for questing, I always find at times there be 3 champs in a 6 man grp for general questing, which isnt a bad thing, but alot of grps like abit more variety and wont take anymore of a class if they can help it. Bit of a downer for the Champ class, but its theway it goes with some classes.

Anyways, I am enjoying being back in LOTRO and find 95% of the pop on the server are decent normal players not like another MMO, where they seem to be full of annoying whining morons or adults that act like morons and such.

Anyways, best way to find out if you will like it is to resub for a month and see what you think, we are all different and what some like others dont.

Cheers

Tanvaras

• freekstylefreekstyle Member Posts: 49

I love the game just wish I could transfer my character to another server or something. Meneldor is just empty imo. But I do agree about the community being so much more mature than any game out there.

I just wish more people would give this game a chance, LotR fan or not. It's really one of the most top-notch MMOs I've played.

• BloodWorkBloodWork Member Posts: 139

Originally posted by freekstyle

I love the game just wish I could transfer my character to another server or something. Meneldor is just empty imo. But I do agree about the community being so much more mature than any game out there.

I just wish more people would give this game a chance, LotR fan or not. It's really one of the most top-notch MMOs I've played.

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=120458

• tfox2k1tfox2k1 Member Posts: 215

I'm on Arkenstone and have no issues with getting into a group.   The nice thing about LOTRO is normally you can solo.

Lotro is the best MMO available.

I found that you can transfer characters but it costs $25. I say everyone transfers over to Meneldor so that I'm not alooooone. ;P

• BloodWorkBloodWork Member Posts: 139

I found that you can transfer characters but it costs $25. I say everyone transfers over to Meneldor so that I'm not alooooone. ;P

I already transfered from Firefoot to Landroval

• shipprekkshipprekk Member Posts: 15

Hey there gang. I would have started a new post but I've pretty much got the same questions as the op.

I beta tested LOTRO and pretty well enjoyed it but decided against sticking around since: a) MMOG's are timesinks and I didn't have much free time. b) my computer suffered at the hands of its fully realized Middle-earth and c) MMOG's are a timesink

Now, however, I've been feeling that nag to get back into such an online game. Couple the urge with me re-reading the Silmarillion, Hobbit, and Lord of the Rings, and I think LOTRO might be the fit for me. Basically, I'm looking for a game with mature players that I don't need to spend hours grinding in to enjoy. I want to hang out and explore Middle-earth as much as I fight and quest. I want servers full of people who do the same and would love to sit and smoke some pipeweed with me more than they want to go kill Gork the Orc and get his Ubermanger Clawdagger of Dewm so they can go pwn nubz later. I considered AoC since the game looks great and has a new-fangled combat system but, as I read on another post in this forum "blood + boobies + pvp = immature players". Plus I think a totally instanced game is a joke.

So I should have a new compy soon, ready to play such games and my post here is a hope to answer two questions: 1) which server has the biggest Tolkien nerds? I was a part of Baruk Khazad when they first started in beta and the thought of an exclusively Dwarf kinship sounds cool. I know they play on Landroval but is that the server to be for geeks like me? 2) Is there stuff to explore without getting hammered by high level mobs? I really just want to see the sights.

Thanks for reading.

• DuilyonDuilyon Member Posts: 326

Originally posted by shipprekk

Hey there gang. I would have started a new post but I've pretty much got the same questions as the op.
    I beta tested LOTRO and pretty well enjoyed it but decided against sticking around since: a) MMOG's are timesinks and I didn't have much free time. b) my computer suffered at the hands of its fully realized Middle-earth and c) MMOG's are a timesink
    Now, however, I've been feeling that nag to get back into such an online game. Couple the urge with me re-reading the Silmarillion, Hobbit, and Lord of the Rings, and I think LOTRO might be the fit for me. Basically, I'm looking for a game with mature players that I don't need to spend hours grinding in to enjoy. I want to hang out and explore Middle-earth as much as I fight and quest. I want servers full of people who do the same and would love to sit and smoke some pipeweed with me more than they want to go kill Gork the Orc and get his Ubermanger Clawdagger of Dewm so they can go pwn nubz later. I considered AoC since the game looks great and has a new-fangled combat system but, as I read on another post in this forum "blood + boobies + pvp = immature players". Plus I think a totally instanced game is a joke.
    So I should have a new compy soon, ready to play such games and my post here is a hope to answer two questions: 1) which server has the biggest Tolkien nerds? I was a part of Baruk Khazad when they first started in beta and the thought of an exclusively Dwarf kinship sounds cool. I know they play on Landroval but is that the server to be for geeks like me? 2) Is there stuff to explore without getting hammered by high level mobs? I really just want to see the sights.
    Thanks for reading.

I would say Landrovel has the biggest Tolkein nerds just because its the RP server. Everyone knows the lore and RPs to it. And that guild Baruk Khazad is still around in all of it's dwarfyness XD

I play a 50 human burglar named Duily. hit me up if you decide to play again!

• shipprekkshipprekk Member Posts: 15

Much appreciated! It'll be a while before I properly working computer but I certainly will once I'm back.

• JammaslamJammaslam Member Posts: 265

What would the best class (or classes) be for soloing for those times when you are without a group or if you just enjoy soloing in general?

What's the most popular, non-RP server? I am not down with the lore unfortunately (never read anything but the Hobbit) but I love this game. I want to get in a non-RP server because I would be more suited for that type of thing so which is the most popular?

• jarishjarish Member Posts: 526

US or EU?

Brandywine Global LFF chan "/joinchannel glff"

US. :)

• gracefieldgracefield Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by Tanvaras

Depending on the server your char is on, yup, there can be a slow run to get into grps etc. I currently returned to LOTRO after being totally sick of WoW. I play on Elendilmir Server. I find grp anytime of day or night quite easily. At worst find a guild that is helpful to lower level members and help those get grp quests done if you are having issues with finding a grp for quests/instance runs.
    One thing I find is an issue, Champ class is like the hunter class in WoW, everyone plays one, and they are one of theharder classes to get added into a grp for questing, I always find at times there be 3 champs in a 6 man grp for general questing, which isnt a bad thing, but alot of grps like abit more variety and wont take anymore of a class if they can help it. Bit of a downer for the Champ class, but its theway it goes with some classes.
    Anyways, I am enjoying being back in LOTRO and find 95% of the pop on the server are decent normal players not like another MMO, where they seem to be full of annoying whining morons or adults that act like morons and such.
    Anyways, best way to find out if you will like it is to resub for a month and see what you think, we are all different and what some like others dont.
    Cheers

Tanvaras

Yep, this is about right. This is a great game with lots of depth and a v. mature community. It's about the best MMO out there at the minute IMO, along with WoW and perhaps, Conan, depending on how it develops. Give it an honest go, though, explore a bit and get up in the levels. I have found that a good, active and intelligent kinship makes all the difference as well. Try Eldar if you can, plenty of people on there for grouping...

• jarishjarish Member Posts: 526

US. :)

I'm on Bradywine and it is one of the biggest if not the biggest server.

Brandywine Global LFF chan "/joinchannel glff"