Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New player to World of Warcraft

HoplitesHoplites Member CommonPosts: 463

After so many years I have decided to give WoW a try.

So far I am impressed and when people say the game is polished I can give an example.  Your progession through quests is linked with the lore of your starting area and there are plenty of quests to keep you occupied.  I think I underestimated the size of some areas (eg Silvermoon City) and I was pleasently suprised.

Combat is fluid and I have to position my self to reduce the chance of my attacks being dodged or parried (started a Blood Elf rogue).  I am not sure if there is any collision detection?

I do have some questions though.

1. At what level can you begin to PVP?

2. What professions should I pickup and at what level would it be worthwhile to start them?

3.  As you progress towards the higher levels do you need to carry a lot more consumables or are they just luxury items?

I am sure for some the game may not be new, but it definately is for me. 

Comments

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    1: You can PvP at any level if you just meet a player of opposite faction. But even if you are playing on a PvP server, the earliest opportunities for that come usually somewhere around lvl 20-30, depending on wich zones you choose to level in.

You can enter first Battleground and arena training matches from lvl 10. But I'd suggest not entering them until you are lvl 18 or 19, since you'll end up to matches meant for lvl 10-19 and if you are lvl 10 in those matches you don't stand a chance.

But if you like PvP, the real PvP in WoW is done at lvl 70, or with twinked characters. If you go to PvP with non-twinked character at earlier levels you are always at a disadvantage against the twinks.

2: You should pick up one gathering profession because those are a great way to make money. So skinning, mining, or herbalism. For your second profession you can either pick up a crafting profession to make something, or other gathering profession for money.

Don't pick up tailoring since you shouldn't use cloth armor, and don't pick up smithing since you can't use mail armor. But leatherworking, alchemy and jewelcrafting are good options for crafting profession to a rogue.

Also pick up all secondary professions (cooking, first aid, and fishing). You can yourself decide if you want to use cookind of fishing, but first aid you should level with the cloth you get while killind humanoids. It's good secondary profession for a rogue since you can't heal yourself otherwise than with bandages.

Edit: And you should pick up your professions as soon as possible. With crafting profession there's no such hurry, but with a gathering profession you want to have the profession picked and ready so that you can gather resources you come across while levelling.

3: As a rogue you'll need to use poisons. Those are your class abilities, even if they are consumables.

Other than that, you won't need to have too many consumables. Just keep some healing potions with you, it's much better to use healing potion while in a tight spot than to die. But all kind of consumables wich give buffs (except your poisons) are optional and not really needed before you are level 70.

Once you are level 70 you'll need a lot of consumables if you decide to start raiding. They aren't luxury while raiding, they are one tool the get all out from your character. If you end up doing end game PvP you won't need so many consumables because you can't use them in arenas.

• Pappy13Pappy13 Member Posts: 2,138

Originally posted by Hoplites

So far I am impressed and when people say the game is polished I can give an example.  Your progession through quests is linked with the lore of your starting area and there are plenty of quests to keep you occupied.  I think I underestimated the size of some areas (eg Silvermoon City) and I was pleasently suprised.
    Combat is fluid and I have to position my self to reduce the chance of my attacks being dodged or parried (started a Blood Elf rogue).  I am not sure if there is any collision detection?
    2. What professions should I pickup and at what level would it be worthwhile to start them?
    3.  As you progress towards the higher levels do you need to carry a lot more consumables or are they just luxury items?
    1)  Depends on what type of PvP you are interested in.  You can duel a person of your own faction (horde or Alliance) at any level I believe.  Just walk up to someone and challenge them to a duel.  To fight someone of the opposite faction you have to first put yourself into PvP mode which can be done a couple of different ways.  On a PvP server all you have to do is enter a contested zone and you will be automatically placed in PvP mode and anyone can attack you and vice versa.  To play in the battlegrounds, I believe you have to be level 10 and you will be placed in a battleground with others up to level 19.  I'm not sure what level you have to be enter an arena, it's perhaps 10 as well.

2)  Professions are pretty much up to you, they are not really mandatory.  You can get along just fine without any professions however professions will help you by allowing you to make a little extra cash or by providing you with a few useful items.  Don't expect to deck out your character using your professions however, they are supporting in nature, not meant to be your sole source of items.  If you just want to make money, the best professions to choose are the gathering ones like mining, skinning and Herbalism.  Whatever you collect you can most likely sell on the AH to make a little extra cash.  If you want to craft items, then choose one of the crafting professions like leather working, blacksmithing or alchemy and choose a gathering profession that compliments that profession for example skinning for Leatherworking.  Tailoring and Enchanting don't really have a gathering profession since you can pick up cloth from any humanoid and Enchanting items are mainly aquired thru disenchanting items so some people like to pick Tailoring and Enchanting especially if they are a cloth wearer and that's a fairly good choice.

3)  You will always need some consumables, but not a lot of them.  Usually a stack of 5 will last you a good while, but a lot depends on your play style.  If you PvP a lot, then you will probably go thru them faster.  You'll just kinda have to get a feel for this as you play.

Welcome to Azeroth!

• LordChi315LordChi315 Member Posts: 13

Originally posted by Hoplites

Battlegrounds PvP begin at 19, General PvP at any lvl.

I advise PvP as soon as possible, this will insure you epic battlegear at 60

Professions should begin immediately and it depends on what you want to be. My Cloth wearing toons are usually enchanters/tailors; leather wearer's, skinner/LW; etc... But you may choose to pick a class benefited trade like gnome's get an advantage to Engineering, or Draenei to JewelCrafting.

At the higher levels you will begin to grasp the game easier and better equiptment will be made available to you to make the game easier. Gold is a constant, so save for what you want and generate it by utalising your professions, Primary and secondary (fishing, cooking, and first aid).

Good luck.

• mfyymfyy Member Posts: 1

coool,im a new player,and thx for my ingame friends ,they are quite helpful to me

when winter comes,can spring be far?