Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

seperately balancing PVP and PVE begins

NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Developer_Updates#.5BDev_Update.5D_PvP.2FPvE_Skill_Balancing_.E2.80.93_21_May_2008

With this week’s update we will introduce a new system to split certain skills into separate PvE and PvP versions. With this system we can update skills for one game type without affecting the other. To prepare players for the changes, we have decided to post this Dev Update as a preview. The skill changes will go live on May 22.

With the new system, we can restore skills to their original forms, so they are no longer impacted by PvP balance changes. For example:

• "Incoming!" "Incoming!": increased duration to 1..5 seconds; added PvP version with previous stats.

Where balance changes were required for PvP, but not PvE, the skill has been split and the changes will apply to the PvP version. For example:

We will be reintroducing the PvP balance changes that we tested from April 17 – May 1, but now these balance changes will apply only to PvP.

Skills that differ in PvP play will have (PvP) listed at the end of their names when viewed in PvP outposts and matches. These skills will automatically be adjusted within PvP outposts and matches. Players can equip their skills as normal, and the game will use the PvP version where appropriate.

We recognize that this is a new system, with different stats possible for the same skill in PvE and PvP. We intend to use this system to the benefit of all players, and maintain our dedication to careful evaluation of each skill that we balance. Since this is the initial roll-out for the new system, we altered more skills than we would expect to in future updates.

Comments

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

Saw that too. It's a neat extension and one I've long been anticipating, and even though I don't play PvE very much I still think it was necessary to add. Hopefully though we won't see "balances" as the recent one; just nerfing everything that's meta is just plain boring.

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

Love the changes. It makes things easier for everyone!

Originally posted by Lydon
    Love the changes. It makes things easier for everyone!

Except those who PvP frequently; now there is nothing to hold back Izzy's crazy nerf fest of every good to half decent skill that's currently used in the meta. Already he's started attacking pretty much every meta skill forcing pretty large change, and no buffs either...

• iainiiaini Member Posts: 52

I absolutely love this change, but then again I all about PVE.

>_> <_< ^_^

Originally posted by Godliest

Except those who PvP frequently; now there is nothing to hold back Izzy's crazy nerf fest of every good to half decent skill that's currently used in the meta. Already he's started attacking pretty much every meta skill forcing pretty large change, and no buffs either...

I guess people will just have to learn to adapt. Stirring things up on a regular basis also ensures that people don't get too comfortable with specific builds.

I guess people will just have to learn to adapt. Stirring things up on a regular basis also ensures that people don't get too comfortable with specific builds.

Well my main problem is that they just nerfed everything instead of also buffing a few things. And while I agree that you shouldn't let the meta grow stale and boring the best way to ensure that is to actually allow for some changes; by just nerfing everything you just force everyone to completely abandon those those builds entirely. For example inflicting blind in the way the Blinding Surge ele could do is now impossible, and that's bad.

I guess it's a matter of opinion. I still personally prefer them to force people to look for new builds, whether the old builds get nerfed in the process or not.

For example, the BS Ele can no longer blind in the manner it used to...that is going to make some other biulds more powerful, as they will no longer have to deal with the ownage that is the BS ele. Sure, the eles suffer, but every profession tends to get their turn.

• ZoOoOZoOoO Member Posts: 93

................For example inflicting blind in the way the Blinding Surge ele could do is now impossible, and that's bad.

BS was way to cheap, Blind is a very powerfull condtion at GW, and it shoud take some skill to "shutdown" a warrior ( or melee) using such condition, BS, was IMBA, and it did deserved and nerft.

By the way, atm, GW is, and has had the best and most balanced PvP we could find at any given MMO game for a long long time, i think, is time, we give some credit to Izzy.

Originally posted by ZoOoO
    By the way, atm, GW is, and has had the best and most balanced PvP we could find at any given MMO game for a long long time, i think, is time, we give some credit to Izzy.

Izzy gets credit, that's for true, but I must say that he should do some serious work on many of the skills in Guild Wars. For instance skills such as Vengeance and Unyielding Aura which both serve no purpose and are entirely impossible to implement in any form of gameplay in any situation provided; basically they are worthless. These two are just a few of the large amounts of skills in Guild Wars that varies from being entirely worthless to inferior. I think Izzy should go through the major part of these skills and do some rework to try to create a slightly larger base of skills that actually usable and worthy in a build. He may do a good job on the few skills that are good enough do fit into builds, but he should try to bring more skills into the meta.

• MylonMylon Member Posts: 975

Originally posted by ZoOoO

Izzy gets credit, that's for true, but I must say that he should do some serious work on many of the skills in Guild Wars. For instance skills such as Vengeance and Unyielding Aura which both serve no purpose and are entirely impossible to implement in any form of gameplay in any situation provided; basically they are worthless. These two are just a few of the large amounts of skills in Guild Wars that varies from being entirely worthless to inferior. I think Izzy should go through the major part of these skills and do some rework to try to create a slightly larger base of skills that actually usable and worthy in a build. He may do a good job on the few skills that are good enough do fit into builds, but he should try to bring more skills into the meta.

I don't know what you're talking about, but I made a decent build with Unyielding Aura. Using that spell that heals based on number of enchants plus a few cover enchants, that build rocked because when people did die, they got right back up and if they died again, they suffered no death penalty for it. Fastest cast reusable res in the game, and it brings them back fully ready to fight instead of merely ready to die again.

It lost it's appeal when enchant stripping become really strong in the meta (and perhaps with some of the extra skills of Nightfall), but it was still a nice build. Vengeance on the other hand... I'll agree, it's pretty cruddy. It might work okay on a W/mo in RA, but no where else.

One problem is that there are a lot of skills that are very specific that are difficult to justify bringing into any but the most rigidly defined situation. Case: Mesmer resistance stances. Physical resistance, elemental resistance. I think there were a few element-specific ones, too. In the varied world of PvP, these would never, ever be useful.

When you only get 8 skills, you have to make choices for powerful _and_ versatile skills. A knockdown skill, for example, is both a shutdown, a snare, and an interrupt all in one. Most also do damage. Now, how do you get that kind of utility out of another skill? Good monk skills tend to do 2 or more of: Protect, heal, nullify, and prevent. Why do Heal Other and Word of Healing suck so much? Because they only do one.