Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So... whats BAD about the game?

Nikoz78Nikoz78 Member UncommonPosts: 910

Instead of asking whats good about it...

what sucks about it?

I miss the good ol' days when nerds were actually intelligent.

Comments

• diegooo1972diegooo1972 Member Posts: 15

I need to say i don't like aoc and i will not play it and that is only my personal opinion of course.

Most bad IMO is that the game is totally instanced. A zone is connected only by talking to a an npc that teleport u in another zone.  And the worst is that a zone can have multiple instance itself. That mean that in a single zone of the map there will be multiple instance so if u are in the same place of your guildies but in 2 different instance u will not play with him unless u change instance. This can be acceptable for players that love guild wars. ( this game is not guild wars of course ). But imho that will keep you away from exploration feeling like u can have in wow or lotro. I love to feel a little lost in the world playing an mmorpg.

The other things i love is questing and aoc questing looks too much linear to me. The radar will tell you exactly where the quest's objects will be. This make the questing very easy from the beginning. I wonder how you can feel in few months if the game is that easy in the beginning. The immersion felling in this quest system is not what i'm looking for honestly.

I have read the pull about what ppl look for in a mmorpg. important result are about questing and exploring and I think many ppl will fell like me about this 2 points.

Combat system is innovative but fair after all. I think it will take time to understand how much is balanced and funny in the pvp core of the game. Seems that most are playing it only to have a pvp experience atm cause other points are not that interesting for some ppl. That's what i hear from friends and again are personal opinion.

The client despite what i read is a good  client release imo and it run fine with medium-good rig.

The graphics, that look very good in high end rig, honestly don't make me fell like I want to explore it but this can be mostly cause i prefer fantasious worlds more then realistic worlds. Aoc imo looks to much realistic but someone can consider this a good point for the game.

Aoc PVP imo will decide AOc success cause about exploration and questing there are other winners atm so in that case you will feel to have something less then previous experience.

My impression are subject to my taste in mmorpgs. I love exploring and questing first of all and i love raid PVE and world PVP in endgame.

I'm sorry for my english and I hope you can understand what I mean. Don't flame me this are not statements but only my opinions.

• RevarkRevark Member Posts: 26

1. There is alot of instancing. Load screens are fairly fast, but the game is instanced.

2. The chat system is "weird". Clunky. Does not lend itself to being friendly.

3. Rather high system requirements.

Nothing game-breaking IMO. I am loving it, and I understand the reason for the instancing.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

I'll agree the chat system requires some work.  I'm also waiting for better HUDs to come out.  I personally get lag spikes where I freeze up and the next thing I know I'm dead - but I'm pretty sure that's a problem with my granny of a pc not the game ;).

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• ZeGerman1942ZeGerman1942 Member Posts: 199

From what i have seen so far the main problem is the old tech that is involved in the game. It does look good for an MMO but overall useability and user friendlyness is low.

- Instancing: as mentioned already, Funcom has taken instancing to new heights. Well not technically because they used the same instance system with Dreamfall (i.e. run 10 yards and load, talk to 1 NPC, load, run back 10 yards). In Tortage there is NPCs inside of huts, where the huts are actual instances of their own. For ONE NPC. One quest NPC is in a place called Acheronian Ruins. On the quest chain that he is involved in (running/fed ex style quest) you need to load 8 times and run through 2 instances repeatedly, then you get to zone into yet another instance and kill one monster. Things like this just don't make sense.

- Mechanics: things like climbing utterly suck. There are climbing areas in the early instances, which require a lot of climbing points and lead nowhere (as in there is no point in them being there at all). Some climbing areas have characters clip through objects or float 10 inches away from the actual ladder (cosmetic stuff but still). The cut scene style quest NPC interactions work mostly, but it's clear the system was not tested fully - there is plenty of obstructed views and bad angles.

- Gameplay: the placement of mobs varies widely and none of it is very good. In white sands you have level 6 crocodiles next to level 11 and 12 panthers. in the single player instance volcano, it depends what class you are - you might end up pulling 3 and dying or you might get just one. Do a certain quest in tortage and you get telported to a new instance where you are hit on before you fully load.

- Chat and UI: the chat window is a copy of the Anarchy Online system. Which is 100 years old. You can't have several chat boxes and the filters available are limited and rubbish. Not to mention that the font is anything but easy to read. The UI is clunky and can not be easily modified.

Overall there are times when i am having fun playing the game, because it's new and i am interested in the story of my character (story is something that Funcom always was good at). But i don't think i will be playing this game past 80 and past finishing my destiny quest. Judging by the speed at which i am leveling that will be in the next 2 to 3 weeks at the latest.

It's not a bad game. It would probably have made a better solo game (i had most fun in the night time/solo experience to be honest). As an MMO it's just too frustrating for me regarding the mechanics and gameplay elements.

• sassoonsssassoonss Member UncommonPosts: 1,132

annoying chat interface

• FischerBlackFischerBlack Member Posts: 573

The chat interface is clunky and annoying.

The guild UI could use some work.

They are my only 2 gripes with this fantastic game

• KerithKerith Member UncommonPosts: 104

the game is awesome -- i really dont dislike anything. The biggest complain I have is that it needs at least one more polishing iteration through all aspects of the game (besides combat maybe). Its not a game breaker tho and I am sure they will attend to the issues as soon as possible.

But I understand why funcom released the game now ...

• YukkioneYukkione Member Posts: 618

I agree with FischerBlack  . BTW We play on the same server. I'm with The Older Gamers. (started in Australia)

But the good new is that it's highly moddable. The game itself is remarkable.

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185

Originally posted by ZeGerman1942

- Gameplay: the placement of mobs varies widely and none of it is very good. In white sands you have level 6 crocodiles next to level 11 and 12 panthers. in the single player instance volcano, it depends what class you are - you might end up pulling 3 and dying or you might get just one. Do a certain quest in tortage and you get telported to a new instance where you are hit on before you fully load.

These two points here are excellent IMO. When you have mobs of different levels roaming together, lower level characters may be able to go into that area and do some killing but needs to be very careful how he approaches them. It can also give out the impression that that particular zone wasn't made for a specific level.

As for the mobs and not knowing how many your going to pull, sweetness. Once in tortage night, I shot at a dude and his friend followed and I got my ass kicked. Went back in there and hid from one guy behind the corner of the house, shot the other and he was the only one that came. Granted thats not totally realistic either but because I hid from the other guy he did not come after me. ONE of the most annoying things about other games, EQ2 and LOTRO come to mind, is when you know how many mobs will be coming after you because when you select one you select the others.

Anyways, something to think about :) See you in Hyboria :P

• Riho06Riho06 Member Posts: 431

The UI is average at best but not a big problem.

The chat/social channels are very poor at this point, the LFG(group or guild) actually is pretty good once you figure out how to manipulate it. But just general chatting is annoyingly difficult.

• sweetdreamssweetdreams Member UncommonPosts: 190

One of the bad things.. It's still buggy as hell after all the testing and delays.

• ByromByrom Member Posts: 236

O.K. I'll throw in too, First char I tried I was able to actually move the chat box to a suitable placement for me, yet when I re- rolled, that was no longer possible.

I click on skills, old tired hands, so I have yet to find a way to pin the two extra action bars to the screen, therefore, when My old tired mouse hand is flying back and forth to make combo's I often in advertantly, dock and undock, and drag the whole bar off the screen.

Lastly, I'm having a great deal of trouble completing quests as I am continually ganked in the three areas where my quests are at. And this is on a PVE server, and has occured from 8pm last night until 7am this morning , when I logged off,as now I just delete every quest I get as they are all in those area's.

the chat box and the action bars.. quickslots, whatever you want to call them, is not a huge issue. But there is a large enough percentage of the community, having a running gank fest, that, the game truely, is unplayable, for me.

On the plus side,the Graphics, and storyline, are superb.

• MordriaMordria Member Posts: 556

I'm not crazy about the chat interface... it's kind of weak.

and I'd like the skill bars to be more user friendly like they are in EQ2. Other than that... can't really think of anything.

Just to clear something up. The game is NOT totally instanced.

If there are too many people in a zone, the zone creates a duplicate zone for people to zone too.

The game is just zoned... HUGE zones.

See for yourself : s295.photobucket.com/albums/mm147/Mordria13/

• GerardAtJobGerardAtJob Member Posts: 74

I won't be playing this one so...

If someone doesn't have this... First to register it will have it!

To register your cape, log in to your account page by https://register.ageofconan.com clicking here and under the option "Use a Key" - enter this key:

8V5ARFGGAY4PUPDG

Once this has been done, use the command "/claim" inside the game to claim your in-game items. These Items work for all the characters you create on your account.

[Blablabla....]

Note that this item will not be made available again at later dates - so wear it with pride!

Have fun guys!

• RaknarRaknar Member Posts: 192

Huge? The zones are tiny.

• GoldknyghtGoldknyght Member UncommonPosts: 1,519

Originally posted by diegooo1972

I need to say i don't like aoc and i will not play it and that is only my personal opinion of course.
    Most bad IMO is that the game is totally instanced. A zone is connected only by talking to a an npc that teleport u in another zone.  And the worst is that a zone can have multiple instance itself. That mean that in a single zone of the map there will be multiple instance so if u are in the same place of your guildies but in 2 different instance u will not play with him unless u change instance. This can be acceptable for players that love guild wars. ( this game is not guild wars of course ). But imho that will keep you away from exploration feeling like u can have in wow or lotro. I love to feel a little lost in the world playing an mmorpg.
    The other things i love is questing and aoc questing looks too much linear to me. The radar will tell you exactly where the quest's objects will be. This make the questing very easy from the beginning. I wonder how you can feel in few months if the game is that easy in the beginning. The immersion felling in this quest system is not what i'm looking for honestly.
    I have read the pull about what ppl look for in a mmorpg. important result are about questing and exploring and I think many ppl will fell like me about this 2 points.
    Combat system is innovative but fair after all. I think it will take time to understand how much is balanced and funny in the pvp core of the game. Seems that most are playing it only to have a pvp experience atm cause other points are not that interesting for some ppl. That's what i hear from friends and again are personal opinion.
    The client despite what i read is a good  client release imo and it run fine with medium-good rig.
    The graphics, that look very good in high end rig, honestly don't make me fell like I want to explore it but this can be mostly cause i prefer fantasious worlds more then realistic worlds. Aoc imo looks to much realistic but someone can consider this a good point for the game.
    Aoc PVP imo will decide AOc success cause about exploration and questing there are other winners atm so in that case you will feel to have something less then previous experience.
    My impression are subject to my taste in mmorpgs. I love exploring and questing first of all and i love raid PVE and world PVP in endgame.
    I'm sorry for my english and I hope you can understand what I mean. Don't flame me this are not statements but only my opinions.

You are only reporting what you have read because zoning is not talk to a npc and go. The NPC's u talk to, so u can goto another zone are caravans that take u. just like a port u would get in EQ or what have you.

edit: zoning has been click the zone u are trying to getinto, so its usually a door of somekind.

Finding quests is easy but doesnt mean that, that is a bad thing.

Graphics are supurb and you dont need a High End machine my box does it and i havent spent any more or less on my puter then anyone would who was building one. and Yes i play one HIGH SETTINGS and the game runs smooth.

As for the instance of the zones i dont see what the big deal is. yeah im sure it will be anyoning if ur tring to trade with someone but the drop down makes it relitivly easy to just goto the instance where u need to go without hassle. If the game didnt have the instances everyone would be bitching about lag. if there is a 100 people cap thats good. No need to crash the servers just because u want 200,000 in the starting city of tortage.

If u dont like the game dont play it.

• GoldknyghtGoldknyght Member UncommonPosts: 1,519

The only bad thing about AoC is the Chat System. It is very hard to know you have recieved tells or even pay attention to OOC's. The chat channel gets spammed and it sucks to have to fix this everytime u log on. I have to enable group chat each time i play because it gets unchecked and i cant see what people are saying. BUGGY chat system my final answer.

• fingisfingis Member Posts: 207

My opinions so far..

The mobs don't have much AI.  I was hoping for runners who run at low health and aggro other mobs.  Something like murlocs in WoW where they even heal each other.

I want to see more mob AI in a newer game, not less.

Quests are too easy with the waypoint system.  When quests are that easy, they are boring.

Auto attack would be an improvement. 

• halteahaltea Member UncommonPosts: 95

The game is just zoned... HUGE zones.
    See for yourself : s295.photobucket.com/albums/mm147/Mordria13/

Thats kinda misleading, cause there are many places where you see distant landscapes but you cant access there.

• ZsavoozZsavooz Member Posts: 532

I just don't like the game. Not very immersive, buggy sound system. I have yet to see any other players anywhere, seems very alone. The quests are ok, nothing special and not to hard. I've leveled to 14 very quickly.  The zoning is a bummer, too much of that. the community, at least what I see in chat when I can see it, seems very young.  Just not what I thought it would be. Back to LOTRO for me.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

My least favorite things,

1)  Chat interface.... seems mostly worthless

2)  UI, pretty weak, prefer to put more bars up on my screen, and not use an alt key to access them

3)  Instancing. OK, I'm pretty flexible, but this does aggravate me at times.  Maybe if I wasn't staring at a loading bar it would seem so obvious.  Not a deal break, but I could have lived w/o out it.

4)  Sigh...kill quests, inevitable, yes, but do I really have to kill 40 crocs and 50 pics to complete them?  Seems more like padding to me, to make the game last longer.

5)  MOB AI.  Maybe its just because I'm only level 14 and on the starter areas.... but so far most mobs don't use much in the way of tactics, they just charge in....and one day I'm hoping I can play a game where I can't pull 2 mobs who are sitting 10 feet from 2 others and those others act like they see and hear nothing going on around them.  Fundamental flaw in almost all MMO's.

Yet, my complaints are minor, I'm having fun and that's all that really matters.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WallissWalliss Member Posts: 107

Originally posted by Goldknyght

Originally posted by diegooo1972

You are only reporting what you have read because zoning is not talk to a npc and go. The NPC's u talk to, so u can goto another zone are caravans that take u. just like a port u would get in EQ or what have you.

edit: zoning has been click the zone u are trying to getinto, so its usually a door of somekind.

Finding quests is easy but doesnt mean that, that is a bad thing.

Graphics are supurb and you dont need a High End machine my box does it and i havent spent any more or less on my puter then anyone would who was building one. and Yes i play one HIGH SETTINGS and the game runs smooth.

As for the instance of the zones i dont see what the big deal is. yeah im sure it will be anyoning if ur tring to trade with someone but the drop down makes it relitivly easy to just goto the instance where u need to go without hassle. If the game didnt have the instances everyone would be bitching about lag. if there is a 100 people cap thats good. No need to crash the servers just because u want 200,000 in the starting city of tortage.

If u dont like the game dont play it.

You say this about your machine, seemingly implying that it is a medium to high end rig.

I would consider...

"MMO's Playing : AOC

System : Intel Core2Quad Q9450(OC'd 3.2ghz), 2 Radeon HD 3870 512mb GDDR4 in CFX, 4GB of Corsiar XMS2 Dominator PC-8500 (800mhz) 4-4-4-12 RAM, Asus Maximus Formula Bios Formula."

...quite high end.

But I do pretty much agree, the requirements aren't ridiculous, but they ARE more than an average machine can cope with.

Shadow Guild Leader of Dynasty, Stygian Casual Core PvE based guild on EN Fury PvP.

Currently looking for core members, feel free to visit http://www.aoc-dynasty.webs.com/ for more info, and forums link.

• LocklainLocklain Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by Kyleran

My least favorite things,
    1)  Chat interface.... seems mostly worthless How true is this. . .There is no way to split up OOC from /tells or general group chat.
    2)  UI, pretty weak, prefer to put more bars up on my screen, and not use an alt key to access them Again I totally agree with you.  In this day and age a static UI is not a good idea.  EQ2 had this done right a person should be able to open as many hotbars as they like as well as chat windows.
    3)  Instancing. OK, I'm pretty flexible, but this does aggravate me at times.  Maybe if I wasn't staring at a loading bar it would seem so obvious.  Not a deal break, but I could have lived w/o out it. This one I am ok with.  This cuts down on spawn camping and having to sit around and wait for three other groups to be done with their portion of the quest.  The only downside I see to this is all of the load screens, but again I am getting used to it.
    4)  Sigh...kill quests, inevitable, yes, but do I really have to kill 40 crocs and 50 pics to complete them?  Seems more like padding to me, to make the game last longer. It will be very hard to get away from kill quests.  I can't think of any other type of quests they could possibly make besides the standard kill quests and fedex quests.  I do like how they have a few quests that break the norm, like the detective quest as well as the diplomatic quest both in the Aquilonia starting town.
    5)  MOB AI.  Maybe its just because I'm only level 14 and on the starter areas.... but so far most mobs don't use much in the way of tactics, they just charge in....and one day I'm hoping I can play a game where I can't pull 2 mobs who are sitting 10 feet from 2 others and those others act like they see and hear nothing going on around them.  Fundamental flaw in almost all MMO's. Yes the AI does seem to be a bit lacking but again most AI in MMOs is pretty lacking.  When we do branch into more advanced AI for MMOs hopefully they make the mobs alot easier cause when the whole camp rushes me at once because I threw a stone at their buddy, I hope to be able to at least kill half of them
    Yet, my complaints are minor, I'm having fun and that's all that really matters.

It's a Jeep thing. . .
    _______
    |___image|
    \_______/
    = image||||||image =
    |X| \*........*/ |X|
    |X|_________|X|
    You wouldn't understand
  • TwinsenVR4TwinsenVR4 Member Posts: 5

To all of you complaining about the chat UI, sure its funky looking, but have you taken a few minutes out of your busy AoC life to find out that you can customize the windows? If you click on the * next to "General", you can create another window and dump all the text into that one. So if you want Combat/System messages, all you would do is hit Combat, and it will make another window with all combat messages.

Drag that window over to the right side, or wherever you want it, then right click on the Window, click on Subscribe (forgot what it says exactly, but it says Subscribe...maybe Subscribe Channels?), and check System Messages and On Screen Messages. Then in the General Window, do the same thing, but uncheck System/OnScreen Messages.

Simple as that people. Jesus!

• TwinsenVR4TwinsenVR4 Member Posts: 5

Originally posted by Byrom

O.K. I'll throw in too, First char I tried I was able to actually move the chat box to a suitable placement for me, yet when I re- rolled, that was no longer possible.
    I click on skills, old tired hands, so I have yet to find a way to pin the two extra action bars to the screen, therefore, when My old tired mouse hand is flying back and forth to make combo's I often in advertantly, dock and undock, and drag the whole bar off the screen.
    Lastly, I'm having a great deal of trouble completing quests as I am continually ganked in the three areas where my quests are at. And this is on a PVE server, and has occured from 8pm last night until 7am this morning , when I logged off,as now I just delete every quest I get as they are all in those area's.
    the chat box and the action bars.. quickslots, whatever you want to call them, is not a huge issue. But there is a large enough percentage of the community, having a running gank fest, that, the game truely, is unplayable, for me.
    On the plus side,the Graphics, and storyline, are superb.

*sigh* There's a LOCK ACTION BARS function just for this reason.