Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why wont Sony do it? What are they afraid of?

AesperAesper Member UncommonPosts: 90

I'm going to go out to the kitchen and grab myself a cookie because I just posted the 1 millionth thread of this genre. What of it?

And no its not an I hate SOE post.

Server:

(insert server name here)

Enabled expansions:

EverQuest, EverQuest: The Ruins of Kunark, EverQuest: The Scars of Velious (Id like to see Luclin again but I know how the rest of my EQ brethren feel about that one).

Population:

Most likely more than all the other servers combined.

UP

Why not?

Just give me a reason. I wont agree with it, but humor me.

(If you, the reader, can give me one please do. However painfully obvious it may be.)

Thi$ $entance i$ a huge $ubliminal me$$sage to $oE.

EVE Online player since 2007.

"Our greatest glory consist not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

- Oliver Goldsmith

Comments

• HelternHeltern Member Posts: 193

Because they won't come, SOE already messed up. We talked about the "Warrior Stand Down" on Steelwarrior, we went to WoW and there is no way the people lost are coming back. Steelwarrior was the MOST active class site, and unless Warrior class is overhauled (and more people play the class than any other) we are NOT coming back. The worst server in WoW dwarfs the population you have in all of EQ, rofl.

• declaredemerdeclaredemer Member Posts: 2,698

SOE would be required to admit that, yes, the raid-focus game they envision to keep us paying money to raid and raid and raid failed.  (Please see WoW). 

Look at SWG, the most brilliant MMORPG ever created on every level (world immersion, customization, content, gameplay, options, travel, social activities, everything), and SOE managed to destroy that.

SOE had the two best games under its belt 1) Everquest and 2) SWG, and fucked them both up.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Pretty simple answer, because it really won't bring in enough money to make it worth doing.

Sure, for a short time the server would be flooded, but people would quickly leave again (check out DAOC's Classic servers for a great example) 

Besides, many of the players would just be drawn off the existing hardware, which creates its own set of problems.

Yeah, you think a full server would make a lot of money, but even if 25K people joined up, that's pocket change in this world of console games selling 4 million copies and MMO's selling upwards of 10M subs.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran

Pretty simple answer, because it really won't bring in enough money to make it worth doing.
    Sure, for a short time the server would be flooded, but people would quickly leave again (check out DAOC's Classic servers for a great example) 
    Besides, many of the players would just be drawn off the existing hardware, which creates its own set of problems.
    Yeah, you think a full server would make a lot of money, but even if 25K people joined up, that's pocket change in this world of console games selling 4 million copies and MMO's selling upwards of 10M subs.

Then, Kyleran, it is time for SOE to license its intellectual property and let smaller, start-up houses host these servers using SOE's intellectual property.

I bet they would do a better job with less resources.

SOE, though, needs to end all their games and focus on a single title to compete with WoW (Blizzard) and WAR (EA).  Otherwise, it will slowly die because it is like the US military, overstretched. 

• buzzzxbuzzzx Member UncommonPosts: 41

I think a big reason is that it is a move backwards, instead of forwards. The current devs want to think EQ is still current and relevant (debatable), and putting their efforts into a retro-type server forces them to admit that the old EQ was better. They have families to feed and car payments to make, telling their bosses that they want to go back to where the game was 8 years ago just isn't an option, even for one server.

Originally posted by buzzzx

I think a big reason is that it is a move backwards, instead of forwards. The current devs want to think EQ is still current and relevant (debatable), and putting their efforts into a retro-type server forces them to admit that the old EQ was better. They have families to feed and car payments to make, telling their bosses that they want to go back to where the game was 8 years ago just isn't an option, even for one server.
    I think that is.

SOE also diluted the "Everquest" brand by making an Everquest II.

SOE should focus on a single game, though, to compete with EA and Blizzard.  It is over-extended, and I think an opportunity lies with a game such as SWG:  a sci-fi, deep world immersion, open world, etc. that is different from WoW, WAR, etc. 

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

SOE is afraid of doing something right for a change.

Or they know what if they open this server tons of people will play, and their bosses will wonder why they made all these expansions lose customers. They don't want to tell their bosses they have no idea what MMO players want. Its best for them to keep their head in the sand.

I just checked on that and 1/3 of DAoC's population is playing classic cluster. Sorry Kyleran, this may be the first time I disagree with you on something, but the facts say that server is failing no less than the other 2 clusters. In fact, right now at 8:35PM its the most populated cluster.

• krenalorkrenalor Member Posts: 214

QFT, no one is going to play, we moved on.

Originally posted by krenalor

QFT, no one is going to play, we moved on.

Except EQ has maybe 125K subscribers. Sure, if we were talking about WoW I'd agree. However, if you increase a game with 125K subscribers by 25K that is an increase of 20%.

How'd you like your next paycheck to increase by 20%?

You're right, though, many of us have moved on, and EQ may be best just where it is. In our memory.

• tacarozachtacarozach Member Posts: 6

yeah EQs day has long past and the magic is gone and on top of that most of us been tainted by the instant gratification and ez-modness of WoW

A classic server would be so popular and profitable that two servers would be necessary.

If Combine and Sleeper, the progression servers, stayed at PoP or any expansion prior, the Sleeper server would probably still exist and not have died off (merged into Combine).

Customers:  we want classic.

SOE:  here is progression.

The disconnect, I think, has to do with current Everquest developers; they would not be that necessary.  I just spoke with people in Vanguard that have quit EQ because they are sick of new expansions and having to grind out more levels.

Everquest, the true Everquest spirit, dies somewhere around Velious or an expansion or two after that.

• buzzzxbuzzzx Member UncommonPosts: 41
    Originally posted by declaredemer

The disconnect, I think, has to do with current Everquest developers; they would not be that necessary.  I just spoke with people in Vanguard that have quit EQ because they are sick of new expansions and having to grind out more levels.
    Agreed. And that's what I was saying in my post above.  No one who works for Sony EQ is going to push for any kind of retro server.  That's basically giving up their jobs. And if they don't want to do it, I doubt it ever gets done.