Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game reminds me of EQ2

RecantRecant Member UncommonPosts: 1,586

I'll admit that I've played it for about 5 hours - mostly beta and also for a couple of hours on a friends account, scarcely enough for a first impression.   The game did seem very much like EQ2 to me though, in terms of art style, the zoning, the speaking NPCs with conversation trees etc etc.   Combat is an improvement, not a huge leap or anything revolutionary, but that's a nice thing.  Not saying this is a bad thing, just wondering if anyone else had noticed this?

My friend who is playing this much more than me, and has early access, has only played WoW before so he can't compare it to EQ2.   He dislikes the zoning and the closed-world feel, but definately appreciates the more realistic graphics blood splattering on your screen etc.

So anyone who has played this more than me wanna explain how this game is different to EQ2?

Still waiting for your Holy Grail MMORPG? Interesting...

Comments

• HousamHousam Member Posts: 1,460

except for instances...its not like ev2 at all

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

Note that the closed feel and lot of zoning takes place almost exclusively in the 1-20 'newbie experience' that is Tortage. Beyond that you have to zone between areas, but each area is very large and almost all buildings can be entered without zoning 'into' them.

I think the initial area is so zone based and instanciated because it has to hold how ever many folks are going to be packed into it. Especially at release (with numbers like 700k boxes sold on day 1,) the zone would be to packed to go with an open, non-instanced fashion.

• YukkioneYukkione Member Posts: 618

The early levels that you played are designed to teach the game. the game opens way up after you leave Tortage. The game really is nothing like EQ2 other than the fact it's an MMO and there are instances to keep the load of players in areas reasonable.

• EnterTheWombatEnterTheWombat Member UncommonPosts: 112

Exactly right, Fion.  After leaving the 1-20 newbie areas, you can find zones that take FOREVER to run through before you ever see a zoning screen. All the buildings (except for ones that lead to dungeons) you can just walk into with no problems. Having played EQ1 before WoW, the zoning thing didnt bother me at all in this game. 

While it can be annoying to some at times, think about the good things.  When a zone goes down, its more then likely going to be just that zone, instead of the entire continent as in WoW, AQ gates opening and crashing the continent for over a day ring a bell?

• RecantRecant Member UncommonPosts: 1,586

OK so a few people are saying it's "nothing like EQ2", but would you please kindly explain it which ways it is completely different.   Surely this is easy since they apparrently differ so much?  I'm not doubting what you say,  I'm just not seeing it right now.

I think it's fair to say that the low levels are comparable to EQ2s low levels, don't you think?  So how do things change later on?

I assure you this isn't a veiled troll attempt.  It doesn't really matter if the game is like EQ2.  Any new MMOPRG that isn't bug-ridden (which thankfully AoC appears not to be), is a good thing.  New lands, communities and content to explore is a good thing, but what will we be doing past level 20 that isn't the same as EQ2?

• JrodJrod Member Posts: 234

Now I haven't played the game but from some sceenshots and videos it looks kind of like Gods and Heroes to me. 

• WyluliWyluli Member Posts: 80

There are many differences between AoC and EQ2 but foremost in my mind is that EQ2 was a bland, completely uninspired game, filled with large landscapes of absolutely nothing... Even the main plot of EQ 2 was a hackneyed piece of crap.

AoC on the other hand, takes some techniques used in EQ2, including instancing and talking NPCs, and then both visually and with intricate storyline, re-creates the scope and feel of Robert Howards original Conan short stories. I strongly recommend everyone read a few of them, it really enhances the appreciation of the game and how the designers presented it.

After all, it isn't about doing everything uniquely, it's about doing everything right.

Originally posted by Wyluli

There are many differences between AoC and EQ2 but foremost in my mind is that EQ2 was a bland, completely uninspired game, filled with large landscapes of absolutely nothing... Even the main plot of EQ 2 was a hackneyed piece of crap.
    AoC on the other hand, takes some techniques used in EQ2, including instancing and talking NPCs, and then both visually and with intricate storyline, re-creates the scope and feel of Robert Howards original Conan short stories. I strongly recommend everyone read a few of them, it really enhances the appreciation of the game and how the designers presented it.
    That's encouraging to hear, because I do agree that EQ2 was a pretty bland world (compared to EQ1) at least.  The jungles of AoC so far have reminded me most of EQ2s Feerrot zone, which is another reason I'm reminded of the game.

Looking forward to getting my buddy pass off my mate.

• adolf102adolf102 Member UncommonPosts: 41

I actually play EQ2 for almost 2 years. My sub expired about week ago so I can say I have fresh view.

Ah and I was lucky to get to EA.

It is similar in some ways. But it's more a surface similarity and maybe "feel" you get is bit alike. But then which Fantasy MMOs are not similar? :)

Similarities I noticed:

- You have realistic approach to graphic, equipments, mounts, scenery

- You have dialogs instead of quest givers

- You have lot of classes with overlapping abilities ie. few type of healer classes, few time of fighter classes etc

Differences:

- Graphic is nicer, and performance is FAR better

- Shadows works (SOE haven't managed to fix shadows in EQ2 for 4 years)

- Animations of characters are much smoother (with little touches like head turning direction you look, you can sit instead of kneeling)

- Combat is more engaging and *direct* ie what you do you see

- It's more solo friendly. No *forced* grouping at lest <20

Regards,
    adolf

• OzrykOzryk Member Posts: 88

I'm conviced eople who 'started on WoW', or have only ever played WoW as far as MMOs go, are going to ruin this industry.

They want zero challenge, zero originality, and zero point to playing.

Kudos kids, you've destroyed a once beloved and niche genre,

Play past the first 20 levels before you pass judgement or compare it to older games, like one of the earlies posts said.

Why do people need to INCESSANTLY compare games to other games.

WoW blows ass now, period.  Move on.

Originally posted by Ozryk

I'm conviced eople who 'started on WoW', or have only ever played WoW as far as MMOs go, are going to ruin this industry.

They want zero challenge, zero originality, and zero point to playing.

Kudos kids, you've destroyed a once beloved and niche genre,

Play past the first 20 levels before you pass judgement or compare it to older games, like one of the earlies posts said.

Why do people need to INCESSANTLY compare games to other games.

WoW blows ass now, period.  Move on.

What is wrong with you?  I was not judging the game at all, I explicitly stated I hadn't had much experience with the game, I haven't made any statement as to the quality of AoC at all.   I said it reminded me of EQ2, and guess what, some people actually acknowledged the similarities.  So I'm not going totally mad here... whereas you.... look at your post...:

Why does WoW need to blow your ass? Why are you talking about WoW?  Where does that come into it?  I've been playing MMORPGs since EQ, for far longer than I've played WoW - and this is MY thread.  It's a well known fact of game design that the first few hours of any game are the most crucial.  Yes I have played WoW alot too, but what drove you to come up with this garbage.  And you call us kids?

"ruined the industry" blah blah blah.  I don't see AoC exactly struggling for sales, do you?

Put the pitchfork down you're making a scene.