Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I come back to DAoC?

Hello all!

I played DAoC when it first came out and the game was the best ever in content/graphics/quests at the time. Left EQ to play it. I wasn't looking for big RvR, just casual, with most of the game play in PvE (anyway when 80 people + storm a castle the lag was too big to have any fun). Then that dungeon with demons.. Darkness Fall? can't remember the name came out and people lost the meaning of RvR, being only after the drops and items bought in there. But I wasn't a big RvR fan so I didn't care much. I stopped playing it and went back to EQ when Luclin was available (much more better graphics, cool quest, new world to explore). The only bad point I had against DAoC was the small world and painful exp grinding after a certain point (grr pygmy goblins if I remember well).

But now, i need a break from EQ and am considering coming back. Should I? Heard there was a server where there is no RvR? Gaheris I think? Would it give me more world exploration?

Also what class would you suggest? I play a necromancer on roleplaying server in EQ (firiona vie). I am looking for something similar as in: versatility, good in soloing, not bad in group either, self sufficient spell list.

I miss DAoC quests and rich lore, I remember going from town to town to hail npc to have either a help task given or a story told. Tradeskill was also fun. As it changed a lot?

Comments

• HeiunHeiun Member Posts: 2
    I play both games.  EQ more than DAoC, but unlike you I do enjoy the RvR as a break from EQ at times.  There is a co-op server called gaheris and you can do a bit of exploring there.  If you like your necro on EQ, play a necro in DAoC with there mana regen dmg spells, you have very little downtime and can solo quite effectively.  At some point near end game you will need to get a group to help wth finishing your epic, but other than that you are a very very efficient soloer.  Take advantage of the come back for 14 days deal and check it out bud.  That is how I got back into it.  I like alot of the new content and the frontiers are totally different now.  Towers can be toppled and keep walls can have holes knocked into them.  It certainly makes for interesting battles, I think.  I enjoy it anyway.  Hope this helps a little, I am not an expert in any way, just wanted to give you a few highlights.

• jimcgilbertjimcgilbert Member Posts: 9

I have just left SWG and came to DAOC, I love this game RvR is really fun and I just love pouring hot oil off the ramparts of a Keep. the revamp with the frontiers expansion is fun . The grinding your way there is still there but its there in any game I've ever played.

There is a coop server and they do have a necromancer class and I play one on the igrain server. Check out some of the boards for DAOC necromancer's and see what they say about them .

This can help with the classes and what they are as well as the relms http://www.classesofcamelot.com/ and there is always this one http://daoc.catacombs.com/ and this http://www.camelotherald.com/index.shtml

Thanks

Jim

• ArawonArawon Member Posts: 1,108

I have played the game on and off  since it started. Each time I left it was because of the constant nerfing to the class I wanted to play. The DAOC  devs have no core concept of what the game is, and how each profession  should relate in the game. This results in regular nerfing  of some classes as others rant about their being overpowered, while other underpowered classes languish  and never get the ability to be competative.

Lag is now a signifigant problem in the game  as a result of the New Frontiers expansion. As a dial up player I found I simply could not engage in large battle RVR which is what most of the RVR now is.

I found the grind to get to get to level 50 mind nummingly booring. And when you get there and you think you are ready for RVR...you aren't. You have the master levels of TOA to go through plus quest "must have" items. The result  is a class of power players who have the "good stuff" and special abilitys...and casual players who don't.

• sliversliver Member Posts: 132

yes, Daoc is the best mmo out there, ive played alot of other games, and always come back to daoc. It will continue to be the best mmo out until wow and eq2 arrive. So, if you need your mmo fix like i do, its a great one.

edit: also, I just found out by accident that the level 1-4 battlegrounds kicks ass! you dont have to be high level to enjoy good rvr.

• I feel the same way as Sliver Dark age of Camelot is that game that calls to you like a month or even a year after you quit and with catacombs new graphic upgrade the game is going to be great.

• Phear-MePhear-Me Member Posts: 24

DAoC was my first MMORPG. I joined in the 2nd day of retail. I quit when ToA came out. I still miss the game. I took the 14 day freebie to come back, but I just couldn't get past the ToA debacle.

I really miss the game that existed prior to ToA.,

• AlrealAlreal Member Posts: 20

I am wondering the same.

Since leaving Camelot, I have played AO (again) SWG, and am now starting out in eq but I still find myself missing Camelot.

If i choose to go back is it worth picking up the Catacombs expansion?

• AcaeusAcaeus Member Posts: 193

If I needed a MMORPG right now it would be DAoC.

I agree with others, DAoC is still the best MMORPG out there.

My perfect game would be:

- EQs PvE (kiting, rev kiting, swarm kiting, etc)
    - EQs casters with EQs interruption scheme (DAoC caster interruption wasn't designed well)
    - DAoC melee
    - EQ classes, races and Lore
    - Mythic support
    - EQ item drops
    - No item decay for special items (Epic and few no-drops)
    - DAoC death system
    - DAoCs RvR !!! Rocks

• warrilwarril Member Posts: 1

I loved DAoC.  Just cancelled all my accounts about 1 week ago though.  New Frontiers has changed the game in too drastic a way for me at this time.  ToA was bad enough but NF with it now being out of balance once again, in a different way.......  Anyway, if you miss it, try it.  I, myself, need a break.

• LyrenLyren Member Posts: 18

I've been playing DAoC for over two years now. On my main server I have two level 50 toons and an up and coming third (sitting at lvl 38 right now in the Molvik bg cuz its fun).

I quit when TOA was released because I was very burnt out and disgusted with some customer service issues with Mythic.

I took a break from September to around January. It was the best thing I could have done. I came back to my secondary server and lvld up some toons and just goofed around. I did not have TOA, but in February a guildmate on that server talked me into buying it, and they were letting me tag along on xping sessions. I was only lvl 35 on that server so I couldn't really participate in anything.

In March my bf renewed his accounts and we got TOA for all three of our accounts and went back to our main server. We are both fairly casual players now, not logging on every night of the week. I usually play a couple of nights a week and weekend days. I have one toon that is almost all the way through ML9, another that is through ML6, and I have probably 10 activated artifacts on my shaman three of those lvld up to level 10.

It is not impossible to get things done in TOA if you are a casual player. I kept an eye out on raid postings by raid leaders and just organized my gameplay. If a raid was happening on a Saturday I took the three or four hours needed to go and finish the raid. It was not really a big deal, and not completely void of fun or entertainment. I always had fun with my friends in RVR pre-ToA and I still have fun with them in rvr post-ToA as well.

I'll be picking up Catacombs when it comes out, the engine upgrade looks pretty nice. I'm not sure I'm fond of all of the new character models but I doubt it will completely ruin entertainment for me. If I get bored or burnt out I just take a break.

May as well try the free 14 days or whatever the offer is right now. I've had five long lost guild mates return and they're having a blast after being gone for 1 or 1.5 years. You've really got nothing to lose if you do not like the changes.