Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shadowbane pwns n00bs

QualmeQualme Member UncommonPosts: 19

If you want to sit around without any real challenge and be hand fed sissy little machine operated mobiles, then go play some other game.  Shadowbane is PVP with a capitol V.  Only people pose a real challenge in any game, and Shadowbane has the absolute best PVP system of any other game in existence, period.

There are faults.  Duh, what game does not have bugs.  Lag?  They fix lag, then someone whines they want more contents, so in comes content, and the return of lag.

The graphics are not the prettiest, but then the only game with decent graphics is Lineage II, IMNSHO.

To top it all off, there is more actual player community in this game than any of the others.  Guild society and politics is such a deep rooted part of this game.  Cities fall, nations crumble and not from superiority of digitized martial skill but from political maneuvering.

Even more, this game is the only one that lets the players build their own cities of worthwhile scope.

Bah, i've ranted enough.  If you want real pvp, this is it for now, if you want slow constant grueling level grind with pretty scenery, go play Lineage II.  If you want something in between, to play one of those cartoon games like WoW.

Qualme, out.

Qualme (in shadowbane on Mouring)
Pandamonia (in Lineage 2 on Bartz)

forgotten characters (Ultima Online,Everquest,DAoC)
Qualme (Shadowbane on Mourning)
Pandamonia (Lineage 2 on Bartz)
Bridgit (Soul of the Ulimate Nation)
deLiber (Aika Online)
Qualme (ArcheAge on Kyrios)
Looking for next PvP game

Comments

• QweetsQweets Member Posts: 145
    I agree completely.. this is hands down the best PVP MMORPG on the market.. In my opinion.. everyone is entitled to one and thats what i feel about this game.. only mmorpg to have thief's too which is soo fun .. I love stealing from people.. in game not real life heh.

• TaipanTaipan Member Posts: 7

Yep Shadowbane certainly has the best PVP of any of the game I have played although I haven't played SB in awhile. I recently gave Knight-online ago and to say it is a very very sad little game with pretty much no content is something of an understatement.

The thing I really like about SB was that at anytime anywhere you could get jumped by a group of Pkers or enemy giuld groups. It really instilled some fear in the players, perticularly if you were xping and were loaded to the eye balls with good gear and the odd rune.

Now while having the ability to build an entire town/city is fantastic it does get a little heart breaking to have the whole thing tore down in a night. The giuld I was in destroyed 14 towns in a single week back in the day and while the fighting was awesome fun I couldn't help but feel really bad for the guys that put in so much working making those cities. The guild that owned those towns pretty much left the server after that week.

But anyway even with the bad stuff SB is still a hell of alot better than most of the other crap thats out there particularly all the care bear shit, which I hate with a passion.

Death to all Care Bears!!!

• sidebustersidebuster Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

bah! Nice try, but you cant convince me to buy this game!

• GindaceGindace Member Posts: 161
    I got pwnd :(

• LhexLhex Member UncommonPosts: 262

OK.  I downloaded this game to give it a shot and I wish I never let them have my CC# cause I know after the free trial I I know they are gonna bill me and I can't find where to cancel the subscription on the UBI website. Ive looked in the FAQ and tried to edit or update my personal profile but nothing. 

I noticed alot of MMO hide that cancel subscription button deep within their site somewhere. image  I just hope it doesn't take me 15 days to find it!  Maybe they won't charge, Im crossing my fingers.  Well nuff about that now about the game! 

Well first things first.  I hate games where I have to spend the first hour getting a hang of the simple basic things such as controls.  Turning the camera is slow with the mouse and yes you can change that somewhere I am sure. And you start out in walk mode which is slower than a snail.  But I got into run mode and it was still slow, hehe.   All configuration and options are distinguished (for lack of a better term) by indistinguishable icons.  So to simply find the options area you have to guess where it could be and just hit abunch of buttons until walla!, you got it. 

So I tried to change some key bindings to WASD but couldn't find the key bindings area.  Meanwhile I am in a group with one other and am turning the camera with the mouse which is slower than molasses.  I am sure there is a quicker way but simple controls and the finding of rebinding keys should not be a treasure hunt.  There is a saying in hollywood when producers read a script or when an audience watches a movie, they know in the first 10 min whether or not they are going to like it.  Same goes with just about everything and games are no exception. 

So if you want a game with ease of controls stay away!.  I'd rather go back to UO and try to figure that out!  OMG it seems developers skip over the little thing called User Interface!  Shadowbane was released a year ago, right? or little over a year? when was that?, 2003!? This game looks and feels like DAOC or EQ actually pre EQ pre DAOC if thats even possible.  Overall I give 1's down the board cause I couldnt even control the game.  If I cant simply move I cant play.  I have played DAOC, EQ, UO, EVE, PlanetSide, SWG, Rubies of Eventide, Lineage2, Priston Tale, CoH and so on.   And I think this was the quickest I have ever SCRAMBLED TO CANCEL SUBSCRIPTION!  lol have a nice day!

I give every game a chance.  Perhaps I didnt give this game enough of a chance and perhaps someone could change my mind instead of flaming.  I gave the game chance I just dont feel the game gave me a chance.

• ghoul31ghoul31 Member Posts: 1,955

To turn around, I click where i want to go on the mini map.

Then my character turns and starts heading that way instantly.

using the mini map to move and select targets makes things a lot easier.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Well depends how you percieve pvp should be like.

Some like pvp but not the whole kill whenever .

I personally prefer DAoC pvp because it is pvp when you want .Also there is no griefing or lazy looters around

• KredeKrede Member Posts: 25

Originally posted by Qualme
    If you want to sit around without any real challenge and be hand fed sissy little machine operated mobiles, then go play some other game. Shadowbane is PVP with a capitol V. Only people pose a real challenge in any game, and Shadowbane has the absolute best PVP system of any other game in existence, period.
    There are faults. Duh, what game does not have bugs. Lag? They fix lag, then someone whines they want more contents, so in comes content, and the return of lag.
    The graphics are not the prettiest, but then the only game with decent graphics is Lineage II, IMNSHO.
    To top it all off, there is more actual player community in this game than any of the others. Guild society and politics is such a deep rooted part of this game. Cities fall, nations crumble and not from superiority of digitized martial skill but from political maneuvering.
    Even more, this game is the only one that lets the players build their own cities of worthwhile scope.
    Bah, i've ranted enough. If you want real pvp, this is it for now, if you want slow constant grueling level grind with pretty scenery, go play Lineage II. If you want something in between, to play one of those cartoon games like WoW.
    Qualme, out.Qualme (in shadowbane on Mouring)
    Pandamonia (in Lineage 2 on Bartz)

I cant agree more....

Sadly I do not play this game any more, I got a damm slow computer and I cant afford to upgrade it :(
    But I played on Chaos for like 6 mounth and then the server got removed :(
    I moved everything to Curruption and played there for 6 mounth in the Nation TCO ::::02::::::02::
    But I still wanna play it, but cant find the time or the money for it, When im stuck at EVE-Online ::::01::::::01::

Thats my 2 Cents

Darkness is my Path

----------------------------
    Darkness is my Path

• hillshousehillshouse Member Posts: 5

Pawn the n00bs

I have been playing SB since it's beginnings almost 2 years ago.  I have come and gone.  I have created monster zerg guilds and mini PvP guilds on Carnage and Entropy.  Shadowbane is without a doubt the best MMORPG PvP game on the market but it needs an overhaul.  In the current system old time players no longer speak to newbies on the isle, old timers pack their own newbies with gear and stay only long enough to PL them on the mainlands.  Newbie players are leaving quicker and older players are starting to leave for good because the play has not changed enough to keep it entertaining.  SB2 should be in the works or create a drastic upgrade and new world like they said would happen during the last reorg of servers. Things to look to change:

A new idea and not small patches, more equalizing of character races, forced guild types (all ireki, all dwarf, all 1/2 giant) etc or a new world to entice us with different spells, differing items, crafting ability, and events, etc.

Keep the Banes Alive Wolfpack Help us NOW!

Marz R7 Sent  Arena Entropy

• KredeKrede Member Posts: 25

Originally posted by hillshouse

Pawn the n00bs
    I have been playing SB since it's beginnings almost 2 years ago.  I have come and gone.  I have created monster zerg guilds and mini PvP guilds on Carnage and Entropy.  Shadowbane is without a doubt the best MMORPG PvP game on the market but it needs an overhaul.  In the current system old time players no longer speak to newbies on the isle, old timers pack their own newbies with gear and stay only long enough to PL them on the mainlands.  Newbie players are leaving quicker and older players are starting to leave for good because the play has not changed enough to keep it entertaining.  SB2 should be in the works or create a drastic upgrade and new world like they said would happen during the last reorg of servers. Things to look to change:
    A new idea and not small patches, more equalizing of character races, forced guild types (all ireki, all dwarf, all 1/2 giant) etc or a new world to entice us with different spells, differing items, crafting ability, and events, etc.

Keep the Banes Alive Wolfpack Help us NOW!
    Marz R7 Sent  Arena Entropy

I cant agree with this...

If the game forces the races to be in a pure Cen, dwarf or elf guild... Then Shadowbane looks more like WOW, and that game I dont wanna play....

Darkness is my Path

Darkness is my Path

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Despite not a fan of all out and everything goes pvp i recommend this game for those that like this style.

I recognise that everyone has what they like and if you like all out pvp in a mmorpg then this is the game for you.

My only beef is with players in general not just shadowbane that go around spamming that everyone else sucks but their gameplay style.

I think shadowbane caters for a specific type of player and this is a good game for such type of players.

• MarkuMarku Member Posts: 452
    Shadowbane will continue to grow as long as it keeps pumping out expansions to get everyone's attention. to Show the improvements being made(good improvements, more stuff for guilds to focus on, like mines)

• mmorpgvetmmorpgvet Member Posts: 11

I heard UBI plans on releasing something big to improve upon the game.

Rumors are that it's an expansion that is going to blow away the competition of the upcoming mmorpgs.

• Stravus-EBStravus-EB Member Posts: 79
    There are alot of rumors flying around about the xpac. I just hope the rumors are as good as everyone are making them out to be. Hope it is not like DE, UO2, UOX, and a long list of projects that never make it.

• notalentnotalent Member Posts: 123
    uo was better image

• sexyape06sexyape06 Member Posts: 35

yah all i have to say is this game rocks!!!!!!!!!!! i love the player vs player and i love the economy and society and polotic systems in this game. Basicaly what i am trying to say is that I LOVE SHADOWBANE!!!!! been playin since 02 holla at cha boi

P4 2.6 Ghz 800 Mhz FSB 512K L2 cache
    PC 2700 Dual Channel DDR 512MB
    120 Gig 7200 rpm 8mb cache Western
    Apollo Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 256MB

P4 2.6 Ghz 800 Mhz FSB 512K L2 cache
    PC 2700 Dual Channel DDR 512MB
    120 Gig 7200 rpm 8mb cache Western
    Apollo Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 256MB

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

Originally posted by mmorpgvet

Rumors are that it's an expansion that is going to blow away the competition of the upcoming mmorpgs.

That was the funniest thing I ever read in my life.  Please warn people before tossing around jokes like that.   Because I know you can't be serious. image

To the original topic creator.  I'm sure you would like to believe Shadowbane has the best PvP ever.  Like all comments of that nature though it merely opinion, and holds little truth.  For everyone one person you find that thinks SB has best PvP.  You'll find one that thinks something else was better.

If Shadowbane had came out around the time of Everquest who knows.  It might have been what was needed to put PvP into a bigger market.  Then just being the niche it is now.   Outdated Graphics Engine, Horrible Bugs, Memory Leaks, and Ungodly lag killed the game though.  Not to mention there are at least two or three highly awaited PvP titles coming out.  (Dark and Light, Mourning, and Darkfall)

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

Originally posted by Roin

Originally posted by mmorpgvet

That was the funniest thing I ever read in my life.  Please warn people before tossing around jokes like that.   Because I know you can't be serious. image

To the original topic creator.  I'm sure you would like to believe Shadowbane has the best PvP ever.  Like all comments of that nature though it merely opinion, and holds little truth.  For everyone one person you find that thinks SB has best PvP.  You'll find one that thinks something else was better.

If Shadowbane had came out around the time of Everquest who knows.  It might have been what was needed to put PvP into a bigger market.  Then just being the niche it is now.   Outdated Graphics Engine, Horrible Bugs, Memory Leaks, and Ungodly lag killed the game though.  Not to mention there are at least two or three highly awaited PvP titles coming out.  (Dark and Light, Mourning, and Darkfall)

The thing that sets Shadowbane pvp apart from all the rest is that there is no punishment for pking others. There is no stat loss, no murder status, no point system. There is no drawbacks to pvping at all. If you die, you have to repair your equiped gear which cost around 10 to 15k. You can get that from killing 1 or 2 mobs.

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

Don't get me wrong Stravus.  I loved my time in SB.   Maybe i'm just weird...but I really liked the pvp times I had in UO better.  Even though SB owns UO in Character classes.  SB had some of the most fun and inventive classes in a PvP game ever.

I just got a thrill out of knowing at any time I could have my coat, hat, and my shoes took.  If I ran across someone better skilled then myself lol. image

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

I know what you mean but as you know SB is gear and skill dependant. Having to find new gear all the time in SB would be a total pain and would limit the pvp that went on. UO was alot of fun. Gear was easily gotten there totally unlike the SB world.

• IrishCarpIrishCarp Member Posts: 12
    SB has a great PvP system, I came in during beta and loved every minute of it until when all of a sudden the servers were all dead all the time.  I love that you constantly have to watch your back or you could be killed.  I agree with the earlier post the thing that makes it so great is that you face no penalties unless you lose, and then its just a few k to fix your gear.  I've been playing L2 for awhile now since I left SB and going red sucks.  Thats why I'm trying to find out which servers are best and have the highest pops to get back into some fun PvP.

L2-
    Immaculate- DE assassin
    Sabac- De Oracle

SB(retired for now)
    Immaculate Confession- probably a fessor huh?
    FondleMy HorseNuts- Cent Prelate
    Carp TheUnseen- Ireiki Mage Assassin
    IrishCarp-HG Warrior
    Sabac Red- Mino Warrior
    Q-Unique-Human Channy

L2-
    Immaculate- DE assassin
    Sabac- De Oracle

SB(retired for now)
    Immaculate Confession- probably a fessor huh?
    FondleMy HorseNuts- Cent Prelate
    Carp TheUnseen- Ireiki Mage Assassin
    IrishCarp-HG Warrior
    Sabac Red- Mino Warrior
    Q-Unique-Human Channy

Well Vengeance and Mourning have the largest population. Vengeance has the most. Vengeance is also more pvp oriented. Mourning is still the RP server.

• iamsomeguyiamsomeguy Member UncommonPosts: 30

oh yes, little kid i owz j00 stuff

no, shadowbane is not hands down the ultimate PvP game

PvP means you choose a very limited number of classes; and a very limited number of spells

I played for months and months and the rule was there are only 2 types of characters channelers and dead bodies.

The game has no content whatsoever

PvP does not make good content

Building anything (the great idea of this game) takes too much time and costs too much $ and is too easily destroyed.

You couldn't build a small town, or an inn that's out of the way becuase any smacktard will come buy and destroy it.

The game may have changed from since I quit; they collapsed servers and now there is a new expansion coming out.

But, for me, it sucks as a PvP game:  when I want PvP I go play FPS games where my skill is measured against skill, this game doesn't have that.

Which is a shame as it's 1/4 of a really good game.  But they just didnt' finish the other 3/4 of the game....

• ghoul31ghoul31 Member Posts: 1,955

Originally posted by iamsomeguy

oh yes, little kid i owz j00 stuff
    no, shadowbane is not hands down the ultimate PvP game
    PvP means you choose a very limited number of classes; and a very limited number of spells
    I played for months and months and the rule was there are only 2 types of characters channelers and dead bodies.
    The game has no content whatsoever
    PvP does not make good content
    Building anything (the great idea of this game) takes too much time and costs too much $ and is too easily destroyed.
    You couldn't build a small town, or an inn that's out of the way becuase any smacktard will come buy and destroy it.
    The game may have changed from since I quit; they collapsed servers and now there is a new expansion coming out.
    But, for me, it sucks as a PvP game:  when I want PvP I go play FPS games where my skill is measured against skill, this game doesn't have that.
    Which is a shame as it's 1/4 of a really good game.  But they just didnt' finish the other 3/4 of the game....

Yes it has changed since you played. Nothing you have to say applys anymore.

Channys were nerfed a long time ago. The classes are much more balanced now. And how could you say its not about skill? An r4 can easily  beat an R7 if he is skilled and the r7 isn't.

Cities are much easier to defend now, so they aren't destroyed as much.

So yes it is the best PVP game out there.

• thatolchestnthatolchestn Member Posts: 31

Just for reference sake i went from SB to DAoC just for the heck of it and something else to do.

Yes the quests and stuff were nice but hands down SB was a much more enjoyable PVP game than DAoC.

No crowd control, extremel well done balance, and fights that can last up until both sides are out of steam (no 3 second kills).

SB no doubt has its faults but in terms of PvP there's nothing like it.