Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looks funny to me

Player_420Player_420 Member Posts: 686

Does anyone else think the style is lacking here?

I really never minded the approach COH took, but idk theres just something not right here.

I play all ghame

Comments

• CaesarsGhostCaesarsGhost Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

I find the visual style quite appealing actually.

Makes me feel like I'm reading a comic book... which I believe was the goal.

- CaesarsGhost

Lead Gameplay and Gameworld Designer for a yet unnamed MMO Title.
    "When people tell me designing a game is easy, I try to get them to design a board game. Most people don't last 5 minutes, the rest rarely last more then a day. The final few realize it's neither fun nor easy."

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449

Originally posted by CaesarsGhost

I find the visual style quite appealing actually.
    Makes me feel like I'm reading a comic book... which I believe was the goal.

except it's going to be live action, not turn-by-turn/frame-by-frame.  i really hope those screenshots are just conceptual art and not the actual graphics.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• Player_420Player_420 Member Posts: 686

So I understand what you mean with the comic book style.

But to me it seems like im seeing the Incredibles new movie promo.

Maybe make the graphics like this, with a little more grit and toughness to it....like the newer batman comics

and I have never ever bought a comic in my life, just my opinion. dont wanna war with anyone.

Im just hoping maybe one of the devs sees this or something since its early in development.

I play all ghame

• CaesarsGhostCaesarsGhost Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

I don't want to war either, I respect your opinion.

I just happen to like the "comic" style of art direction they're taking this.

...it helps I don't like ultra-realistic...

- CaesarsGhost

Lead Gameplay and Gameworld Designer for a yet unnamed MMO Title.
    "When people tell me designing a game is easy, I try to get them to design a board game. Most people don't last 5 minutes, the rest rarely last more then a day. The final few realize it's neither fun nor easy."

• SouvecSouvec Member UncommonPosts: 698

Originally posted by CaesarsGhost
    I don't want to war either, I respect your opinion.
    I just happen to like the "comic" style of art direction they're taking this.
    ...it helps I don't like ultra-realistic...

I agree Caesar here in this case, being the setting and overall concept of this game.... the comic appeal really seems much more fitting.
  • Shaman64Shaman64 Member Posts: 399

Yea, the art approach has me divided, I like the look but its not something i would play with all day.

Yet strangely , from what little I read on the game and the Ip it feels right.

• M1sf1tM1sf1t Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

Reminds me of the game Freedom Force which was a single player super hero RPG. Of course this game has way better graphics but it's just as colorful. Like someone else said it's like looking at a comic book.

Games I've played/tried out:WAR, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, AoC, EQ1, EQ2, WoW, Vangaurd, FFXI, D&DO, Lineage 2, Saga Of Ryzom, EvE Online, DAoC, Guild Wars,Star Wars Galaxies, Hell Gate London, Auto Assault, Grando Espada ( AKA SoTNW ), Archlord, CoV/H, Star Trek Online, APB, Champions Online, FFXIV, Rift Online, GW2.

Game(s) I Am Currently Playing:

GW2 (+LoL and BF3)

• WickershamWickersham Member UncommonPosts: 2,379

It's a great look for a game based around comic book superheroes.  I can easily see fan comics being made from screen shots from in the game.  It should look and feel like a comic book come to life (the kid in all of us dreamed of this) and I think that is what they have done.  Good job so far!

"The liberties and resulting economic prosperity that YOU take for granted were granted by those "dead guys"

• gurugeorgegurugeorge Member UncommonPosts: 481

I must say, as a CoX fan, and as someone who's looking forward to CO, the visual style of CO is something I find most unattractive. 

I'm of the school of thought that wants to imagine my superheroes being real, not being stuck in comic books.

All I can say is,  I hope they have an option to turn off the cel shading.

• FennrisFennris Member UncommonPosts: 277

The style is fine but... the action in the trailer and the screen shots didn't show us something that was significantly better than what CoX has now.  I don't care about the grass, I really don't.

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

i actually abhor the graphics they have so far.  The novelty of playing in a comic book like setting will wear off fast.

I hope they give us the options to turn off the cell shaders. Im not really impressed.

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• DouhkDouhk Member Posts: 1,019

Hmm, I'm surprised people don't really like the graphics. In my honest opinion I thought they were fantastic... I'm someone who prefers artistic over realistic in a video game... the only exception of this where I liked the realistic art style in a video game was AoC, and the only exception where I disliked the artistic style was (so far) WAR... the game's graphics actually look worse than WoW's with the pictures they've shown so far if you asked me.

I think what people don't understand is that they confuse artistic with being not detailed. The screenshots I've seen of this game so far look beyond compelling in design and detail. Maybe it's just me... I'm a graphic designer for a living so it's no surprise that I'd like this kind of art style in a video game.

It's my personal opinion that they keep or at least keep the core of this art style, but I could live with changes in the future. I just think it looks like a neat and necessary change in design of games from the past. No argument intended but it would be nice to see if someone could mention if this style could potentially be damaging to the game's mechanics in the future. From what I know about designing cel-shading is probably the smartest choice but I don't see it often in games, let alone MMORPGs.

image If only SW:TOR could be this epic...

• ChiramChiram Member UncommonPosts: 643

I love the style. While style isn't everything, I think it is perfect for this game. Lets hope they are smart and put actual obtainable items in the game, unlike COH/COV.

• EbonHawkEbonHawk Member Posts: 545
    Originally posted by Enigma

i actually abhor the graphics they have so far.  The novelty of playing in a comic book like setting will wear off fast.
    I hope they give us the options to turn off the cell shaders. Im not really impressed.

Yeah, I gotta agree with you here.  While it does have that "comic book" style/feel to it I think it will get old fast.  But I would certainly not let it detour me from giving it a try.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Cell shading is one of the worst direction game graphic designer could take.

I have seen many games using it - Always the ones trying to emulate comic or cartoon feel

But absolutely none of them looked any good.

Just check XII from Ubisoft , if you want to see well produced pc game using cel shader.

Cryptic can emulate comic feel , very easily if they just stay away from using BUMP mapping , and use hand drawn textures.

As for now...i am sorry to say. But you should consider new Art Director

• th3proph3cyth3proph3cy Member UncommonPosts: 31

I tihnk the style is quite interesting. They're taking the "cell shading" engine everyone knows, and making it more "comic book like".

If you're a fan of comic books, then you'll know what Champions Online is trying to achieve. Though it's still cartoonish by giving the graphics a "thick border" (cell shading), it's keeping the aspect of a comic book, with realistic features as well (not the cheap Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon drawings we see on TV).

I'm looking forward to this style. I feel graphics aren't everything (and this is coming from someone who actually THREW OUT an 8800GTS (RC1) and bought the 9800GX2 card just for that slight FPS difference (what a waste of money), and Age of Conan proves that (sorry to say, but the gameplay SUCKS from the moment you create a character).

Sure, the graphics aren't top of the line (*cough* Crysis), but they are unique, and looks very interesting.

A well approach Cryptic took, if you ask me.

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

If I wanted to see a comic book like art, Id read a comic book.

This to me isn't my idea of talent:

Looks like Half assed approach to Cel Shading to me.

If you want to see a good cel shading in a upcoming game this is the right way to do it:

http://prince-of-persia.us.ubi.com/index.php?page=media&action=video

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• KushmasterKushmaster Member Posts: 47

I think the visual style is ugly.  I've always hated cel-shading to begin with but CO has way too many black lines.  They practically clutter the screen in some of those shots.  I understand where they're trying to go with this comic-book style approach but IMO it simply isn't working very well.  If they're going to charge people an annual fee for this game they mine as well throw in the option to disable cel-shading.

• Kuji-KiriKuji-Kiri Member Posts: 170
    Originally posted by Enigma

http://prince-of-persia.us.ubi.com/index.php?page=media&action=video

Exactly. I think "Mirror's Edge", an upcoming Parkour game is also cell shaded, and it looks TONS better than CO. At first I thought that it would simply be one of those games that looked better in videos, but that soon came crashing down. Very disappointed with this style.

• Wizziokid091Wizziokid091 Member Posts: 20

I don't understand why every one is Moaning about the graphical style i love it.

it a game about super heroes what's better than putting it  in the style of the comics ???? it just adds to the super hero/villain effect that it should be, if they made it more realistic i would not be interested in this game it would just look horrible also when u have this kind of graphical effect you can experiment allot more than with realistic graphics.. 

Good job cryptic don't change the graphics 

MMO's iv played etc:

Currently playing:
    .Lotro

Retired From best to worst:
    .CoX, SWG, AoC, WoW, Eve online, R.O.S.E online, Kal Online, Runescape, Other F2P mmo's

Waiting for:
    .SGW
    .Champions Online
    .DCUO
    .Star Wars TOR

• DraccanDraccan Member Posts: 1,050
    Originally posted by Wizziokid091

I don't understand why every one is Moaning about the graphical style i love it.
    it a game about super heroes what's better than putting it  in the style of the comics ???? it just adds to the super hero/villain effect that it should be, if they made it more realistic i would not be interested in this game it would just look horrible also when u have this kind of graphical effect you can experiment allot more than with realistic graphics.. 

Good job cryptic don't change the graphics 

I have to agree. The graphics are really refreshing. I am tired of all the "realistic" graphics and this style fits the genre perfectly.

Very nice!

• ipod80gbipod80gb Member Posts: 90

To me, two big differences tat will separate Champions from CoX, and other mmorpgs on the whole...

1) Comic-style graphics (as seen in official screenshots). Yay or Nay? Nay for me

2) Hudless screen... ???

• DeathStrokeDeathStroke Member UncommonPosts: 41

I'm in the same boat.  As a Cox player that is looking at CO as something to move to (DC just doesnt look good...yet) the cell shading has me very skeptical.  I've actually never like any cell shaded game, ever.  I'm not ready to give up on CO, but I'm not as excited about it as I was.

• PrismaticusPrismaticus Member Posts: 24

Count me as one of those sorely disappointed in the art direction. I was hoping for something like Ultra-CoX on mega-steroids... and instead it's looking more like WoW-lite (excepting the costume creation option part which looks much superior to CoX).

I will be giving this game a go but I want to be impressed on all levels to get me to switch from CoX.

• ashlyraaaaayashlyraaaaay Member Posts: 6

Graphics in this game hurt my eyes.

No joke, they literally hurt my eyes. x.x

I had a headache after looking at the screenshots XD