Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My review so far (lvl 00)

So will I get obliterated for giving a review of my patcher, cinematic and login screen interface experience?!!!!!!

Comments

• lexlocilexloci Member Posts: 46

I'm intrigued.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by greymann

So will I get obliterated for giving a review of my patcher, cinematic and login screen interface experience?!!!!!!

I don't remember agreeing to a NDA...

• A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842

"I'm not sure what to think about the reddish Funcom logo slamming into my screen after starting the game, but the animation which is clearly an ingame-capture seems to fill the aspects of roleplaying game completely. Too bad the login screen didn't have any tits."

• greymanngreymann Member Posts: 757

Originally posted by DAS1337

Originally posted by greymann

I don't remember agreeing to a NDA...

By jove you're right!  And me being all careful and shite...

Gigantic client but no problemo; patcher works great, professional, yet most importantly, intriguing interface--makes me want to just click everything!; should be more screens added to the rotation but that's fine for now; lots a logo screens (damn), cool, cool; ok, login screen looks nice, definately want to login and see the world!, buttons look volumptuous and mashable; everything seems solid and sexy.. oh man... I could envision a longer opening cinematic... what was that like only 4 classes shown?--poor casters. Cinematics should make everyone with a particular class in mind cry just looking at him in action. Oh well, still not much to complain about, it wasn't the best cine but quality was top notch.  Maybe they'll have it fleshed out by launch.  Remember kids, this is only a beta. ;)

Tootaloo!

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

I've noticed slight hitches in the opening advertisements.  Not completely smooth, but not bad enough to get annoyed.  It was just something I noticed.  I have a brand new OC'd 9800gtx, so that isn't the problem.  Maybe it's because it's not the newest client, or maybe because it isn't the full version. 

Anyone else notice that?

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

my launcher didnt work under 1680x1250 res.....had to notch it down to a lower level.....screen was black until i did that

Originally posted by DAS1337

I've noticed slight hitches in the opening advertisements.  Not completely smooth, but not bad enough to get annoyed.  It was just something I noticed.  I have a brand new OC'd 9800gtx, so that isn't the problem.  Maybe it's because it's not the newest client, or maybe because it isn't the full version. 

Anyone else notice that?

I just renamed the movie files so it would skip them.  Minus the intro if you haven't seen it yet. 

Alright, time to fast-forward 7 hours.

• BoosthungryBoosthungry Member Posts: 137

Yeh everyone was getting the black screens, all you have to do is fuck with some setting then switch it back, switching to and from windows mode is a popular trick.  You can put ur settings back on full tho, hell i even turned on DX10, though doubt it works.

• CharlizdCharlizd Member UncommonPosts: 923

i was actually told to upgrade my Graphics drivers :) and that eliminated the Black screen

Andrew "Charlizd" Phippen | Lead World Builder | The Saga of Lucimia MMORPG
  • DemonTaoistDemonTaoist Member Posts: 23

this is only a beta. ;)

Not anymore. It's a promotional event/stress test now.

Apparently NDA was lifted last weekend.  Otherwise you'd be breaking it just by implying that you are a tester.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188
    Originally posted by DemonTaoist

this is only a beta. ;)

Not anymore. It's a promotional event/stress test now.

Apparently NDA was lifted last weekend.  Otherwise you'd be breaking it just by implying that you are a tester.

NDA was lifted only for last weekend, right now its in place for this Fileplanet Beta. It will be lifted before the end of it at some point though. But for now once you log into the game its NDA.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

not to get too ahead of the game...but so far:

a) movie sequences are buggy. Either stalls out or choppy on pretty much all resolutions (my vid card is an 8800GT and 5200+ amd dual core...so i know its not my system)

b) black screen...have to fiddle with settings to get it to work properly

not being an ass, just critical on where i spend my money in the future.

we shall see more tomorrow

• jaycat80jaycat80 Member Posts: 6

I am getting the same problem with the intro as well.  Real laggy for me . I have  4gigs  of  and GeForce 7600 512MB ,  AMD athlon 3200+

I am just wondering if I need to upgrade some things.

• DemonTaoistDemonTaoist Member Posts: 23

Just a shot in the dark, but I read a post on the official forums that says there's a problem with LCD screens.

The thread is actually about to fix the problem, so... maybe it's that?

• PleasureBotPleasureBot Member UncommonPosts: 12

Originally posted by peaceandlove

Originally posted by miagisan

a) movie sequences are buggy. Either stalls out or choppy on pretty much all resolutions (my vid card is an 8800GT and 5200+ amd dual core...so i know its not my system)

Are you playing on a Fisher Price? How are you lagging in the intro movie? You do know that you need a good computer to play this game right? I'm not trying to be a dick, but be honest with yourself man.

Wow, no need to be rude. I have an 8800GT (with the latest drivers) and an AMD X2 4200+ and i'm lagging on the intro screens too. Not sure if it only does that with specific drivers, cpus, gpus, etc but regardless it should NOT lag with our CPU/GPU specs. And he has a perfectly fine computer to play it...

• Ulrick28Ulrick28 Member UncommonPosts: 73

For me the lag was because I had a dvd in the dvd drive.  For some reason it accesses the dvd drive when it starts and the dvd access caused my machine to lag.  Once I removed the dvd from teh drive no more lag.

Also once I fiddled with the settings and restarted everything was fine.  I have a 9800gx2 with a qx9450 clocked to 3.3 ghz and 8 gigs of RAM in vista 64.  (yes..way overkill..but ram is cheap now).

The video was well done (the animation was very well done) if a little short.  Nice to see a little magic in the intro and to see it well done.

• PleasureBotPleasureBot Member UncommonPosts: 12

Originally posted by Ulrick28

For me the lag was because I had a dvd in the dvd drive.  For some reason it accesses the dvd drive when it starts and the dvd access caused my machine to lag.  Once I removed the dvd from teh drive no more lag.
    Also once I fiddled with the settings and restarted everything was fine.  I have a 9800gx2 with a qx9450 clocked to 3.3 ghz and 8 gigs of RAM in vista 64.  (yes..way overkill..but ram is cheap now).
    The video was well done (the animation was very well done) if a little short.  Nice to see a little magic in the intro and to see it well done.

Oh wow! I had a CD in the drive too and I took it out and I don't lag anymore on the intro screens :] Crazy.

Thanks a ton!

• KirijiKiriji Member Posts: 340

I had the same problem too, Ive got 2 8800GT's had to lower it down from 1920 to 1650 to get rid of the black screen, but I didnt get the choppy videos like you. When I Alt-Tabbed out though you could for a split second see the menu, its prob just a bug with that card.

• gamedevergamedever Member Posts: 143

Had the choppy video, no black screens.

Took out a DVD in my drive, ran AOC again, bye bye choppy video, thanks guys!

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

intro movies are .bik, notorious for skipping / lagging.

Lowering sound quality might help. Or you can just rename them so they don't play.

You can also get a bink player and play them outside the client, minus the skipping.

Black screen can be fixed by selecting windowed mode in the launcher, then switching to full screen in-game. From here, select your desired resolution. Only needs to be done once, not every time you start.

Summary of the Beta NDA

- You agree not to discuss, opinionate or otherwise disclose information about your experiences of the game in beta anywhere other than on the official beta forums. This point can be waived by written consent from Funcom.

- You agree not to capture, photograph or record any part of the game as you experience it in beta. This point can be waived by written consent from Funcom.

- You agree not to trade in any securities of Funcom, or make incitements to (including advising) such dispositions, as long as the beta test is still covered by NDA.

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

Fixes:

Mess with your resolution from the 'Settings' button in the launcher to fix any black screen issues if they still exist when the OB goes live.  Try turning it down one or two notches.

Once in game his 'ctrl + ~' go to Change Device, and turn Vertical Sync on.  In some cases this can increase frame rate drastically.  In a lot though it won't do anything.  Good luck!

You guys able to redefine keys?

Yeah it's just you or people like you.  I'm not having these video issues other than black screen.  For that just open up the config app where you can change settings and take it off widescreen.  Keep full-screen.

• MahjeMahje Member Posts: 135

my launcher didnt work under 1680x1250 res.....had to notch it down to a lower level.....screen was black until i did that

Same for me the first time but worked in 1680x1250 when i restarted the game. Did u try to run it again with the same settings, seems like it was just the first time all turned out black, atleast for me.