Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan: Pricing Revealed

SzarkSzark News ManagerMember Posts: 4,420

Funcom has released full details on the various pricing schemes for Age of Conan in the various regions that the game will be released.

Last week we announced our basic subscription prices. Today we wanted to give you the entire pricing structure for Age of Conan, including the favorable three and six month packages which give discounts.

In addition to the online subscriptions, players can also purchase 60-day timecards in retail stores around Europe, North America and Oceania. The recommended retail price for 60-day timecards is 29.99 USD / 29.99 EUR (including VAT where applicable). Markets outside Europe, Oceania and North America will follow European pricing.

Read more here.

Comments

• sartoriussartorius Member Posts: 199

Already was posted here: www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/176603 by a member, but still good to news to announce/spread I suppose.

I just hope this one doesn't folow suit of the other and fall into a US vs. EU price difference arguement.

"Death is a dignitary who when he comes announced is to be received
    with formal manifestations of respect, even by those most familiar with him."
    - Ambrose Gwinnett Bierce

• KeladorKelador Member UncommonPosts: 119

It will so to try and stop it yes it would be cheaper for someone in Europe to pay in US Dolla's but they are not getting it cheaper! $15 to someone living in the US is the same ammount to them as £15 is to you  if live in the UK. They dont get discounted bread and milk etc lol its all relative.  So it simple terms for example if a loaf of bread costs you £1 in the uk and $1 in the us its not cheaper in fact due to corruncy rates it would cost the american twice as much to by is loaf of bread if he was charged £1.

• DragonOakDragonOak Member Posts: 322

Originally posted by Kelador

It will so to try and stop it yes it would be cheaper for some in Europe to pay in US Dolla's but they are not getting it cheaper! $15 to someone living in the US is the same ammount to them as £15 is to you  if live in the UK. They dont get discounted bread and milk etc lol its all relative.

Huh?  You do understand exchange rates yes?  One american dollar converts in todays market to about .50 British pound.  One British pound converts to nearly two american dollars.

I still be stunned when I read so many of these posts

Originally posted by DragonOak

It will so to try and stop it yes it would be cheaper for some in Europe to pay in US Dolla's but they are not getting it cheaper! $15 to someone living in the US is the same ammount to them as £15 is to you  if live in the UK. They dont get discounted bread and milk etc lol its all relative.

Huh?  You do understand exchange rates yes?  One american dollar converts in todays market to about .50 British pound.  One British pound converts to nearly two american dollars.

Lol Yes it does but that still does not mean an american's subcription price is cheaper for an american which is the point 15 dollas is 15 dollas to an american not £7.80 or what ever it converts to.

• sysadminsysadmin Member Posts: 30

It will so to try and stop it yes it would be cheaper for someone in Europe to pay in US Dolla's but they are not getting it cheaper! $15 to someone living in the US is the same ammount to them as £15 is to you  if live in the UK. They dont get discounted bread and milk etc lol its all relative.  So it simple terms for example if a loaf of bread costs you £1 in the uk and $1 in the us its not cheaper in fact due to corruncy rates it would cost the american twice as much to by is loaf of bread if he was charged £1.

What ? Did you quit school too early? Don't know what currency exchange is? Don't know the price of stuff changes from Country to Country in Europe even if they have the same currency?

Like I said some months before, this game has no future, and one more proof of that is how their finnantial/sales staff is so junior and immature to the point of relasing this information in this way.

• singsofdeathsingsofdeath Member UncommonPosts: 1,812

Originally posted by sysadmin

What? Did you quit school too early? Don't know what currency exchange is? Don't know the price of stuff changes from Country to Country in Europe even if they have the same currency?
    Like I said some months before, this game has no future, and one more proof of that is how their financial/sales staff is so junior and immature to the point of relasing this information in this way.

Err, never mind the economical discussion led by people who probably don't have enough knowledge about international economics to actually make valid points...

But what the heck are you saying about it being amateurish to release the information as they did? They announced it on their website. Huh? What should they have done in your eyes?

PS: And no, I don't have enough knowledge about international economics either...hence, I don't make comments about it. What I -do- know though, is that the point you make is way too simplistic to be taken seriously.

What ? Did you quit school too early? Don't know what currency exchange is? Don't know the price of stuff changes from Country to Country in Europe even if they have the same currency?

Like I said some months before, this game has no future, and one more proof of that is how their finnantial/sales staff is so junior and immature to the point of relasing this information in this way.

Ok lets start over i was trying to point out that the arguement over subscription prices is pointless i mean yes it would be cheaper for me to pay in dolla's but does that mean that Funcom shoud charge americans 18/19 dollas per month? I was trying to point out that 15 dolla's to someone who lives and works in america is the same as 15 pounds to someone who lives and works in the UK now dont go saying but if you convert that 15 pounds into dollas i get double because thats the point someone in the US cant do that!

• kglidekglide Member UncommonPosts: 1

What Kelador is trying to say to you is that he understand exchange rates but he figures that perhaps the prices are the same is because how your pound is relative to the prices in the market in the UK, as in you go to mcdonalds and spend £5 on a meal, while in the US that same meal costs $5. Perhaps thats just how the market works.

Also in Australia, we pay sometimes over $100 for a game while in the US im pretty sure those games are only $60 or so each. our dollar is like $0.95 so how do u figure that?

Everything to do with your currency in your country is relevant to the market of your country NOT THE EXCHANGE RATE!

On a side note, I am looking forward to this game havn't been this excited since i first played WoW @ release

Originally posted by kglide

What Kelador is trying to say to you is that he understand exchange rates but he figures that perhaps the prices are the same is because how your pound is relative to the prices in the market in the UK, as in you go to mcdonalds and spend £5 on a meal, while in the US that same meal costs $5. Perhaps thats just how the market works.
    Also in Australia, we pay sometimes over $100 for a game while in the US im pretty sure those games are only $60 or so each. our dollar is like $0.95 so how do u figure that?
    Everything to do with your currency in your country is relevant to the market of your country NOT THE EXCHANGE RATE!
    On a side note, I am looking forward to this game havn't been this excited since i first played WoW @ release

Thats what i was trying to say lol and yes im looking forward to the game too pre-ordered it and everything.

Originally posted by DragonOak

Lol Yes it does but that still does not mean an american's subcription price is cheaper for an american which is the point 15 dollas is 15 dollas to an american not £7.80 or what ever it converts to.

Sigh ok, here is how it works, Uncle Bob is a happy Brit, and there is me nephew Bill, the unhappy crabby American.  Uncle Bob has me get an American copy of the game and ship it to him.  Then he has me open the account at $15.00 per month, while Uncle Bob walks down the the exchange bank hands the clerk 7.8 pounds for $15 and then mails that to me.  Do you get it now, of course so many experts here that talk out of the other side, I have a minor in economics btw.

EDIT:  Post thought, if companies keep doing this I could offer to "split the difference" and make some money.  I just need to do it on a mass scale.  So Uncle Bob can go down and exchange 8.5 pounds for $17.34 american dollars, send it to me, save himself half a pound and I make $2.35 american per each person.

• sysadminsysadmin Member Posts: 30

Ok lets start over i was trying to point out that the arguement over subscription prices is pointless i mean yes it would be cheaper for me to pay in dolla's but does that mean that Funcom shoud charge americans 18/19 dollas per month? I was trying to point out that 15 dolla's to someone who lives and works in america is the same as 15 pounds to someone who lives and works in the UK now dont go saying but if you convert that 15 pounds into dollas i get double because thats the point someone in the US cant do that!

I am Sorry Kelador, I didn't want to be rude. But I understand that people outside Europe think that because we have the same currency we all share the same economic situation. That is wrong. In Europe there are countries where the minimum wage(salary) is 300 Eur and some other countryes there minimum wage is 2000 Eur. For example, Inside the EU 1 beer in one Country migh cost 0.5 Eur and in another it might cost 2.0 Eur.

For the average person, 15 Eur for a game monthly fee is not too much, since there are other games with similar fees.

But what I think is wrong and will not be well accepted is the difference beteen the 2 prices, since the monthly fee is an electronic service not a material good , is not even subject of importation fees even if they didn't base their services here in the EU.

If they have higher costs to supply their services here,there  were a lot of other ways to solve this question, but thei did it the worst way....

• GondisGondis Member Posts: 30

people lets recap here. Just because the exchange rate doubles it in numbers does not mean its costing you more. If i took 100 USD and turned it to yen it would become 10,000. Dont go by bigger numbers cost more.

• ZoOoOZoOoO Member Posts: 93

Fact is, hardly the same "item" has the same price in  different countries, and is easy to understand why.

Is not about how much is the cost to make the item, but, how much revenue you can get from the item.

To me, makes little sense those "wide" price policies on mmogames, i just imagine, they cant find a way to targeting their costumers in a much wiser/better way.

When we talk about 15 euros per month, in Europe (union) i mind you, Europe is not just UK and France , but 27 countries anf getting bigger, we are talking about taking out of the equation about 50/60% of those countries, cost, 15 euros on most of those countries, can not be "wasted" into an online game.

• Blaze007Blaze007 Member Posts: 188

I wonder - I am in USA right now, but will move back to Europe in September: if I set up my payment options from USA and do not change my address at Funcom’s account will they still charge me the American rates? Does it make any difference if I buy and play USA or Euro version of the game?

• singsofdeathsingsofdeath Member UncommonPosts: 1,812

Originally posted by ZoOoO

Fact is, hardly the same "item" has the same price in  different countries, and is easy to understand why.
     Is not about how much is the cost to make the item, but, how much revenue you can get from the item.

To me, makes little sense those "wide" price policies on mmogames, i just imagine, they cant find a way to targeting their costumers in a much wiser/better way.

When we talk about 15 euros per month, in Europe (union) i mind you, Europe is not just UK and France , but 27 countries anf getting bigger, we are talking about taking out of the equation about 50/60% of those countries, cost, 15 euros on most of those countries, can not be "wasted" into an online game.

Ahh, I can agree to that. But that's a problem of the EU, or the Euro as a currency, respectively. It's because economical powerhouses, such as France/Germany are thrown into the same pot as comparatively weaker economies in the EU states.

It leads to unfair pricing in some countries. But I don't know what companies could do to circumvent that and make prices fair. Again, I am no economics expert. *shrug*

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Hey I used to live in the UK couple years ago and now in Canada. I think its a good price all around, if I was in the UK I would be happy with the pay structure, now in Canada it looks pretty normal to me too.

My house was twice as expensive and 1/3 smaller in the UK than now, Gas/Petrol is literally twice as expensive in the UK. I can buy butter 3 times the amount for the same price / brand as in the UK.  Tax is only 5% in Canada compared to the UK's 17.5% VAT. Generally though from experience you get paid more for the same job in the UK hence the differences in basic cost of living.

I dont know what the fuss is about, but its all mute as it evens itself out per person nationally and statistically.

• HastorHadronHastorHadron Member Posts: 187

Lol,

The prices here in Australia are killing me.

Granted the interest rates in savings are much higher, but nowhere near the increase to the cost of living adjustment moving from the US to Australia.

• AlienShirtAlienShirt Member UncommonPosts: 621

It will be nice to pay $14.99 a month for a game that will still be in beta when it launches.

• Blaze007Blaze007 Member Posts: 188
    Originally posted by AlienShirt

It will be nice to pay $14.99 a month for a game that will still be in beta when it launches.

Considering this is the firs serious title since April 2007 (Lotro) I am willing to pay even for beta…

• SunwolfNCSunwolfNC Member UncommonPosts: 188

Your comments have no weight when you can't spell simple words and offer a 100% negative opnion on a companies business model, when you have  z e r o  clue what they're doing internally, or why they're doing it. But then again, this is Teh Intarwebz, and everyone with an opnion is going to tell everyone else about it so.... *shrug*.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I know it is a practice common to most MMO, but again I feel we Europeans are ripped off.

$15 would be equal to about 9.50 Euro based on the current Dollar VS Euro exchange, including VAT this would be 11.50 to 12 Euro. per month not 15! I wonder why I just cant play it on US servers and then pay in US Dollar?

It's "funny" nowadays they tend to focus Non-American regions based on Euro. There were days when all was focussed on Dollar but these days Dollar is way too weak so the base  other regions on Euro more and more.

As to the  Dollar VS British Pound debate: an often used method to compare the value of money is comparing the prices of a BigMac, because thats a standardized manufactured good, which is all over the world identical. So how many BigMacs do you get for the US Dollar price compared to the UK Pound pricing, then you have a realistic value relation.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• vengeance_Dtvengeance_Dt Member Posts: 1

Well I'm glad Australia will be covered by North American pricing with the descending $US it has made a difference, I remember when euro was less than the $US but these days if I go for 6 month pricing:

75 Euro = 127 Aussie Dollars

77 USD = 83 Aussie Dollars

Quite a difference...

Originally posted by SunwolfNC

Your comments have no weight when you can't spell simple words and offer a 100% negative opnion on a companies business model, when you have  z e r o  clue what they're doing internally, or why they're doing it. But then again, this is Teh Intarwebz, and everyone with an opnion is going to tell everyone else about it so.... *shrug*.

Ummm ok, gotcha!!!

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Originally posted by Elikal

I know it is a practice common to most MMO, but again I feel we Europeans are ripped off.
    $15 would be equal to about 9.50 Euro based on the current Dollar VS Euro exchange, including VAT this would be 11.50 to 12 Euro. per month not 15! I wonder why I just cant play it on US servers and then pay in US Dollar?
    It's "funny" nowadays they tend to focus Non-American regions based on Euro. There were days when all was focussed on Dollar but these days Dollar is way too weak so the base  other regions on Euro more and more.
    As to the  Dollar VS British Pound debate: an often used method to compare the value of money is comparing the prices of a BigMac, because thats a standardized manufactured good, which is all over the world identical. So how many BigMacs do you get for the US Dollar price compared to the UK Pound pricing, then you have a realistic value relation.
    You could play on US servers with a US subscription, but your credit card would be charged more for the foreign currency conversion, making it just as expensive as the home server of your countries sub price. Bank charges suck! been there tried that.

• nikkimondnikkimond Member Posts: 40

damm europeans getting rippied off because the dollar isn't worth anything anymore