Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lore?

I don't know about everyone else, but the closer release gets ( open beta too ) the more excited I get. I'm finding myself watching the conan movies again, dusting off my old comics from when I was a kid, pretty much just getting that kiddie excited feel.

I loved how conan was always wandering the wasteland with odd encounters, magic, mystery, adventure. I hope this translates well in game and isn't purely about awesome combat.

I hope there are some adventures like when conan/his wench break into the snake temple and kill that giant snake ( james earl jones's wife? ) who knows.

What have you done in the last weeks,months, years in anticipation.

PLAY WURM ONLINE!! www.wurmonline.com

Comments

• SigneSigne Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,524

I think I'm lucky in a way.  I have no preconceived expectations for this game.  I never read the books, comics and the one Conan film I saw, I didn't like.  I can't help thinking that if you loved all the stuff associated with Conan, it'll be easier to disappoint.  I haven't done anything but pick up an open beta key from Fileplanet to which I was already subscribed.  Hopefully, my lack of preparation will pay off! 

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198

I would respectfully suggest that you go grab the Robert E. Howard stories if you want to get a real feel for what to expect.  They are collected in 3 volumes in order of publication, should be able to find them at most major bookstores.  The Arnold movies were fun, as were some of the comics, but it is understating it severely to say that they are to the original stories as Disney fairy tales are to Grimm's fairy tales, and the devs have said repeatedly that Howard's works are their primary inspiration.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• peteski123peteski123 Member UncommonPosts: 447

Originally posted by Signe

I think I'm lucky in a way.  I have no preconceived expectations for this game.  I never read the books, comics and the one Conan film I saw, I didn't like.  I can't help thinking that if you loved all the stuff associated with Conan, it'll be easier to disappoint.  I haven't done anything but pick up an open beta key from Fileplanet to which I was already subscribed.  Hopefully, my lack of preparation will pay off! 
    rofl

you have a beta key and your writing on a topic about an mmo and you have no preconceived expectations..  think you need to re think then re word lol...  no ofense

• pixeldogmeatpixeldogmeat Member Posts: 441

so what if he has a beta key? He's a file planet paying member and it was made available to him.

Just because some of us know about conan ( i personally haven't read the books mentioned above ) doesn't mean we need to create this elitist mentality and shun those who aren't as into the lore as you are.

In the end, just be kind. Save your negative energy for pvp/pve in AoC.

Seriously.

PLAY WURM ONLINE!! www.wurmonline.com

• SigneSigne Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,524

Originally posted by peteski123

Originally posted by Signe

rofl

you have a beta key and your writing on a topic about an mmo and you have no preconceived expectations..  think you need to re think then re word lol...  no ofense

Hehe... fair enough.  I meant that I have no preconceived expectations as far as lore is concerned.  I don't know the lore so I'll be seeing whatever there is of it for the first time in the game.  Of course, after a bajillion years of playing MMOs, MUDs, and the like, I have reasonable expectations as far as gameplay, content, mechanics, etc. is concerned.

And thanks for nice words, Pixeldogmeat.  (what a name!! )

• WhiteScionWhiteScion Member Posts: 67

Signe I am in the exact same position as you.

Never read the books. I just want a good mmorpg,

that makes me want to come back and play it.

I even have a beta key and all :P

• JammaslamJammaslam Member Posts: 265

Ive read the books, the comic books, seen the movies, even have the music cd from the movie, I  took HGH, became a professional bodybuilder and went to a renaissance fair dressed as Conan (ok, not that last part).  None of these were done in anticipation of the game though as I did them before the game was even announced.

But I may not play the game, at the moment am waiting on word when the NDA is lifted but am keeping an eye on things.