Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA pulls the plug out of The Sims Online

2»

Comments

• DracusDracus Member Posts: 1,449

Ok, I'll play along.

I'll give credit that to create The Sims Online was a good idea, based on the record sales of The Sims.  However, how TSO was managed and executed, well I'll let history prove that EA made the wrong decisions:

2002:

Players will choose a "city" for their Sim to call home in the online game. Each city initially will support a population of 30,000-40,000 players. And Wright said the game will start with 25-30 cities ready to be populated, many with a theme (such as theme parks or nightclubs). As the game grows, so will the size of cities (with populations expected to max out around 100,000) and the number of towns around the Sims world.   -CNN Money

25 cities at 30k-40k, but with potential of going up to 100,00 per city.  Projected Max User Population: 3 MILLION

2003:

TSO breaks past 100,000 users in the first few months and then plummets.  -MMOGCHART

Skip to 2008:

TSO becomes EA-Land:

The 12 different cities from TSO are being moved to EA-Land and the game area is being expanded to be “100 times bigger than the previous size of any city.” Existing TSO users will be able to purchase land in EA-Land before the new (reincarnated) world is open to the public with paying TSO users becoming “EA-Land subscribers” in a similar fashion to the way Linden Lab charges for land in Second Life.  -TechCrunch

Ok, so we now have 12 cities from the 25 to 30; but with a much larger cities...

MMOGCHART reports less than 10,000 users in 2008.

So... who's mistake was this?

And that is why...

Conservatives' pessimism is conducive to their happiness in three ways. First, they are rarely surprised -- they are right more often than not about the course of events. Second, when they are wrong they are happy to be so. Third, because pessimistic conservatives put not their faith in princes -- government -- they accept that happiness is a function of fending for oneself. They believe that happiness is an activity -- it is inseparable from the pursuit of happiness.