Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To All new players and players thinking about joining SWG

DanetiDaneti Member Posts: 63

This is just a quick message to all players either starting to play SWG or thinking about it.

Star wars galaxies is a great game and is only getting better with every week with more and more content being added for free all the time, so far in the last year we have had enough content  to fill 3 expansions.

To all new players, when joining SWG there will be a list of servers to start on and to join, the recommended servers are always going to be the most populated, which means increased lag among other problems.

I play on Valcyn which is one of the smaller servers, as a result of it being one of the smaller servers it has a very good little community with many players who enjoy helping the new gamer.

If you do decide to start a toon on Valcyn you can find helpful entertainers in the cantina in mos eisley where you start, or if you happen to see a player with the guild tag RAGE above there heads then ask them they will be more then happy to assist you in anything you may need.

Valcyn also has a group of players who have set up a system where new players can get the items that would otherwise be out of reach in order to help you along your way.

My in game name on Valcyn is Daneti and I am on of the leaders of the guild RAGE.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask them I will be more then happy to help.

Comments

• Sam123jo0123Sam123jo0123 Member Posts: 409
    Originally posted by Daneti

This is just a quick message to all players either starting to play SWG or thinking about it.
    Star wars galaxies is a great game and is only getting better with every week with more and more content being added for free all the time, so far in the last year we have had enough content  to fill 3 expansions.
    To all new players, when joining SWG there will be a list of servers to start on and to join, the recommended servers are always going to be the most populated, which means increased lag among other problems.

I play on Valcyn which is one of the smaller servers, as a result of it being one of the smaller servers it has a very good little community with many players who enjoy helping the new gamer.
    If you do decide to start a toon on Valcyn you can find helpful entertainers in the cantina in mos eisley where you start, or if you happen to see a player with the guild tag RAGE above there heads then ask them they will be more then happy to assist you in anything you may need.
    Valcyn also has a group of players who have set up a system where new players can get the items that would otherwise be out of reach in order to help you along your way.
    My in game name on Valcyn is Daneti and I am on of the leaders of the guild RAGE.
    If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask them I will be more then happy to help.

Very informative :) - Good for the new players.

Account has been stolen, why would someone want to steal my account?

• Rule 8, possibly Rule 7, and unquestionably there will be a Rule 6 soon.

By all means, try the trial.  That way you don't pay SOE anything until you are sure you want to.  Indeed, I encourage everyone on the fence to try the trial.  Learn for yourself.

Don't take my word for it.

And don't take any fanboi's word for it.

Originally posted by salvaje

Rule 8.
    By all means, try the trial.  That way you don't pay SOE anything until you are sure you want to.  Indeed, I encourage everyone on the fence to try the trial.  Learn for yourself.
    Don't take my word for it.
    And don't take any fanboi's word for it.

This is what a trial is generally for - in-case you just found out.

• RelCenturicaRelCenturica Member Posts: 80

I'm just sad new players can't experience what it was like back before CU.

But yea, by all means try the game...

"There's one MMO developer that doesn't want the money put in front of them - SOE"

• DanetiDaneti Member Posts: 63

Originally posted by RelCenturica

I knew what it was like back before the CU, and yeah there are a lot of players who miss it and wish it was still like that, but for me I moved on and learned the new game and to be honest there is no other MMO I like and I have played most of them.

After all its star wars

• RelCenturicaRelCenturica Member Posts: 80

Originally posted by RelCenturica

I knew what it was like back before the CU, and yeah there are a lot of players who miss it and wish it was still like that, but for me I moved on and learned the new game and to be honest there is no other MMO I like and I have played most of them.

After all its star wars

They can put Pre-CU up and slap a name like "Third Life" on it and I'd still resub in a second

I've trialed the NGE, but its just not playable to me. I just think of it now as a harsh zombification of the original game.

"There's one MMO developer that doesn't want the money put in front of them - SOE"

• iwantmyswgiwantmyswg Member Posts: 301

here is my hint to new players.

play eve.

Originally posted by iwantmyswg

play eve.

I agree, who wouldn't want to wait 5 years to become skilled.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Better than paying for a game for 5 years that is still in beta.

Why should anyone want to play a game, where the #1 issue for players is low population, and the fact the game company REFUSES to offer free server transfers or server merges? Why play an almost  dead game?

People don't play this game for a reason: comparatively, it is not good or worth the money.

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278

Originally posted by Sam123jo0123

play eve.

Yeah, cause who wants to actually work for a reward. We want our uber stuff NOW!

• DanetiDaneti Member Posts: 63

Originally posted by Burntvet

Why should anyone want to play a game, where the #1 issue for players is low population, and the fact the game company REFUSES to offer free server transfers or server merges? Why play an almost  dead game?
    People don't play this game for a reason: comparatively, it is not good or worth the money.
    the game has shown a significant growth in the last year with the number of players, both new players and returning vets, yes some servers are a lot smaller then others, but this post is aimed at people wanting to try the game for themselves, not for people to take a swing at something they don't like, if you don't like it great move on why waste your time bad mouthing it here ?

Not everyone will like every game, that is because we are all different, however there are many that do like SWG, I agree they should do merges I have never claimed different, and yes there are being stupid by not doing them, but we can not control what they do, I choose to concentrate on the good aspects rather then the bad.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

the game has shown a significant growth in the last year with the number of players, both new players and returning vets, yes some servers are a lot smaller then others, but this post is aimed at people wanting to try the game for themselves, not for people to take a swing at something they don't like, if you don't like it great move on why waste your time bad mouthing it here ?

Not everyone will like every game, that is because we are all different, however there are many that do like SWG, I agree they should do merges I have never claimed different, and yes there are being stupid by not doing them, but we can not control what they do, I choose to concentrate on the good aspects rather then the bad.

Because no one should be duped into paying the highest subscription rate for a current MMO on the market for a game plagued with several year old bugs, dead servers, and a company that has the habit of racially changing the core game play system repeatedly, without being warned about it.

This is not a question of "taste". It is a question of lack overall quality, poor game management, corporate greed at the expense of the playerbase, and paying a premium price for a beta level game.

Can you name one thing that $OE has ever done that has "cost" them money, which other companies have done, to make up for something they have screwed up? Do they ever offer free play time when servers are down for days or they jacked up someone's acct? Nope. Did they ever offer free play time after the CU or NGE when the game was not playable or "fun" by their own admission (Smed et al)? Nope. Do they currently offer transfers from the many dead servers, at a free or reduced rate, to allow the few remaining players there some semblance of playing with others? Nope.

They only offer free playtime to people to sucker people, either vets or noobs (and the noob area is FAR more polished than the rest of the game, what are the chances?) to fork over the cash.

Bad company, sub-par game, high price. And you people wonder why next to no one is playing?

• ValeranValeran Member Posts: 925

How can you say the game has shown significant growth when several servers are now ghost towns?

If vets are coming back and new players are arriving then why is there such an outcry for server merges?

If the game is so great then why has the population dropped drastically since NGE release?

--------
    Ten Golden Rules Of Videogame Fanboyism

"SOE has probably united more gamers in hatred than Blizzard has subs"...daelnor

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

I recommend the game...the bundle pack with all expansions is inexpensive...and it provided me hours of enjoyment and exploration for 3 months at a reasonable monthly cost. I didn't even explore a fraction of the worlds...I did play a jedi..probably should have picked something else. Only problem i had is once i reached 52nd level there was no other story content. Granted I was not a guild member  but still....I have no pre-cu/nge experience...but i have read considerably ..on the forums and such...It seems there was a few good things that were done away with...and I even agree,,,no one should start as a Jedi...but i also understand some of the reasons it was changed. Despite the open ended sandbox world and the multiple professions and skills...I never watched star wars once...of many viewings...and thought " I want to be a moisture farmer just like Uncle Owen"...or the one Imperial guard that is always stareing off into space while standing on a rail-less precipice of some space station. A merger of the ultra-realism and an action oriented game was ultimately a good idea...only too long after the initial subscribers were accustomed to the game as it existed. Still ..i enjoyed the game and only left after 52nd level due to content issues. The only problem i have with SOE(and any others involved)..is the lack of loyalty to an apparently strong and established fan/subscriber base...

• ValeranValeran Member Posts: 925

Originally posted by BarCrow

I recommend the game...the bundle pack with all expansions is inexpensive...and it provided me hours of enjoyment and exploration for 3 months at a reasonable monthly cost. I didn't even explore a fraction of the worlds...I did play a jedi..probably should have picked something else. Only problem i had is once i reached 52nd level there was no other story content. Granted I was not a guild member  but still....I have no pre-cu/nge experience...but i have read considerably ..on the forums and such...It seems there was a few good things that were done away with...and I even agree,,,no one should start as a Jedi...but i also understand some of the reasons it was changed. Despite the open ended sandbox world and the multiple professions and skills...I never watched star wars once...of many viewings...and thought " I want to be a moisture farmer just like Uncle Owen"...or the one Imperial guard that is always stareing off into space while standing on a rail-less precipice of some space station. A merger of the ultra-realism and an action oriented game was ultimately a good idea...only too long after the initial subscribers were accustomed to the game as it existed. Still ..i enjoyed the game and only left after 52nd level due to content issues.

except for the whole retaining and gaining paying customer thing.

So you are recommending a game to people that you yourself agreed has content issues and quit?

**scratches head**

--------
    Ten Golden Rules Of Videogame Fanboyism

"SOE has probably united more gamers in hatred than Blizzard has subs"...daelnor

• therain93therain93 Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Originally posted by Valeran

I recommend the game...the bundle pack with all expansions is inexpensive...and it provided me hours of enjoyment and exploration for 3 months at a reasonable monthly cost. I didn't even explore a fraction of the worlds...I did play a jedi..probably should have picked something else. Only problem i had is once i reached 52nd level there was no other story content. Granted I was not a guild member  but still....I have no pre-cu/nge experience...but i have read considerably ..on the forums and such...It seems there was a few good things that were done away with...and I even agree,,,no one should start as a Jedi...but i also understand some of the reasons it was changed. Despite the open ended sandbox world and the multiple professions and skills...I never watched star wars once...of many viewings...and thought " I want to be a moisture farmer just like Uncle Owen"...or the one Imperial guard that is always stareing off into space while standing on a rail-less precipice of some space station. A merger of the ultra-realism and an action oriented game was ultimately a good idea...only too long after the initial subscribers were accustomed to the game as it existed. Still ..i enjoyed the game and only left after 52nd level due to content issues.

So you are recommending a game to people that you yourself agreed has content issues and quit?

**scratches head**

He's recommending a game he enjoyed while he played it.  Then he "ran out of content" so he left. What's the difference between that and reaching level 70 in WoW?  Nothing.  Value in the time played is relative to everyone but your snarky kind of comment is simply trolling.

**scratches head**

I did amend and stated that it was not good for existing player base...however I had no issues for 3 mnths...and all in all..I dont think $21.65/mnth {[19.99+(14.99x3)]/3} is too shabby...particularly when I...and i stress...I....enjoyed the time spent. Did i recommend that all should play and forever be content ...til times end...wanting...dare i say ...needing nothing else but to subsist only on SWG...no...I merely recommended the game for some entertainment...and trusted that all who read and perhaps play...have the free will to cancel at their leisure.

• therain93therain93 Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

I did amend and stated that it was not good for existing player base...however I had no issues for 3 mnths...and all in all..I dont think $21.65/mnth {[19.99+(14.99x3)]/3} is too shabby...particularly when I...and i stress...I....enjoyed the time spent. Did i recommend that all should play and forever be content ...til times end...wanting...dare i say ...needing nothing else but to subsist only on SWG...no...I merely recommended the game for some entertainment...and trusted that all who read and perhaps play...have the free will to cancel at their leisure.

Don't worry they do and in large groups.

I fail to see how baiting comments like this are on topic to the OPs point which was "Hey, if you come to Valcyn, there's a nice community here."

Don't worry they do and in large groups.

I am being insensitive...SWG or SOE or Lucasarts or an abusive Wookie apparently injured you deeply... I can't believe I didn't notice before...*sniff*..I am deeply sorry for your loss..and hope you can continue on with life and your insightful and life changing forum posts. There is hope...please..don't give up.......... in the meantime...I still recommend this game for brief or extended enjoyment.

side note: In your grief, Valeran, you stated I mentioned declining populations. I did not..and had not experienced any population problems when I played...granted..it was a year ago. Yes ..you were right ...i did leave after 52nd level due to content...thats true...but i left behind a huge friend list in the process. Pop and grouping was no issue.

• ThunderousThunderous Member Posts: 1,152

Viral Marketing.

This game is NOT a solid, well-designed game that these people would like newcomers to think it is.

The severs are EMPTY.

The content is MINIMAL.

There have been NO expansions for years.

If you are new, and you (for whatever reason) wish to play this game, USE THE FREE TRIAL.  Don't pay a dime until you have.  Period.

This game is little better than a glorified game in Beta-stage. 

Don't let these viral marketers sucker you into wasting your money.  Use the Free Trial.

Tecmo Bowl.

Originally posted by Thunderous

Viral Marketing.
    This game is NOT a solid, well-designed game that these people would like newcomers to think it is.
    The severs are EMPTY.
    The content is MINIMAL.

If you are new, and you (for whatever reason) wish to play this game, USE THE FREE TRIAL.  Don't pay a dime until you have.  Period.
    Don't let these viral marketers sucker you into wasting your money.  Use the Free Trial.

Heh...what is it with you people. Some enjoy the game...all games have flaws...I play a video game of any sort and i would expect to encounter bug(s) or displeasure in certain game mechanics...at some point. Because they are made by H U M A N S. yes ,,,that's right...homosapiens...who..can..omfg..make mistakes...make bad decisions...not think of certain scenarios...dont like a game or what it has become....dont play. Alas, this has been said before. I never said it was perfect..only that i had limited issues with content. of course there were bugs..lag...bad game UI issues...something i've experienced in every fuggin computer game i've ever played...."viral marketing"?..the only virus i am sure exists in this forum is the Mad Cow disease you and your other bitter compadre contracted. You two share a hamburger or something?

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

Viral Marketing.
    The severs are EMPTY.
    The content is MINIMAL.

/QFE

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• ummaxummax Member Posts: 779
    Originally posted by Bob_Blawblaw

Originally posted by Sam123jo0123

play eve.

Yeah, cause who wants to actually work for a reward. We want our uber stuff NOW!

I hate to say it there is ZERO work involved in gaining skills in EVE.  You hit a button and a timer goes off and you log out and you dont do any work or anything.  I hated that system and its one reason one HUGE reason I dont play EVE as all skills are required by NOT playing the game and paying them money and logging out.  Its probably one of the biggest problems I see with EVE along with "how can we keep our players paying forever" and the fact that its impossible to catch up to a year 1 vet because the entire thing is simply based on time you have spent paying them money.   I hate that design and it means that playing fields can never been equal ever.  Truly their training system sucks big time lol.. arggh

• ummaxummax Member Posts: 779

Viral Marketing.
    The severs are EMPTY.
    The content is MINIMAL.

I love coke they us viral marketing and give away free coke

Viral marketing is in fact the giving away of free stuff in order to give them a sample or taste.   Also please once and awhile fix your posting macro to say something else as this one is getting borring .. maybe change the words once and awhile or shuffle the sentances or something..

p.s. you better look up viral marketing by the way.. ...

Try the free trial. Only makes sense to "test drive" before you buy. On this point I certainly agree.

This discussion has been closed.