Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you think this is enough to play AoC at WoW-smoothness?

NeverdyneNeverdyne Member Posts: 167

Here's the link with the component list: http://www.buildyourown.org.uk/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=36073

As you can see I'm gonna try build it myself, though this the first time I'll do it. It'll be 4GB of memory total. Do you think I can play Age of Conan with a smoothness equivalent to that of WoW?

Thanks!

Comments

• Dark040Dark040 Member Posts: 1

Ya dude that is way more than enough... Should bea great machine for ya!  Im gonna say my part not directed towards you but everyone else :   Why does everyone thing you must have a beast to even play this game??? lol

• NeverdyneNeverdyne Member Posts: 167

Thanks! I don't know about the beast thing, I think it's because I've had a bad experience with computers in the past regarding PC Games, ever since that time when my first computer couldn't play Age of Empires II :P

• EcranomicalEcranomical Member Posts: 326

You're going to need a 64 bit OS to run 4gb ram. The one you have there - as far  as I can tell - is the regular 32 bit.

I'd also suggest looking else where - amazon might not be the best option. You can probably find some deals or package deals even. Check the usual, newegg, tigerdirect, etc.

And if you live in Canada hit up ncix, tigerdirect, direct canada, etc.

A good site that I usually use is www.shopbot.ca

Good for comparing the prices of most online retailers. They have an American version as well - i'm just used to the ca.

• so2404so2404 Member Posts: 57

think its more or less, the first mmo where ppl said i need a new computer for. and the market right now either you build a beast or you build a crapper. with the 8800/3870 card getting pretty cheap quad's and duel's cheap ram dirt cheap. so go for the best or not at all i suppose

• Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955

As mentioned above you need a 64bit OS, Vista if you want DX10 ( minimum Home Premium).   You could also fit faster memory with that motherboard.  As also mentioned above I would shop around a bit for lower prices.  As it stands that system would run AoC on medium settings fine I should think.

Alright thanks for the great advice! What I'm concerned about Vista for gaming, though I've never tried it and if you think it's not better I might give it a try.

As for Amazon, well it's the only place I've found that sells computer parts to foreign countries, so I don't have many options to buy from (sadly).

I was investigating about memory and I'm kind of confused still on which memory is the fastest in the DDR2 category. It seems that if I increase the MHz, the latency increases too, making it slower?

Finally, what would you change to that you can run AoC on high?

Thanks!

Originally posted by Neverdyne

Alright thanks for the great advice! What I'm concerned about Vista for gaming, though I've never tried it and if you think it's not better I might give it a try.
    As for Amazon, well it's the only place I've found that sells computer parts to foreign countries, so I don't have many options to buy from (sadly).
    I was investigating about memory and I'm kind of confused still on which memory is the fastest in the DDR2 category. It seems that if I increase the MHz, the latency increases too, making it slower?
    Finally, what would you change to that you can run AoC on high?

Thanks!

1066 is faster despite the higher latency, however for lotsa money you can get 1066 memory with low latency as well :)

As for changes mate it all comes down to how much you have to spend, just get the best that you can afford at the time.  If money was no object then you would be looking at a 790 motherboard with 2 GX2 video cards in quad SLi & DDR3 memory  etc. but obviously very few people these days can afford the best of everything.

• HousamHousam Member Posts: 1,460

why do people ask obvious questions.
    like why would you not think a high end rig will play AOC

Well I was asking this because 4 years ago I thought I had an Everquest II capable PC, yet I had to return the game as I couldn't play it without constant stitches at medium. I just want to make sure now because I really want to play AoC, and been saving a lot lately to buy it.

I can't get quad SLI, extreme edition CPUs, etc., but I'm just taking suggestions on how I can improve my build so I know I'm getting good value. Again, thanks for the advice!

• OrcaOrca Member UncommonPosts: 629

Originally posted by Ecranomical
    You're going to need a 64 bit OS to run 4gb ram. The one you have there - as far as I can tell - is the regular 32 bit.

No, 32bit is limited to 4gb. You need 64bit if you want more than 4gb.

Futilez - Mature MMORPG Community

Correcting people since birth.

Originally posted by Orca

You're going to need a 64 bit OS to run 4gb ram. The one you have there - as far as I can tell - is the regular 32 bit.

Wrong!  32 bit OS says 4Gb but in reality you never get it, 3.5Gb maximum.  To run a full 4Gb you need a 64 Bit OS.

• peteski123peteski123 Member UncommonPosts: 447

for those that want to spend fortunes

I play conan with this

E6600 2.4 clocked to 3.4

2 gig ocz ram 6400

8800gtx

250 7200 sata

I run conan at 1650 rez all settings up high with 60 odd frames, dont spend loads of money on 4-8 gig of ram and such for 1 game that runs sweet on my rig unless your rich, I love graphics and believe me if I couldnt play at best I would be the first to buy a new rig

• eccotoneccoton Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    Originally posted by eric1000

Originally posted by Orca

Wrong!  32 bit OS says 4Gb but in reality you never get it, 3.5Gb maximum.  To run a full 4Gb you need a 64 Bit OS.

This is correct vista 32 only uses 3.5 gigs of your 4.

• TidermanTiderman Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 84

As mentioned above you need a 64bit OS, Vista if you want DX10 ( minimum Home Premium).   You could also fit faster memory with that motherboard.  As also mentioned above I would shop around a bit for lower prices.  As it stands that system would run AoC on medium settings fine I should think.
    Ive never had any trouble running DX10. Ive got Windows Vista Ultimate x86 version.

Lotro highest on everything, DX10 mode. Fury DX10 without problems, so 64bit OS is not needed.

The rig looks nice. Go for it!

• ProdudeProdude Member Posts: 353

Originally posted by Tiderman

Ive never had any trouble running DX10. Ive got Windows Vista Ultimate x86 version.

Lotro highest on everything, DX10 mode. Fury DX10 without problems, so 64bit OS is not needed.

The rig looks nice. Go for it!

Tiderman makes a good point.

DX10 is still an option not a requirement. Same for 4G of ram .

64bit OS is still not perfected at this time and is also not needed for any MMO at this time.

DDR3 is also being improved and a bit spendy compared to DDR2 which will more than handle the need.

• amunn1amunn1 Member Posts: 31

Looks good, congrats on your new pc :)

• mintormintor Member Posts: 61

dude hard drive sucks here get this drive http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136011   this rocks

your power supply  too low on 12 volt rails  ,   get this  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182069

souind  card sucks  , try this out .   http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102005

• lekizlekiz Member Posts: 171

mintor,

You know you can add all of that in one single post right? There is no need for multiple postings.

sorry