Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Don't Waste your Money

2»

Comments

• mbg1411mbg1411 Member UncommonPosts: 109

Dude maybe you just suck at gaming. Ever thought of that? Take your bitching else where

• LongGoneLongGone Member Posts: 12

you dont even use the frigging mouse nub try a game pad or ps2 controller, also learn spoke engrish good ok

• Larry2298Larry2298 Member Posts: 865

There are too many configurations to set up camera, probably just too many. X, Y Inversed something like that, and screen panning ...etc. I admit I am not spaceship scientist. After re-configured then my screen just totaly gone wild.

I went to AH yesterday trying to find something, and it surpise me. I never seen so simple AH for these years, and you call it auction house. 

Even F2P has much better auction house than FFXI. You should really take a look at LOTRO auction house. LOTRO probably the best aution house in any game.

Browse on auction is no fun at all, there is no BO but only BID option, and you can't search anything, you don't see items like WOW or LOTRO or some F2P.  

• SquirlmasterSquirlmaster Member Posts: 57
    Originally posted by Larry2298

There are too many configurations to set up camera, probably just too many. X, Y Inversed something like that, and screen panning ...etc. I admit I am not spaceship scientist. After re-configured then my screen just totaly gone wild.
    I went to AH yesterday trying to find something, and it surpise me. I never seen so simple AH for these years, and you call it auction house. 
    Even F2P has much better auction house than FFXI. You should really take a look at LOTRO auction house. LOTRO probably the best aution house in any game.
    Browse on auction is no fun at all, there is no BO but only BID option, and you can't search anything, you don't see items like WOW or LOTRO or some F2P.  

hmm that's interesting, an auction with only a bid option? damn japanese screwing up....

/sarcasm off

I find it ironic you are still playing a game you supposedly hate. Now stop trolling, if you don't like it just don't play.

/thread

currently playing: FFXI
    Waiting for FFXIV to be updated more.

Originally posted by Squirlmaster

hmm that's interesting, an auction with only a bid option? damn japanese screwing up....

/sarcasm off

I find it ironic you are still playing a game you supposedly hate. Now stop trolling, if you don't like it just don't play.

/thread

Currently, I am still struggling to play this game least for 30 days free because I bought the 2008 European Edition mistakenly. It seems hopeless because the game force you to do crafting and it is really pain in the arse to buy armors/weapons from AH. So I only increase skill level to counter balance my poor lv1 weapons and armors. Now I am level 10 with AXE lv 33, Evasion 30, Parry 22, Sword 28, Hand to Hand 20. It helps a little bit but If I had proper armors/weapons then I may owned the mobs instead of at higher levels.

I discovered many  tricky things in this game as I think they are common features for all Japanese games. Crafting is how most of Japanese uses for their major income, The crafting definitely cross other field so you may want to create another character, and it will cost you EURO 12,50 for each additional character. Too bad, the game do not even have FOLLOW mode, otherwise, I may play 2 characters at same time from 2 computers.

One thing, if you take any quest then your character is locked into certain status, the gameplay change from that moment. I suspect one of the changes is not just more difficulties but timer. You may need to spend certain time to get the drop. Noted that the quest is not able to cancel so if you don't complete the quest then your gameplay is forever locked into such status.

The mobs do not have level information so they could have lv 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10.... but you won't able to tell. Each type of mob have several spells or skills, maybe 3-5, and their power increased if you getting stronger within their level range. For example, their spells last longer or other mobs nearby will join the battle because your agro range expanded. Since the combat scene works in the BLACK BOX, so the combat odds is crappy. For example, during the combat, the game may added certain consumed features such as your strength getting weaker things like that. 

Anyway, I hope Japanese game companies could delivered better quality in the future for fair play.

• snipergsniperg Member Posts: 863

Originally posted by Squirlmaster

/sarcasm off

/thread

Currently, I am still struggling to play this game least for 30 days free because I bought the 2008 European Edition mistakenly. It seems hopeless because the game force you to do crafting and it is really pain in the arse to buy armors/weapons from AH. So I only increase skill level to counter balance my poor lv1 weapons and armors. Now I am level 10 with AXE lv 33, Evasion 30, Parry 22, Sword 28, Hand to Hand 20. It helps a little bit but If I had proper armors/weapons then I may owned the mobs instead of at higher levels.

I discovered many  tricky things in this game as I think they are common features for all Japanese games. Crafting is how most of Japanese uses for their major income, The crafting definitely cross other field so you may want to create another character, and it will cost you EURO 12,50 for each additional character. Too bad, the game do not even have FOLLOW mode, otherwise, I may play 2 characters at same time from 2 computers.

It costs 1 euro for each additional character and they are used mainly for storage  and gardening if you are into it.  Really it doesn't have a /follow option? Seriously someone should print a paper with the game commands and distribute it along with the dvd of the game. I wonder why they don't do it? *sarcasm off*

One thing, if you take any quest then your character is locked into certain status, the gameplay change from that moment. I suspect one of the changes is not just more difficulties but timer. You may need to spend certain time to get the drop. Noted that the quest is not able to cancel so if you don't complete the quest then your gameplay is forever locked into such status.

Some quests need certain drops, others don't. The game has a variety of them. Really check them out.

The mobs do not have level information so they could have lv 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10.... but you won't able to tell. Each type of mob have several spells or skills, maybe 3-5, and their power increased if you getting stronger within their level range. For example, their spells last longer or other mobs nearby will join the battle because your agro range expanded. Since the combat scene works in the BLACK BOX, so the combat odds is crappy. For example, during the combat, the game may added certain consumed features such as your strength getting weaker things like that. 

It's called "CHECK" function. If something says "incredibly tough, high defense, high evasion' then yeah it's much higher than you.  Seriously where do you get your data?:P

Anyway, I hope Japanese game companies could delivered better quality in the future for fair play.

Yeah I mean the lazy, clueless and unwilling to learn people have to play something.

A friend is not him who provides support during your failures.A friend is the one that cheers you during your successes.

OK, I tried to purchase content ID and I found it cost 1 EURO than 12,50. I have seen EURO 12,50 somewhere when I registered the game. Sorry for my bad.

There is no FOLLOW mode. When you click on other player only Trade, Chat, Check things like that.

There is no world map, not even a complete city map but only partial map at your present location.

The combat is locked in a combat scene but if there are other mobs joined during the combat, the game may not added as target so after you kill the first mob, your character sheath the weapon while the other mob still attacking you. So you need to select the target and draw out weapon, your character needs 2 seconds to draw weapon. If you are fighting challengable mobs the chance to survive is doom.

• Calintz333Calintz333 Member UncommonPosts: 1,193

I played this game for 4 years, I got level 75 DRG level 75 WHM level 75 WAR, I finished CoP and Zilarth and alot of Treasures. I think this game sucks. But I still come back to it for a few months a year.

Why? Cuz its nostalgic, and the work you put into it makes you come back to remember the good times, So much work is put into it that it makes you enjoy it and feel all that more acomplished when you get something done. I think this game does suck compared to the mmorpgs out there today, In almost every way its a lesser game, However Just like the people who get into the dumb free 2 play korean grind fests, We worked our butts off getting stuff in this game, so now we try to defend it, Ill be honest I cant ever quit FFXI 100% but I can sure as hell find a better game than it if i look for 30 seconds.

Originally posted by Calintz333

I played this game for 4 years, I got level 75 DRG level 75 WHM level 75 WAR, I finished CoP and Zilarth and alot of Treasures. I think this game sucks. But I still come back to it for a few months a year.

Why? Cuz its nostalgic, and the work you put into it makes you come back to remember the good times, So much work is put into it that it makes you enjoy it and feel all that more acomplished when you get something done. I think this game does suck compared to the mmorpgs out there today, In almost every way its a lesser game, However Just like the people who get into the dumb free 2 play korean grind fests, We worked our butts off getting stuff in this game, so now we try to defend it, Ill be honest I cant ever quit FFXI 100% but I can sure as hell find a better game than it if i look for 30 seconds.

I guess lot of people stay in a game under such situation. There are many people like this in LOTRO but they are lifetime subscribers so they are free play as long as the game exist. That's also why any guild got their own unique and formal website, and friendly. Without those paid customers, they may not have new content added fast enough.

Back to FFXI, I wish SE could renovate the old auction house because it is not efficient to sell and buy because no buy out function. I just grinded more than 100 crystals in these two days but the auction house is too slow to help. Especially the economics in this game is heavily based between players and players.  

Hopefully, some old players will response to SE not just for new expansion but consider to attract new customer to join and respect their opinion as well. 

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

WoW that was the most retarded Troll bait I have ever read.

Here i'll do the same GO BACK TO WOW!

have a nice day

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• DaggitDaggit Member Posts: 16

This game, like no other I've played, has a total polar opposite fanbase.

You will either "get it" and fall in love with the game right off the cutscene.

Or, you will simply hate it after your first 10 levels, if you make it that far. Then go to your favorite website and post about how bad it is.

The catch is, we dont care either way.

Im content with you not liking FFxi, and Im not going to waste my time trying to walk you through the game, or convince you to like it.

The good endgame LS's are crowded enough anyways. We dont need you.

• Calintz333Calintz333 Member UncommonPosts: 1,193
    Originally posted by Daggit

Or, you will simply hate it after your first 10 levels, if you make it that far. Then go to your favorite website and post about how bad it is.
    Im content with you not liking FFxi, and Im not going to waste my time trying to walk you through the game, or convince you to like it.

Im going to agree with everything you said except the last part, Maybe you don't need him but to be honest FFXI is a dying game, And its loosing players fast. Seraph server, my current server has around 1400-1600 players PEEK times U.S and about 2100-2300 PEEK times JP, Even with this new system to find parties at any place at any level, the level synic, It often takes up to 1 hour to find a tank. End game wise, Most of the good HNMLS  in Seraph are in lack of players right now. Because So many people are seasonal players like me (only  come back on big updates or expansions) not many want to do Regular HNM hunts or gods. 1/2 of my HNMLS never does anything anymore, (I am part of it)  because they simply grew bored of it, They are focusing on the story and finishing WoTG. I belive we need as many players as we can get on seraph.

I however do agree, this is the kind of game you love or hate and you know that after your first 15 levels or so. I personally hated it, but had plenty of motivation (it was also my First serious attempt at a MMORPG) so To me it was something special even though I was not fond of most of the game play aspects. My motivation was Armor, frineds, and mostly...Armor..hahaha I love how AF and AF2 looked so that motivated me, once I got my AF and AF2, I stopped playing seriously and became a seasonal player.

• CyntheCynthe Member UncommonPosts: 1,414

OK, I tried to purchase content ID and I found it cost 1 EURO than 12,50. I have seen EURO 12,50 somewhere when I registered the game. Sorry for my bad.
    There is no FOLLOW mode. When you click on other player only Trade, Chat, Check things like that.
    There is no world map, not even a complete city map but only partial map at your present location.
    The combat is locked in a combat scene but if there are other mobs joined during the combat, the game may not added as target so after you kill the first mob, your character sheath the weapon while the other mob still attacking you. So you need to select the target and draw out weapon, your character needs 2 seconds to draw weapon. If you are fighting challengable mobs the chance to survive is doom.

What are you smoking? The 12.50 is your monthly fee and counts for one character, if you want extra characters you pay an extra dollar.

There IS a follow mode: /t follow

There IS a world map under conquests on your main menu..... It's not as detailed as newer games, but it's there. FFXI maps has one thing many games lack, flags you can name and put anywhere...

You need to understand how mobs work in the game, not all monsters link but many of the same kind do link. And you can change your target, I forget the key for it but there IS one. You should never engage a challenging mob if there is a chance it will link, and you should always be prepared.

These are not flaws they are just what makes FFXI very different from other games, you actually need to think, and let me tell you all the monsters in the game have a strategy you just need to figure out, it's not just smash smash and I win.

To the OP who said not everything SE does is not gold, I just have to laugh. As said already this game is OLD, it's almost as old as EQ except it has aged FAR better. It's actually quite amazing how well it has done especially since WoW overtook the market and changed our expectations of MMOs. You have to realize that the way this game plays was once the STANDARD. Once dubbed as the asian EQ, or EQ 2.0.... 

This game won't get a whole lot of new players over the next years and it is declining, however I think it won't die as long as SE supports it, there will be a player base to support it for a long, long time yet. But people who want to try have to understand that this game is vintage MMO, which is either a very good thing or a very bad thing depending on what kind of player you are. :)

(,,,)=^__^=(,,,)

• grimbojgrimboj Member Posts: 2,102

If you can really psyche yourself up for the rewards of end-game then I guess you could enjoy this game but I got bored at level 5...

This game has been in every bargain bin around here for $2 for about 6 months.

--
    Note: PlayNC will refuse to allow you access to your account if you forget your password and can't provide a scanned image of the product key for the first product you purchased..... LOL

• DeadlyJamesDeadlyJames Member Posts: 64

yay... if your taking about there FFXI  base game without anything then yes it is, I think of it like a trial too make sure you like the game before spending a lot of money on it. and as far as the grinding no as long as you are lvl 10 just start running too the dunes and get a group, theres a lot of people that will take you. your best beat is poping up the lfp and wait outside the area where you can just wast time killing and bam you got a group. I am not a Final Fantasy Fanatic but this game is great because you have too think and not attack blindly at everything that moves but hey the game is not for everyone and I hope you find a game that works for your needs.

Since good game takes ages to release so gamer sometimes needs to enjoy the Pain Of the Game. F2P are not painful enough because you quit to escape. 

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564
    Originally posted by Calintz333

Originally posted by Daggit

Im going to agree with everything you said except the last part, Maybe you don't need him but to be honest FFXI is a dying game, And its loosing players fast.

People have been saying this for years: "FFXI is dying". Yet, year after year, SE's "Vana'diel Census" shows that its population stays around the 500k subscriber mark... and they further break it down by race, sex, jobs played, which Nation people are aligned with, etc. etc.

It's not a "dying game". And it's not "dying fast".

The community continues to expand, SE continues to support the game with new content and updates. They host events like Fan Fest, Premiere Website Summit, and so forth. They are still aggressively hunting down RMT (which could also account for the drop in populations as they ban them by the 10s of thousands usually).

Worry not. FFXI is *far* from dying.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• OlroxOlrox Member Posts: 46

He said "sucky parts"... I think that right there is enough to totally discredit anything he has to say.

• BahtSeksBahtSeks Member Posts: 11

The Lack of noobs to party with in the dunes isn't exactly a bad thing for the game.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by BahtSeks

The Lack of noobs to party with in the dunes isn't exactly a bad thing for the game.

If you mean "noobs" in the sense of people stupid people then I agree.  But if you mean "noobs" in the sense of new people coming to game for first time then it is a very bad thing.  As the veterans leave the game you need new blood to replace them to keep the game alive and kicking.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• Cochran1Cochran1 Member Posts: 456

FFXI is a good game I played for a year and a half. 3hrs sounds about right, it takes a while sometimes to get a party, but I have heard that it's really hard to get a party playing certain classes.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by Xero_Chance

If the game sucks from level 1-15, the game just sucks. A good game is not supposed to have ANY sucky parts, and this one has a big sucky chunk.
    You only say it sucks because all you did was level. I know I did other stuff when I started out. It took me like two weeks to solo to level 12.  There is a difference between slow and sucks. Heck, it's not even really that slow. I took it slow myself.

There's truth in that sentiment in general (not specifically about that post). As it is, the comment being replied to is very generalized and, at best, subjective...

As far as getting "sucky parties". I've gotten sucky parties in every MMO I've played. I've gotten great parties in every MMO I've played. Nothing new or damning there.

But anyway...

Sooo many times, in numerous MMOs, when I hear people complaining about how the game is nothing but a level grind, I'll ask them "well what do you spend your time doing?"

And... you'll never guess what their answer usually is... Ready?

They're spending most of their time grinding levels. Incredible, right? Who'd-a-thunk it?

As has been said with many things in life... In MMOs you get out what you put in. If all you're doing is grinding levels, the game is going to be nothing but a level grind.

Now, I won't say leveling isn't a grind... It is in FFXI as it is in any game. You're doing something repetitively to gradually improve... it's a grind.

Thing is, in FFXI there are *so* many things to do that for someone to spend their time doing nothing but grinding away just to burn out is missing a majority of what the game offers.

I've gone a week or longer without gaining a single xp point. I was doing any number of other things, and enjoyed every minute.

Here's another way of looking at it. There are people playing FFXI now for 4, 5 even 6 years. They're still playing. Still enjoying it. If the game was nothing but a level grind, they'd have capped every job in the game long ago, especially with the gradual increase in xp and alternative ways of getting xp (campaign, besieged, etc) that SE has introduced.

Yet... they're still playing. They don't have every job to 75 and they're still enjoying themselves.

Again... if all you're doing is grinding levels... then that's all you're gonna get out of it. It's not the game's fault. It's yours.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• NefthisNefthis Member Posts: 2

Here's another way of looking at it. There are people playing FFXI now for 4, 5 even 6 years. They're still playing. Still enjoying it. If the game was nothing but a level grind, they'd have capped every job in the game long ago, especially with the gradual increase in xp and alternative ways of getting xp (campaign, besieged, etc) that SE has introduced.
    Yet... they're still playing. They don't have every job to 75 and they're still enjoying themselves.

Again... if all you're doing is grinding levels... then that's all you're gonna get out of it. It's not the game's fault. It's yours.

/clap /clap /clap

I'm a mithra Thief 75 / Ninja 37. It's my first lv75

I'm a FFXI's gamer since 2004

I tried to play Vanguard, Age of Conan, Perfect World, Archlord, .... but always i come back to FFXI. Actuallity It's the best game  for me

Sorry for my english....

• konrad16660konrad16660 Member Posts: 182

I just started FFXI 10 days ago.  i had only played it a week or so around launch and I have to say that I am loving it.  The community is completely awesome and helpful.   I have played a lot of mmo's but this community is the nicest I have ever found and you don't have people jumping online and being vulgar!  Two thumbs way up!