Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Play WOW?

xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

This is not a troll post so please do not take it as such.

I started playing WOW about 2 years and 8 months ago. I have not played in about 3 months. Often I see people come here and "flame" WOW players. Often with"This game is easy" or Its so simple a 8 year old could play it. I am not one who agrees with that. My first MMORPG was Everquest back in 1998. I have traveled from that first to SWG,DAOC,Anarchy Online. In all of my experience none have been more demanding on my time than WOW ever. Well EQ is a distant second.

I have a hard time understanding players saying WOW is easy. I had 3 different accounts. I sold all 3 eventually. I belonged to a very good guild www.lobsterbrood.com/

My best friends were a rogue named Sithe, who later changed his name after learning from me how to play a druid to "Alamo". My other best friend is a guy named Grukan Best tank I have ever seen..EVER.. I miss them both greatly. But thats that.

Now to my views. Leveling in WOW really is easy. But that is only part of the equation. The other part is getting the keys, gear and unlocks you need for endgame. WOW has by far the best end-game content of any game.

The time necessary to get that upper echelon gear is very consuming. So when I watch a noob from my view telling me how easy it is to get to 70 I can only laugh.

I quit WOW for good as I am married, have kids, burnt out and no longer have the time required for such a commitment. Do not think I would not enjoy playing this game. It is probably still the best game on the market. I am burnt out. But who would not be!

So to you new players. It is fun, its worth the price, and will make for some very fun days. Keep in mind time,it passes quickly. Also make sure you have your "REAL LIFE" commitments going before WOW. I have watched friends get divorced, lose jobs, and throw a life away for this game. Do not let it be YOU!

I wish you the best! In-game and out! May you have a fulfilling experience in the world of Azeroth!

Sincerely xpowderx A.K.A Sylphia<shhhhhh>

Comments

• AseenusAseenus Member UncommonPosts: 1,844

people just say wows easy because they hear its easy from other people and the only reason they hear its easy is coz they hear its easy from other people.. the chain just continues

• RecantRecant Member UncommonPosts: 1,586

Well I played Everquest too, from Kunark to Omens of War, and that is a game many consider hardcore PvE.  I lead raids in a guild that was usually 2nd or 3rd on our server, and we normallly completed the content before the next expansion (except for GoD of course).

And I don't find WoW any less challenging than Everquest was.  WoW is easier to play, but that doesn't make it a less challenging game.  People are getting accessibility and streamlined design confused with challenge. 

I remember beating Coirnav when that was current.  It was challenging - an underwater fight, with adds, several waves of dozens of mobs that had to be burned down, and then an all out nuke-it-out at the end if you were still alive. 

And I'm reminded of that fight when fighting Kael'thas in Magisters Terrance in WoW.  It's a 5 man instance but the challenge is pretty much identical - you need to handle the phoenix add which must be kited and killed (similar to Coirnavs adds), there are several phases to the fight, then you get the 'anti gravity' bit where you have to avoid all the orbs which can kill you outright.

It's the same.  Actually as a healer it's even harder because what Everquest made healers do is stand still.  They had to stand still to cast Complete heal.  The movement code in Everquest SUCKED, because if you cast just after you moved, sometimes the spell would fail.   EQ had a lot of emergency spells that WoW simply doesn't have - Clerics got Divine Arbitration - twice with their epic 2.0 - you don't get that in WoW.   So in some ways, healing in WoW is more difficult than EQ.

Tanks in EQ had a much easier time with aggro than WoW too.  Seems so much easier for DPS to overaggro in WoW - though of course you can measure threat easier so it balances out.

I simply don't buy that WoW is an easy game.  It's very similar in challenge to EQ, and compared to laughable games like EQ2 and LOTRO, to call it easy is simply untrue.

The speed of which you level isn't challenge, it just determines how many times you have to kill mobs of a certain level before you progress to mobs of a higher level. 

And when people say WoW PvP is easy, this is another nonsense statement.  You're playing against other people, if they're better players than you are, it's not easy.   Sure, if you have better gear than they do, then it's easier, but what if it's the other way around?  And what about when you've gained a full PvP set, what then - a better player will beat you.

WoW is as challenging as any other MMORPG.  Some people will refuse to accept this, or spam stupid laughing messages, but they will never be able to provide a decent argument against it, or at most a very flimsy one.

Still waiting for your Holy Grail MMORPG? Interesting...

• Sparkie24Sparkie24 Member Posts: 14

Originally posted by Aseenus

people just say wows easy because they hear its easy from other people and the only reason they hear its easy is coz they hear its easy from other people.. the chain just continues

And there are people who play the game for about an our en then say it's easy . doh every game is easy in the beginning (well almost). But the thing is Wow is very time consuming. allot of players don't want to invest that much of time in it en then say the game is crap...

offcourse there is the thing of paying every month but i'm not going to start about that.. that's something you choose for or not.

• rabidmonkeyrabidmonkey Member UncommonPosts: 12

i play wow but i must say its a little easier than other mmo's for example Lineage II.  But wow is still a high caliber game.

• LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701

I agree WoW is very easy to play but End Game is hard and very time consuming which is why i ended up selling 2 accounts one Pre-BC and another about 10 months ago. I would much rather spend time with my nieces and family then sit down a few nights to raid for gear that really does nothing for me.

• TheGreyManTheGreyMan Member Posts: 325

wow is easy. thats why people like it.

• safwdsafwd Member Posts: 879

I am one of those people who often say that WoW is easy.

But i have never said that end game WoW is easy.

Getting from LVL 1 to 50 in WoW is the easiest that i have seen in any game that i have played, and i have played more then a few of them. And by easy i mean, there is no challenge what so ever. It is VERY difficult to die in WoW other then in dungeons (especially if you are a Hunter). There is no fear of dying in WoW so you end up doing stupid stuff just because you can, i even found myself doing this. And by stupid i mean things like :

Hmm, wonder what is in that cave over there, guess i will run in and find out. I never did things like this in EQ because i really didnt want to die. I may sneak into a cave and see if i can see whats up but i definetly didnt just run in. Also i found myself running into lvl 50 zones with lvl 20 chars just because i wanted to see what the zone looked like.

Every class can completely solo from 1 to endgame, that in itself defines easy.

True the end game is not easy in WoW, it does take some time and effort. But i find it to be an incredibly stupid concept to have your first 50 levels to be speed leveling crap just so you can get to endgame where the real game starts. But alot of people dont.

WoW brought some good things to the table. The ease of leveling from 1-50 was not one of them. Why would you make a game that requires little to no player interaction for the first 50 levels only to turn into a raid game that requires player interaction when you get to the end?

• Jerid13Jerid13 Member Posts: 465

The reason why people say WoW is easy is because it IS in fact easy.  Back up my statement you say?

Lets compare                                 WoW                     Final Fantasy  XI        DAOC or EQ

soloable to max level?                   yes                           Heck no!                 not really

Quests give exp?                            Yes                          Heck no!                  Yes

Money is easily obtainable?        Yes                          Heck no!                  Yes

You lose exp when you die?          NO                             Yes!                       Yes!

"Rested"  double Exp gained?      YES                            No                           No

Easy to use interface?                    Very                      not at first                   Yes

Easy to start a new character?     Very!                      NOT AT ALL!             kinda?

Difficult Endgame?                          Yes                            VERY                     Yes

Repair costs/ Durability?                Yes                               No                        Yes

What makes WoW  "Easy"  is its Easy to use interface, its easy to use Auction house system which in its VERY NATURE discourages Gold seller price setting (a HUGE problem on FFXI)  and the ease at which you can solo/quest all the way to level 70.  Money is easy to obtain in WoW as well.

While I was playing they even made leveling to 70 Easier!

In a game where a class called "Priest" can solo to 70, THATS easy.

• At this point in time you may as well save your money and wait until the expansion to come back. In all honesty with the current model Blizzard has set up for WoW they just don't care about previous progress. All lvl 78 gear will most likely replace the tier6 people are moaning and complaining so much about in the current arena system.

They have made the game a newb loving carebearing hugging hippy fest that becomes easier with each expansion, so don't waist your cash till atleast wotlk.

• ThunderousThunderous Member Posts: 1,152

How is WoW NOT easy?

That is the reason for its success...  Everyone can play it and play it well.  It doesn't require any skill, quit kidding yourselves.

I hit level 30 in a couple of days of leisurely play.  The combat is simple, the UI is nice, the quests are easy, the game is custom-built for 8 year olds, women who aren't used to playing online games, and the general gamer...

To me, that is the strength of the game.  It's easy.  It shouldn't be an insult to Blizzard but don't kid yourself and think this game is challenging.  Pre-CU SWG, EVE, the original UO, those were challenging games that required thinking.

WoW is just fine how it is.

Tecmo Bowl.

• Tidwell32Tidwell32 Member UncommonPosts: 36

.... seriously? your main argument against WoW's difficulty is the time it requires... thats because its 100% item/level based. a blind preteen lvl 70 could take a college student at lvl 65. the end.. the game is retarded, requires no skill and no life. i would go as far to say that WoW is easier then pokemon yellow for the gameboy color, and less fun at that.

my routine to get to 60 when i played:

right click monster

press 3-wait a sec-press 2-wait a sec-press 1

sit back and watch and/or head downstairs to grab a drink

loot

...woah astonishing

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

I can't believe I am actually defending WoW, but I am, who'd have guessed.   Yes, WoW is easy.  It is easy to learn and to get into and very addictive.   It is also, a very polished and well thought out game.  I have played them all and I vowed I'd never play WoW after my first free month of the game back when it went live yet here I am having a blast in a game that I vowed I'd never to play because I too thought it was to easy.   I prefer games like SWG - preNGE and Asheron's Call and Vanguard, yet all those games could learn alot about what makes a game good and most of all FUN!

OMG I haven't had this much fun in a game since Planetside.  Love my little Blood Elf Huntress.  She rocks and I am thoroughly enjoying WoW and after paying Vanguard and so many other unpolished and buggy  games I can really appreciate the game that is WoW.   Game just plain rocks!

• Originally posted by Teala

I can't believe I am actually defending WoW, but I am, who'd have guessed.   Yes, WoW is easy.  It is easy to learn and to get into and very addictive.   It is also, a very polished and well thought out game.  I have played them all and I vowed I'd never play WoW after my first free month of the game back when it went live yet here I am having a blast in a game that I vowed I'd never to play because I too thought it was to easy.   I prefer games like SWG - preNGE and Asheron's Call and Vanguard, yet all those games could learn alot about what makes a game good and most of all FUN!
    OMG I haven't had this much fun in a game since Planetside.  Love my little Blood Elf Huntress.  She rocks and I am thoroughly enjoying WoW and after paying Vanguard and so many other unpolished and buggy  games I can really appreciate the game that is WoW.   Game just plain rocks!

Carebear much? What you said contradicts itself completely. I will probly get banned or warned for this post, but in all reality why make broad sweeping statements such as I would never. I vowed to not etc... then going on and continuing to say you enjoy the game for the exact reason people complain about the game. The video game is very easy, has little to no skill at all required. If anything it is more about knowing timing and that is about it.

Reason why WoW is polished? It has no new or original ideas of its own. They won't develop new ideas either due to them being far to afraid of upsetting the masses. It is simply a circle of stealing other peoples ideas and putting it in their own game. The unfortunate truth behind WoW.

Originally posted by namelessbob

Originally posted by Teala

Carebear much? What you said contradicts itself completely. I will probly get banned or warned for this post, but in all reality why make broad sweeping statements such as I would never. I vowed to not etc... then going on and continuing to say you enjoy the game for the exact reason people complain about the game. The video game is very easy, has little to no skill at all required. If anything it is more about knowing timing and that is about it.

Reason why WoW is polished? It has no new or original ideas of its own. They won't develop new ideas either due to them being far to afraid of upsetting the masses. It is simply a circle of stealing other peoples ideas and putting it in their own game. The unfortunate truth behind WoW.

Carebear?  Me?  LMAO!  Whatever...

Where do I contradict myself?  I said I use to say I'd never play WoW.   Gee I changed my mind after playing and putting up with POS games the last few years....WoW is refreshing and at least it is a polished product unlike other games.   Has little to no skill...just like any frakking other MMORPG I have ever played.  MMORPG's do not take skill...at least not since Asheron's Call...it took some skill to get good in the PvP part of the game, but even it was easy after you learn how to play.   Even FPS games get easier once you've played them for a bit.

You gave your opinion on WoW being polished.    Stealing other peoples ideas and putting it into their own game.   OK.  So tell me what MMORPG has not followed the same basic game mechanics of  kill things, level up, to kill more powerful things.   Only two or three MMORPG's I know that were pretty original in that area and that was Planetside and Tale in Desert.  

WoW may not be a sandbox game and it might be overly simplified and its graphics may not be what some people like...but it is a good game and it is a fun game and it is a polished game.  Not to many other games can say that. 

BTW namelessbob...after thinking on it for a couple of more minutes I have come to the conclusion that you are clueless to what "carebear" means and what context to place it in.  Because for the life of me I do not understand your "carebear much" comment.   So do you even know what carebear means and what context it is use?

• iZakaroNiZakaroN Member UncommonPosts: 719

Originally posted by Aseenus

Have played WoW for more than year (1 month in beta, 1 month after relase, nearly 1 year after TBC). Have played desc/holy priest as one of the most fun classes. Got my 3v3 team to 14 position in Arena. Get up to SSC, VR. Have not finished entire raid content but at least I can say "I know what WoW is". Also I have played many other mmo last 10 years and can say WoW is not just easy. Even high end raid content is very hard. On other side leveling to 70 is realy easy, but even that can be challenging if you want to make it. Not thats the problem ppls complaining about WoW. The biggest problem of WoW is that he is very linear and predefined - this is especialy right about TBC. That is the easiest part of WoW. Thats the main reason when ppls complain about WoW. Thats the reason I do not like WoW.  Thats the reason why most of ppls like WoW and why there are so many subscriptions. I personly think that that WoW is great game if you want just to play something, but he is very weak if you expect real and deep RP and MMO. Just my opinion nothing else.

GL & HF.

Where themepark games try to hide that they are copying WOW, games like Mortal Online and Darkfall make no attempt to hide their inspiration
    ______\m/_____
    LordOfDarkDesire
  • LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701

I would rather struggle leveling my new character on FFXI then go back to playing WoW. FFXI is alot harder to play then WoW but isn't that what alot of MMO players want? You don't have half the people running around with god like gear.

• Pappy13Pappy13 Member Posts: 2,138

Chess is an easy game to play too.  There aren't really all that many rules.  Each piece only has a very finite set of moves it can make.  And yet it's considered one of the most complex and strategic games ever conceived and many people are devoted fans.  Why?  Because although each piece only has a very small number of moves, you can combine the moves in an almost infinite number of ways and every move you make can be countered by all the possible moves your opponent can make.

You can teach the game to someone in probably a day and even though a grand master has to play by the exact same set of rules as the person you just taught, the person you just taught how to play doesn't stand a chance in hell of beating the grand master.  The number of moves that each piece can make aren't what make a game complex, it's the players involved that make it simple or complex.

Ever play speed chess?  WoW is a little like playing speed chess in that you don't have a lot of time to scutinize every single move your opponent can make, weigh all the possible outcomes and plan your moves 10 moves deep, there simply isn't enough time for that.  It's all happening on the fly.  The person who is able to more quickly read and react to his opponent is the one who will win.  The difference is that chess is played on an even playing field.  The pieces have the exact same value for both players.  In WoW, you decide the relative strength of your piece and you can gain an advantage on your opponent such that your piece is just plain better than his piece.  But that just adds another element of depth to the game.  It doesn't change the fact that someone with a weaker piece can still beat someone with a stronger piece by simply out playing him.

Simple or complex is not decided by the game, but by the players playing.

• lareslocilaresloci Member UncommonPosts: 373

Originally posted by Pappy13

Chess is an easy game to play too.  There aren't really all that many rules.  Each piece only has a very finite set of moves it can make.  And yet it's considered one of the most complex and strategic games ever conceived and many people are devoted fans.  Why?  Because although each piece only has a very small number of moves, you can combine the moves in an almost infinite number of ways and every move you make can be countered by all the possible moves your opponent can make.
    You can teach the game to someone in probably a day and even though a grand master has to play by the exact same set of rules as the person you just taught, the person you just taught how to play doesn't stand a chance in hell of beating the grand master.  The number of moves that each piece can make aren't what make a game complex, it's the players involved that make it simple or complex.
    Ever play speed chess?  WoW is a little like playing speed chess in that you don't have a lot of time to scutinize every single move your opponent can make, weigh all the possible outcomes and plan your moves 10 moves deep, there simply isn't enough time for that.  It's all happening on the fly.  The person who is able to more quickly read and react to his opponent is the one who will win.  The difference is that chess is played on an even playing field.  The pieces have the exact same value for both players.  In WoW, you decide the relative strength of your piece and you can gain an advantage on your opponent such that your piece is just plain better than his piece.  But that just adds another element of depth to the game.  It doesn't change the fact that someone with a weaker piece can still beat someone with a stronger piece by simply out playing him.
    Simple or complex is not decided by the game, but by the players playing.

Probably one of the best posts I've read so far on any of these boards....

Why is it that, as a culture, we are more comfortable seeing two men holding guns than holding hands? ~Ernest Gaines