Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who is the greatest athlete ever?

2»

Comments

• Par-SalianPar-Salian Member Posts: 284

I was surprised that I did not see the name "Joe Montana" up there.  It won't be long until people are saying "Tim Tebow".

• ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202

Originally posted by Par-Salian

I was surprised that I did not see the name "Joe Montana" up there.  It won't be long until people are saying "Tim Tebow".
    Tebow? Please i believe he is over rated. Youngest heisman my ass. The only reason Adrian didnt get it was becuase he was a freshman. McFadden wasnt even close to the stats Adrian had his freshman year yet he was a huge contender for it this year.

id have to say Jordan is the greatest of all time 6 NBA champs would have been 8 had he not taken a  break. Also as far as endorsments he has Tiger beat big time.

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.
    And then Nebraska would get nerfed.-pinkwood lotro fourms

AMD 4800 2.4ghz-3GB RAM 533mhz-EVGA 9500GT 512mb-320gb HD

• ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202
    Originally posted by ceinwen

He might be overrated, but for me it's Michael Jordan.

6 NBA champs a NCAA champ game winning shot? I hardly call that over rated.

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.
    And then Nebraska would get nerfed.-pinkwood lotro fourms

AMD 4800 2.4ghz-3GB RAM 533mhz-EVGA 9500GT 512mb-320gb HD

• VampirVampir Member Posts: 4,239

probable that guy in africa hundreds of years ago who's sole job was to deliver messages to nearby villages in nothing but a loin cloth in 100 degree heat.

michael jordan, tony romo, anyone wouldn't last in the position for more then a day in these times.

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you''re one of the 2% who hasn''t, copy & paste this in your signature.

• ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662

Don't be.  Not to take anything away from Montana's accomplishments, but I have never considered him to be among the greatest athletes of all time.  If others disagree with me, that's fine.

As far as Michael Jordan goes, no question he was awesome, but I have to agree with Modjoe that his sixth championship is tainted.  Not only did he clearly push off on the winning basket (you can only see it from one particular camera angle that they rarely show, they almost always show the shot from behind where you can't see the push), but there was also a Chicago basket earlier that came after the shot clock expired that the refs allowed and a Jazz basket that came before the shot clock expired that the refs negated.  If any one of those plays is called correctly, the Jazz almost certainly win that game and the series goes to a decisive game 7.  But Jordan was such a huge star, he generated so much money for the NBA that he was clearly shown favoritism, maybe not consciously, but it was there.

And this is not a biased opinion.  There's no question that Chicago beat the Jazz in the '97 series.

• CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

Hercules.  How many legends have been written about the other guys.

Why no professional martial artists, like Chuck Norris, Bruce Lee, or that one Escrima User.

• DailyBuzzDailyBuzz Member Posts: 2,306

It's a lot different having a team to support you than being completely self-reliant for victory. Running backs need blockers, basketball players needs picks, hockey players need checks, and so on. Personally, I only see 4 options on that poll. The rest were the sum of their parts. This doesn't mean they couldn't best anyone else if they boiled it down to a 1v1, it's just that we don't know whether they could or not.

BTW, I saw Sister Madonna Buder on Real Sports a while back. She's pretty impressive.

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695

Wayne Gretzky holds sixty-one (61) NHL records.  Michael Jordan holds 18 NBA records.  Wilt Chamberlain holds 79 NBA records.  While I feel that hockey is like basketball on skates and with more violence, my personal choice would be a tie between Chamberlain and Gretzky.

• solmkassolmkas Member Posts: 34

Michael Jordan. No doubt

• Cabe2323Cabe2323 Member Posts: 2,939

Currently playing:
    LOTRO & WoW (not much WoW though because Mines of Moria rocks!!!!)

Looking Foward too:
    Bioware games (Dragon Age & Star Wars The Old Republic)

• TatumTatum Member Posts: 1,153

Sorry, but I have to agree: Tiger Woods is not an athlete.  The terms "athlete" and "sport" get thrown around WAY too much.  To me, a sport is a game that requires athletic ability.  Golf does not require athletic ability, just a shit load of skill.  Same with bowling or nascar or any number of games that are some how refered to as sports.

As far as "greatest athlete ever", I dont know how you could pick that one.  It would really depend on the criteria.  Is it some one that was the most dominant in their particular sport?  Or is it some one who was athletic enough to be good at almost any sport?  Tough call.

As far as Ali, I think he was definately the greatest heavy weight of all time, but I think most boxing fans would agree that Sugar Ray Robinson was the greatest pound for pound fighter of all time.  So, tough call there...

• ZeaShowZeaShow Member Posts: 1

Michael Jordan of course !! he is the best athlete in sports especially basketball forever till now!!  he is the biggest Star!

• bojinxbojinx Member Posts: 172

Bo Jackson if he didn't get hurt....

• Par-SalianPar-Salian Member Posts: 284

Originally posted by Arndur

Tebow? Please i believe he is over rated. Youngest heisman my ass. The only reason Adrian didnt get it was becuase he was a freshman. McFadden wasnt even close to the stats Adrian had his freshman year yet he was a huge contender for it this year.

Tebow is the only sophomore to EVER win the Heisman and it was his first year starting.  Also, Adrian plays in the Big 12, Tebow is in the SEC - huge difference. 

• LethalGator2LethalGator2 Member Posts: 1

The greatest athlete ever would have to be Jerry Rice! The reason I say this is because he has ever wide receiver record you can think of in regular and post season! Plus he has 5 super bowl rings!!! For a player to come out of a small college like Mississippi Valley State, he isn't just the greatest athlete. He is a legendary player!!