Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

edit mac pro now

ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202

Ok i figure after seeing all the mac pro expanison stuff i thinking ill go with that. How does adding ram work? Can i put any ram i want in their or do i have to pay for macs really expensive stuff. Right now im looking at this

1 2.8ghz xeon quad core

2Gb ram

320GB HD

8800 GT

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.
And then Nebraska would get nerfed.-pinkwood lotro fourms

AMD 4800 2.4ghz-3GB RAM 533mhz-EVGA 9500GT 512mb-320gb HD

Comments

• CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

You wanna use a laptop to render.  I think that there is the very problem.  You can't pump enough joice in a laptop to do any descent rendering.  My PC is pretty good, but still doesn't have enough juice for fast rendering.  I would say don't bother with a laptop.  Its not like you will ever be editing on the fly.  If you need a mobile device.  I would get a tabletPC.  Not only are they portable, but you can draw directly on the screen.

• ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202

Originally posted by CleffyII

You wanna use a laptop to render.  I think that there is the very problem.  You can't pump enough joice in a laptop to do any descent rendering.  My PC is pretty good, but still doesn't have enough juice for fast rendering.  I would say don't bother with a laptop.  Its not like you will ever be editing on the fly.  If you need a mobile device.  I would get a tabletPC.  Not only are they portable, but you can draw directly on the screen.
    Ok 1 remember requirements are different on macs then pc not as many useless programs running in the background. Also I want the programs that come with macs. It is not like i will be doing any hardcore rendering when i get to that point i will go with the mac pro.

for lightwave these are the basic requriments

System RAM: 512 MB minimum requirement, 1 GB recommended

Graphics Card: nVidia FX 5200 series (minimum)

ATIFireGL V 5100 (minimum)

Graphics support: Full OpenGL (OpenGL 2.0 support, or ARB_shading_language_100 OpenGL

extension in earlier versions, required to use GLSL features)

Driver: Latest from chipset manufacturer

Dedicated Video RAM: 64 MB per display minimum requirement, 128 MB recommended

Minimum Screen Resolution: 1024x768 minimum requirement, 1280x1024 recommended

Hard Drive Space: 230 MB for program installation (not including content)

Macintosh®:

• Operating System: Mac OS® X 10.3.9 Panther(TM)
    • Processor: PowerPC® G4 minimum requirement, G5 recommended

Id have to say that if they are that low then macbook should not have that long of rendering time.

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.

O.O I thought you wanted to use it for stuff like After Effects.  If you wanna render 3D, going with a laptop is kinda a no no.

Those system requirements are low.  Infact all system requirements on 3D software is considerably lower then the systems that utilize them.  However, just because you meet them doesn't mean you will render fast enough.  My usual 3D scenes on a system with 2 gigs ram and a workstation card is usually around 3 minutes per frame.  Just because Mac enthusiasts want you to believe macs are more powerful, they really aren't which is why most 3D development is done on the PC.  That aside, there is still no miracle that happens on macs that makes its rendering on laptops superior to a desktop.  Especially at a price point perspective.

Originally posted by CleffyII

O.O I thought you wanted to use it for stuff like After Effects.  If you wanna render 3D, going with a laptop is kinda a no no.
    Those system requirements are low.  Infact all system requirements on 3D software is considerably lower then the systems that utilize them.  However, just because you meet them doesn't mean you will render fast enough.  My usual 3D scenes on a system with 2 gigs ram and a workstation card is usually around 3 minutes per frame.  Just because Mac enthusiasts want you to believe macs are more powerful, they really aren't which is why most 3D development is done on the PC.  That aside, there is still no miracle that happens on macs that makes its rendering on laptops superior to a desktop.  Especially at a price point perspective.
    Well macs do run better as their is not as much crap getting opened that doesnt need to be.

What would you suggest for Lightwave type rendering stuff?

O.O its hard to suggest a mac.  The parts cost an arm and a leg.  Also for some strange reason the desktops cost more then the laptops even though fabricating laptop components is more expensive.  You can shut off background tasks.  Also an equivalently priced PC workstation will do laps around a mac because of how much juice you can throw at it due to how expensive macs are.  $500 for 4GB ram is highway robbery. 

However, off that speel.  What you want is a good processor on a machine that can run 24/7.  This is something a macbook can't do.  When you start to render animations that take 3 days to render 1 minute.  Using a macbook just isn't practical.  Ideally, I would say get a Mac Pro, but even the cheapest configuration is 2k.  If you go the PC route, then I would say wait 3 weeks.  You can run 3D aps through linux as well on a PC.  Linux will always run everything the fastest when pitted against windows or mac.

As far as the editing stuff goes like garage band or imovie does windows have anything that come close?

Also if i leave it pluged into a charger does that hurt the battery leaving it on 24/7?

• OrcaOrca Member UncommonPosts: 629

Originally posted by Arndur
    Also if i leave it pluged into a charger does that hurt the battery leaving it on 24/7?

Yes and no.

The old Lithium Batteties couldnt withstand the ongoing charging, but technology has greatly improved the life of batteries.

It does hurt the battery, but not as much as it used to.

Futilez - Mature MMORPG Community

Correcting people since birth.

• nikoliathnikoliath Member UncommonPosts: 1,154

Hmm, macbooks did suffer a rather appauling rate of HD failure, big style, to the point of total loss of data. A friend of mine just had this very issue on his macbook pro, he tells me they wanted it for 5 weeks to fix it.

I suggest you read up on it to make sure you avoid this potential issue.