Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I try this game?

sajrussajrus Member Posts: 12
I'v seen alot of flaming on Lineage II, but I'v also seen people who say they love it..
I heard it is lots of power levling and I guess I could live with that, I'v played Diablo 2.. =) And I like PvP. How is the game othervise, is there lots of skills, drops, quest etc..? Is it fun beside the power levling. Please serious answer, don't just flame if you tried it a day and didn't like the "type" of game.

Are there any alternatives DAoC, Horizons??

Thank you!

Comments

• BlooddrinkerBlooddrinker Member Posts: 12

i personally love it thou i wouldn't recomand 2 many people
    the quests have something 2 be desired thou
    i would recomand u do what i did
    before i got the game i brought the stragy guide and after reading it though i decied i wanted it
    the p2p is awsome at high lvl

• GamerV17GamerV17 Member Posts: 11

I personally played in the beta and couldnt stand the game. I probably only got to level 5ish so that could be part of it. I know some friends that have it now and love it. Higher levels are suppose to be a lot more fun, as the lower levels are just plain grind like crazy for hours on end.
    After my bad thoughts from the beta I am now reconsidering getting the game to give it a try again and see if i can get high enough to make it be fun.

GamerV17
    -MO-Torch in FPS Games

• kc2283kc2283 Member Posts: 7

I would suggest trying it, our whole guild left SWG to try it out, a lot of dissapointments along the way though, and the whole guild has left L2 for CoH. I however am thinking about returning till WoW comes out.

The cons of L2 are the lack of item variety, weapons and armor are so expensive as well it's like buying a house in real life, all your money goes to just one item then you have to start farming again for a very long time.

The biggest Con of L2 is the combat system in the sence that it is all one big equation. In L2 the creatures and players "never" well 99% of the time never miss their target. So a player knows exactly what the outcome of the battle will render down to a single HitPoint. Example: I leveled my Elven Oracle to 21 and the combat consisted of me Casting a spell, then running away till I got far enough away to cast another spell then turn tail and run again, that is the whole battle system for an Oracle or Wizard in PvE, very monotonous and boring and perhaps the main and only reason I left L2.

Even with a Fighter the equation is different but the same in a sence. A fighter with Sword X and Armor Y up against a Baruk Orc Champion will always hit with D amount of damage and get hit for P amount damage. They will know the outcome of the battle before it begins. (I am hoping this system will be tweaked with more variables, if it was then I would return no doubt)

The Pros: Well the graphics are spectacular, (although I was greatly disappointed in the character customization, which only gives you choices between a couple different faces to place on your certain race and profession. No height or build customizing either, the biggest customization is you can choose between around 7 Hair styles). Ok like I said the graphics are beautiful, the game runs so smooth, I hardly ever experience lag compared to other games such as AC2 and SWG.

Although I have not experienced Chronicles 1 that recently came out I have heard many good things about it, the thing that makes L2 so unique is the Castles seiges, If I decide to return I will have to get motivated about doing the boring PvE so I can participate in the great PvP and castle seiges in the game.

So I did play to level 21, I enjoyed my time, but it had some big problems IMO that I wasn't willing to stay for, a fun time but not worth sticking with in the long run.

• HebrewBombHebrewBomb Member UncommonPosts: 520

Here is what I'm NOT gonna say:

1. This game is geared for non-NA market. Such argument usually goes like this. "There is absolutely every reason why this game should not work in NA. We are not that hardcore"

2. That everyone should expect same thing from this game.

3. That when everyone speak about this game, they know what they are talking about (that includes me).

4. That it is 100% guaranteed that you won't hear one word of complain from the mouth of dedicated player.

Now here is what I'm going to say:

1. This game is phenomenal overall.

2. More than often this game generates intense emotional moment that will result dramatic change of your mood. Don't get me wrong. I'm not talking about "I-love-you-Do-you-love-me-too"  kind of moment but rather "Watch-me-how-I-make-things-straight-for-you"

3. That the combat in micro scale is deceptibly simple and no-brainer but very complex in macro scale. However I have to mention simple doesn't necessarily mean simpler.

In micro combat, the angle of attack affects the chance of attack's success (back-stabbing has 80% of success rate vs 20 % from front-stabbing). Also weapon like spear does AoE damage (all enemy within 90 degree of the direction you face) rather than one target dmg.

4. That you should think about group option at many level of your progress and especially in dead-end situation like chaos chased by pervasive chaos hunters.

5. That you will never have shortage of whinners, KSers, You-GOers, Facists, Preachers, I-quitters, I'm-noob-give-me-money'ers, Why-do-you-hit-me'ers, farmers of all kinds.

Farmers are L2's invention. Never been used so widely as they were in this game.

6. If you like having desert after dinner, there are things called mini-games after holocaust in many area scattered around the map. I heard it's planned for Chronicle 2.

• sajrussajrus Member Posts: 12
    Thank you all for your opinions!

I'm not really looking for any very long lasting game, just something to entertain me for a month or two. It's pretty much Lineage 2, Asherons call 2, DAoC or Shadowbane. And I'v heard lots of bad things about AC2 and DAoC is quite old, Shadowbane seam somehow unpopular and the graphic doesnt seam to match up to L2.

From what Iv heard overall this game seams to be alot like Diablo 2 online, it's hardcore (kinda), it's massive grinding and it's PKing for both good and bad. Diablo 2 tend to couse some mood swings (kill/die), which sometimes caused the D2 cds to go out the window. image

• HebrewBombHebrewBomb Member UncommonPosts: 520

Originally posted by sajrus
    Thank you all for your opinions!

I'm not really looking for any very long lasting game, just something to entertain me for a month or two. It's pretty much Lineage 2, Asherons call 2, DAoC or Shadowbane. And I'v heard lots of bad things about AC2 and DAoC is quite old, Shadowbane seam somehow unpopular and the graphic doesnt seam to match up to L2.
    From what Iv heard overall this game seams to be alot like Diablo 2 online, it's hardcore (kinda), it's massive grinding and it's PKing for both good and bad. Diablo 2 tend to couse some mood swings (kill/die), which sometimes caused the D2 cds to go out the window. image

Well there are definitely many sources that you can search for more info.

I would recommend you to join good clan for good source of info.

BTW I'm a clan leader and I know the importance of joining a good clan to tackle some of frustrating issues arising from many conflicting situation.

• XzaroXzaro Member UncommonPosts: 1,719

Originally posted by GamerV17
    I personally played in the beta and couldnt stand the game. I probably only got to level 5ish so that could be part of it. I know some friends that have it now and love it. Higher levels are suppose to be a lot more fun, as the lower levels are just plain grind like crazy for hours on end.
    After my bad thoughts from the beta I am now reconsidering getting the game to give it a try again and see if i can get high enough to make it be fun.GamerV17
    -MO-Torch in FPS Games

Yuppers. High levels = MORE GRINDING.

This is like work.

• BlooddrinkerBlooddrinker Member Posts: 12

yet higher lvls can afford more potions
    so they can longer without resting

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

Well I have been sitting on the fence about this game for a week now..Read a really good post about how exciting this game was when you were in the middle of some pvp.... Was about to DL it when I decided to check out there official forums..

This is what killed it for me.. To hear about all the problems the North American community is having atm.. Hearing all the stories about people getting there accounts banned due to NCsoft telling them that there account key has been sold and then them telling people to provide proof that they did indeed buy the game.. All the while they ignore the Botters/Hackers/Exploiters/and Farmers and allow them to play in peace.. To hear how people are exploiting the PVP system and generally causing grief throughtout the game (Soon and Blackstreet) are notorious for this.. Hearing about the sever instability of late made me immediately have memory flashbacks of another NCSoft game (COH). Prior to cancelling my account with COH I would get booted from the game on a regular basis..And then reading a post where a actual DEV said he was getting sick and tired of the NC community just blew my mind.. I know these guys are human but hell I have never heard a DEV reply in that way..

Anyways I was on the fence but I fell off now, I dont feel like playing Diablo2.1 (hack city) Online AKA L2...Seems to me that L2 doenst give a damn about the NC community, as long as there getting paid by the Botters and Farmers from China why should they? When I pay a montly fee I thought I was suppose to be paying it to insure a nice secure hacker free environment... That just not the case in L2 it seems..

Ill pass

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith