Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I hate fileplanet

I cancelled my account with them because for about a year it was worthless. Two days ago I see the "Subscribers get beta keys for AOC" So i re-up my account and all that jazz.

Maybe I completely missed it, or maybe they hid it in the fine print, but I saw NOTHING about this being a "refresh" contest to see how many people could get the keys first.

Fuck Fileplanet.

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

the open beta has a  50,000  hardcap for selection from Fileplanet

its refresh or hope for a random number of being lucky to be among the 50,000

I'd rather take my chances with current method

theres no good way to EXCLUDE paying Fileplanet subscribers

- I neither like the 50,000 limit or Fileplanet Exclusivity,  but thats what Funcom setup

• jippyukjippyuk Member UncommonPosts: 95

Anyone have a rough idea timewise when its good to start the refresh? How many hours (UK) are we ahead of PDT? :P

• scumukscumuk Member Posts: 119

Originally posted by jippyuk

Anyone have a rough idea timewise when its good to start the refresh? How many hours (UK) are we ahead of PDT? :P

i just set my windows clock to PST :P it's 05:51 atm

• tfwarlordtfwarlord Member Posts: 216

if you ask me, ANYONE who pays to use a download central where most of the 98% things are free to download anyway, are either incredible wealthy, and/or spendthrift.. I dont care how much really, its the symbolism behind it... I could easily afford it, but i wont throw my money out the window like that. I have NO respect for fileplanet subscribers ..

(MY OPINION)

• gethmordgethmord Member Posts: 9

I don't like fileplanet much either, but for me it's a good choice. I'm not real sure if I want to buy AoC, as my game time is really limited. Droping 15 dollars I can live with, 50 not so much. And I ALWAYS try mmo's before I buy them.

Oh, and I got the key about 11 am yesterday.

• TeiraaTeiraa Member UncommonPosts: 447

Originally posted by gethmord

I don't like fileplanet much either, but for me it's a good choice. I'm not real sure if I want to buy AoC, as my game time is really limited. Droping 15 dollars I can live with, 50 not so much. And I ALWAYS try mmo's before I buy them.
    You don't need to drop 15 dollars. The cheapest 1 month subscription is $7.90

But in another thread (which got meanwhile deleted for no obvious reason ), I estimated that the 12 Gigs download costs the file host only about $2. So there is quite some money in for fileplanet.

• urbanmonkeyurbanmonkey Member UncommonPosts: 134

Originally posted by tfwarlord

if you ask me, ANYONE who pays to use a download central where most of the 98% things are free to download anyway, are either incredible wealthy, and/or spendthrift.. I dont care how much really, its the symbolism behind it... I could easily afford it, but i wont throw my money out the window like that. I have NO respect for fileplanet subscribers ..
    (MY OPINION)
    Seconded here, brother. I loathe FilePlanet.

FilePlanet claim to have perks for subscribers. Really? What are those perks? Download FREE demos? Download FREE patches? Download FREE game mods? No thanks. I have a bittorent client.

FilePlanet makes subscribers pay for things they SHOULD get for free. Web based email, search engines, news websites AND patch/demo/beta download sites are free for all Internet users from the US to Mongolia. What is next? Pay for each Google search? Yahoo Mail to start charging me for sending emails? Google makes zillions of dollars from commercials without me paying a cent directly. The advertisement revenue model have been proven to be viable.

What exactly is the role of FilePlanet in this "open" beta? Hosting the client, right? Because Funcom cannot possibly pay for all the terabytes of outgoing traffic right? Bullcrap! Any P2P client can eliminate the need of a download server. Blizzard had one for their patches and it worked fine.

If some people want to pay for things that should be free, be my guest. But I for one refuse to give in to a company that its only merit is the fact that it managed to kill all competition from decent download portals such as 3dgarmers.com.

Even if the FilePlanet subscription would cost 5 cents I would not pay for it.

---------------------------------------------------------
    Never argue with idiots. They are immune to logic.

if you ask me, ANYONE who pays to use a download central where most of the 98% things are free to download anyway,

the only reason I pay for it is for early access to *MMOs Beta*

World of Warcraft got me started using the "fileplanet method" to have access to their beta back in 2004

only Fileplanet subs had guaranteed access to the WOW beta  -- *months* before it was open to many

• ghoul31ghoul31 Member Posts: 1,955

most people assumed if they paid for a subscription to Fileplanet they would get in the beta.

it seems fileplanet is just a scam

another set of keys just got released for AOC at Fileplanet

Originally posted by ghoul31

most people assumed if they paid for a subscription to Fileplanet they would get in the beta.
    it seems fileplanet is just a scam

and if they did ASSUME

- they did not read the fine print that said beta is *limited* to 50,000

heres the Fileplanet announcement

pc.ign.com/articles/867/867339p1.html

• SigneSigne Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,524

(MY OPINION)

HA!  You make it sound like people who subscribe to FP are subscribing to Nazi Weekly!  I've subscribed there for years for a lot of different reasons, beta tests not being high on the list.  I will really miss your respect, though, because it means so much coming from someone I don't know.  Geez... so bitter.  Why not channel all that strange hate for FP subscribers into something meaningful, like World Hunger or homeless kittens?  Just about ANYTHING is more important that who subs to what gaming service.