Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

File planet Betas

For the lose.

I hate the idea, and I especially hate the way AoC is running theres.

The sleeper awakes...and rides his dirtbike to the mall.

Comments

• CablespiderCablespider Member UncommonPosts: 272

Yaaawwwn!

• CosmicPuppetCosmicPuppet Member UncommonPosts: 7

As far as I can tell, they want you to pay a minimum of $15 for the file planet subscription just to have the chance to participate in the so called "open beta" for AOC???  I think I will pass thanks.

---------------------------------------------

peace,

Cosmic Puppet

::::13::

• senadinsenadin Member UncommonPosts: 247

Originally posted by Burnthebed

For the lose.

No one is forcing you to pay them,

If you want in, pay, whining here isnt gona change a single thing!

You guys who whine about this are simply and trully pathetic!

Get used to it, because this is how EQ2, this is how LOTR, Tabula Rasa, Requiem, DDO stress test, SOTNW, RFO and countless other MMO's are doing their betas.

It's easier for the game developers out there and cheaper and less an headache to handle.

Heck werent they even involved in the WOW stress test?

It isnt going away....FAR from it!

• BurnthebedBurnthebed Member Posts: 443

Originally posted by senadin

For the lose.

Get used to it, because this is how EQ2, this is how LOTR, Tabula Rasa, Requiem, DDO stress test, SOTNW, RFO and countless other MMO's are doing their betas.

It's easier for the game developers out there and cheaper and less an headache to handle.

Right.....pathetic

• gathgath Member Posts: 424

Originally posted by senadin  [...]
    [...]
    Dont know where you get your infos, but i been in LOTR, WOW and DDO betas/tests, and i'm not even "free member" of fileplanet...

If anyone or anything is pathetic here, is people accepting this crap, using the old cliché "no one is forcing you to pay"...

Next, you have to pay to see screenshots... or even know a game even exists...

Senhores da Guerra

• AirspellAirspell Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,391

For the lose.

LOL, no Blizzard did not let fileplanet handle their stress test :P

SOTNW....it's a f2p game, anyone who would pay to beta it is an idiot.

• Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822

Fileplanet did wow's stress test, but you didnt have to be a paying subscriber.

• GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287

Originally posted by Airspell

LOL, no Blizzard did not let fileplanet handle their stress test :P

SOTNW....it's a f2p game, anyone who would pay to beta it is an idiot.

Technically, it began its life as a pay to play game.  There was actually a bit of hooplah over it, because it was only a few months before it WENT free to play, and those who had paid for those few months felt kinda (and fairly) robbed.

Not that any of that makes the 'paid' beta of it any better, just saying.

As for me, I have already stated in another thread where I stand on it.  I think its fine, especially for the reasons I gave there.  I'll add some more reasons.  Its a testing phase, and frankly...being forced to pay 5 bucks to get in at least weeds out those not serious about testing it.  It at least weeds out several.  It also blocks out several kiddies that would hop on the free wagon just to see boobies, and would not only ruin the concept of testing the game...but also the fledgling community that will be forming there.

Before anyone asks, I'm not going to join fileplanet.  I have no interest in it, nor do I have any interest in either testing ANOTHER game (I'm in several already, and have been in several more in the past) or playing Age of Conan.  That aside, I'm very unbiased and can still manage to use my brain about things even if I happen to dislike them.  Funcom made a good choice, one that likely bought them the time to keep developing the game and polish it properly.  I fully suspect their initial funding has run quite dry, and that the front money from Fileplanet has likely compensated for that.

• jeffpenneyjeffpenney Member Posts: 16

give me a break, this post is just a whining attempt for attention. fileplanet deosnt boast AOC as the only early beta acceptence, it has hosted hundreds of early beta privledges. Fileplanet isnt asking you to pay for the sole purpose of early beta acceptence, they have many many other perks such as instant high bandwith downlods on all there files. That is what you are really paying for, the bandwith. if you are going to whine about a beta you canot get into then you might as well not post the topic because it will get you nowhere.

Originally posted by jeffpenney

give me a break, this post is just a whining attempt for attention. fileplanet deosnt boast AOC as the only early beta acceptence, it has hosted hundreds of early beta privledges. Fileplanet isnt asking you to pay for the sole purpose of early beta acceptence, they have many many other perks such as instant high bandwith downlods on all there files. That is what you are really paying for, the bandwith. if you are going to whine about a beta you canot get into then you might as well not post the topic because it will get you nowhere.
    Actually it was me whining about the fact that I missed out on the 1 minute window to get a key that night. I've since missed out on 4 other 1 minute windows to get the key because I have a job and real life responsibilities unlike a lot of gamers.

I didn't say anything about being annoyed about paying to beta. I just would like to be able to actually get IN if I am going to pay.

Next time please read the 2 sentences, let them sink in, and THEN reply.

• oobeoobe Member UncommonPosts: 60

I call it capitalism

• DevalonDevalon Member UncommonPosts: 496

More like supply and demand

--
    "Any free people have the right to choose how it wants to be govern thats the essence of democracy. It's sad when America has chosen for the stability and consistency of a dictatorship and doing it democratically" -utnow

• mintormintor Member Posts: 61

Originally posted by CosmicPuppet

As far as I can tell, they want you to pay a minimum of $15 for the file planet subscription just to have the chance to participate in the so called "open beta" for AOC???  I think I will pass thanks.
    why pay 15.95 open beta ?

Subscribers can join the beta for Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures, the most anticipated MMORPG this year! Beta keys are being given out at random times throughout the week - so check back on FilePlanet daily for your chance at a key. Gameplay starts on May 1st.

Age of Conan Subscriber Beta

-The FilePlanet Team
  • AirspellAirspell Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,391

Actually it weeds out people with a brain and people without in my opinion.  Personally I would not like the latter to be testing my games, however as the game is coming out soon and there is very little testing to be done you might as well have monkeys logging in and playing as long as they pay. 

• windirectwindirect Member UncommonPosts: 5

Originally posted by CosmicPuppet

You don't even get a key if you are a subscriber. They are giving away a limited number each day, you only have a very small chance of getting a key from them!

• HatsAndCatsHatsAndCats Member Posts: 74

Originally posted by Bama1267

Fileplanet did wow's stress test, but you didnt have to be a paying subscriber.
    You did have to be a subber for the 1st Stress Test

The second one was open to all.

Well I ended up getting a key. I'm DLing the client now, but I still don't like the limited time thing. I got lucky and refreshed at the right time.

• TeimanTeiman Member Posts: 1,319

Well..   I think  this people have let Marketing run the bussines, and this always result on a trainwreck.

Marketing do some stuff good, but you don't have to let then design your product. If you let marketing design your product, all you will have is a list of silver bullers, and a shallow entitys, that no one will want.

BETA-ing is a engineer concept, and we are getting the result of let the marketing droids run it:  It suck.

You have to PAY for a right to be elegible to beta it. And some people will never get into the beta, even after paying for it. That will backfire.

Some people will have huge problems downloading the thing. Some people will allways have problems downloading it. But if you make people to PAY for something, people will EXPECT SOMETHING BACK. This will backfire.   And is unneeded, there are tools, like torrent, and others. and freely let any FP type of service to mirror the files.  Having a "download exclusive" suck for the users.

Letting the marketing droids run the circus in that stage will backfire.

Expect really angry people in  3... 2... 1...

Mark my words. 

note: Marketing droids are not evil people, but there are stuff that is best handled by people that try his best to make the experience smooth, not by people that is tryiing his best to make it a circus, a hype, and a bussines experience.  Some people just want to get a rational oportunity to help the game beta testing it, and not participating in a ridiculous circus.

• mintormintor Member Posts: 61

1 dollar a day open beta .

mean at 15.95 figure math x times 50k  .  file planet  made for the  beta  800k .

• jeffpenneyjeffpenney Member Posts: 16

you guys are acting small minded to assume youre paying 16 dollars for conan open beta. fileplanet hasnt been around for years and years only to ask you to pay 16 bucks for one open beta and then quit your subscription after you get your key. if you do this, then your the moron here, not fileplanet. fileplanet has thousands of files with a high bandwith servers. you are not paying for one beta, you are paying for hundreds of future betas and demos and expantions and maps and full games. so stop crying.

• FastTxFastTx Member UncommonPosts: 756

They can cry all they want. It's a public forum and if everyone was quiet then it wouldn't be a good use of free speech would it?

As for me, and lots of others out there, paying for an MMO before trying it is risky business. It's one reason why Open Beta's are popular, people get to see the game, usually not able to keep their toons. If they like it, they buy it.

As for Age of Conan, it's been very restrictive. Hard to get in even when paying for it. Sure other MMO's have utilized FilePlanet for early acceptances to Open/Closed Beta's. But I don't recall an Open Beta for any game exclusive to FP subscribers only. Usually you could wait and they would open it up for free. I'm not a fan of the marketing of this game and FP or Funcom won't be recieving any money from me.

• WaPiZiWaPiZi Member Posts: 51

i won !

_--_--_--_Game History_--_--_--_
    Gemstone III/IV, Raju Denjik - RETIRED!
    Gemstone III/IV, Nefaru D'Aeothi -RETIRED!
    Word of Warcraft, Wapizi 70 Warlock - RETIRED!
    Word of Warcraft, Nefar 65 Hunter - RETIRED!

• jeaniusjeanius Member Posts: 14

k well what i'm curious about is........

it has been 24 hours, and I don't see the people to didn't accept their beta keys or emails get their names taken off the list of winners and see a redrawling for the keys from the people who didn't bother to get the key.....

breaking their own rule :(

• sirk242sirk242 Member Posts: 9

I've had fileplanet for a while now, i pay about 2 dollars a month and i get maxim and wired magazine in the mail. I would pay 2 dollars a month for the magazines alone. Not only that i love downloading patches and mods at 1.8mb/s, sucks to have 16meg internet and download at 200kb/s

• RathiousRathious Member Posts: 3

I have a fileplanet account but i don't pay the sub fee and I got an age of conan beta invite i am DLing it as we speak 12.59 GB  DL i am havinga blast lol. Seriously though I understand about being upset not having a key. I was bummed out also I didn't get one on here in there drawing. I went back to file planet and they had some keys there it was first come first serve just happened to get lucky and snag one. I repeat i do not pay for the subscription just have a user id on there.