Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did I miss something? Population

I started playing SWG on launch day, but left after the CU/NGE. I still have a few friends on Starsider and they continually try and talk me into coming back and playing. I have never retruned, but I do resub every so often to remind myself why and to let my friends know what terrible judgment they have (all in good fun of course). This week is one of those times, but I noticed something that suprised me. Where the hell did all of those people come from? Over the past week I have been logging in randomly to chat with my friends and have noticed that there are a lot more people than I thought playing. It seems at least Starsider has a pretty soild/healthy population...Anyway, it pains me to say anything positive about the game, but just thought I would share my shock.

Comments

• ValeranValeran Member Posts: 925

server transfers and vet trials

--------
    Ten Golden Rules Of Videogame Fanboyism

"SOE has probably united more gamers in hatred than Blizzard has subs"...daelnor

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086

Like rats leaving a sinking ship, current players that have toons on the 20+ ghost servers have transferred and/or rerolled new toons on the few servers that support a viable gaming population. That is the unvarnished, no-spin truth. 

• Prime8Prime8 Member CommonPosts: 108

Mostly transfers from the dead servers , the devs wont do anything to help those on dead servers and soe gets $50 , win win for soe and as usuall loose , loose for the players .

• ThunderousThunderous Member Posts: 1,152

I will log on to Star and take some screenshots to see if this is accurate.

I will do this Friday or else chalk this up as more viral marketing.

Tecmo Bowl.

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831

A lot of people have transferred to Star SIder because its an active RP and PvP server. I started on Star SIder for launch and remember when every NPC city on every planet was full. Plus the economy is good. SHC is a good Imp guild to join. I don't play anymore as of a few months ago but stil love star wars- mainly the legacy comic books!

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Yup server transfers, I know a few ex-guildies that still plays who moved to StarSider recently and even entire guilds from other servers.

• SWGcasualtySWGcasualty Member Posts: 11

I played on Kettemoor till just recently and most of what was left of the population transfered to Bria, Bloodfin and Starsider.

Bria, Starsider, and Bloodfin have been getting alot of transfers lately from people just looking for a half healthy community.

• iwantmyswgiwantmyswg Member Posts: 301

starsider is just full of ents who like to cyber and rpers who like to cyber.

and swg doesn't have a heathy population. 6k players on the game is not heathy it is sad and it is even more sad that if $OE had fixed the game like they said they would then swg would have warcraft numbers by now.

still the fanbois enjoy their dead game all 3 of them.

• safwdsafwd Member Posts: 879

Originally posted by iwantmyswg

and swg doesn't have a heathy population. 6k players on the game is not heathy it is sad and it is even more sad that if $OE had fixed the game like they said they would then swg would have warcraft numbers by now.
    Since SOE does not publish subscription numbers i take it you logged on and counted each of those 6K players right?

And you are high if you think SWG would have ever had numbers like WoW has. No P2P game older then WoW would have ever reached those numbers and i doubt any new game will either.

And i hate WoW with a passion so dont bother calling me a fanboi of WoW.

Again, SWG General Forum. People are allowed to like the game here, or at least say something that is not completely negative.

• iwantmyswgiwantmyswg Member Posts: 301

Originally posted by safwd

Since SOE does not publish subscription numbers i take it you logged on and counted each of those 6K players right?

And you are high if you think SWG would have ever had numbers like WoW has. No P2P game older then WoW would have ever reached those numbers and i doubt any new game will either.

Again, SWG General Forum. People are allowed to like the game here, or at least say something that is not completely negative.

people would have played pre-cu if it was fixed

it was well balanced and got very high reviews from every reviewer on the earth. it just had some game killing bugs that should have been taken out. rather $OE pushed 2 systems that the players did want. one of those systems killed what was the greatest game ever the other just really sucked.

people are tired of level based grind games people want more sandbox games. it is time for swg to go back to the pre-cu and for other mmos to be more pre-cu like.

Originally posted by safwd

people would have played pre-cu if it was fixed

it was well balanced and got very high reviews from every reviewer on the earth. it just had some game killing bugs that should have been taken out. rather $OE pushed 2 systems that the players did want. one of those systems killed what was the greatest game ever the other just really sucked.

people are tired of level based grind games people want more sandbox games. it is time for swg to go back to the pre-cu and for other mmos to be more pre-cu like.

OMG, you said something i cant go after you on.

Remember that hindsight is 20/20, SOE was not trying to ruin SWG, like everyone else they were trying to cash in on all the "players" WoW brought into the genre. They did succeed in destroying SWG but that was not their intention.

Would it have made sense to go forth with the NGE but leave a server or two with the original game on it for those that liked it better, of course, but for some reason they chose not to do it. And im pretty sure the reason is, they thought they were right.

NGE might actually be a decent game now but it will never have a big population.

1. It is old now so new players probably wont be interested

2. It has gotten so much negative publicity i dont think most people want to touch it with a stick

I think it would be great if they rolled back a few servers for you guys but im pretty sure it isnt going to happen.

1. That game doesnt exist anymore, they rewrote everything. Perhaps it is stored away somewhere in a vault but who knows.

2. While SOE has came out and said that they didnt handle it as well as they could have i dont think they will come out and say that they were completely wrong, and a roll back would be admition that they were compeletely wrong.

But either way, SWG would never had hit probably even a million Subs, probably not close. Before WoW 750K was huge in western games (in fact the top), only asian games topped that, and i dont think SWG would have become real popular in asia.

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803

Lucas Arts wouldn't allow a "classic" SWG to stand side by side with the NGE version.

They were afraid people would be confused.  I'm sure someone pitched the NGE as "SWG 2" and LA didn't want to hear it.

But they thought that changing to the wretched pseudoFPS would make it more like Jedi Knight/Jedi Academy, which to them is the "fast paced Star Warsy action" that they thought preCU/CU SWG lacked.

The relative success of JTL with its twitch combat convinced them they could get twitch combat into the ground game and give them the sort of gameplay, as close to arcade twitch as possible, that they thought would appeal to their "target audience" of teens and preteens.  They frankly DID NOT CARE if they lost their current player base of more mature players looking for a more complex game.  They didnt' see huge bucks in that, and they wanted huge bucks, because small bucks for an IP like Star Wars is just too embarassing for their fragile egos (and the ego of George Lucas) to bear.

So there was no chance of SWG classic standing along side the craptacularness of the NGE.  No way at all.

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

Originally posted by SioBabble

Lucas Arts wouldn't allow a "classic" SWG to stand side by side with the NGE version.
    They were afraid people would be confused.  I'm sure someone pitched the NGE as "SWG 2" and LA didn't want to hear it.
    But they thought that changing to the wretched pseudoFPS would make it more like Jedi Knight/Jedi Academy, which to them is the "fast paced Star Warsy action" that they thought preCU/CU SWG lacked.
    The relative success of JTL with its twitch combat convinced them they could get twitch combat into the ground game and give them the sort of gameplay, as close to arcade twitch as possible, that they thought would appeal to their "target audience" of teens and preteens.  They frankly DID NOT CARE if they lost their current player base of more mature players looking for a more complex game.  They didnt' see huge bucks in that, and they wanted huge bucks, because small bucks for an IP like Star Wars is just too embarassing for their fragile egos (and the ego of George Lucas) to bear.
    So there was no chance of SWG classic standing along side the craptacularness of the NGE.  No way at all.
    This is a very jaded response.

That reeks very much of the truth.

• Sam123jo0123Sam123jo0123 Member Posts: 409
    Originally posted by murphys123

I started playing SWG on launch day, but left after the CU/NGE. I still have a few friends on Starsider and they continually try and talk me into coming back and playing. I have never retruned, but I do resub every so often to remind myself why and to let my friends know what terrible judgment they have (all in good fun of course). This week is one of those times, but I noticed something that suprised me. Where the hell did all of those people come from? Over the past week I have been logging in randomly to chat with my friends and have noticed that there are a lot more people than I thought playing. It seems at least Starsider has a pretty soild/healthy population...Anyway, it pains me to say anything positive about the game, but just thought I would share my shock.

Ofcourse - the games population isn't as low as some of the haters make out, theres been an influx of new players and returning players recently which has increased the pop largely.

Haters would have you believe that everyone is on a vet trial or AFK - this ofcourse isn't the case.

Account has been stolen, why would someone want to steal my account?

• ThunderousThunderous Member Posts: 1,152

Originally posted by Sam123jo0123

Ofcourse - the games population isn't as low as some of the haters make out, theres been an influx of new players and returning players recently which has increased the pop largely.

Haters would have you believe that everyone is on a vet trial or AFK - this ofcourse isn't the case.

Screenshot?

I have plenty that prove you are wrong and the populations are WORSE than we even expected. 

Tecmo Bowl.

• smg77smg77 Member Posts: 672
    Originally posted by Sam123jo0123

Of course you can back up this statement with a screenshot or two, right?

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383

There always seems to be a slight jump in population just after a big publish. But as always it'll diminsh again in time. Especially if AoC does really well next month we'll probably see many SWG'ers moving to that.

• murphys123murphys123 Member Posts: 216
    Originally posted by Thunderous

I will log on to Star and take some screenshots to see if this is accurate.
    I will do this Friday or else chalk this up as more viral marketing.

I dont even play the game and stated in the coment that I don't like it. From this you came to the conclusion that I am a part of an underground advertising scheme orchestrated by the suits at SOE? I merely commented on a couple day's worth of personal observations. But, good luck on your undercover investigation there Chris Hansen.

disregard

• TookyGTookyG Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,115

20 ghost town servers and 4 or 5 servers with a couple hundred players on doesn't equal a game with a healthy population.

Until you cancel your subscription, you are only helping to continue the cycle of mediocrity.

Originally posted by TookyG

20 ghost town servers and 4 or 5 servers with a couple hundred players on doesn't equal a game with a healthy population.

Yeah...well, I only mentioned one server not 20, and I believe I expressed my shock at seeing people. That should clue you on my understanding of the typical SWG server population. I put a question mark at the end of the thread title to express my confusion upon seeing what appeared to be an unusually populated server. Next time I will just draw some pictures or something.

• GutboyGutboy Member Posts: 630

I could be wrong but I think it will be very interesting with what the devs have in store for Saturday. I personally think they will announce the ability to have a common area for players of all servers to gather to form groups for PvP and instances.

The open spots were snapped up in a day or two, but I am sure some of the vocal "disgrunted vets" will show up to gate crash.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Star Wars Galaxies development team members from LucasArts and Sony Online Entertainment will be traveling to San Francisco this spring to meet you and hear what you have to say about the game. This Galactic Gathering is your chance to talk with the developers face-to-face, find out about the upcoming plans for Star Wars Galaxies, ask questions in a live Q&A format, and connect with fellow players.

What: Star Wars Galaxies™ April 2008 Community Summit!

When: April 26, 2008 from 3 PM to 6 PM PDT

Where: Jillian's (inside the Metreon)

101 4th Street, at Mission St.

San Francisco, CA 94103

(415) 369-6100

• smg777smg777 Member Posts: 49

Yeah...well, I only mentioned one server not 20, and I believe I expressed my shock at seeing people. That should clue you on my understanding of the typical SWG server population. I put a question mark at the end of the thread title to express my confusion upon seeing what appeared to be an unusually populated server. Next time I will just draw some pictures or something.

Can you post some screenshots of this supposed population?

• TookyGTookyG Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,115

I should have quoted the person I was replying to since I wasn't commenting on what you said.

Until you cancel your subscription, you are only helping to continue the cycle of mediocrity.

Originally posted by smg777

Can you post some screenshots of this supposed population?

What is it you think I am trying to claim here? Let me summarize my post to maybe raise the comprehension level a bit.

1. I dont play SWG because I dont like it.

2. The population is really low in SWG.

3. I logged in to chat with some friends.

4. I actually saw more than a handful of people at one time on Starsider.

5. Did I miss something or did the population go up on the server?

6. I missed the part where I claimed the game has made a comeback and brought peace to the middle east.