Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aion is P2P? or will be micro payment?

Comments

• sokkyusokkyu Member Posts: 92
    Originally posted by tokarus

WOw i didnt know it was such a big thing to have a game with a subscription and one with out one, or with a cash shop. whats the difference if its a good game? is that really something your gonna bash on a game because you arent required to pay for it the rest of the games life?

The difference whether it's a good game or not the money you give to company has to be justified. If a good game can be made without a subscription why is there one? If there are two schools and both are in general the same but one requires payment does that make the one you have to pay for any better?

• tokarustokarus Member Posts: 43

sorry i didnt put it very well. i saw someone dismissing a game because it didnt have a subscription fee, that just goes to show that the developer would rather you play and enjoy the game for the initial cost instead of maximizing profit. if wow was free im sure a lot more people would play, but then the quality of the patches may drop. i just dont understand why it would matter either way. if the game rocks who cares if its pay to play or not. you shouldnt stop playing just because of that. ehh people are wiered

• sokkyusokkyu Member Posts: 92

I'm not a firm believer in the fact that mmorpgs actually need that much money to maintain the game and give content updates. I think games that are free online and only make money from selling just the game can't make enough money to make a proper mmorpg and games that you buy and subscribed to make way more money than they actually need to do that. From what I've seen from World of Warcraft from playing every once in awhile is that it really doesn't get enough to show me that they want to do more then collect their paycheck. Gamers like me may be over cautious in spending our money but not without reason.

• tokarustokarus Member Posts: 43

I understand totally. I'm pretty much done with subscribing to games unless one completely blows me off my chair. but so far no developers really caught my interest even with the new engines,  why cant it be a little more oblivion meets wow like ? i'm stoked for the release of Aion, but i'm not sure if it will be the game that makes the change for me.

• SinzOfManSinzOfMan Member UncommonPosts: 224

Only thing I don't like about monthly fee's is the feeling of "must play" to get your money's worth.

Have 2 options for casual and hardcore gamers.  hardcore is the regular $15/month.  casual would be something like $15/ 60 hours (rough estimate).  A lot of people only play a couple hours a week.  it's hardly fair for them to be paying the same price as someone who's playing 14 hours a day. 

I wish companies would think about that serious problem of addiction that comes with monthly fee's.  

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

If anyone was referring to ME as bashing a game because it's free to play....I wasn't.    I wouldn't care if GW  PAID me to play it, I personally think it sucks.  It's not the type/style of game that I, personally, enjoy.  It has nothing to do with the fact that it's free.  As a matter of fact....if a game was released that didn't have a monthly fee that was actually a high quality MMOrpg with quality customer service, good updates, etc, etc.....I would DEFINITELY have to check that out.  However....Guild Wars is NOT such a beast.  I don't even think the company refers to their game as an MMOrpg, but for some reason, the player base seems to think it is....go figure.  It has about as much in common with WoW, EQ2, AoC, and oh, I don't know....ANY other TRUE MMOrpg as frogs have in common with horses.  They really just can't be discussed honestly in the same category.

I would rather PAY and get the type of game I WANT, than play a free game, just because it's free.  To me, that is senseless. 

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• KatzuAionKatzuAion Member Posts: 81

Meh.. in the end, i assume most of ppl want p2p (u can see a voting on this forum with 70% wanting aion to be p2p rather than free) because p2p games, normally deliver in terms of quality. Developers will justify the money you actually pay.

There's allready alot of  crappy f2p games out there, we dont need aion to be one more in the basket.

• shadowrunxtshadowrunxt Member UncommonPosts: 121

Originally posted by SinzOfMan

Only thing I don't like about monthly fee's is the feeling of "must play" to get your money's worth.

Have 2 options for casual and hardcore gamers.  hardcore is the regular $15/month.  casual would be something like $15/ 60 hours (rough estimate).  A lot of people only play a couple hours a week.  it's hardly fair for them to be paying the same price as someone who's playing 14 hours a day. 

I wish companies would think about that serious problem of addiction that comes with monthly fee's.  

I agree.  I am a casual gamer.  I play only 1-2 hours a day because i have work.  Sometimes i don't play at all because i'm tired at the end of the day.  That $15 is not worth it for me.

I wish NCSoft will come up with a different payment scheme aside from the standard monthly fee.  I'm ok with prepaid.  For example, $15 for 240 hours (equivalent to 10 days) would be fine.  It's an hourly consumption so if i don't play then the time is not wasted.  And the credit would be valid for 2 months, after which it expires.

I'm just wondering, it's been years and no one has implemented a different scheme like this.  This will attract many casual players.

Originally posted by shadowrunxt

Originally posted by SinzOfMan

I agree.  I am a casual gamer.  I play only 1-2 hours a day because i have work.  Sometimes i don't play at all because i'm tired at the end of the day.  That $15 is not worth it for me.

I wish NCSoft will come up with a different payment scheme aside from the standard monthly fee.  I'm ok with prepaid.  For example, $15 for 240 hours (equivalent to 10 days) would be fine.  It's an hourly consumption so if i don't play then the time is not wasted.  And the credit would be valid for 2 months, after which it expires.

I'm just wondering, it's been years and no one has implemented a different scheme like this.  This will attract many casual players.

Hmmm... i dont know. It seems too much rewarding such type of payement, if something like that was allowed it would meab that would you be around 200 days playing with only 15$? . i really dont think so, most of peeps would choose that payement, and would hurt alot the socializing part of it.

"oh gtg, my 10 minutes allready passed -.-"

maybe something like 15$ - 50 hours would make some sense :).

However, i also think that companies dont include this for obvious reasons.. and hey... its a MMORPG, you're supposed to invest many hours in it!

• shadowrunxtshadowrunxt Member UncommonPosts: 121

How about $15 for 120 hours, or maybe 100 hours.

And oh, 2 months expiry is 60 days only.  The problem is that not all players can invest all the time in their life playing.

• ScabbScabb Member Posts: 32

I hope that could be more cheap for casual players but the politic of ncsoft isn't like blizzard for example,nothing is ofc atm ,lineage II continue with the same payment for many years ago.

Don't think in GW payment cuz this game mainly is a mmorpg and ambitious project with many $ spent

• dakota123dakota123 Member Posts: 93

Lets seei, P2P means montly, if not weekly updates, tons of new content, bugs and glitches fixed fast and easily, constant support, and more security and anti cheat/hacker stuff.

Micro management- maybe a short list a bugs fixed every 2 months. Horribel service. Gold sellers and hackers take over. barely any IF any new content. Eventually will turn into developer neglect and eventual server crashes, ans unwanted sestruction of a perfectly good game.

• jinxitjinxit Member UncommonPosts: 854

At first i thought Aion would be a subscription based MMO but on the advent of ncsoft implementing their NCcoin micropayment system http://www.plaync.com/us/nccoin/  with only one game currently using the system http://www.exteel.com/us/  and with none of NCsofts current titles like COX , Lineage, Tabula Rasa Guild wars and Dungeon runners showing any sign at all of implimenting the NCcoin micropayment system I'd say its a sure thing to expect NCsofts titles in development to have the NCcoin micropayment system. 

Then there's NCsofts announcement on how they wish to "Diversify how customers can pay and play" http://www.plaync.com/us/news/2008/04/ncsoft_rolls_ou_1.html also within the statement made by Chris Chung - NCsoft's America's President - there's this little snippet of insight into the direction NCsoft are currently wishing to take with future game developments

"Micro-transactions are a growing part of the online gaming industry and NCcoin will allow us to support micro-transaction based games efficiently, allowing developers and players to quickly enjoy the benefits of those systems. We will soon be rolling out more contents that leverage the flexibility of NCcoin.”

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Originally posted by jinxit

At first i thought Aion would be a subscription based MMO but on the advent of ncsoft implementing their NCcoin micropayment system http://www.plaync.com/us/nccoin/  with only one game currently using the system http://www.exteel.com/us/  and with none of NCsofts current titles like COX , Lineage, Tabula Rasa Guild wars and Dungeon runners showing any sign at all of implimenting the NCcoin micropayment system I'd say its a sure thing to expect NCsofts titles in development to have the NCcoin micropayment system. 
    Then there's NCsofts announcement on how they wish to "Diversify how customers can pay and play" http://www.plaync.com/us/news/2008/04/ncsoft_rolls_ou_1.html also within the statement made by Chris Chung - NCsoft's America's President - there's this little snippet of insight into the direction NCsoft are currently wishing to take with future game developments
      "Micro-transactions are a growing part of the online gaming industry and NCcoin will allow us to support micro-transaction based games efficiently, allowing developers and players to quickly enjoy the benefits of those systems. We will soon be rolling out more contents that leverage the flexibility of NCcoin.”

I personaly don't think that Aion will use NCcoin's since it's a big .. very big project , they will just go on with the P2P model.

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• EphimeroEphimero Member Posts: 1,860

Ncsoft has already announced Aion will be P2P in korea, exteel is F2P in korea, they tend to copy their payment models overseas and it sounds logic as Aion is their next AAA title, while Steel is just a casual nichè game.

• xephonicsxephonics Member UncommonPosts: 672

Good god im glad its p2p

I hate the crowd that follows f2p

My god has horns.... nah, I don't think he is real either.

• kitsunegirlkitsunegirl Member Posts: 525

p2p is alot better... its more costly for the player, but it also makes it easier on the devs to make new content and the like. The reason why most f2p games suck is because they have no income hardly to pay for development. They use grinding - heavy grinding - to cover up for the lack of content.

• xephonicsxephonics Member UncommonPosts: 672

p2p is cheaper for me, in f2p i spend $100-200 a month lol

My god has horns.... nah, I don't think he is real either.

• khartokhar3khartokhar3 Member UncommonPosts: 486
    Originally posted by xephonics

yeah i know what u mean. in f2p games u gonna pay for items in the item shop to reduce the grind which will be at the end more costly then p2p games

• HoundeyeHoundeye Member Posts: 110

Well thank god its P2P atleast then we wont have to deal with the korean F2P RMT spam...... and i dont mind paying $14.99 / £7.99 for that!

Originally posted by Houndeye

Well thank god its P2P atleast then we wont have to deal with the korean F2P RMT spam...... and i dont mind paying $14.99 / £7.99 for that!

Índeed. Any game that aims at a sucessuful life, or at a steady income per month, to allow them to increase the game quality MUST BE P2P monthly.

Just look at crappy F2P games with micro payement.. ewww, i sure dont want the beautiful Korean Jewel Called Aion to fall in that category :3

• AmbikanAmbikan Member Posts: 54

I see just as much RMT spam in P2P as I do in F2P, and sometimes there's noticeably less in a F2P.

For example, I recently tried a F2P Asian game called Perfect World, basically a very cleaned up and polished F2P WoW clone.

There were RMT companies that had game/RM shop money for sale, but RMT ads were pretty scarce. You can buy either game gold or RMT gold from the official game card retailers, which are more reputable than some unknown Asian gold-farmer store. When the RMT farmers have to compete with the game developers and their official partners, it deals a huge blow to the RMT "advertising campaign".

In my opinion, because of these reasons, monthly P2P are the most lucrative targets for gold-farming RMT compaines, because they have no "official" competition. There is no other way for players to exchange RM for game goods, and even though many players feel its equivallant to cheating, there will always be players looking for a "real money shortcut".

On another note, I remember reading somewhere that there will be a "F2P item shop" version of Aion released in Asia. I just hope that they take very serious measures to ensure that the monthly P2P versions stays as free of 3rd party viral advertising and bot-farming as possible.

Waiting for:

-Games-
    -Re-Launch of Hellgate:London US/EU Servers
    -Diablo 3

-A PvE centric MMORPG with-
    -Fast paced twitch-action combat that requires hand-eye coordination, where you can manually aim your attacks instead of having to acquire/lock target(s) first.
    -FPS-style WASD and mouse control that determine your overall success when attacking or defending.

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Originally posted by Ambikan

On another note, I remember reading somewhere that there will be a "F2P item shop" version of Aion released in Asia. I just hope that they take very serious measures to ensure that the monthly P2P versions stays as free of 3rd party viral advertising and bot-farming as possible.

Well , you are wrong or the ones that have writed the article . Can you please give us a link? Perhaps it was from fun site?!

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• EphimeroEphimero Member Posts: 1,860
    Originally posted by Ambikan

I think I know what you said, and I think it was an error in translation. Those items weren't on sale, those items were given to the people who played on that lan where Aion was introducing a special beta.

• kitsunegirlkitsunegirl Member Posts: 525
    Originally posted by xephonics

Exactly! Even in EQ2 I end up spending like 40$ extra every so often trying to get loot cards. lol Not as much as I would have if I were in a f2p game, but still... and Im very cautious with my spending of online game junk.