Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Confusion over zero players on some servers and other stuff

2»

Comments

• DracusDracus Member Posts: 1,449

Originally posted by Illyrian

Isn't it obvious?
    Hordes of players bought the game, subscribed to it but decided not ot log in. There it is, pure growth. And yes, this brain dead logic is precisely the official FLS party line, cannot wait to hear more.

Btw, I agree that game can have copy/paste factions for a lower price but that is when station pass comes into the play. Being tied to it POTBS cannot lower the price because it would alienate station pass holders, and they are probably the only thing keeping FLS afloat at this time.
    Good points.

And rereading the article about the remark of "Our paid subscribers have been going up," does make sense and is of truth.  Similar to what you posted, that each purchase of a copy, brings one month subscription or a paid subscriber.  Anyone person who gets a trial account and then ops for one month, becomes a paid subscriber.  So every month brings in new paid subscribers, thus there are more paid subscribers, a growth.

In that sense, the use of paid accounts refers to New Paying Accounts.

And that is why...

Conservatives' pessimism is conducive to their happiness in three ways. First, they are rarely surprised -- they are right more often than not about the course of events. Second, when they are wrong they are happy to be so. Third, because pessimistic conservatives put not their faith in princes -- government -- they accept that happiness is a function of fending for oneself. They believe that happiness is an activity -- it is inseparable from the pursuit of happiness.

• IllyrianIllyrian Member Posts: 300

Originally posted by Dracus

Originally posted by Illyrian

Isn't it obvious?
    Hordes of players bought the game, subscribed to it but decided not ot log in. There it is, pure growth. And yes, this brain dead logic is precisely the official FLS party line, cannot wait to hear more.

Btw, I agree that game can have copy/paste factions for a lower price but that is when station pass comes into the play. Being tied to it POTBS cannot lower the price because it would alienate station pass holders, and they are probably the only thing keeping FLS afloat at this time.
    Good points.

And rereading the article about the remark of "Our paid subscribers have been going up," does make sense and is of truth.  Similar to what you posted, that each purchase of a copy, brings one month subscription or a paid subscriber.  Anyone person who gets a trial account and then ops for one month, becomes a paid subscriber.  So every month brings in new paid subscribers, thus there are more paid subscribers, a growth.

In that sense, the use of paid accounts refers to New Paying Accounts.

Pretty much, you nailed it, as usual I might add. It all goes back to that old saying how there is a lie, a damn lie and statistics. It doesn't really changes the fact that current active playerbase is miniscule and declining.

• DracusDracus Member Posts: 1,449

Thanks, I just wish those interviewers or investigative reporters would do some better analysis or ask for more detailed questions.

Then again, with some interviews the interviewee can decide which questions to answer and how.

So now the question to answer is, "What is the state of the number of Active (repeat) Paid Subscribers?"  I would like to read the answer to that and to explain the comparison to the low rate of concurrent users.

And that is why...

Conservatives' pessimism is conducive to their happiness in three ways. First, they are rarely surprised -- they are right more often than not about the course of events. Second, when they are wrong they are happy to be so. Third, because pessimistic conservatives put not their faith in princes -- government -- they accept that happiness is a function of fending for oneself. They believe that happiness is an activity -- it is inseparable from the pursuit of happiness.

• BountytakerBountytaker Member Posts: 323

Originally posted by smg77

I have *never* said that SOE was responsible for PotBS poor gameplay. I do believe that SOE put pressure on FLS to release the game before it was ready but that's just a theory. It's just too much like Vanguard's release where the same thing happened.

Alright, I'm not going to spend any time playing the semantics game with you, while derailing this thread.

What I will point out, though, is that, in this thread itself, you specifically list SOE pushing for an early release as a FACTUAL REASON for the games failure.  As a matter of fact, you list is as reason number 1.  Not "just a theory", but as an actual reason.

So, if that's NOT what you're saying, I suggest you change that post on the previous page.

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

Originally posted by graill

having played my NO to max and dealing with a non existant economy, ignorant pvp combat, less than worthless pve, i could not come up with a reason to pay for another month. with the server consolidation the game is in its death throws, i thought about transferring but its like...why bother, i have tasted the content, and it will not change, small world, small instances, ignorantly thought out  combat.
    i mean who makes pvp combat where the groups disapear into nothingness, their own private arena, what happened to open sea combat? i am loathe to give eve any credit for anything but the initial attack phase of the their pvp is spot on (but thats all i give in, grin)
    POTBS should have made it so anyone that wants to join can, meaning if friends come to a gankfest it will be a royal gankfest, and if the gankee has friends show up the contest becomes a challenge for the gankers to include gankers becoming the gankees. imagine huge open sea battles, with the option for carebearing to those that want it, i think the red circles killed alot of subs in the economy aspect, but just my opinion there. lol, then we have avatar combat, think keystone cops, nuff said there.
    depending on players to run an economy has never worked, EVER. those that jump on the eve bandwagon and say "oh, oh,oh!! eve has a great player economy!" no they they dont, the devs constantly manipulate and fix that economy or it would fall on its face, reasons already well known.
    no, POTBS had to many interlinking aspects that depended on players, with lack of those players the game fails, is failing, hence the server merges to try and get those links (*cough* economy) going again. but hey, it was fun while it lasted, and thats all that matters, is the fun, till its not fun, then you move on.

I pressed Rusty on the idea of letting anyone join.  He specifically said he didn't want any fight to always be a 6 on 6.  All the solo pvpers were whining that this would eliminate their solo pvp.  Of course, when they gank a person, they proclaimed "no crying in the red circle!"  but whenever you propose something they don't like, there is plenty of crying in the red circle.

As I said before, PvP needs to be chaotic.  Personally that's the fun of PvP, is fighting over a small bit of area constantly contesting it with wave after wave jumping into the fight.

However, sadly, Rusty and friends think this is bad, as the only way you should be able to win is "make things unfair in your favor."  From a fan of this game, the dev who made that statement should've been fired on the spot.  :)

• ThunderousThunderous Member Posts: 1,152

I actually enjoyed this game for a week or so.

Then I came to the same realization that thousands of other players did...  There is NO DEPTH.

The game is a repetitive version of WoW on water, PvP is a joke, and the economy is nothing like what was promised.

PotBS is destined for the MMO graveyard that is the SOE Station Pass.  That way SOE can provide quantity with little quality, and simply maintain the game with a skeleton crew at minimal expense. 

There is no future for this game.  It sank at launch, and it has only taken on more water each month since then.  The developers didn't deliver what they promised and because of that this game is as good as dead.

Tecmo Bowl.