Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A recent review of the game for anyone considering purchase.

2»

Comments

• masterbroodmasterbrood Member Posts: 62
    Originally posted by Katashi-kun

Originally posted by kiern

Thanks for the follow up Kaldrannath. Much better than the original review.
    It sounds like you are sticking with the mouse and keyboard. It's seems like everyone is recommending a controller pad. How difficult is it using the mouse and keyboard?

Its much easier with just the keyboard and no; not using the mouse!  The 9-key pad controls all ur movements, selections,  zoom, auto-run, menus, targeting, etc, and the 4 arrow keys nearby controls the camera. 

Remainder of the keyboard is for typing, macros, & canceling actions with esc.

Not sure how playing with a controller is easier or better...yeah its a console game ported to PC, but bleh can't stand a controller unless I'm playing on a console....and yeah I've tried it before and its just not as good as the keyboard!

wow..... first time ive heard that lol controllers are so much easier, everything is right there at your fingertips, and comfortably ive tried using the keyboard and started cramping after about an hour, so for me its comtroller all the way

-The only sure thing about the future is uncertainty

• kitsunegirlkitsunegirl Member Posts: 525

Comparing this game to Wow is like comparing Lineage II to Runescape. Both comparisons are absurd.

Ill admit, Im not a rabid fangirl, I played it for 30 days with friends that had been playing for a long time. I couldnt buy squat because of all the gold-sellers, fishing was boring me... and I didnt like the UI setup.

And yes, I was told in some not-so-nice terms that a bunch of stuff has been rectified in the game since then, so I apologized (and got trolled some more by others). Oh well.

The graphics are dated, they have some weird rendering engine that makes everything look fuzzy... apparently this can be removed by the res really high. But as dated and unimaginative as some of the character options are, they are some of the nicest looking ones in any game. Who doesnt love tribbles that can call down eldritch doom on their enemies and still manage to look cute? hehe

The UI isnt very intuitive, I agree, but its better if you realize that its ported from the PS2 final fantasy games, and wasnt originally an MMO (I may be wrong about this, but its what I was told). They could have made an actual PC-friendly UI, but its not as bad as it looks when you learn to type out commands instead of button mashing. ;)

• masterbroodmasterbrood Member Posts: 62
    Originally posted by kitsunegirl

Comparing this game to Wow is like comparing Lineage II to Runescape. Both comparisons are absurd.

Ill admit, Im not a rabid fangirl, I played it for 30 days with friends that had been playing for a long time. I couldnt buy squat because of all the gold-sellers, fishing was boring me... and I didnt like the UI setup.
    And yes, I was told in some not-so-nice terms that a bunch of stuff has been rectified in the game since then, so I apologized (and got trolled some more by others). Oh well.
    The graphics are dated, they have some weird rendering engine that makes everything look fuzzy... apparently this can be removed by the res really high. But as dated and unimaginative as some of the character options are, they are some of the nicest looking ones in any game. Who doesnt love tribbles that can call down eldritch doom on their enemies and still manage to look cute? hehe
    The UI isnt very intuitive, I agree, but its better if you realize that its ported from the PS2 final fantasy games, and wasnt originally an MMO (I may be wrong about this, but its what I was told). They could have made an actual PC-friendly UI, but its not as bad as it looks when you learn to type out commands instead of button mashing. ;)

as far as the ui is concerned, you dont have to type out commands at all, at least not after you make a macro for it.....

-The only sure thing about the future is uncertainty

• diricio1diricio1 Member Posts: 67

I bought the 30 day trial of FFXI 2 months ago that came with the first 2 expansions, and I was thoroughly impressed and satisfied with how the game presents itself. I've been a fan of Final Fantasy (preferably 7 lol) since I was about 6 or 7 (I'm 17 now lol).

But I don't see why some individuals are complaining about cities being dead lol. I always play as an Elvaan and start in the city thats catered to Elvaans (I forgot the name of it), and it's ALWAYS alot of people there. I recommend FFXI to anyone thats looking for a good MMO that is slow paced and rich in overall gameplay

• Katashi-kunKatashi-kun Member Posts: 517

Originally posted by diricio1

But I don't see why some individuals are complaining about cities being dead lol. I always play as an Elvaan and start in the city thats catered to Elvaans (I forgot the name of it), and it's ALWAYS alot of people there. I recommend FFXI to anyone thats looking for a good MMO that is slow paced and rich in overall gameplay

San d'oria, and alot of reason many ppl see the game as being empty many times is cause there are so many zones now, prolly close to 180+ now.  Not only that the zones are also quite large and sometimes you just miss ppl if your not in a congregation spot!  Still though I just restarted in Windurst and there is a very steady flow of players all over the city, and out in the field...

The game is very slow too, I'd say about 70-80% slower than your average MMO.  You just don't rush out to fight or into the city really quick and expect things to be over in a few min.  It takes alot of time.  Especially since I love that the game is almost entirely on foot everywhere!  Even at lvl 75 you're on foot!  Sure there are chocobos but the ride times are limited and u can't ride them everywhere.  There are also teleports and warps but those only goto pre-dertermined locs and after that ur back on foot!

Not only is the world huge, but having to traverse it on foot almost all the time makes feel even larger, and yeah to the new player I'm sure pretty daughnting though..hehe

Kemih ~ 13 Red Mage | Currently playing FFXI & LOTRO, awaiting Warhammer Online & Aion...

• KaldrannathKaldrannath Member Posts: 22

Kiern,

Using the keyboard/mouse isn't too difficult and depending on whether or not you have more experience/enjoyment playing PC games or console games you may find the keyboard/mouse easier once you've set up all your macros and played the game for a few days.  Initially, it's a pain in the arse because FFXI utilizes a menu system as opposed so many other games out there that use a click-the-button type system.  It also uses keys on the keyboard that are rarely used by other MMOs - the '-' key opening up the command menu, for example. 

Personally, I've never been a huge console gamer.  If I were to estimate, I'd guess I've played around 10 console games, mostly on a PS2.  I can see, though, how a controller could be beneficial and if you're used to playing FF games other than this one.

I the end it will come down to personal preference.  If you have a controller available, definitely give it a healthy try.  If not, stick with the keyboard/mouse.  I don't think it'll make much of a difference ultimately.

One of my friends mentioned that he loved that he could lie comfortably on his bed while he played when he used his controller.  I suppose that's a bonus, too!

Peace.

• mrdoublerrmrdoublerr Member Posts: 269

thats what i like about ffxi, you can play the game with the keyboard only most of the time, dont even need the mouse, and once you get used to the control its actualy very easy.