Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I have read good reviews of this game

War_EagleWar_Eagle Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 472

I was thinking about checking it out after reading some of the gaming sites and their reviews.  From what I saw the game was getting fairly good scores.

Now I'm really confused.  I actually bought the game but haven't opened the box yet.  I'm scared to after reading some of the things here.  Should I just bring it back? 

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

All Rights Reversed

Comments

• AnnekynnAnnekynn Member Posts: 1,437

Like every other game on the planet, its fun for some and not so for others. Try it and decide for yourself.

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

Yeah - try it.

IMHO if nothing else you should be able to get a couple of weeks of Single Player game out of it.

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• DJXeonDJXeon Member UncommonPosts: 553

There is likely to be a free Potbs 14 day trial in the near future 

http://www.warcry.com/articles/view/interviews/4809-PotBS-Server-Mergers-Explained-Our-Interview-With-CEO

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Don't open the box before your can try the 14 day trial. Bring it back if you have to....

The bottom line is that a vast majority of people did not sub after the first 30 days, for whatever reason.

They just did a bunch of server merges as well.

Try it for free, buy it if you like it. But even then, for a lot of people, the novelty of the game and its positives wear off quick.

• smg77smg77 Member Posts: 672

Get a buddy key and do the trial for free.

• IllyrianIllyrian Member Posts: 300

Originally posted by War_Eagle

I was thinking about checking it out after reading some of the gaming sites and their reviews.  From what I saw the game was getting fairly good scores.
    Now I'm really confused.  I actually bought the game but haven't opened the box yet.  I'm scared to after reading some of the things here.  Should I just bring it back? 

Get a buddy key, as for reviews - they are copying each other and are little more then paid advertisement.

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

Originally posted by Illyrian

Get a buddy key, as for reviews - they are copying each other and are little more then paid advertisement.

And if they were negative, you would be praising them to high heaven.  :)  Or perhaps, just like everyone else, there are different tastes.  Or you could say that gaming review companies typically base their reviews off of first impressions and at most a few weeks playing time, so they don't really get to peak under the dynamics.  There's no need to levy charges of which you have precious little proof (for if you had it, it would've been aired by now, and other gaming review sites would be hawking your evidence as proof that others are hopelessely biased.)

I remember everyone used to claim MMORPG.com was paid off by SOE for refusing to criticize Galaxies.  Then when the then head editor came out with a critical review, and then my critical assesment of the ethics of the NGE, all the SOE fanbois then said that MMORPG.com had caved into the demands of the idiot minority.

In short, read multiple reviews, from a varied perspective, then make your assesment.

Originally posted by iceman00

I was thinking about checking it out after reading some of the gaming sites and their reviews. From what I saw the game was getting fairly good scores.
    Now I'm really confused. I actually bought the game but haven't opened the box yet. I'm scared to after reading some of the things here. Should I just bring it back?

And if they were negative, you would be praising them to high heaven. :) Or perhaps, just like everyone else, there are different tastes. Or you could say that gaming review companies typically base their reviews off of first impressions and at most a few weeks playing time, so they don't really get to peak under the dynamics. There's no need to levy charges of which you have precious little proof (for if you had it, it would've been aired by now, and other gaming review sites would be hawking your evidence as proof that others are hopelessely biased.)

I remember everyone used to claim MMORPG.com was paid off by SOE for refusing to criticize Galaxies. Then when the then head editor came out with a critical review, and then my critical assesment of the ethics of the NGE, all the SOE fanbois then said that MMORPG.com had caved into the demands of the idiot minority.
    In short, read multiple reviews, from a varied perspective, then make your assesment.

The so-called gaming press is a massive fraud. They depend on the good-will of the gaming companies to stay in business so you will very rarely see a bad review. Look at the reviews mmorpg.com has done. They are all very positive and upbeat even when the game itself is crap. They don't publish the truth about games because then they might not get exclusive interviews or swag from the developers.

Look at the controversy Gamespot had last year over a reviewer who was fired for doing a bad review of a game that was being advertised very heavily on the site at the time. So-called professional reviews are worthless.

Originally posted by smg77

I was thinking about checking it out after reading some of the gaming sites and their reviews. From what I saw the game was getting fairly good scores.

Now I'm really confused. I actually bought the game but haven't opened the box yet. I'm scared to after reading some of the things here. Should I just bring it back?

And if they were negative, you would be praising them to high heaven. :) Or perhaps, just like everyone else, there are different tastes. Or you could say that gaming review companies typically base their reviews off of first impressions and at most a few weeks playing time, so they don't really get to peak under the dynamics. There's no need to levy charges of which you have precious little proof (for if you had it, it would've been aired by now, and other gaming review sites would be hawking your evidence as proof that others are hopelessely biased.)

I remember everyone used to claim MMORPG.com was paid off by SOE for refusing to criticize Galaxies. Then when the then head editor came out with a critical review, and then my critical assesment of the ethics of the NGE, all the SOE fanbois then said that MMORPG.com had caved into the demands of the idiot minority.

The so-called gaming press is a massive fraud. They depend on the good-will of the gaming companies to stay in business so you will very rarely see a bad review. Look at the reviews mmorpg.com has done. They are all very positive and upbeat even when the game itself is crap. They don't publish the truth about games because then they might not get exclusive interviews or swag from the developers.

Look at the controversy Gamespot had last year over a reviewer who was fired for doing a bad review of a game that was being advertised very heavily on the site at the time. So-called professional reviews are worthless.

Yes, Dana Masseys take on SWG was eminently positive, as was the one editorial about Dark and Light which basically called them a bunch of lazy slobs, and that they represented what was worst about the MMO industry.

Other than that, they are entirely positive.  :-p  Sure companies have problems, but I can gaurentee, if they were trashing POTBS, many critics would be praising them, but since they aren't, they are calling them as being in the pocket of companies. 

It's populism, short and simple. The greedy corporations are always buying off mouthpeices, to where anything said positive must mean they are a corporate shill.

As I said before, read all info, including the info here, and make your own judgement.

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

Sorry Iceman, but we gamers have all become very cynical over the years with the 'professional reviews'.

And sorry again, but the reviewers have done it to themselves.

Most 'reviewers' seem to score an average game as 7.5?

Half of 10 is actually 5 - and that is what people expect to reflect 'average'.  It seems that professional games reviewers are pitching to some unknown demographic  that calculates averages based on some higher alien math?

Why do you think Zero Punctuation is so popular?  Might it be that the reviewer gives an opinion gamers can relate to?  Might it be that he actually plays the games he reviews and is honest enough to say when he does not play them all the way through?

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

Originally posted by Gyrus

Sorry Iceman, but we gamers have all become very cynical over the years with the 'professional reviews'.

And sorry again, but the reviewers have done it to themselves.

Most 'reviewers' seem to score an average game as 7.5?

Half of 10 is actually 5 - and that is what people expect to reflect 'average'.  It seems that professional games reviewers are pitching to some unknown demographic  that calculates averages based on some higher alien math?

Why do you think Zero Punctuation is so popular?  Might it be that the reviewer gives an opinion gamers can relate to?  Might it be that he actually plays the games he reviews and is honest enough to say when he does not play them all the way through?

I have no problem with saying gaming companies do crap reviews.  Most writing on any subject is pure and utter crap.  Lord knows I've submitted to people pure and utter crapin the past as well!  That's not the problem.

My problem came more with the statement that "the game sucks" being tied to that any company that reviewed it positively is obviously a paid hack.  My general experience, those who state such things could never give a polished critque of something, and even the most generous editor would reject it as crap.  Or many won't get involved.

The part about Zero is more of what I said before, understanding that the fault with a lot of review companies is they can't exhaust a games playing the way a customer does.  They give "first impressions."  matter of fact, with POTBS, a common refrain is that the game is fun starting out but goes from bad to worse.  In other words, most companies will miss that when they do their reviews.

I have no problem with people giving full critques.  I just have little patience for people who think populist platitudes are supposed to be compelling.

Yes, Dana Masseys take on SWG was eminently positive, as was the one editorial about Dark and Light which basically called them a bunch of lazy slobs, and that they represented what was worst about the MMO industry.

Those were both editorials--not reviews.

Those were both editorials--not reviews.

And those get just as much if not more coverage

• bluealien1bluealien1 Member Posts: 526

If there are in fact good reviews on this game, they must have been paid to say good things.

Originally posted by bluealien1

If there are in fact good reviews on this game, they must have been paid to say good things.

I haven't seen a single bad review for it yet they had to shut down over half their servers just months after launch. Something is fishy.

I haven't seen a single bad review for it yet they had to shut down over half their servers just months after launch. Something is fishy.

The reason for shutting down the servers is easy, they launched with too many plain & simple.

Originally posted by DJXeon

The reason for shutting down the servers is easy, they launched with too many plain & simple.

I claim FLS lies, and that you are repeating their lie.

I was at preboarding and from 11 servers containing 44 factions barely 1/3 was light, majority was moderate, half dozen or so were heavy and few very heavy.

And that was before the time they introduced monthly high water mark and lowered population values. Population was there and filling most of the servers but left quite quickly due to poor quality of the product.

FLS uses spin but anybody with half a brain knows that - it is no different to any other mmorpg.

FLS uses spin but anybody with half a brain knows that - it is no different to any other mmorpg.

You don't say, genious. And even if it was the truth (and I claim it is not), it doesn't make it acceptable.

So FLS consolidated servers because:

a) they misclacualted intial load

b) they lost large number of players

I claim b) while a) is a spin to cover up disasterous performance.

PS

The point was that servers had population when the game launched. Nice derailing by taking out one line out of the post.

You don't say, genious. And even if it was the truth (and I claim it is not), it doesn't make it acceptable.

PS

The point was that servers had population when the game launched. Nice derailing by taking out one line out of the post.

Yes but why keep repeating it?

i have already given the true reasons why Potbs lost many subscribers on the other thread.

The key here is whether you beleive it will eventually be put right, it is certainly possible & Rusty is keen to make sure it will.

You have said yourself that subcribers may return so let's wait and see.

PS

i have already given the true reasons why Potbs lost many subscribers on the other thread.

The key here is whether you beleive it will eventually be put right, it is certainly possible & Rusty is keen to make sure it will.

Where did I say that, link please?

And even if I did i retract it now as I beleive the time passed and the product is broken beyond repair.

And I will keep repeating it so long as a fanbois of your ilk keep claiming otherwise. It really amuses me to see types like you arguing the simple truism that "game that closes 2/3 of its ervers within three motnhs of launch is in trouble".

But of course it is not in trouble, no, it will be just like EVE when FLS fix the whole truckload of problems. There was no problems to begin with really, the servers are consolidated because initial load was miscalculated.

Reminds me of Egon Krenz claiming how communism is fine in East Germany in 1990's, I can understand his motivation but I will be damned if I can understand what motivates fanbois.

PS

Where did I say that, link please?

And even if I did i retract it now as I beleive the time passed and the product is broken beyond repair.

And I will keep repeating it so long as a fanbois of your ilk keep claiming otherwise. It really amuses me to see types like you arguing the simple truism that "game that closes 2/3 of its ervers within three motnhs of launch is in trouble".

But of course it is not in trouble, no, it will be just like EVE when FLS fix the whole truckload of problems. There was no problems to begin with really, the servers are consolidated because initial load was miscalculated.

Reminds me of Egon Krenz claiming how communism is fine in East Germany in 1990's, I can understand his motivation but I will be damned if I can understand what motivates fanbois.

Forgive me for saying, but you are beginning to sound like a parrot!

i don't have the time to link your own posts lol.

Well, yes, since I have to deal with types like you there really isn't any other way.

I hope using short sentences and repating the facts often might eventually register but I doubt that.

You know, I do beleive one of the reason for a ton of your short garbage posts is to burry the argument under the debris. It is a nice try but if there is one thing that I agree with windbag called Russell Williams it is the simple fact forums don't make or break games.

Well, yes, since I have to deal with types like you there really isn't any other way.

I hope using short sentences and repating the facts often might eventually register but I doubt that.

You know, I do beleive one of the reason for a ton of your short garbage posts is to burry the argument under the debris. It is a nice try but if there is one thing that I agree with windbag called Russell Williams it is the simple fact forums don't make or break games.

A little tip Illrian, in english it is better to come strait to the point & shut up.

if not you risk the cummunity labeling you as a troll & moaner.

A little tip to you too, I couldn't care less what your opinion of my English is and I am certainlky not shutting up to the likes of you:)

And what do you risk pray tell? Being labeled as a dim witted fanboi? Oh well, each to its own.

I suspect you will continue to drone on and on, as usual, you don't have facts behind you but that didn't stop you before.