Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A game of hatred, anger and grief ?

WagrofWagrof Member Posts: 32

Coming back to EvE after a longer break - i don't recognise my old game anymore.

It has degenerated somehow, there is so much hate and anger everywhere.

People curse each other in local, 2 years old veterans ganking miners in highsec for no real reason, except for the grief itself.  I witnessed today like a rather new player, only some months in game, lost his his first mining barge, which he safed for quite a while,  in a 0.5, according to the convo in local, the attacker, a senior eve player, didn't gain anything, he just did it for the laugh.  Where has the maturity gone, wasn't this once a game with an average player age of 27 ??

So much hate on the forums, ranting, trolling, so much bitterness.

I don't understand, what happened to EvE ? Why all that negative vibes all of a sudden ?

Really sad to see what happens here.

Comments

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

hate is easier to put on ppl minds and now all got propaganda at lvl 5

BestSigEver :P

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449

Originally posted by Wagrof

Coming back to EvE after a longer break - i don't recognise my old game anymore.
    People curse each other in local, 2 years old veterans ganking miners in highsec for no real reason, except for the grief itself.  I witnessed today like a rather new player, only some months in game, lost his his first mining barge, which he safed for quite a while,  in a 0.5, according to the convo in local, the attacker, a senior eve player, didn't gain anything, he just did it for the laugh.  Where has the maturity gone, wasn't this once a game with an average player age of 27 ??
    I don't understand, what happened to EvE ? Why all that negative vibes all of a sudden ?

well, after all the dev-documented "antics"; nonstop player griefings shouldn't be too much of a shock.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695

Welcome to the era of the Goonswarm Jihad.  An era where a group of leet-tards got so tired of 0.0 that they continuously make alts for the specific task of ganking carebears in Empire space.  Not only that, but they, like the terrorist name implies, are so hell-bent on bringing anguish toward their "sworn enemy" that they only attack the most defenseless of players.  I expect CCP will do something in the near future to curb this lame practice.

Its pretty pathetic actually and I wouldn't be surprised if the members were investigated under the new EU laws about promoting and organizing terrorism online.

Last thing I would like to say before I get flamed by some of the regulars here, I personally believe CCP should do nothing other than put measures in that would allow some means for players to police this problem.  The current situation needs to be addressed by the players, but the current means *seem* lacking (although they may not be as lacking as I live in 0.0 and don't experience this problem).

• GarkanGarkan Member Posts: 552

What is this mythical EVE you speak off? there has always been smack and random ganks that's just how EVE is.

Currently playing:

EVE online (Ruining low sec one hotdrop at a time)

Gravity Rush,
    Dishonoured: The Knife of Dunwall.

(Waiting for) Metro: Last Light,
    Company of Heroes II.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507

Eve's just fine, you are over-exaggerating some sort of isolated incidents.  You don't get ganked in empire unless you screw up somehow, and in that case you get what you deserve as EVE is a harsh place.

Been playing for last 11 months and this EVE is the only world I know.  I have friends I hang with, we have means to exact retribution at our disposal, but I will concede atm the rules favor the gankers a bit too much atm, but I'm not really expecting CCP to change it too much.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TesinatoTesinato Member UncommonPosts: 222

It isn't as bad as your making it.  Granted, EvE is a very harsh world, but it isn't as bad as you say.  I will put money on it, that that newbie was mining all alone in a belt, someone switched his can, and he stole from it.  Because of that, he gets flagged as a thief and therefore more then likely killed.  Sadly, it is a tactic, and tends to happen alot these days.  It is the same as it was years ago, cept the killing.  People love stealing, and being pirates, and EvE gives them that avenue to do it.  I personally dislike pirates, but then again, I'm careful when I mine and most times, they walk away with nothing and get bored and leave me alone.  He probably didn't know any better and got the short end of the stick.  Such is life in EvE.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

A year or so ago they changed the wardec system, effectively making it too expensive to have multiple wardecs and sustain them. They did this as EVE was getting popular and CCP believed this change would help increase subscriptions, I quit myself.

So as a result suicide ganking seems to be on the rise in empire meaning even if you're in an NPC corp you aren't safe. Atleast with the old system NPC corps were a safe haven for those that didn't want to PvP or play in low sec.

I played EVE for over 2 years but believed that when CCP saw they could increase subs by reducing the PvP element in empier I left. Many think I over-reacted but I enjoyed fighting in empire through wardecs, and the increased cost meant I'd have to get another bot account to pay for it. Also the knock on effect of EVE's rise in popularity would be a reduction in the average age and mental age of the player. Out of curiosity what is the highest number of players logged in at one time and when was the last record made?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• Stumpy26Stumpy26 Member Posts: 189

Its a game where you can you can do what you want with no limitations, which brings out the worst in most of us . Although thankfully not everyone is like that.

• ObiyerObiyer Member Posts: 511

A game of hatred, anger and grief ?

Sort of like a good play. With me, the game doesn't have to be fun and jolly. Even if there is griefing and anger, and general negativity I can still enjoy myself. It shows that the game is still alive, even if it reincarnates itself into something that hibernates and has giant teeth. Hey, it's there, just be sure to bring an equally large gun.

Eve has been a double edged sword. I liked some aspects of it and enjoyed it enough to drop around 250+ USD. Would I go back? Maybe, depends on what I want to do. Probably not though, since I want to concentrate on my FPS roots. As a summary, I would like to say that even though the majority of the player base is negative and brutal doesn’t mean the game shares the same qualities. If anything, it’s an opportunity to make things better. There are organizations in Eve that have been trying their best to make it a reality such as Eve University and the Agony guys with their PvP training. Eve had, and still has a great bunch of people. I was proud to be a part of it, even if it was for a short amount of time.

• mercadermercader Member Posts: 81

If carebears want to make endless amounts of ISK in empire risk should exist. If I could be arsed getting sec status up I would go to Empire and try to use the suicide gank technique to get hulk pilots to pay ransom or go pop if they turn on their engines to align.

What goonswarm are doing is fine. Miners could easily avoid it but they don't have much idea of how to as they don't play in low sec regions or 0.0 where those precautions are required. Add to that even if I was to say..

Set goon standings to -10 and just watch local for them coming into your system, keep pre-aligned to a safespot or station, maybe go so far as to have an alt commit a criminal act in your belt to get CONCORD to sit there for a while as your security.

No one or not many would pay any attention as they all think their corner of high sec is safe until they get popped...not having read the forum posts giving details on how to avoid a gank some either take the advice or cry. The guys who cry need to think about playing a different MMORPG, because EVE is fine as it is.

And tbh my view on piracy is that we need to move into high sec. An abundance of targets in that area, no reason why pirate corps cannot evolve...

Most high sec corps have lax security on entrance, it would be so easy for a couple of guys to infiltrate, and either close the corp through POS theft or just war dec and force 'protection' money to be paid or close the corp down by making it impossible for them to continue. Could extend that to just infiltrating and hitting mining ops etc etc.

I predict a worse future for carebears tbh.

• BaxslashBaxslash Member UncommonPosts: 237

Ky. I disagree, Eve has gotten far more brutal of late, I have to agree with the OP.

And, yes, you can check me out ingame, I'm still playing, and, a 4 year player.

But, as I said, the game has become far more brutal, 2 years ago, you had a few hundred ore thiefs, while today, the number of loot/salvage/ore thieves has boomed to a few thousand, not only that, the number of smacktards has also increased.

People have certainly taken some of thier darkest mindsets into the game, I know from a conversation last night alone that about 6 or 7 were ganging up on 1 player, all because his "gear' wasn't adequate to play Eve.

I know of even 1 Corp. that has actually called a few 'Girl' gamers whores, and bitches, to get off Eve and back into the kitchen and bedrooms for thier men.

So, just from those few snippets, I've seen the lack of mannerism has indeed slipped in eve, no wonder the Devs/GMs have even taken a few liberties themselves. And, as for just saying its the Goonswarms mindset that, its fun to grief the new players, or, 'Carebears', trust me, its all the big alliances that are doing, all because they feel its Thier game, and, that ppl must play it the way they want you to play it :(

Some incidents you brought up Bax a isolated IMO. People who are dickheads with women are not attracted to EVE for some reason, it just happens to be that these fools decided  upon EVE. They could easily have decided upon another game.

The thing about some people ganging up because the others gear wasn't good enough to play EVE, again idiots, other games in the genre have a lot of elitists, it is part of this genre. EVE has more of them granted, and the main problem with EVE elitists is that they don't just think they are better at the game, they reckon EVE is a measure of intelligence which just further heightens their pathetic feeling of superiortity. On that note I just need to say EVE is harder than other games in the genre, but that doesn't say much.

As for griefing individual players, it is lame. I never kill a guy twice in a day let alone a few hours, or repeatedly. I think that is something that you can get help from the in game mods though?

Killing carebears is part of the game, we are allowed to do it, IMO as long as you do it without..

A) Smacking in local

B) Hitting the same guy repeatedly (I mean you can if you want, but in High-sec the amount of targets I see when I fly through in my money making alt is a joke, no need for it).

Then you are fine in my books, Goonswarm are well within their rights to do what they are doing.

The general thing with Goonswarm right overhyped anyway. It is a bit like the media trying to make you think you will get stabbed or mugged the minute you are outside at night in London, or go on a night bus, and they overhype 1 incident constantly for weeks.

No offense to anyone here, but if you play with half a brain, most times your not going to get blown up.  It isn't hard to watch your overview, or even local if you know an active pirate corp is about.  Autopilot is got to be the #1 cause of deaths.  So don't go afk, easy fix.  High sec can't have warp bubbles, or anything that can prevent you from landing 1-2k off a gate.  Granted, for some of the bigger ships, warping to the next gate may take a bit, but if your in that big of a ship, a few extra seconds can't be the factor in life or death.  As far as smacktalk, I can agree that I see it alot more then I used to back a few years ago, but does someone's else's retarted statement about being better then you, or stfu, or whatever it is the "leet" terms that are used matter.  If i worried what others called me, i'd be dead by now.  Honestly, most games seem to be this way anymore, everyone talks horrible, puts others down, makes fun and harasses.  Just so happens in eve, that it is completely PVP open, and therefore the next step in harassment is griefing.  Is it bad, not really.  Again, if your smart, these things never bother you.

• jmwiensjmwiens Member Posts: 6

I could not agree more with the original poster.  I've played this game on and off for 4'ish years.  The game play, graphics, and depth are truely awesome.  The community, however, is filled with vicious, cruel, gang-like thugs.  Not everybody is like this but there are enough to ruin the experience for the majority of us.

Look at the World of Warcraft community for the stats.  How many people prefer to play on their PvP servers?  Not many.  The majority of people don't enjoy non-consenual PvP.  CCP is a good company but they don't seem to get this fact.  They actually encourage this type of behavior inspite of the fact that the majority of Eve players who quit, quit for this very reason.

I know what the typical Eve response would be to this post.  Don't play the game then!  Well that's just a shame.  I WANT to play Eve.  I love the game and every aspect of it except the thugs who justify their behavior as "it's just part of the game!".

I'm all for risk in the game.  I don't mind if a pirate corners me and demands my cargo or ransoms me.  Unfortunately it's devolved way beyond that.  Now they kill you because they're bored.  Then they pod you because they can.  The game has become a haven for people like that...

It is a game ffs. Why shouldn't people destroy your ship if they are bored and pod you? Why not, what is so wrong with that, people losing their precious digital ships and crying like brats because they were too stupid to take precautions which would stop that, those peopl should not play this game

And you talk uttter rubbish about WoW servers, pvp servers have plenty of people on them, the majority of them were full and most needed server transfers or creation of new servers which themselves are now full.

Simple fact is EVE is a game which is pvp, anywhere anytime, there are consequences in high sec, but if the carebear population are too thick to take precaution (And I mean very stupid, because it is not hard it is common sense), then they may die. People coming on to the forums demanding the game change to suit them should go elsewhere, there are plenty of games offering no-risk.

'cruel thugs' grow up, have you heard yourself? It is a game get over it. If you are so stubborn as to not accept the game you say you love, and not to get some common sense to avoid being ganked in high sec, then you should not play it.

And if you are ganked in your uber battleship whil ratting by bored pirates? You have no money for a new ship? Sympathy? No, you shouldn't (goes for everyone), be flying in a ship you cannot replace, learn the hard way.

The majority of whiners are just pathetic individuals who want everything made nice and easy and risk free. I can reflect that on society as a whole tbh.

Thank you.  I believe you've made my point quite well. 

Well said Mercader.  Well said.  If you love eve, then you love everything it stands for, everything that has been for years.  I will personally go out on a limb here and say I'm a carebear.  I roam high-sec, never enter low sec or 0.0.  I do mining, missions, and even do production and trade work.  The conflicts are there, most of the time.  We have 2 or 3 corps around where I'm at who try and mess with my corp a good bit, either via smacktalking, or coming out and stealing ore.  We have had one set attempt sadly to gank us, but they weren't prepared for us to be tanked well enough to have it take long enough for concord to show up.  It has been the way of EvE life for years.  No need to change it.  You have to keep it interesting, or there is no reason to play.

Saw that little one liner coming. Wrong.

This is a game, you are overreacting, calling people 'thugs' for destroying your internet spaceship.

Next point, you fail to understand that it is part of the game mechanic for players to be able to blow people up if they want, they take the consequences of that. People should never and will never be allowed to be immune from pvp, you think you love this game, but you want to change the most fundamental aspect of it because you dont like it?

You don't like this game you like the idea of a space MMORPG and as no other softer version is out, like many, you play EVE 'on and off', and tend to make up the loud whinging majority, who, being selfish and requiring everything to be made easy and risk free, need to cry until EVERY game on the market tailored for them.

I was calling the carebears pathetic, the whingers pathetic, they are unwilling to even try to adapt to survive (not hard in high-sec) for the game they mostly claim to love. You jmwiens are a prime example of that. And in  the general pathetic nature of whingers such as yourself you call me a 'thug'. Laughable.

Re-read what you posted and get back to me.

• graillgraill Member Posts: 257

damn, where you have you been? from day one eve was full of these folks, your just now noticing? the play hasnt changed one bit. some folks are still asses, some folks still grief for laughs, some folks still swear in any chat. it does seem odd your just noticing this or are you just creating a thread to stir up debate?

or maybe you were in a low sec corp back then that had hi standards of conduct, next to none exist today. 

can you smell that?!!...............there is nothing quite like it.....................the smell of troll in the morning............i love that smell.

• graillgraill Member Posts: 257
    Originally posted by mercader

Saw that little one liner coming. Wrong.
    This is a game, you are overreacting, calling people 'thugs' for destroying your internet spaceship.
    Next point, you fail to understand that it is part of the game mechanic for players to be able to blow people up if they want, they take the consequences of that. People should never and will never be allowed to be immune from pvp, you think you love this game, but you want to change the most fundamental aspect of it because you dont like it?
    You don't like this game you like the idea of a space MMORPG and as no other softer version is out, like many, you play EVE 'on and off', and tend to make up the loud whinging majority, who, being selfish and requiring everything to be made easy and risk free, need to cry until EVERY game on the market tailored for them.
    I was calling the carebears pathetic, the whingers pathetic, they are unwilling to even try to adapt to survive (not hard in high-sec) for the game they mostly claim to love. You jmwiens are a prime example of that. And in  the general pathetic nature of whingers such as yourself you call me a 'thug'. Laughable.
    Re-read what you posted and get back to me.

saw this gem, had to type something. heh, regardless of what was typed about you (honestly, i never read it) aside from the game itself, your response clearly indicates the type of person you are, have fun, cheers

can you smell that?!!...............there is nothing quite like it.....................the smell of troll in the morning............i love that smell.

• Ascension08Ascension08 Member Posts: 1,980

Since I haven't been in Eve for more than 21 days (trial) I enjoyed it, and probably because I was low level, I didn't experience too much of the community. I was just fine, people were actually pretty helpful (answering questions and such). Rookie channel ftw?

If all the stuff you claim is true, well, there needs to be a game for everyone. Pink fluffy games where people hug and hold hands, and games set in the brutal darkness of space, where there's no one to watch over you but yourself, and though there may be rules and a "general" code of conduct, I'm glad there's a game where people can do what they want just because they want to.

'Course, take my opinion lightly, cuz I'm no expert.

--------------------------------------
    A human and an Elf get captured by Skaven. The rat-men are getting ready to shoot the first hostage with Dwarf-made guns when he yells, "Earthquake!" The naturally nervous Skaven run and hide from the imaginary threat. He escapes. The Skaven regroup and bring out the Elf. Being very smart, the Elf has figured out what to do. When the Skaven get ready to shoot, the Elf, in order to scare them, yells, "Fire!"

Order of the White Border.

It is a game ffs. Why shouldn't people destroy your ship if they are bored and pod you? Why not, what is so wrong with that, people losing their precious digital ships and crying like brats because they were too stupid to take precautions which would stop that, those peopl should not play this game
    And you talk uttter rubbish about WoW servers, pvp servers have plenty of people on them, the majority of them were full and most needed server transfers or creation of new servers which themselves are now full.
    Simple fact is EVE is a game which is pvp, anywhere anytime, there are consequences in high sec, but if the carebear population are too thick to take precaution (And I mean very stupid, because it is not hard it is common sense), then they may die. People coming on to the forums demanding the game change to suit them should go elsewhere, there are plenty of games offering no-risk.
    'cruel thugs' grow up, have you heard yourself? It is a game get over it. If you are so stubborn as to not accept the game you say you love, and not to get some common sense to avoid being ganked in high sec, then you should not play it.
    And if you are ganked in your uber battleship whil ratting by bored pirates? You have no money for a new ship? Sympathy? No, you shouldn't (goes for everyone), be flying in a ship you cannot replace, learn the hard way.
    The majority of whiners are just pathetic individuals who want everything made nice and easy and risk free. I can reflect that on society as a whole tbh.

Well I admire your passion.  You obviously feel quite strongly about the PvP aspect of Eve.  I'm glad you found a game that you really enjoy and that caters to your personality.

I'll stick by my "cruel thugs" comment.  Yes it's a game but people that behave like that still ruin it for people like me.  I play games for enjoyment and escape.  When people behave that way, even in a game, it's too much like real life.  I don't find that enjoyable.

• Ascension08Ascension08 Member Posts: 1,980
    Originally posted by jmwiens

Well I admire your passion.  You obviously feel quite strongly about the PvP aspect of Eve.  I'm glad you found a game that you really enjoy and that caters to your personality.

I'll stick by my "cruel thugs" comment.  Yes it's a game but people that behave like that still ruin it for people like me.  I play games for enjoyment and escape.  When people behave that way, even in a game, it's too much like real life.  I don't find that enjoyable.

Then MMOs aren't for you friend. There's alot of different gaming genres out there, but a genre which involves other people is obviously going to resemble real life. Because real life has other people. That means the good AND the "bad".

--------------------------------------
    A human and an Elf get captured by Skaven. The rat-men are getting ready to shoot the first hostage with Dwarf-made guns when he yells, "Earthquake!" The naturally nervous Skaven run and hide from the imaginary threat. He escapes. The Skaven regroup and bring out the Elf. Being very smart, the Elf has figured out what to do. When the Skaven get ready to shoot, the Elf, in order to scare them, yells, "Fire!"

Order of the White Border.

• NatttasNatttas Member Posts: 49

Its not just eve, not just in games, not just online, its everywhere, welcome to the degrade of society, been goin on for awile, can yall smell it yet, I do, revolution is coming and I can't wait to wake up to the smell of buring flesh from the riots.  revolution=population control among other things wich we badly need.

• ThunderousThunderous Member Posts: 1,152

Comes with the territory.  EVE is a good game and has harsh griefing by the nature of the design.  The only way to get over it is to get better.  I don't see any problem with that.

Tecmo Bowl.