Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Computer are you guys running on?

xpyrofuryxxpyrofuryx Member CommonPosts: 1,587

List the computers you have

(1) My Main Computer

Intel Q6600 Quad-Core @3.4Ghz

4GB DDR2-800mhz Crucial Ballistix

2x SLI nVidia 9600GT's 512mbs (these in SLI are faster than a 3870X2 or 9800GTX)

500GB (2x250GB) in RAID 0 S-ATA

XClio Windtunnel Case and Xigmatek CPU Cooler

(2) My Main Laptop

AMD Athlon 64 X2 TK-55 @1.8Ghz Dual-Core

3GB DDR2 667mhz

nVidia 7600GT Graphics Card

250GB S-ATA Hard Drive

(3) Secondary Desktop (runs suprisingly well)

AMD Athlon 64 4000+ @2.6Ghz Single-Core

1GB DDR 400mhz G.Skill

nVidia GeForce 7300GT 256mb

250GB Western Digital S-ATA HD

Water-Cooling Solution (homemade)

(4) Crappy Computer I dont use anymore except music storage

AMD Athlon XP 2100+

1GB (4x256mb) DDR 333mhz

Integrated nVidia 6150LE GPU

480GB (160GB+320GB) IDE Hard Drives

Comments

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

It's clearly about what you use it for 

AMD Athlon 3400+

Nvidea 6200 (512 VRAM)

1 GB ram 333 MHZ

and a 80 GB hard drive.  running at something.

Pretty much not made for gameing just a $500 piece of optimization for getting me through college.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• Varlok91Varlok91 Member Posts: 396

Mine are in my sig, I don't play games anymore on the computer (don't play much games in general really) so I am in no rush to build a new one. They suit me fine for what I do.

--------------------------------
    Desktop - AMD 8450 Tri Core, 3 gigs of DDR2 800 RAM, ATI HD 3200 Graphics, Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
    Laptop (Dell Latitude E6400) - Intel P8400, 2 GIGs of RAM, Intel X4500, Windows XP Professional

• unconformedunconformed Member Posts: 700

quad core @ 2.4ghz

8600 gts nvidia

2 gig

24 inch widescreen

chips, dips chains & whips.

• goneglockingoneglockin Member UncommonPosts: 706

I'll bite-

Rig:

Coolmax CUG 700W modular PSU

Abit AW9D-MAX mobo

E6600 C2D @ 3.2 GHz w/ Arctic Freezer 7 pro cooler. (Idle 29-31C)

2 GB DDR2 800 @ 4-4-4-12

MSI 8800GT 512MB OC

1.5TB of storage and a 5.25" to 3.25" conversion bay w/ 120mm fan.  It holds 3 of my 5 drives.

Running good old XP.

Laptop:

Dell Inspiron 1520

T7300 C2D (4mb cache,  2ghz)

8600GTM vid card

2.5Gb DDR2 667

I got it for 700 bucks off the Dell refurbished site.  : )

Hope you got your things together. Hope you are quite prepared to die. Looks like we're in for nasty weather. ... There's a bad moon on the rise.

• AirspellAirspell Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,391

GO GO E-PEEN THREAD !!!

• baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

I have a dual core something or other with 1gb of RAM in the office downstairs.

It has no gamers card.

Then I have an Athlon 2100 XP with 1GB of RAM and a 5600 for dukebox and download duties.

The I have a 2000, a 2200, a 2400 and a 2800 Celeron for games terminals. They all have 1+ GB RAM and gaming video cards by Nvidia. A 6800 Ultra, a 7600 a 6600 and 21 inch screens.

Then I have my primary games machine which I use when I am alone, which is a 3800 Athlon single core. 2 GB's of RAM and 2 7900 Geforces in SLI with a 22 inch screen.

I'm currently overdue 2 replacements. A server, I'll probably buy an Athlon 6400+ and 2-4 GB's of RAM and stick a 9600 card in it. I can build that for under £350 and it will not only work as a games terminal but also host some pretty big multiplayer games online.

I also have the money put by for a new flight simulator. I want to buy a 9800Gx2 card and some sort of processor to go with it, but currently I have been unable to find a motherboard that supports PCI Express 2.0. I'd like to run Vista Business with it and also finally make the jump to triple screen gaming with a Matrox Triplehead To Go.

I have a bit more money set aside that nags me to buy 3 projectors so I can have my entire wall as my triple display. But I think this is going to be a fantasy for a while longer.  I can't face spending all my spare cash and being skint afterwards.

• KhuzarrzKhuzarrz Member Posts: 578

Originally posted by xpyrofuryx

(1) My Main Computer
    Intel Q6600 Quad-Core @3.4Ghz
    4GB DDR2-800mhz Crucial Ballistix
    2x SLI nVidia 9600GT's 512mbs (these in SLI are faster than a 3870X2 or 9800GTX)
    500GB (2x250GB) in RAID 0 S-ATA
    XClio Windtunnel Case and Xigmatek CPU Cooler

Identical rig to this, except my Q6600 sits nicely at 3.6Ghz, and 4.0 for benching (ok, so some of us like to live on the wild side ;) hahaha!). Cooled only on air, with a Thermalright Ultra eXtreme 120 and a Silenx Pro 96CFM fan (pretty sure I've got those names right :p). Only running the one 8800GTS 512 though; most of the games that I play don't support SLi, so I figured it was a better choice, as it outperforms the 8800GTXs and the 9600's, and in some games, even the 9800's, standalone. Especially in RTS actually; not sure what it is about the new chips, but I get double the FPS most of the time playing RTS compared to my friend's rig (I built it for him; identical PC, just with a 8800GTX instead of the 8800GTS).

Have about 14 PCs other than this, but none really worth mentioning. My E-peen would probably shrink at the thought of their stats ;)

Do have my Macbook though. I don't care what gamers have to say about them, it runs better than any computer I've ever used on windows, and it's unbeatable for audio (I use it primarily for Logic Pro recording my drums/guitar/keys). Can't ever remember the stats; it's the top of the line white one :) Lol! Also, I have to say, it actually runs games just fine tbh. Bootcamp/Parallels give me no problem with games that haven't been converted (aside from obvious issues all laptops have with some DX stuff because of shoddy onboard graphics), but most games I just run right on the Mac partition with no problems at all: HL2, CS1.6 and CS:S, X3, and the classics; diablo 2, starcraft and so on. That's plenty of games to keep me busy when I'm stranded with only my Macbook ^^

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

• Intel Q6600 Quad-Core ~2.4Ghz
    • 2GB RAM
    • nVidia GeForce 8800 GT
    • 500GB Harddrive
    • A case that's supposed to be good...
    That's what I managed to make out based on my minor knowledge of computers and memory of my parts.

• asupermaneasupermane Member Posts: 682
    my pc:

Phenom 9500 at 2.2 ghz
    3gb Wintec Ram
    8800 GT OC BFG
    120gb hdd
    530W Mod Raidmax PSU
    XP 32bit

Originally posted by Godliest

Intel Q6600 Quad-Core ~2.4Ghz
    2GB RAM
    nVidia GeForce 8800 GT
    500GB Harddrive
    A case that's supposed to be good...

That's what I managed to make out based on my minor knowledge of computers and memory of my parts.

Overclock that Q6600 already! Even on stock cooling it'll do 3.2-3.6 with no probs!

• AkaJetsonAkaJetson Member Posts: 1,167

Windows Vista

?

• baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

Why overclock?

It just degrades the life expectancy of the chip and the reliability of it's calculations.

What's the point? Are you actually using any software that needs more CPU power than a 6600 provides?

The performance of your games remains unchanged. Your electricity bill goes up.

On the other hand if you do a lot of data crunching. If you leave you computer for hours encrypting and decrypting files or need to get an extra 50 AI's on your game server, I see where you are coming from.

Mostly however I think people just do it for bragging rights.

Originally posted by baff

Why overclock?
    It just degrades the life expectancy of the chip and the reliability of it's calculations.

What's the point? Are you actually using any software that needs more CPU power than a 6600 provides?

On the other hand if you do a lot of data crunching. If you leave you computer for hours encrypting and decrypting files or need to get an extra 50 AI's on your game server, I see where you are coming from.

Baff, that's an obvious observation. It's an E-peen thread. Come on, bragging rights are where it's at. Although saying performance is unchanged isn't true, I score way higher on benchmarks with my overclocked settings than stock, and those benchmarks directly relate to FPS and load times. I don't bother clocking my graphics card except for taking the actual benchmarks though, as I honestly don't need 70FPS instead of 65FPS, but those load times and such are important.

Also, I was under the impression that regardless of the actual power usage of the PC, it always drains the same from your electricity bill? Or have I just totally undermined modern physics? :P

And really, if you're not planning on replacing your PC in 5 years, you're not the type of person who would benefit from an overclock, and I've never had an overclocked chip die in less than that. Not at all convinced by this 'damages the chip' thing.

• xpyrofuryxxpyrofuryx Member CommonPosts: 1,587

The amount of electric it takes to run a computer is based on the parts its used. its not uniform throughout different computers. Its really the amount of wattage your PSU is using (not the watt-peak). So if you're using some power hungry things in your machine the wattage will go up in your PSU requiring more electric from the outlet. So having energy efficient parts will decrease the electricity used (and therefor bought).

My main machine is pretty energy efficient. The Q6600 is fairly efficient (for a quad-core) and although it is overclocked i have speedstep on so it is running at a cut down speed when it doenst need full power, increasing energy efficiency and the life-span of the chip. Also the 9600GTs are pretty good too with electricity.

• killxkillx Member Posts: 8

lol, I don't normaly post, but this is one I just couldn't  resist, as its obvious I have way to much cash, and no bills (gotta love high school)

C2D e6600

8800GTX  SLI(one BFG, one Evga)

Evga 680i-SLI

4Gb Corsair dominator''s pc-8500

cooler master 850W PSU

NZXT Nemesis elite Case

all water cooled by a Koolance Exos 2

an yet to be over clocked as thats just way to pointless, and a waste if anything fries

• Varlok91Varlok91 Member Posts: 396

Originally posted by killx

lol, I don't normaly post, but this is one I just couldn't  resist, as its obvious I have way to much cash, and no bills (gotta love high school)

C2D e6600
    Evga 680i-SLI
    cooler master 850W PSU
    NZXT Nemesis elite Case

an yet to be over clocked as thats just way to pointless, and a waste if anything fries

Your realize that since your graphics cards are being bottlenecked by the non-overclocked CPU right?

I am sure you get fine performance in games, just you could have saved a few hundred dollars by not purchasing the second 8800GTX, as I am sure one 8800GTX would suffice.

This is assuming you are not running at a super high resolution though.

--------------------------------
    Desktop - AMD 8450 Tri Core, 3 gigs of DDR2 800 RAM, ATI HD 3200 Graphics, Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
    Laptop (Dell Latitude E6400) - Intel P8400, 2 GIGs of RAM, Intel X4500, Windows XP Professional

• CoconautCoconaut Member Posts: 52

Originally posted by Khuzarrz

Originally posted by baff

Why overclock?

Baff, that's an obvious observation. It's an E-peen thread. Come on, bragging rights are where it's at. Although saying performance is unchanged isn't true, I score way higher on benchmarks with my overclocked settings than stock, and those benchmarks directly relate to FPS and load times. I don't bother clocking my graphics card except for taking the actual benchmarks though, as I honestly don't need 70FPS instead of 65FPS, but those load times and such are important.

Also, I was under the impression that regardless of the actual power usage of the PC, it always drains the same from your electricity bill? Or have I just totally undermined modern physics? :P

And really, if you're not planning on replacing your PC in 5 years, you're not the type of person who would benefit from an overclock, and I've never had an overclocked chip die in less than that. Not at all convinced by this 'damages the chip' thing.

I totally agree. The real question is why not overclock. I gain on average 5- 10 fps better in games, my temps have hardly gone up and I will replace my current cpu well before it burns out.

As for reliability of calculations I find that interesting. If you could find something about that i'd love to read it as i've never heard that before.(btw I'm not being sarcastic i really do find that interesting.)

Edit: sorry I didn't post my specs didn't want to be completely off-topic so here they are;

cpu- intel e8400 at 4Ghz

memory- Geil ddr2 800 4gb

MB-  asus p5k-e

hdd- 200gb seagate that is starting to show its age and is soon to be replaced with a wd raptor

video- ati 3850 with a 3870 on the way

os- windows xp pro

monitor- 17'' lcd that is also showing it's age and is soon to be replaced with an acer 22'' widescreen.

C2D e6600
    Evga 680i-SLI
    cooler master 850W PSU
    NZXT Nemesis elite Case

You are bottlenecking the crap out of your computer, either get a better CPU or overclock the one you got

oh I know itsb ottle necked like crazy, I was going to get one of the nice, new, and cheep yorkfield quad cores that where supposed to work with the 680i. however that was a big load of bull... so I am either going to have to scrimp and save to get a new mobo and chip, or OC the current chip,  something I wont do untill I get better cooling.. becuse unfortunatly 2 8800GTX's create stupid ammounts of heat, so much that I can cool them but not that CPU.

and yes I am running at a some what hight resolution, I got a benq G2400 monitor, so I'm running at 1920x1200. so the second card does make a diference

oh I know itsb ottle necked like crazy, I was going to get one of the nice, new, and cheep yorkfield quad cores that where supposed to work with the 680i. however that was a big load of bull... so I am either going to have to scrimp and save to get a new mobo and chip, or OC the current chip,  something I wont do untill I get better cooling.. becuse unfortunatly 2 8800GTX's create stupid ammounts of heat, so much that I can cool them but not that CPU.

and yes I am running at a some what hight resolution, I got a benq G2400 monitor, so I'm running at 1920x1200. so the second card does make a diference

Upgrading to a new motherboard from what you have would be stupid. The Yorkfield CPUs are good but hell a Kentsfield offers equivalent performance (unless your OCing and have 1066mhz RAM, in which case you get like a 10% performance gain) So just get either a Q6600 or E8400. Those chips (especially OCd, but even if not) will keep up with SLI 8800GTXs. Now if your looking to go for Nahalem then looking for a new motherboard might be worth it, otherwise just go for a Q6600 or E8400

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

computer currently connected to the internet (dont ask, its a long story)

CPU: Pentium 4 2.8 GHz

RAM: 1gig

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 LE (this is the thing that keeps this computer together )

HD: it says 144gig but it really was only around 100 gig (due to windows)

my "beast" which is not yet connected to the net (long story)

CPU: Intel 6600 quad core

RAM: 3gig (have not figured out how to get the 4th stick to work)

Video Card: XFX alpha dog 8800GT 512mb (gonna get 2 for SLI, specifically for AoC )

HD: 2 320gb hard drives so i never run out of space ever again

as i said the beast is not yet hooked up to the net but i hope when i change providers to Internode (low ping gaming) i will finally connect it to the net and play AoC on decent settings.  my other computer is now 4 years old and can still play all my games (on low settings) its finest achievement was medium settings on LOTRO without blowing up .  both are used mostly for gaming

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

buying a kentsfield would be kinda dumb, from my point of view, since for like 2-300 more I could get the new mobo, and a yorkfield and have better performance especialy since I do have 1066 ram. and with the resolution cranked and the AA on, the second 8800 does make a hell of a difrence so its no matter to me anyways. until I get to the point that I cant play any game on high (short of crysis) then I'll buy more. though hopefully in a week or two I'll be OCing my chip so it wont matter anyways

buying a kentsfield would be kinda dumb, from my point of view, since for like 2-300 more I could get the new mobo, and a yorkfield and have better performance especialy since I do have 1066 ram. and with the resolution cranked and the AA on, the second 8800 does make a hell of a difrence so its no matter to me anyways. until I get to the point that I cant play any game on high (short of crysis) then I'll buy more. though hopefully in a week or two I'll be OCing my chip so it wont matter anyways

I dont think Yorkfield would be much an advantage at all over a kenstfield unless you didnt have to upgrade a motherboard in which case the 10% performance would be worth the little extra cash, but I think you would benefit greatly from a Nehalem. Wrap your mind around that. 4gigs of RAM, SLI 8800GTXs, new chipset mobo, AND now an Octo-Core 45nm CPU. My god thatd be the shit.

• Intel Q6600 quad-core

nVidia 8800GTS 640MB

4GB (actually 3.25, lol) of RAM

2TB of disk space spread out over 4x 500GB SATA2 drives (I loves my BT)

BenQ G2400 24" LCD display

...all ready for AoC...mwahahaha

• RipperLordRipperLord Member Posts: 58

Case: Antec Nine Hundred

Mobo: ASUS Maximus Formula

CPU: Q6600 @ 3.0ghz

RAM: 4gb of DDR2

GFX Card: HD3870 (saving up for the 2 x HD4870x2 release)

HDD: Maxtor 250gb 7200RPM (not a storage nut, motto: performance over capacity)

PSU: CoolerMaster 650W

oh and I've got the SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeGamer