Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wife and I just picked up the game...

highblurhighblur Member Posts: 55

We had a few questions;

What is a great combo for two players?

What are two great raiding classes?

Can an Iksar, naturally "evil" switch over to become "good" and retain their class choice, or does one have to choose the "good" class options once 20'sh?

Any other advice would be great, we're really anticipating what's to come~  game looks beautiful and I was always a big fan of EQ Lore.

Thanks in advance~

Comments

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

I cant really comment on good duo's in EQ.  If you're familiar with how classes cooperate in MMO's then you shouldnt have a problem figuring out what makes a good duo.   Theres just so many classes in EQ2 and its hard to make those suggestions.

As far as an Iksar (evil) going to qeynos (good).  Yes, its possible through a series of quests.  What you need to know ahead of time is once you complete the betrayal quest (which is what it is called) you will lose all of you skill enhancements (adepts, apprentice etc.) so you may not want to spend a whole lot of money enhancing your skills.

keep in mind, the betrayal quest is fairly lengthy and involved.  it may help if you have assistance from someone once you become exiled from your starter city.  I really enjoy the betrayal quest.  Ive done it 4 times.  3 of those times was before they redid the quest back before echoes of fedwer.

also, if your class is evily aligned such as a shadowknight, when you complete the betrayal you will become a paladin.  There are several neutral aligned classes you can pick from if you want. 

heres a betrayal walkthrough

http://www.eq2.tentonhammer.com/index.php?module=ContentExpress&func=display&ceid=943

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Iksar can go "good" but you will lose your class choice

--   unless you are a druid or sorcerer or bard or warrior

eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Class

good info for where to go at what level

eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Solo_Timelines

• HexxeityHexxeity Member Posts: 848

Any duo that contains a healer will do very well.

Even two healers can be great if one of them is somewhat DPS oriented, such as Fury.

• SnipanSnipan Member CommonPosts: 184

I remember i did the betrayal quest with my dark elf assassin. First you become a refuge, and your "home town" is a cave in thundering steps. When i realized that i had to change profession to become a member of Qeynos, i changed my mind and stayed as refuge. I could enter Qeynos and do most things except sell and buy stuff, but what i could not do there i could do in the refuge cave. Usually the Qeynos guards pulled their swords when they saw me, and every npc used to say stuff like "how DARE you come here!?", but they never attacked. I think it was even possible to join a guild in Qeynos. I never found any reason to do the final part of the betrayal quest.

Originally posted by Snipan

I remember i did the betrayal quest with my dark elf assassin. First you become a refuge, and your "home town" is a cave in thundering steps. When i realized that i had to change profession to become a member of Qeynos, i changed my mind and stayed as refuge. I could enter Qeynos and do most things except sell and buy stuff, but what i could not do there i could do in the refuge cave. Usually the Qeynos guards pulled their swords when they saw me, and every npc used to say stuff like "how DARE you come here!?", but they never attacked. I think it was even possible to join a guild in Qeynos. I never found any reason to do the final part of the betrayal quest.

were you able to take qeynos quests or freeport quests?  curious about writs also and purchasing things from the city merchant, was it possible to earn SP and buy armor and other guild/city faction items?

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."
  • SnipanSnipan Member CommonPosts: 184

I haven´t played since a month after the release of Echoes of Feydwer, so I don´t remember exactly every detail. But as i remember, the refuge cave hold all the necessary city stuff, like a bazaar, place for crafting and training, a bank, etc. I cant remember how it worked with the bazaar, if my stuff showed up in the Qeynos auction house or not, or if i simply muled over my goods to one of my alts and sold it that way. I can still se the picture for my eyes how i put up some crafted rare shields and bows in the cave bazaar and sold some of them. However trading was no problem for me. We also had the most crafting professions represented in the guild, so i could get crafted items that way too. I´m sure that i could enter Qeynos crafting instances and even buy recipes etc, and i crafted some items there. I think they made it so that you should be able to stay as refugee without too much disadvantage. There was no chance to hire a room at the inn, but i had a horse, so i guess i got that one in Qeynos (cant recall any stables in the refugee cave, and i ran by foot when doing the betrayal quests). I think I was able to pick guild quests, but i´m not completely sure. In Freeport on the other hand, if the guards spoted me they put on the hard gloves, as if i had been a Qeynosian. Things may have changed since i played, but i hope what i said is still correct. Sorry for bad/strange grammar.

• highblurhighblur Member Posts: 55

Awesome information, just what I was looking for, Thank all!

More questions have popped up... we are in a very high end raiding guild in WoW and wanted to know what we could expect for raiding.

Is it right that a lot of guilds do older raids to gain AA? (or other reasons)  We want to see all of the game and not skip to the end.  I played EQ1 and want to share with my wife downing Nagafen, Lady Vox and the like - is that possible?

What are raids like?  How many people in one?  Is it a gear-gateway concept, where one has to complete/gather equipment from the prior encounters just to step into the next?

What are some helpful hints to increasing FPS?

An opinion-based question - do you like the new models more or less?  How well do they blend into the enviroment beyond the newbie areas?

How is the Lore?  It seems like EQ2 did an amazing job bringing back many old places ~ I love how Unrest can survive a cataclysm but the remaining world is torn asunder. giggle~

We're getting very excited about this game~

In response to a combo team I believe I might be choosing Dark Elf (SK or Inquisitor) and switching to Good faction (Pal or Templar), and my wife is thinking along the lines of Summoner, Fury, Wizard or any sort of strong dps class.  Any suggestions on races or gameplay?  How are these classes for raids?

Thanks again =)

• HollyWeberHollyWeber Member UncommonPosts: 43

More questions have popped up... we are in a very high end raiding guild in WoW and wanted to know what we could expect for raiding.

There is alot of raid content in EQ2. I don't have any raid level characters (my highest level is 66) but my guild used to raid 3 nights a week, sometimes more depending, and it was always very organized and usually ran pretty smoothly. If you get into a good guild, then raiding -should- be fun.

Is it right that a lot of guilds do older raids to gain AA? (or other reasons)  We want to see all of the game and not skip to the end.  I played EQ1 and want to share with my wife downing Nagafen, Lady Vox and the like - is that possible?

Again, I haven't done any raiding myself, so I don't know what specific mobs there are for raids.

What are raids like?  How many people in one?  Is it a gear-gateway concept, where one has to complete/gather equipment from the prior encounters just to step into the next?

The only question here I can answer is there can be up to 24 people in a raid. That's four groups with six players each. You'll also probably want Ventrilo or Team Speak if you don't already have one or both.

An opinion-based question - do you like the new models more or less?  How well do they blend into the enviroment beyond the newbie areas?

I love the models, although there are a few things I'd like to see different but for the most part, I'm very happy with them and how they fit in with things.

How is the Lore?  It seems like EQ2 did an amazing job bringing back many old places ~ I love how Unrest can survive a cataclysm but the remaining world is torn asunder. giggle~

For the most part, they did a really good job on the lore of EQ 2. There are tons and tons of quests and it's really fun to go and see some of the old EQ areas, but to see how different they are now in EQ2, like all the Faydwer zones, but they still have Orc Hill and Crushbone (which brings back very fond memories)

In response to a combo team I believe I might be choosing Dark Elf (SK or Inquisitor) and switching to Good faction (Pal or Templar), and my wife is thinking along the lines of Summoner, Fury, Wizard or any sort of strong dps class.  Any suggestions on races or gameplay?  How are these classes for raids?

You can pick any race, it doesn't really influence stats like it did in EQ1. Of course evil races can't chose "good" aligned classes, but you can make an Ogre an assassin, which is kind of funny to see. In EQ1, race affected stats in a significant way, so you saw more Erudite/High Elf/Gnome casters, more Barbarian/Ogre/Troll melee classes because the stats were better for those classes, but in EQ2 race doesn't really impact class so it's pretty much up to whatever you like the look of the most.

Thanks again =)

Originally posted by highblur

Thanks again =)

If you're serious about raiding, Id opt for the Inquisitor.  Definitely not a shadowknight, I think Paladins fall into this also.

You might want to post more of these questions in the class forums on the official EQ2 forum site.  People can be pretty picky about the classes they choose for raids.  I know first hand how difficult it is to fill a role as a shadowknight in just a general group, much less a raid group.

• quaikyquaiky Member Posts: 566

about the classes for raiding. if you plan to gte into hardcore raiding then tank classes will probably will have it very hard. in eq2 most raids only have one Maintank and 1-2 Offtanks, and in the big raiding guilds these are allready filled. If you look at which classesraiding guild look for most time then its mostly bards (dirge, troub), enchanters  (illusionist, coercer),  some  healer classes especially clerics(templar/inq) and shamans(defiler/mystic), and sometimes mages/scouts for dps (but which in special depends a lot on time).

about raiding older content, taht happens from time to time, but mostly in more casual guilds so if you want to do taht then you prob must look for a guild that likes to revisit these things. most guilds are currently mainly busy with the new content.

most raids are 4 groups, but there are a few 2 group raids too. in the lvl 80 raids there are different tiers, you can access the 3 tier 1 and the 2 t2 zones from start but 2 of the final bosses of the t1 zones drop onecharge items that are a big help for the t2 zone bosses. for t3 and t4 zones you need all characters to be flagged by killing all of the lower tier bosses. (that part makes it very hard for the more casual guilds to progress into vesshans peak).

• lomillerlomiller Member Posts: 1,810
    I’d go with a swashbuckler paired with and inquisitor or mystic. You can respect the swash at 80, or ever betray to brigand.  You could just play brigand the whole way but swash make better tanks.

Mystic and Inquisitor both have good DPS if you go with a melee spec and are desired for raiding.  The Mystic could also betray to defiler at 80, as defilers tend to be in shorter supply.  
  • bahamut1bahamut1 Member Posts: 614

Originally posted by lomiller

I’d go with a swashbuckler paired with and inquisitor or mystic. You can respect the swash at 80, or ever betray to brigand.  You could just play brigand the whole way but swash make better tanks.

Mystic and Inquisitor both have good DPS if you go with a melee spec and are desired for raiding.  The Mystic could also betray to defiler at 80, as defilers tend to be in shorter supply.  

QFE

If you start evil, go brigand/defiler, then if you betray you'll end up swashy/mystic.

"Granted thinking for yourself could be considered a timesink of shorter or longer duration depending on how smart..or how dumb you are."

• bahamut1bahamut1 Member Posts: 614
    Originally posted by highblur

It's pretty much the same. WoW is a bit faster pace, while EQ2 is a bit more strategic. But all in all not a whole lot of difference.
    A hardcore raiding guild will not raid older content. Their primary focus will be newer raids and contesteds. Casual raiding guilds will do older content as their primary focus is just to have fun and do stuff together.
    Raids are X2, X3, and X4 (number of groups, anywhere from 12-24 people), and in T8 we have tiered raids. Tier1 and tier2 pretty much anyone can go and test their mettle. Tier3 requires beating the bosses from tier2, tier4 from tier3, and tier5 is IN tier4, so not much of a choice there.
    As far as needing the equipment, it's all perspective as some of the best items in the game come from solo/group quests. It has a LOT more to do with skill than equipment. While you will get some better/nice equipment from raiding, it's not the end all/be all.
    Particle effects, shadows and flora are your biggest FPS hitters. Other than that find a good distance, set it to balanced, and it'll be fine. There are a lot of tips on the forums in the performance threads at eq2players.
    More and less. I love the models and the way they move, but I hate the hair.
    Excellent. All your old friends from EQ1 will be in there in some form, and a whole lot of new ones. Don't be surprised to run across a few, son of the son of the son of the son of...

Paladins are excellent in raids, but you only need one, and most hardcore raiding guilds will have one, or two in alts, already. VERY hard to get into a hardcore guild with a Pally or a Fury. Inquisitors are good choice, and Templars, Summoner is excellent solo or raid (esp. a conjy), and Wizards are good anywhere. Problem with wizards is there are a lot of them. But if you're good, you'll be needed. Furies have the same problem. They're a good class for solo or raids, but there are a LOT of them.
    As mentioned earlier, a Swash/Brigand and Cleric/Shaman team is an excellent team. They're good solo and group. Just add tank, you've got an instance group right there. Solo pretty much all solo, most heroic, and add a couple others for an instance run. Plus, they are very much desirable for raids.
    Thanks again =)
     Keep in mind that most Casual raiding guilds will pretty much take just about anyone, and you'll probably have to join at least one casual guild on your way up.
    1) It is best to have a guild while leveling, for tips, help, and general banter.
    2) Make friends and get known. EQ2 is much more about reputation. If you're well known and people know you're honest, decent, and a very good player, you will never have to worry about groups, guilds, help, items, or pretty much anything any more. People moan and complain they cannot find a group, yet as soon as I log in, the (John Doe has invited you to a group), is on my screen before I'm done loading.
    3) Hardcore raiding guilds don't just invite anyone. You have to have experience. You'll hear a little descriptor in the game known as stepping stone guilds. These are usually the casual raiding guilds and are stepping stones to get to the higher ranked guilds on the server. It's not just needed to join a stepping stone guild, but expected to get into better guilds. 

"Granted thinking for yourself could be considered a timesink of shorter or longer duration depending on how smart..or how dumb you are."