Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The game is failing, but not for any reasons stated here

Comments

• IllyrianIllyrian Member Posts: 300

I have nothing against SOE but many people do and the company has a bad reputation. That alone did not help.

However there is little doubt that POTBS sinks on its own lack of merit.

• ummaxummax Member Posts: 779

Originally posted by Illyrian

I have nothing against SOE but many people do and the company has a bad reputation. That alone did not help.

However there is little doubt that POTBS sinks on its own lack of merit.

Soe's lack of marketing is not what drove away the population that actualy bought the game.  If soe had marketed it the same problems would exist and probably be maginified.   yes there are some people who just hate soe period, but I find them completely unrealistic anyhow.  NCSOFT and EA gaming is just as bad in fact I think NCSOFT is in fact worse.   BAd games drive players away who actualy buy a copy away not bad marketing.  Even if SOE had done a better job the gamers still would have been driven away by the game itself.  FLS has put in big bold letters that those who had budy keys and free trails left and didn't stay.   If the game had been any good they would ahve stayed.  A free trial and good marketing wont change the fact that fundamentaly there is something wrong with the product.   Crap is crap no matter how wel you market it.  People would simply be screaming louder because there would be more people screaming over it.   Marketing simly meant that they would have pissed more people off then they already did FLS would have made more  money on initial sales but the same amount of account closing would have happened.  Lastly MMORPG.com is one of the largest sites for marketing your game.   Most of the gaming population had the availability of the information.  I didn't find out about this game from an offline store I found out about this game from a forum and website just like this one.   Since I didn't even go to a store to buy the game marketting was pretty much wasted on me.   They had a chance of possibly getting new gamers who have neve rplayed a game into this game, but the fact of the matter is that those are the first to quit from what I have seen who have in the past played only stand alone pc games because fhe game is not that great and in this day and age anyone who wants to try an mmorpg has likely already tried one there isn't much of the population who would be likely to try an online game that hasn't at least tried one trial.  The information was there and I"m not sure it would have drawn much more of a crowd then it already did. 

FLS has already stated that they did manage to market it in spain and it just wasn't popular.   Boxes appeared in the stores the subscriber base just didn't happen.  Simply put not enough people were interested in the box and even less people wre interested in paying the subscription after opening the box.  

• DJXeonDJXeon Member UncommonPosts: 553

My biggest worry is that FLS thought Potbs was ready for release when clearly it wasn't.

Current subscribers are paying for a game that should still be in beta, the potential is there for it still to be a good game but not many mmo's get much of a second chance.

The only saving grace is that FLS only need a relatively small amount of subscribers to be profitable.

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

Originally posted by smg77

SOE is absolutely part of the problem:

They failed to get boxes to stores when the game launched
    They screwed up their launchpad on the day the game launched
    People are constantly complaining about having problems downloading patches from the launchpad
    They are supposed to be advertising the game...I've never seen an ad for it.
    Don't discount the number of people who wouldn't even buy the game because of SOE's involvement. Something the developers were warned about and chose to ignore.

So do you still have an active account?

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• IijsIijs Member Posts: 457

Originally posted by DJXeon

My biggest worry is that FLS thought Potbs was ready for release when clearly it wasn't.

It was in beta for 2 years.

How long do you expect them to run beta before they finally say, enough already, it's good to go?

• olddaddyolddaddy Member Posts: 3,356

Originally posted by Iijs

How long do you expect them to run beta before they finally say, enough already, it's good to go?

Until it's good to go?

• Epyon529Epyon529 Member Posts: 16
    Originally posted by olddaddy

Originally posted by Iijs

Until it's good to go?

But that would make to much sense

FLS failed to realise that PVP combat needed to be rewarded until after release, despite the high turnover of players in beta & many warnings FLS did nothing hoping that released numbers would solve it.

FLS now admit that the economy is only currently working with only one of the three intended sinks or legs of a tripod & won't be put right for quite some time.

All in all it looks like the game is still in a beta condition.

At first i thought that SOE had failed on publicity but in retrospect it would not have made much difference because even if they had brought in many more initial subscribers the bulk would still have probably left by now.

Fix the game first & then spend money on publicity - whether either will actually happen remains to be seen but i am still hopeful.

Over the past few weeks we know that quite a few players have objected & even cancelled their accounts over the following:

1. The famous dev statement to play unfairly to your advantage which was widely mis-interpreted.

2. Lack of rewards for PvP combat.

3. PvE players getting ganked when all they want to do is PvE missions.

4. Over-production in the economy.

5. Lack of incentives to win the map a second time after the first due to underdog tools.

6. Pirates disadvantaged in battles & wealth.

7. Low server populations due to too many servers.

Indirectly there is some truth in all the above but most of it are excuses for the fact that some players get bored with constant RvR period.

Until we have other endgame content like player governed ports & Pirates plunder that will break the monotony of RvR it will not be solved.

Whilst winning the map should be the most important goal for any nation, it should not be the be all to end all as it is now.

Thankfully most of the contentious fires are either out or in the process of being put out & we can look forward to much smoother future transitions to the many exciting additions FLS are currently working on.

In short, a bumpy start but not the end of Potbs by a long shot, i would expect subcribers to increase over the longterm in a similar way to what eve has.

• smg77smg77 Member Posts: 672

In short, a bumpy start but not the end of Potbs by a long shot, i would expect subcribers to increase over the longterm in a similar way to what eve has.

That's not really a fair comparison. In Eve everybody plays on one massive server so every single new player improved the game for all the other players. That's one of the reasons it was able to grow successful over time. Even after the merge it looks like there are too many servers in PotBS.

That's not really a fair comparison. In Eve everybody plays on one massive server so every single new player improved the game for all the other players. That's one of the reasons it was able to grow successful over time. Even after the merge it looks like there are too many servers in PotBS.

Well true but now we have a powerful option to transfer to another server of your choice.

Each remaining server is likely to develop it's own identity & balance so if one doesn't suit your playstyle you will have others to try without any loss to your character.

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

most of it are excuses for the fact that some players get bored with constant RvR period.

Until we have other endgame content like player governed ports & Pirates plunder that will break the monotony of RvR it will not be solved.

I disagree. 

As proof: World War II online.  That game is 100% RvR and 99.9% PvP.

PotBS should be doing better because it also offers PvE, crafting (WWIIoL has none), Economy (again WWIIoL has none) and RP (you can do this in WWIIoL if you are really determined - I don't know anyone who does)

WWIIoL holds subscibers for years.

Why?

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

Originally posted by Gyrus

most of it are excuses for the fact that some players get bored with constant RvR period.

I disagree. 

PotBS should be doing better because it also offers PvE, crafting (WWIIoL has none), Economy (again WWIIoL has none) and RP (you can do this in WWIIoL if you are really determined - I don't know anyone who does)

Why?

Have not played WWIIoL but any game that relies on 99.9% PvP is very much limiting its market.

Originally posted by Gyrus

I disagree. 

Why?

Have not played WWIIoL but any game that relies on 99.9% PvP is very much limiting its market.

Well, and to ask you as a fanboi, what market does POTBS actually reaches to?

It tries to be all things to all people and in that aspect is closer to WoW then to EVE, it fails to be anything to anybody (save the fanbois who would really stick with any Poop Online type of game) and in that aspect it is neither like WoW or EVE.

POTBS limited its market by mediocre design and worse execution of the same, all else is irrelevant.

• allennc55allennc55 Member Posts: 28

i have no clue why everyone has to bash a game everytime a new Mmorpg comes out.. but i have a pretty good idea...

1) They are children and their parents wont buy them the game so they try to bash it in because if they cant play. they try to discourage others into not playing

2) They Are Adults that cannot afford the game/subscription (same outcome as #1)

3) possibly they played the Buddy Key Trial and didnt like it  (like i said possibly, but highly unlikely)

4) they buy the game and it wasn't fully what they had expected. and instead of coming to the conclusion that others had different expectations they decide to bad mouth it)

People need to take into consiteration everyone else if different, a game that you play and dislike; someone else might play and get hooked on it and love it to death. Just because you dont enjoy it doesnt mean you have to trash talk about it , to discourage anyone else from trying it.

Look at me for instance, im an old Vet and fan of SWG pre-Cu.. and when the NGE came out, of course i was upset about it.. but i didnt go flame it down.. simply for the fact that the new gameplay wasnt for me, but others still can enjoy it.

And before you go and flame me about it.. saying im one of the active players just defend the game or whatnot.. I didnt like the game all that much.. but it wasnt because of poor Development, simply for the fact it didnt turn out to be the type of game i can get into, i played it for 30days after i purchased it.. yea i did have fun from time to time.. but its not a game i would dedicate myself too,  Like it said its just not my type of long term game, but hey everyone else it different..

In my oppinion i think BoTBs Will Succeed "Not Fail".. its in the early stages theres still alot of updates and patches to come to fix things..

Originally posted by allennc55

i have no clue why everyone has to bash a game everytime a new Mmorpg comes out.. but i have a pretty good idea...
    1) They are children and their parents wont buy them the game so they try to bash it in because if they cant play. they try to discourage others into not playing
    2) They Are Adults that cannot afford the game/subscription (same outcome as #1)
    3) possibly they played the Buddy Key Trial and didnt like it  (like i said possibly, but highly unlikely)
    4) they buy the game and it wasn't fully what they had expected. and instead of coming to the conclusion that others had different expectations they decide to bad mouth it)

People need to take into consiteration everyone else if different, a game that you play and dislike; someone else might play and get hooked on it and love it to death. Just because you dont enjoy it doesnt mean you have to trash talk about it , to discourage anyone else from trying it.
    Look at me for instance, im an old Vet and fan of SWG pre-Cu.. and when the NGE came out, of course i was upset about it.. but i didnt go flame it down.. simply for the fact that the new gameplay wasnt for me, but others still can enjoy it.

And before you go and flame me about it.. saying im one of the active players just defend the game or whatnot.. I didnt like the game all that much.. but it wasnt because of poor Development, simply for the fact it didnt turn out to be the type of game i can get into, i played it for 30days after i purchased it.. yea i did have fun from time to time.. but its not a game i would dedicate myself too,  Like it said its just not my type of long term game, but hey everyone else it different..

In my oppinion i think BoTBs Will Succeed "Not Fail".. its in the early stages theres still alot of updates and patches to come to fix things..

Sorry, I for one fall into neither of your four categories. Care to try again?

My reason was lack of content, poor planning, lack of balance, game flaws, technical bugs etc.

Types like you are precisely the reason why companies like FLS can and do get away with murder. The usual garbage "new game", "has potential", "give it xyz months" etc.

I will bash because I have reasons to do so - it is a garbage sub par product sodl at full price. It might recover but that is very unlikely.

At this time POTBS is worth more dead then alive because it enhances the negative trends in gaming, namely poor product for full price. Yes, I expect finished or lamost finished product when I buy it, not a piece of junk that has to be developed for next six months.

PS

NGE is one of the biggest flops in gaming industry, good for you for not being upset with it. I prefer those that barked against it rather then those that got slapped in the face and took it quietly.

POTBS limited its market by mediocre design and worse execution of the same, all else is irrelevant.

Potbs is definately not for you Illyrian & with your repetative forum game bashing attitude & feeling that you got ripped, it likely never will be - get over it & move on.   

Perhaps then this forum might be able to represent FLS in a mature constructive way.

Potbs is definately not for you Illyrian & with your repetative forum game bashing attitude & feeling that you got ripped, it likely never will be - get over it & move on.   
    Perhaps then this forum might be able to represent FLS in a mature constructive way.

The game is never going to be a success and will always have a very small population. Get over it and move on.

FLS official forum is full of various posts some of them very constructive - they can look there while here people can express positions contratry to official line.

As for me, I have no reason to be supportive or constructive of a sub standard game that puts the genre one step backwards. You might not like that but you will have to live with it. And thank you, I will move on when I see fit. Now fo and cheerlead with your mates on official forums - the latest fad is that people who quit don't REALLY appreciate the age of sail setting.

Plenty of constructive posts around here also - namely by customers who don't like being ripped off and are not keen to repeat the experience.

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 758

Illyrian posts for many of us that wasted our money on a broken game that was made even more broken after release.

Normally, if I buy a game and don't like it, I quietly cancel my subscription and move on. I have made an exception for this game for two reasons:

1. I played the game in open beta and enjoyed the experience. Since then, there have been major alterations that have completely changed the game I bought in a negative way. I've only ever come across a similar scenario once before and that was when SOE introduced the CU and NGE to SWE

2. There were a lot of things I liked originally. If the game was fixed, I might consider subscribing again. Unfortunately, that doesn't look likely.

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

The game is never going to be a success and will always have a very small population. Get over it and move on.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

Originally posted by Briansho

No.

Originally posted by Briansho

yes i do or quite simply i wouldn't be here, have got far better things to do than to bash a small game company by repeating myself time & time again.

As i said on the other thread you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Good luck to you, if you havn't got the message by now you never will, get off the devs back they are doing their best & anything you say is not helping as your intentions appear destructive.

Some of you act like you have some form of personal vendetta against FLS, you had better accept that you are a vey small childish minority & fooling nobody but yourselves..

Some of you act like you have some form of personal vendetta against FLS, you had better accept that you are a vey small childish minority & fooling nobody but yourselves..

Well if that was true they wouldn't have had to shut down over half their servers a few months after launch.

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

FLS official forum is full of various posts some of them very constructive - they can look there while here people can express positions contratry to official line.

As for me, I have no reason to be supportive or constructive of a sub standard game that puts the genre one step backwards. You might not like that but you will have to live with it. And thank you, I will move on when I see fit. Now fo and cheerlead with your mates on official forums - the latest fad is that people who quit don't REALLY appreciate the age of sail setting.

Plenty of constructive posts around here also - namely by customers who don't like being ripped off and are not keen to repeat the experience.

And also I'm sure you'll admit a ton of posts by people who say "Pirates of the BS is teh suxxorrzzzz!" which is basically what 90% of all critques are, just like 90% of fanboi posts are "POTBS pwnzorrzzz!".

Quite frankly, I think most of your constructive criticism ended quite awhile ago.

Originally posted by iceman00

And also I'm sure you'll admit a ton of posts by people who say "Pirates of the BS is teh suxxorrzzzz!" which is basically what 90% of all critques are, just like 90% of fanboi posts are "POTBS pwnzorrzzz!".

Quite frankly, I think most of your constructive criticism ended quite awhile ago.

You see, the difference being that majority of negative posts are well argumented. After all the game closed 2/3 of its servers after three months. The best you can say about POTBS is it had potential and it has decent ship to ship combat, too bad it is a poor product build around that one redeemeing feature.

Quite frankly I will post as I please and when I please. I was for awhile playing the "constructive suggesting" game which is quite franjky pointless as FLS showed very clearly they don't listen to their customers. There is a reason people left and are still leaving. I will change my tune under condition something changes with the product, at this time it is unlikely andm ost likely impossible. They are tweaking the cosmetics and not touching the issues. That is fine, that is why they are where they are and I plan to continue posting as and when I see fit.

Now, if you and others don't like it, feel free to be constructive here or on FLS forums. The difference being expect naysayers here as this is an area out of FLS' policing. If you don't like it, don't read it. In short I am not going to stop posting because game fans, what is left of them, don't like what they hear.

And yes to put it bluntly only a delusional or inexperienced can say POTBS "pwnzorrz", majority can with full rights say POTBS "suxxorz". The game drags down already low quality bar in the industry.

In conclusion, quite frankly, I don't need to be constructive and I really have no reason to be constructive. I will just point the flaws and advise people to try it themselves.