Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alliance Battles

warzone100warzone100 Member Posts: 63

I was just wondering how easy it would be for a casual player to get into alliance battles?   You don't have to join a guild that requires you to play hardcore do you?

Comments

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

It's pretty much like TA. As long as you have a basic comprehension of what you're goal is and you fulfill that one, and play a good build then you should be off fine. AB is fairly casual compared to other PvP arenas, like GvG or HA.

• warzone100warzone100 Member Posts: 63

Alright, thanks.

Forgot to add this to my earlier reply so I could as well add it now; check out PvXWikis section for Great and Good
    AB builds, these can be good to start off with as most groups will ask you to ping your builds, and they will kick you instantly if you're running a stupid/noobish build.

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

I've AB'd alot and I can assure you that it is very easy to get into. My very first battle was a "I have NO clue wtf is going on" situation, yet we won! Basically, your "newbiness" will be compensated for by the other players in the team. There are 11 other players to pick up the slack for you. A very good starter tip is to pick someone and stick with them throughout the battle. They will most likely take you where you need to be. Soon you'll learn what to do and can go off on your own.

With regards to builds - the very large majority of groups I've been in don't really care about what build you're running. Basically it's a very random thing. Obviously you'll get those teams who are looking for certain people in order to run points, but by just randomly inviting groups you should get accepted quite quickly and enter without much hassle. That, however, doesn't mean you should run a bad build at all hehe.

Alliance Battles are very easy to learn. There are 5 maps, with 3 of them being the more common of the lot. A VERY big help is the mission map. Bring it up by pressing "U" in-game. It will show you all the points your team controls and vice versa, as well as which ones your should capture.

Good luck!

• ShneakyOneShneakyOne Member UncommonPosts: 156

AB is the beef jerky of Guildwars PvP, and GvG is the Filet Mignon of Guildwars PvP. In my eyes, I don't even consider AB a form of PvP, as it takes very little game knowledge to compete in. However, if you do have high game knowledge, you'll be on a higher level than everyone you play with.

• Par-SalianPar-Salian Member Posts: 284

I've been playing for 6 months now and I've never participated in any kind of PvP.  One of the reasons is because I, too, thought "I have no friggin' clue what I'm doing, I'm going to make an ass out of myself."  I'm in a great guild now, so I might venture into the scary world of PVP ::shudders::.

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

Random Arenas and Alliance Battles are a great way to get started in the world of PvP. When I first played I too thought that it would be terribly hard to match up to anyone, but it in fact wasn't at all. As long as you can construct a logical build you'll be fine. As I said before, Alliance Battles have the added benefit of there been 11 other people to pick the slack up for you and guide you to where you need to go.

Originally posted by Lydon
    Random Arenas and Alliance Battles are a great way to get started in the world of PvP. When I first played I too thought that it would be terribly hard to match up to anyone, but it in fact wasn't at all. As long as you can construct a logical build you'll be fine. As I said before, Alliance Battles have the added benefit of there been 11 other people to pick the slack up for you and guide you to where you need to go.

I agree. Although I would suggest to start with RA first of all, as here you aren't asked for a build and you'll most likely be facing off against terrible builds. No matter what you play in RA (maybe except 8 optionals) you can count on that there will always be someone with a worse build setup. Additionally it's a fairly easy goal; annihilate the opposing team and you'll most likely learn the basics of PvE there too. After RA you proceed to AB.

• 8hammer88hammer8 Member Posts: 1,812

Originally posted by Lydon

I would always suggest people go to AB first if they have the option:

A) More opportunity to use skills  in battle

B) Game speed is a lot slower allowing a new player to get comfortable

C) A chance to mess with builds without being potentially yelled at by some arogant SOB trying to work on a Gladiator Title

RA is pretty hectic and not the most mature place to be so I thing you have to be ready for it.  It is very fast paced most of the time and if you really are not confident you will probably get steam-rolled.

"It is easier to be cruel than wise. The road to wisdom is long and difficult... so most people just turn out to be assholes" Feng (Christopher Walken)

• SophistSophist Member Posts: 171

I think some may have misconstrued your question so I will respond with this. No You wont be asked your rank and so on and so forth and no you do not have to be in a big guild to have fun with it. Essentially all you need to do is either a join ANY guild no matter if the guy only has himself as a member or even just go start your own. The thing with starting your own is I think you need a Guild Hall (20 plat) so you can access the NPC's to let you into Alliance battles.(I'm not sure if there are other Npc's you can access without a Hall)

That being said you being a Casual player just go join any guild that will accept you and use them to access the Npc's once in the territory you can group with whomever you like. Just keep in mind most Exp AB'ers want Cap groups meaning your not there to fight Lux You are there to cap towers. I tend to set a build that moves me/the group to the next tower fast and burst DPS for the groups of Npc's at towers.(When you capp 3 NPC's of your side Spawn)

Hope that helps if I misunderstood your question sorry for the blurb of useless info.

"The most important thing is to have the design support the players in setting their own goals in both cooperative and competitive interaction with one another." - Ironore -

• SophistSophist Member Posts: 171

WTH  I didn't set it that big Damn!!

Anywho Sorry.

"The most important thing is to have the design support the players in setting their own goals in both cooperative and competitive interaction with one another." - Ironore -