Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this the best MMO site?

SinzOfManSinzOfMan Member UncommonPosts: 224

Or is there another one you'd recommend over this one?

Comments

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

For news and articles it's pretty good, though like all major sites they don't report much about what their competitors get their hands on, so keep an eye on IGN and Gamespy too.

The forums are very hostile and very set in their way, (luv you Eve fans!) so don't expect much love here :D

• OrthedosOrthedos Member Posts: 1,771

Originally posted by bobfish

For news and articles it's pretty good, though like all major sites they don't report much about what their competitors get their hands on, so keep an eye on IGN and Gamespy too.
    The forums are very hostile and very set in their way, (luv you Eve fans!) so don't expect much love here :D
    News and articles are good, and updated.  No argument about this.  You are absolutely correct.

Are the forums bad?  For games with a sizable portion of sensitive but web-active followers/haters, we would expect message board wars, here or in the official forum, or anywhere else the followers/haters will go.  If you think that XXX (say SWG) forums are bad here, do you think that the other forums devoted to SWG be very civil?

• AirspellAirspell Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,391

Only reason people come here is for the contests, and perhaps the forums like myself. All the other sites get the news and exclusives before mmorpg.com does.

• AnzieAnzie Member Posts: 468

Originally posted by Airspell

Only reason people come here is for the contests, and perhaps the forums like myself. All the other sites get the news and exclusives before mmorpg.com does.

Are the contest even true?

Because if they are I want my godamn headset since this $10 dollar one suck and My keyboard because the dell can't make keyboard for shit.

Anyways, I like the forum they get insteresting once in a while and also the developer diary for some game.

Originally posted by Spathotan
    The simplest way to put this, is like this. Buying a used/refurbished 360 is on the same plane as sharing a condom in a gangbang with strangers.
  • punkrockpunkrock Member Posts: 1,777

i love this site. you should really stay. its the best one imo

• EraserheadEraserhead Member UncommonPosts: 343

I haven't found a mmorpg specific site I like better. Plenty of news and game resources. Despite the fanboy/hater wars, these forums have some of the best mmorpg industry related discussions. I originally joined because of the great game list, when I was looking for new stuff to play. I do believe though (and I could be biased here) that the game list here has been usurped as the best by this one ;)

• HairysunHairysun Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

If you ask a developer about MMORPG.COM he/she would roll his/her eyes and say "ugh."  Typically to other game sites/forums I frequently hear people slamming the posters here.  Additionally the mods seem to rollercoaster with the thread locks, deletes and bans.  You know, let a thread go for a while sometimes ... delete it instantaneously other times.  Fanbois' .... Haters .... few of those.....

In short we're the low of the low in the MMO world.......the site all the others bad mouth.

I love it here.....

~Hairysun~

• GreenChaosGreenChaos Member Posts: 2,268

For info I go to www.massively.com/

For forums I go here.

• BernoullyBernoully Member Posts: 174

www.mmosite.com

Updated way often than this place. :P

• HousamHousam Member Posts: 1,460

this has the best forums imo :)

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Depends.

PRO:

- Almost every MMO is here.

- Footage for each MMO present.

- Opinions about just everything.

- Representants from various MMOs companies are here, openly or hidden.

CON:

- Biaised toward RvR, and as such toward games featuring it.

- EvE, DAoC and WAR are not even remotedly as good as they will try to "sell it" to you, caution is advise in these forums as moderation can be unfair and edgy.

- The users here are vastly in favor of PvP and/or RvR, and as such, everything is biaised that way.

- They gimme temporary bans and heavy moderation when it wasn't remotedly necessary, but again, who is perfect?  Certainly not them.  You see the little 16 year old girl beaten on youtube?  This is what happen when "gankers" think you are an easy pick, they would never try someone who fight back (1 hit can kill...). They pick someone they know wouldn't fight back.  Here, on a forum full of PvPers (and gankers), you will be tested.

All in all, I prefer Gamespot.  But this website still has some interest.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• Cabe2323Cabe2323 Member Posts: 2,939

Originally posted by Anofalye

Depends.

PRO:
    - Almost every MMO is here.
    - Footage for each MMO present.
    - Opinions about just everything.
    - Representants from various MMOs companies are here, openly or hidden.

CON:
    - Biaised toward RvR, and as such toward games featuring it.
    - EvE, DAoC and WAR are not even remotedly as good as they will try to "sell it" to you, caution is advise in these forums as moderation can be unfair and edgy.
    - The users here are vastly in favor of PvP and/or RvR, and as such, everything is biaised that way.
    - They gimme temporary bans and heavy moderation when it wasn't remotedly necessary, but again, who is perfect?  Certainly not them.  You see the little 16 year old girl beaten on youtube?  This is what happen when "gankers" think you are an easy pick, they would never try someone who fight back (1 hit can kill...). They pick someone they know wouldn't fight back.  Here, on a forum full of PvPers (and gankers), you will be tested.

All in all, I prefer Gamespot.  But this website still has some interest.

{ Mod Edit }

This forum is definitely not PVP/RVR Centric.  If anything it is a little "sandbox" centric and has quite a lot of SWG Vets, but overall it is mainly just MMO Veteran heavy which means that it skews away from the "WoW Friendly Crowd".  A lot of the "MMO Veterans" are looking for more challenging games and so you will see a lot of posts about making games more difficult, like back in the days of EQ1. 

Currently playing:
    LOTRO & WoW (not much WoW though because Mines of Moria rocks!!!!)

Looking Foward too:
    Bioware games (Dragon Age & Star Wars The Old Republic)

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by Hairysun

If you ask a developer about MMORPG.COM he/she would roll his/her eyes and say "ugh."  Typically to other game sites/forums I frequently hear people slamming the posters here.  Additionally the mods seem to rollercoaster with the thread locks, deletes and bans.  You know, let a thread go for a while sometimes ... delete it instantaneously other times.  Fanbois' .... Haters .... few of those.....
      In short we're the low of the low in the MMO world.......the site all the others bad mouth.

I love it here.....
    ~Hairysun~

Only reason some developers hate it is because we have the right to confront them here without having to worry about bans and thread deletions for the most part. Some of us are notorious for calling out ( and arguing with ) devs who aren't exactly being "truthful" in their endeavors.

• TeimanTeiman Member Posts: 1,319

Wait.. there are other site about all mmorpg games?

I only know this one. And seems a good site. I have to say, that the forum is very civilized, I like the color scheme (easy on the eye) and seems new stuff is posted here as soon as posible. So is a decent site to get "the last", news and stuff...

I don't care if people here is biased pro-RvR, I am biased pro-RvR :DD

Ta muy bien este sitio :D

• SamuraiswordSamuraisword Member Posts: 2,111

The best sites for news and original articles are Tentonhammer or Warcry. MMORPG.com only pastes news articles from press releases or other sites. The only original journalism displayed here are opinions and reviews which don't require any actual investigative research. Dana Massey and others who could write and research left for lack of pay.

• TalinguardTalinguard Member UncommonPosts: 676

I perfer PvP in MMO's.  having said that, I don't know of a single game that is PvP centric.  Building a game that allows players to fight each other is not PvP.

Think about it like this.  There are a million sports out there.  that i will lump into roughly two categories.

See if you can figure out the relationship.....

Cat 1:

Baseball, football, soccer, chess, ping pong, rugby, cricket, hockey, tennis, jousting, volleyball....

Vs.

Cat 2:

Golf, darts, shuffleboard, shot-put, bobsledding, high jump, drag racing, gymnastics, diving.

Figure it out?

The top group, Cat 1, is where people play against each other to win.  The bottom group is where people compete unobstructed and compare their results.  The one with the best result is the winner.

Virtually all MMORPG's fall into the second category, the question is simply how much.  Sure some games allow people to fight one another, but it's not the focus of the game, simply an afterthought.  If I received prize money for any sport in category 2 and I used the proceeds to buy weapons and armor.  Then my ability to fight will be based on how much time I have to earn cash by playing one of the sports in Cat 2 (assuming in this silly hypothetical that there is always money to be made for playing).

If I have better weapons and armor, it’s not because I'm better than other players at combat, it's because I'm better, or have more time raping NPC's for cash and items.

That said, I fully respect your desire to play PvE based games.  I don't think it's fair that you generalize all PvP'ers as bullies, and frankly that stance leaves you coming across as somewhat of a whiner.

I have created a concept that creates a symbiotic relationship between PvP'ers and PvE'ers.  In my concept both play types offer value in the world and both will look to the other to supply what they need, because I'm more interested in building meaningful social interaction in a game, then endless grinding against predicable AI opponents, or conversely, beating 1000 other real players for points never facing any real consequence in the event I loose.

Presentation for new MMORPG economics concept http://www.slideshare.net/talin/mmo-economics-concept-v-10

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

There are a lot of MMORPG news sites out there. The competition is quite fierce, so I doubt the staff at MMORPG.COm would appreciate us recoomending others. HOwever, I woudl say that this site is one of the better all around MMORPG News and discussion sites for P2P games. However, it lacks a lot when it comes to F2P games.

Torrential

• HellmarauderHellmarauder Member Posts: 178

For f2p, Indy or foreign games both mmosite.com and onrpg.com are much better; this site is usually lagging behind in news of any incoming non-western mmo, hence I always go to those two sites when I look for a new game to play.

But for in-depth discussion, trend for western game design/gamers' taste and developers' views, this site is better.  But for that same reason, you'd find some special interest "lobbyists" here as well.  The other two sites tend to have more immature teenage gamers but real gamers nevertheless.

• ArbadacarbaArbadacarba Member Posts: 304

If the highest rated games on the websites are crappy, F2P, point-and-click to move, grinders then I know I can't relate to the communities on those boards.  That is why I avoid sites like mmosite and globalmmo.

I remember someone on this board said something like this:

If you take all the F2P asian grinders and smash them all together into one game, not much would be different because they are almost all clones.

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586

Let me put it this way....

I do not currently play, or even like, MMORPGs and I still hang out here.

If that ain't an endorsement then I don't know what is.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

Pros:

- Mostly a good, well informed community

- Website is almost an ocean of information

- dedicated staff

Cons:

- Some members makes me want to cry

- Moderators are hiding in bushes waiting for me to come out to swing with the ban stick

- Teara won't go on a date with me

• slask777slask777 Member Posts: 706

Mmorpg.com got the best mmo focused forums. For game news I usually go elsewhere though. Oh, and if you like WoW dont expect an easy time around here. Most people despise that game in these here forums.

On a completely different note, i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm  Who said nothing good will ever come from religion

---
    Grammar nazi's. This one is for you.

• SinzOfManSinzOfMan Member UncommonPosts: 224

thx for the replies everyone.

For some reason, this is my home for MMO sites.  I guess it was the simple domain name that captured me but something about this place just feels right.  As others have said, it's easy on the eyes, great info, knowledgeable community, evil mods lol... seriously, I once made a post about something that is known to cure parkinson's disease and it got erased and I was banned lol.. 

ah well, good gaming info here so keep up the good work mmorpg.com

• EraserheadEraserhead Member UncommonPosts: 343

Originally posted by Arbadacarba
    If the highest rated games on the websites are crappy, F2P, point-and-click to move, grinders then I know I can't relate to the communities on those boards.  That is why I avoid sites like mmosite and globalmmo.

I remember someone on this board said something like this:
    If you take all the F2P asian grinders and smash them all together into one game, not much would be different because they are almost all clones.

I was surprised to see you mention globalmmo in that statement as most games on there don't have any rating at all and the rest are purely random scores while the thing is tested (and due to be wiped) with no preference given to p2p or f2p.