Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Five MMOs > WoW?

124»

Comments

• DragonOakDragonOak Member Posts: 322

Originally posted by Cabe2323

Okay now I think I understand the problem with our discussion.  I think you are not away of the fact that   Blizzard does not run the game in those countries.  It has leased the game rights to The9 and another company (I forget the name) to offer the game.  Which means the costs for servers, for running the games, for updating the game with patches, etc etc etc is all based there in that economy.  Blizzard makes a lot less from the Asian market then they do from the Western Market.  (You can look it up on Vivendi's financial reports, I forget the exact amount but it was substantially lower income from Asia even though they have more subscribers there). 

So once again how can you expect a company (in this case The9) to charge western market prices in the Asian market when their costs are Asian Market costs?  If  Blizzard was running the servers here in the US and offering it for less in Asia you would have a point.  But they do not do that.  They don't even run the servers there or provide the support or anything.  The9 takes the western version of the game and transfers it over to Chinese.  So there is no subsidizing going on. 

It is still income they derive from these markets to pay for their yachts, vacation homes,  and the occasional employee bonus (often in that order).

And for the......I don't know how many times anymore.........it is still supporting a nation that violates human rights, sells poisonous consumer products, and refuses to withdraw from Tibet.  I mean the only way I can get you to see this point is to ASSUME that since you support blizzard you support China's violations?

And you do realize that list you provided about per capita incomes, four of those listed are Asian markets, right?  So your point that being able to afford the $15 US per month is mute since those four nations probably could considering other factors of their economy like living expenses.

But the fact that Blizzard charges us more than those markets does make my point.  I am passionate and often arrogant about my issues, but I am not the only one wearing rose colored glasses.

Where was the game designed?  What demographics were the games base player stats prior to entrance into China?  Where did Vivendi aquire and utilize funding to develop said game? 

And again, I am now convinced that people who wish to remain ignorant on this issue, by there mere apathy, support human rights violations, have no care about Tibet, and shop at Walmart where 99.9 of their products are now made in China, complimentary dose of lead and arsenic is included FREE!!!

This discussion has been closed.