Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This Game Deserved to Fail

124»

Comments

• Plasuma!!!Plasuma!!! Member Posts: 1,872

Originally posted by _Shadowmage

Originally posted by Plasuma!!!

Behold why your country is so loathable.

Yet according to your bio - you live there.

Is my profile supposed to be accurate? The internet is full of lies, why not contribute? I found the most obscure location in the US and put it there for laughs.

This genre was good and different back in the day (probably like the US was in its hay day) but it quickly turned to mush and became a dull shade of grey where fun turned into a mere theory that only looked good on paper (like how evangelists run your country, and how religious freedom is a mere theory).

Or the developers went where the players were - the EQ type class model.

Strangely enough, EQ and WoW have very few similarities. EQ had hard-core rules that didn't attract casual gamers, and it was a "cult hit" like how Monty Python caught on in the US.

WoW is a very simple MMORPG for very simple people. Tons of simple people int he world, so it has tons of subscriptions. Just because millions of people like something doesn't mean that it's a smart thing to join (the tobacco industry is an excellent example).

Why do I hate the MMORPG genre? It's because people like you keep encouraging developers to make shitty games like Tabula Rasa for a quick buck.

Welcome to free enterprise. Companies can make any product they like. If consumers dont like it they wont pay to play. Just because you dont like the game - doesnt make it a shitty game - it just makes it a game you dont like.

I accept that you find non-creatively recycled content to be vastly entertaining.

It's democratic that way: a majority of stupidity gets higher say over a minority of reasonable thought. In the end, someone's opinion is just as good as another guy's... at least until mass-brainwashing comes into the picture, where unique opinions no longer have any pull compared to the weight of all the common ones.

Thats right - when everyones opinion is equal - then the many outweigh the few. Thats called society. If you dont like the society you are in - move somewhere else. If you dont like mmorpg's play something else.

I suppose you're saying that I can no longer expect good things from this genre? I have played good MMORPGs, but the ones I enjoyed the most have since died or changed to fit the mainstream. That's like living in an English-speaking country that suddenly decided to switch to Arabic. Nothing to be happy about.

The only real respectable MMORPG still alive out there is EVE Online, since they don't care what makes the most money, only what makes their niche happy... and I don't even like EVE right now because I got sick of playing the same thing for 3 years, but I respect the developers for being independent. I don't troll their forums... often.

But as long as WOW can pull 10 million players - why would any company make anything different? They are in it to make a $ and generate the biggest return for the shareholders.

If you really want something different - find some investors and build your better game.

Been there, done that. Yes, I have tried to develop my own game with some friends a long time ago. Shit happened, good friends moved away / lost interest, and the few of us remaining used it as a resume booster to get into Infogrames (Atari).

I quit later and got a much better job at a staffing solutions business with a shiny, comfortable desk... from which I am typing this rant.

So pardon me for not sharing your enthusiasm for what's going on with this industry. Vivendi, SOE, EA, Atari, etc.; they all think the same way: STFU and make money, we don't care about innovation or fun, we need to copy the other guy who makes higher profits!

That's utterly disgusting, and I'm sorry you think it's acceptable.

Originally posted by sagool

Ouch!

I did not realize I wrote a personal attack there Plasuma. I was just putting an opinion out there. My apologies if you took as such.

As far as "politics" go , your right , I do not give a flying rats ass about politics or what happens to anyone aside from myself and my immediate family. Which unfortunately some DO effect me , such as our "president" not realizing that there are not proper taxes and tariffs on imported goods - thereby making goods from "over seas" and Mexico more affordable than what is made at home. Plus we spend way WAAAAY too much time worrying about what other countries do / think and their poor, than we do our own - I do not care for many many many things that my countries government does, but I do appreciate our freedom to disagree and I am but just 1 person.

( I do not do religion , mostly , because I usually just offend  - I'm not a "believer". I am not sure that  evangelists run our country , but I do agree that anyone who believes a single word of it needs to think it over .)

My #1 , "rule of self " ,for lack of better term , that I like to follow and project to as many as I can is this : Think for yourself ! Use logic -  and then decide.

BUT...This is a site about "gaming" and I ,myself, am an "artist" so to speak ,truly believe in ... and very frequently defend other artist's rights to the freedoms they are so deserved. Be it writing , gaming , painting , speaking , hacking , Family Guy :) ...etc...

Brian-washing? there is much of that world-wide , too much and it is sad - I love L Ron Hubbard's Books but.... It is sad that it is so easy to take a few peoples opinion and make it law.  In my opinion something Unique (capital) is the only way to have it - but we do not always get that because of what others may feel is not their "cup of tea".

"a majority of stupidity gets higher say over a minority of reasonable thought." I could not agree with that more.

point is - I was saying that it is simple - I found the change in pace to be a good time - if you don't like it then try something else . The Genre as a whole has not offered me that next EQ 1 (which I gave sony a good 4 yrs of my life for) yet ... and I honestly doubt it will - but anything that is not fantasy / high fantasy actually IS , even if to a minor degree , outside of the norm for the mmo community. Here's to hoping it will start a trend and offer you something you like.
    But in retort : I have not "encouraged" anything , I have not "broken" anything and if you have differences or problems with the people who do these thing take it up with them , not me. I am not a leader in politics, I am barely an artist , A gamer , a blue collar worker , a pc geek -
    I came from a fairly low income family leaving me no choice but to forgo College and work to to help my ill mother , who suffers parkinsons , shy-drager and a host of other disease. So your correct , I AM undereducated to a degree. I use my love of building PC's and gaming and art - to relieve my mind of the daily bullshit I have been given to deal with. Beyond what I can handle , there are others paid a hell of a lot more to deal with it in my stead.There are just so many posts of people throwing out negativity I thought I would try to explain that there is alot of fun in getting to the end that people overlook in trying to be "end game"

yes I have played almost every MMO since EQ1 - my faves since: EQ2 , City of x... , and now I have been enjoying Tabula Rasa.

It is all just opinion man , do not take me personal - point me at some other games I might enjoy... PLEASE give me GORE , PLEASE! Horror , post apocalyptic , cyberpunk - give me William Gibson -((oh , I do LOVE reading , so I CAN read at least.)) What do YOU enjoy ? I will give it a try , I love to explore.

Sorry man I just don't like to be "grouped in" and think that we all should , as gamers / pc junkies , be a little more constructive to eachother - if I came off otherwise , it is my fault. I am not being a smart ass and rarely do I post so honest . I get tired of too much seriousness sometimes hehe.

GAME ON man and maybe I will catch you in one of your favorite games? ...

-Sagool " Dr Strangematter " Harbaugh
    Fell free to msg or email me if you'd prefer not to continue in forum... I can take it !
    ((*Quote: "Please post your opinions and any criticism about this topic. It's better to have many different perspectives  to help shape the idea than just my own (I find my self-criticism to be unreliable at best)."))
    (edited for some things I typed that sounded different to me once I read them over)

Since when does anyone take anything I say seriously? I really didn't know that any bit of what I said about the US was even remotely true!

That's dangerous; taking word-of-mouth from the court jester.

You may hove noticed (by snooping through my profile and authored posts) that Tabula Rasa is my favorite game to hate and I totally change face when posting in the Developer's Corner. I'm actually a somewhat (great overstatement) likable individual in person, but I also love to be hated in forums because I can start arguments and keep my mind sharp for conversations at work.

Damn, I just gave away my cover!

EDIT: Aside from my egotism just now, I don't take offense from anything. What you said that sparked my previous rant really wasn't a personal assault in my mind, but I saw it as a chance to start an argument (because a highly irrational individual, like whom I portray, would see it as something personal).

Now, if you don't mind, I must tend to my bridge.

• Apology accepted !

You know,  I believe that - for the most part - I am a fairly LICK-able person as well !

So, once Chrissy , Janet , and I are done feeding my table lamp corn chips, we will swing by the Minimart and pick up some Hobbits and lawn darts. Then we will stop by your bridge and hang out for a while , maybe accost some unweary knights as they try to cross wearing nothing but mustard circles around our nipples while having the girls throw peanut shells and plums at them.

Honestly I have had an eXtreMely bad month , (though it does not matter here really ) and it did feel kinda nice to argue , even if it was in the depths of some forum on some gaming site. Jester ! You make me smile !

- I am a n00b @ being a TR LL . Where I fail, I h0pe 2 learn.

Hmmm what did George W. say ? ... I think it was:

""There's an old saying in Tennessee -- I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee -- that says, fool me once, shame on -- shame on you. Fool me -- you can't get fooled again.""  - the brilliance!

hehehe

[MOD EDIT] <----  Joking or not , they are out to prove you right at every turn man )

Originally posted by sagool

Apology accepted !
    You know,  I believe that - for the most part - I am a fairly LICK-able person as well !
    So, once Chrissy , Janet , and I are done feeding my table lamp corn chips, we will swing by the Minimart and pick up some Hobbits and lawn darts. Then we will stop by your bridge and hang out for a while , maybe accost some unweary knights as they try to cross wearing nothing but mustard circles around our nipples while having the girls throw peanut shells and plums at them.

Honestly I have had an eXtreMely bad month , (though it does not matter here really ) and it did feel kinda nice to argue , even if it was in the depths of some forum on some gaming site. Jester ! You make me smile !
    - I am a n00b @ being a TR LL . Where I fail, I h0pe 2 learn.
    Hmmm what did George W. say ? ... I think it was:
    ""There's an old saying in Tennessee -- I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee -- that says, fool me once, shame on -- shame on you. Fool me -- you can't get fooled again.""  - the brilliance!
    hehehe
    [MOD EDIT] <----  Joking or not , they are out to prove you right at every turn man )

Odd, someone fired their banhammer and hit me by accident. Gallantly, I recover from that devastating blow.

Why would anybody ban me, the sort-of-great troll of Tabula Rasa?! (Actually, I'm quite happy it's not a perma-ban, I risked it by bringing politics into the picture... huzzah for mercy!)

Anyway Sagool, yes, that was an apology of a sort of limited degree. You know I couldn't come right out and say it, as that would ruin my reputation.

Also, I would love a visit from a fellow troll, regardless of experience level. We could throw uncomfortable insults at passersby, wave private parts at their aunties, laugh whole-heartedly at pious stiffs, and argue with politicians until the seasons change... ah, good times, those are.

On a more serious note, I wish everyone else were as wise and light-hearted as you, my friend.

• *Salute*

You can only take so much [MOD EDIT] in life before you learn that it is truly not worth the effort ,unless you do it with a [MOD EDIT]-eating grin on your face and be a little off center.

• _Shadowmage_Shadowmage Member Posts: 1,459

So pardon me for not sharing your enthusiasm for what's going on with this industry. Vivendi, SOE, EA, Atari, etc.; they all think the same way: STFU and make money, we don't care about innovation or fun, we need to copy the other guy who makes higher profits!

That's utterly disgusting, and I'm sorry you think it's acceptable.

I disagree on Vivendi copying the other guy. They are the guy the others are trying to copy.

I think its perfectly acceptable for any company to want to make a profit. So obviously they will target the largest market as that increases their chance of making a profit. When someone else is funding the development - ie a publisher they want to maximize the return on their investment. So they arent going to push niche games.

So the future is pretty bleak for the type of game you seem to want, given the investment required to launch a MMO these days.

• DoktorTeufelDoktorTeufel Member UncommonPosts: 413

Just thought I'd bump this to say "I told you so". I started the thread and was flamed massively (as expected), but Turdbula Rasa will be making its final lap around the toilet bowl com mid-February.

Good riddance to a terrible game. Yes, I'm bitter. Why? Because nearly every damned MMORPG is medieval fantasy full of elves, dwarves, and cat people. Finally, they had a chance to make an awesome new sci-fi MMORPG that isn't EVE Online, and they made a turd.

Currently Playing: EVE Online
    Retired From: UO, FFXI, AO, SWG, Ryzom, GW, WoW, WAR

• green13green13 Member UncommonPosts: 1,341
    Originally posted by DoktorTeufel

Good riddance to a terrible game. Yes, I'm bitter. Why? Because nearly every damned MMORPG is medieval fantasy full of elves, dwarves, and cat people. Finally, they had a chance to make an awesome new sci-fi MMORPG that isn't EVE Online, and they made a turd.

I think it's disappointing. It was better than sound conceptually, but the implementation was off enough to doom it.

And actually shutting down.... Everyone seems to have accepted that Blizzard's phenomenal success with WoW was a freak and can't be repeated, ignoring the fact that WoW was a quality product at release, i.e. no-one was expected to buy and pay a monthly fee to beta the product for 6-12 months.

Of course they might have recovered somewhat - the game wasn't a total bomb - but for those laughable promotional campaigns. I'll probably never delete the email offering to send my DNA into space with "Lord British" or the screenshot of my "Once chance to save humanity"...

It's sad that they screwed up so badly what could have been a great game. We can only hope that games in development take note and learn from TR's failures.

• sancher36sancher36 Member UncommonPosts: 458

One big problem tr had was they were offering the world yet failing on delivery.

There was alot I liked about the game and there was also alot I disliked too, I was hoping game would succeed in the end but good try anyways.

As for the beta, there was definately way too many people in it and alot of those didn't go over to retail because of bad experiences in beta.

Now if I was in control of making this game, the main thing I would change was fixed targetting as I feel that was their biggest mistake overall. Also too not make promises you can't fulfill.

• Originally posted by DoktorTeufel

Just thought I'd bump this to say "I told you so". I started the thread and was flamed massively (as expected), but Turdbula Rasa will be making its final lap around the toilet bowl com mid-February.

Unfortunately, for me anyway, the fantasy genre is far more popular than Science Fiction.

I'm in the same bitter boat as you, wanted/craved a great sci-fi game and got a fist full of manure instead...

• MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689
    Originally posted by DoktorTeufel

I knew when I played the open beta that nothing the dev team did could save this worthless crapfest of a game. Here's some confirmation:
    "It is highly unlikely that Tabula Rasa will ever end up being profitable for NCsoft and this was admitted by NCsoft's CFO in the call.
    Richard Garriott placed part of the blame on letting too many testers into Tabula Rasa's beta early-on."
    Link to Source: www.massively.com/2008/02/21/q4-2007-ncsoft-s-subscription-numbers-and-tabula-rasa-s-financial/
    Also note the price drop on Amazon (WoW is listed just beneath it for $19.99, ROFL): 

And this is why devs and investors need to quit rushing games out the door, when they know it's still half-broken and barely playable.
    Those of you who're still forcing yourselves to play this game because you're in denial about how much it blows should just let it rest in peace.

dude i know some of the Devs for this game. It was NOT there choice to rush it out the door it was the damn publisher. Devs have little power over it all they can do is make the game by the Date set. The game was not all that bad i mean i enjoyed it and played it for about 1/2 its life. But it was not ready. Your post is just overly harsh.

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• indiramournindiramourn Member UncommonPosts: 884

Jircris,

NCSoft gave Destination Games ( the TR developers) a year to turn TR into the game it was supposed to be and they failed to deliver.

I agree--heck all my fellow beta testers begged--that the game should not be released when it was, it was no-where near ready.  But I don't blame the publishers when it is clearly the game developers who were not up to the task. 

If you had been one of the developers and the choices were either: Have the game cancelled and never see the light-of-day after years of development, or Have the game released before it is ready and be given 12 months to bring it up to speed.  Which would you pick?

• hatertotshatertots Member Posts: 35
    Originally posted by indiramourn

Jircris,
    NCSoft gave Destination Games ( the TR developers) a year to turn TR into the game it was supposed to be and they failed to deliver.
    I agree--heck all my fellow beta testers begged--that the game should not be released when it was, it was no-where near ready.  But I don't blame the publishers when it is clearly the game developers who were not up to the task. 
    If you had been one of the developers and the choices were either: Have the game cancelled and never see the light-of-day after years of development, or Have the game released before it is ready and be given 12 months to bring it up to speed.  Which would you pick?

It's interesting how many times we keep hearing about beta testers begging a publisher not to release a game...Tabula Rasa, Vanguard, Age of Conan, Pirates of the Burning Sea, Warhammer, etc.

Why even have a beta test period if you're not going to listen to your testers?

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154
    Originally posted by hatertots

Jircris,

It's interesting how many times we keep hearing about beta testers begging a publisher not to release a game...Tabula Rasa, Vanguard, Age of Conan, Pirates of the Burning Sea, Warhammer, etc.

LOL No Shit right? Wtf is the point if you dont care? This is the one thing i like about Darkfall. If they release in the 22 if Jan, they wont care what people think. they made the game they wanted.... Course thats what FLS said :p

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• _Shadowmage_Shadowmage Member Posts: 1,459

Originally posted by hatertots

Beta testers do a number of things - find bugs, find game-play issues, load test servers and game play etc. They also voice an opinion on whether they think the game is ready for release. The company providing the funds determines when the game is released.

I agree--heck all my fellow beta testers begged--that the game should not be released when it was, it was no-where near ready. But I don't blame the publishers when it is clearly the game developers who were not up to the task.

If you had been one of the developers and the choices were either: Have the game cancelled and never see the light-of-day after years of development, or Have the game released before it is ready and be given 12 months to bring it up to speed. Which would you pick?

Except in both cases - cancel the game or release its not the developers decision on when/if to release but the decision of the company providing the funding. In this case the publisher - NCSoft.

I dont blame NCSoft as they already cancelled the game once. Then allowed it to be restarted. Which is more than Sony would do. They would have pushed the original version (Vanguard) out the door.

However at the end of the day - money/time ran out and the game went out rather than delaying and incurring further development costs