Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IP's that could make great MMOrpg...

fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506

So what are some IP's that you think would make hot games.... especially an IP that you woulddrop every other MMORPG for.

Shadowrun - hands down one of the best IP's out there for a MMO.

Planescape - Infinite possibilities with a never ending multiverse.

Ravenloft - Could be one of the best horror enviroments around.

Those are my top three but there could be so many more? What is your top three? 

Comments

• EveeldourEveeldour Member UncommonPosts: 143

Yeah I agree with the Shadow Bane IP, done up like the old sega version. Good times :)

• TeflonEddieTeflonEddie Member Posts: 270

Firefly - Space based western.

KotOR - Jedi's done right.

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

Ill add in Highlander ...with servers offering Permadeath

Torrential

• nethervoidnethervoid Member UncommonPosts: 531

I'd have to say none.  Almost every game that has been great has had it's own IP, while most games (MMOs) that had a pre-conceived one from another medium (books, movies, etc) just plain sucked.  That's because usually what works well in a novel or movie does not translate well to thousands of people online at the same time.

Best example?  Jedi.  Rare in the movies...but you can't have a star wars MMO without having a billion jedi.

nethervoid - Est. '97
    [UO|EQ|SB|SWG|PS|HZ|EVE|NWN|WoW|VG|DF|SWTOR|SotA|BDO]
    24k subs YouTube Gaming channel

Originally posted by nethervoid

Best example?  Jedi.  Rare in the movies...but you can't have a star wars MMO without having a billion jedi.
    Precisely why SWG should have been set in the era after the movies or in the KOTOR timeframe.

• ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202

Originally posted by Czzarre

Ill add in Highlander ...with servers offering Permadeath
    Torrential
    I may not understand this right but cant they only be killed by a beheading?

If so i think permadeath should be there but it should be on rare occasions.

As for IP ME and Halo i would see Halo more as  planetside type game.

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.
    And then Nebraska would get nerfed.-pinkwood lotro fourms

AMD 4800 2.4ghz-3GB RAM 533mhz-EVGA 9500GT 512mb-320gb HD

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847

Tron

The game would be about people sitting at computers controlling avatars to do battle.

• TsnowTsnow Member Posts: 74

Stephen King's The Dark Tower.

"One word, Thundercougarfalconbird."

• Cabe2323Cabe2323 Member Posts: 2,939

Fire & Ice series

Dragonlance

Riftwar

Firefly

Mass Effect

World of Darkness (Not sure about CCP making it though  )

Warhammer 40K

Harry Potter (If done in a future setting where Harry is an NPC.  Like a teacher or Auror or something)

What I would really love is a MMo similar to Dark Age of Camelot but with realism.  No Magic at all.  Dark Age style combat with seiges, land capture, kingdom making, etc but with melee and ranged figting only. 

Currently playing:
    LOTRO & WoW (not much WoW though because Mines of Moria rocks!!!!)

Looking Foward too:
    Bioware games (Dragon Age & Star Wars The Old Republic)

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Michael Moorcocks "Elric" series...that would be cool. I don't know if there is enough of a fan base tho.

• greymanngreymann Member Posts: 757

Waterworld movie has great material for mmo. 

Factions: 

Good guys - Traders, Atoll Dwellers; 

Baddies - Smokers, Slavers

Races:

Human, mutants

A massive aquatic world with floating towns and barges, jetskis, fast sailboats, blimps etc.  Submarine questing. 

Main thrust of course: Find land

Expansion: Land found, fight over said land

Something like his would be a refreshing change.

Originally posted by greymann

Eww.. It'd make a decent FPS game I guess, but it'd be horribly limiting from a player perspective. No magic/stealth in the storyline so unless they just glue them into the game in an implausible manner (Jedi in SWG, Loremasters in LOTRO) the character archetypes would be pretty lacking in depth.
    It might make for a possible water based EVE clone maybe.

• greymanngreymann Member Posts: 757

Originally posted by TeflonEddie

Originally posted by greymann

Eww.. It'd make a decent FPS game I guess, but it'd be horribly limiting from a player perspective. No magic/stealth in the storyline so unless they just glue them into the game in an implausible manner (Jedi in SWG, Loremasters in LOTRO) the character archetypes would be pretty lacking in depth.
    It might make for a possible water based EVE clone maybe.

Lulz.  Oh no what would we ever do without our magic/stealth?  Oh Epic Mounts! Let's not forget those. 

Get creative.  Water everywhere.  Mutant has ability that let's him glide underwater toward victim and jumps out of water like the freak fishman he is and backstabs!!

/fixed

Oops, I meant "stun, backstab".  Sorry.  Oh sorry, "undead mutant rogue".  /fixed

• JsteinerJsteiner Member Posts: 217
    That was pretty creative.

The ultimate solution to every problem: more space marines.

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882

The Elder scrolls.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com