Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it worth the subscription?

So, with Pirates of the Caribbean Online, you can play for free, with restrictions to items, access, and advancement.  But for the subscription these restictions are lifted.  My question is, is it worth subscribing?  Is the game capable of sustaining fun and additional activities?  What makes this a better option over Pirates of the Burning Sea (other than the $5, which isn't that significant here)?  Are there gameplay benefits that PotBS doesn't have?

I have to say, PotBS does have its faults, and is not quite the right fit for me in its current stage.  But I would like to know what some more experienced players of PotCO have to say about the continuing gameplay after the free content.  What is there to keep you around, interested, and wanting to continue playing?

Comments

• BeaumanBeauman Member UncommonPosts: 142

Well, I can't really answer in the difference between the two games, as I am awaiting patch 1.5 for PoTBS and the two-week trial to give it a go (though unless the game is really in bad shape, I'll probably purchase and sub as a Pirate, as will most my household).

Pirates of the Carribean is a fun game, and honestly I didn't think it would be.  The quests are no different than in any other MMO, but I'm interested in seeing where the Black Pearl storyline goes.  Subscribing does unlock a lot of quests, which also makes getting gold (and thus better weapons, bigger ships, and the such feesable).  I subscribed to unlock all the weapon and vodoo restrictions, as well as the ship-owning restrictions, and enjoy the game even more.  Joining a good guild helps, too, and this site is great for meeting players: www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/index.php.

Also, I love the combat music taken right from the movies.

And while small, PoTBS needs a few more RP elements from my understanding.  I enjoy the parlor games in PoTCO.  Matter of fact, just the other day I was ship-wrecked by the East Indian Trading Company, and thought I would play some Blackjack to get some money back to account for my lost cargo (I didn't visit the shipwright to repair my ship, first).  Lost it all at the tables, and then couldn't repair my ship.  Did a little RP, and hitched a ride from Cuba to Port Royal, where I scuttled some Navy soldiers at the Fort to get some gold, repaired my ship, and plundered ships on the seas to replenish my funds.  A good day of piracy.

All in all, I enjoy the game a lot thus far, and if PoTBS grabs me during the trial then I plan to subscribe to both.  PoTBS for more serious gameplay, PoTCO for fun, in-and-out play with in-game friends.

Regards,

• Lady_FeiLady_Fei Member Posts: 17

The simple answer is: NO.

This game has more bugs and glitchy behavior than pre-nge SWG. There are numerous invulnerability glitches, and everyone is exploiting them to death. The game is highly unstable, crashes constantly, and has numerous design flaws.

Many of the glitches allow players to grief other players ingame, including using cannonfire to cause other players extreme lag ingame while trying to play.

This game is basically a severely bugged "GTA" in the 18th century, that has been dumbed down for the "kiddie" audience.

Pay for this and you are gambling with the odds that you'll have buyers remorse.

• FmrOprtrFmrOprtr Member Posts: 57
    Originally posted by Lady_Fei

The simple answer is: NO.

This game has more bugs and glitchy behavior than post-nge SWG. There are numerous invulnerability glitches, and everyone is exploiting them to death. The game is highly unstable, crashes constantly, and has numerous design flaws.

Many of the glitches allow players to grief other players ingame, including using cannonfire to cause other players extreme lag ingame while trying to play.

This game is basically a severely bugged "GTA" in the 18th century, that has been dumbed down for the "kiddie" audience.
    Pay for this and you are gambling with the odds that you'll have buyers remorse.

Fixed

• BaldyMikeBaldyMike Member Posts: 65

Hmmm,,,sounds interesting....a few more questions though.

1. What level do you get a ship...or can you at all on the F2P?

2. Is it open PvP or consentual?

or, are there RP/PvE servers?

3. Will it run on a mid to upper/mid level system?

Sry bout the simple questions, but I whent to the sight for game info and it seems you have to sign up to get any info...kept clicking "Game Info" and it kept taking me to the same "Join Now" screen.

Anyway...any info would be appreciated :)

I've seen things, you...people, wouldn't believe... . Attack ships on fire, off the shoulder of Orion... . I watched C-Beams, glitter in the darkness near the Tannhauser Gate... . All those...moments will be lost in time... . Like...tears...in the rain...
    Time to die.....
    Roy Batty
    Blade Runner

• wtpricewtprice Member Posts: 5

As for getting a ship, you get one almost immediately. Within the first ten minutes of questing. You start out with a Dingy for free and better ships come with the upgrade.

As for PVP, ship PVP is open, once you go to the quest to start. As for land PVP, you select the option to say you are open to PVP then you Teleport. It takes a couple of quests to get to it too.

I play on a laptop, Presario c700 standard and it plays well. I also play off of a cell phone for broadband internet, which is basically sat and yes I lag a little bit  sometimes, but it's completely playable for me. I have very little problems with gameplay.

Seriously, it takes all of 15 minutes to download the game and updates, try  the free version. You do get a lot out of it. If you want to do more, pay the subscription. I knew after about 24 hours I wanted to pay the little extra to have everything unlocked. Like every other game, some people like it, some people don't.

Don't expect hardcore MMORPG action, but it is fun, for me. I especially like the gambling and cheating parts. Like I said, there's lots to do with the game being free.

• sh4dowst4lkrsh4dowst4lkr Member Posts: 208

Honestly i dont think its worth it, imo. I mean if you enjoy it go ahead, but if you dont then dont pay. simple, just look at how you play, ask youself is this worth my time, then decide. I didnt mind PotBS.

• wtpricewtprice Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by sh4dowst4lkr

Honestly i dont think its worth it, imo. I mean if you enjoy it go ahead, but if you dont then dont pay. simple, just look at how you play, ask youself is this worth my time, then decide. I didnt mind PotBS.

I agree, that's why they have a free trial. Try it out, do you enjoy it, if it's worth the 10 bucks go for it, if not, don't.