Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What monsters scared you the most in all of the Mmorpg's you have played?

virtuellavirtuella Member UncommonPosts: 699

I've been cutting thorugh 18 mmorpg's since i started with Ultima Online back in 97 or 98 and there is 2 monsters that comes to my mind.

Everquest I: The Sharks.

The first time i swam across that big lake in a zone with the big birds on the islands and i encountered a shark in the water and it attacked me i jumped like 10 feet.

i guess Jaws had an effect on me after all since i saw it the first time when i was a wee little kid.

Asherons Call I. The Olthois.

Those alien lookalike beeings were not to mess with.Eeeek that olthoicave were a scary place.

Which monsters maded you jump several feet into the air?

Comments

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

EQ Skeletons.

Those bastards would scare the crap out of me when they snuck up and hit you from behind with that damn laugh...

EQ Sand Giants.

*Boom* what was that? *Boom* Wheres the sand giant? *Squish* Found em....

EQ The Unrest Hand.

Zone into an Index finger and death music....

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• WarblazeWarblaze Member UncommonPosts: 178

The Devilsaurs from wow, in un'goro crater.  I was walking around for the first time in Un'goro, just doing some quests. Right after i looted a mob I turned around and saw two giant claws, so i quickly zoomed out with my scroll wheel and turned the camera upwards and saw this giant head ful of sharp teeth comming at me... it scared me shitless, i even dropped my cigarette on the carpet :P 

here's the creep: www.wowwiki.com/Devilsaur

• CaesarsGhostCaesarsGhost Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

I like this thread, it's fun in comparison to the normal droll around here.

Project Entropia:

Those damn Atrox.  They used to run at like Mach 4 and were 1 shotting me and everybody I was playing with.  All you'd see is this blip on the radar running towards you and then all of a sudden this TRex was tbagging you and running back to it's patrol point.

It wasn't even visual on my screen before I gained agro.

Anarchy Online:

I can't, for the life of me, remember the name of this dog-like robot.  But you had to farm it to get the required mats to make a Stilleto.  He didn't have the best respawn rate either.

He was huge, but he also spawned a bunch of guys around him regularly who all seemed to have fully automatic weapons.

World of Warcraft:

It's not that this particular mob is scary, but I never see it coming.  The thing that looks like the Loch Ness Monster in the water... used to kill me off every single time because I just never saw it... dunno what setting I wasn't using correctly or what, but I NEVER saw it... I'd just start dying.

The Saga of Ryzom:

Atys.  You'd be out trying to harvest some mats and BOOM!  The ground beneath you would explode for like 1k damage.  I can't remember any other game where harvesting was basically more dangerous then the mobs.

Just to name a few... again: good thread.

- CaesarsGhost

Lead Gameplay and Gameworld Designer for a yet unnamed MMO Title.
    "When people tell me designing a game is easy, I try to get them to design a board game. Most people don't last 5 minutes, the rest rarely last more then a day. The final few realize it's neither fun nor easy."

• airstrikeairstrike Member UncommonPosts: 373

I find this thread very funny,aimed at kids that play MMOs ,right ?

• virtuellavirtuella Member UncommonPosts: 699

Originally posted by airstrike

I find this thread very funny,aimed at kids that play MMOs ,right ?

If you say so.

Then i'm a 39 year old kid

• TeflonEddieTeflonEddie Member Posts: 270

Devilsaurs in WoW was a good one; they moved faster than a mounted character and being chased by one was very.. Jurassic Park. In recent times, Striders in Tabula Rasa. Often the first thing I saw of them was a stream of fire that pretty much incinerated me.

Stalkers too; they dropped from the sky and when they land right in front of you and the ground shakes it's a guaranteed "gaargh wtf!?" moment.

• NeopsychNeopsych Member UncommonPosts: 324

;Nice topic.

Neocron would be my first nomination: Wandering around teh barren wastes to come across the dinosaurs and monsters they had there. They were tough, hunted in packs and were quite a perverse animation of a traditional dinosaur.

EQ2 would be my second nomination. The sharks, especially the epic whose name I cant remember, were very impressive and caught me unawares far too many times to admit. Terrrorantula is pretty impressive epic as well.

Eve, (not a traditional monster), the first time battleships, the gold versions, were trialled in the game post release. Seeing these huge ships slowly move toward you filled you with awe, until they totally pwned you with a one shot blast.

I think, except for Eve, its nothing to do with the quality of the animations of the detail in the model but either impressive size and difficulty of the monster or the fact they seemed so good at creeping up on you when you really should know better.

To err is human....to play is divine

• opensorcopensorc Member Posts: 5

FrEsH mEaT !!!

- OpenSorc

• virtuellavirtuella Member UncommonPosts: 699

Originally posted by Neopsych

I think, except for Eve, its nothing to do with the quality of the animations of the detail in the model but either impressive size and difficulty of the monster or the fact they seemed so good at creeping up on you when you really should know better.

Yeah size does not matter.

Everquest I had one small NPC called Nillipus the brownie in Rivervale and after he beat the crap out of you he ran around town bragging :D

He just popped up in my mind when you mentioned size.

• NeopsychNeopsych Member UncommonPosts: 324

Agree. Rivervale in EQ2 similarly is full of little things that hit large.

To err is human....to play is divine

• VincenzVincenz Member Posts: 1,498

There's an early quest in DDO where you are looking for a leader who's sparking a kobold uprising.  After carving your way through the dungeon, you finally come to a room where there's a heavily armored kobold who appears to be the leader...but dies rather easily.

Then the fun begins...you hear a bang...bang...bang coming from the door nearby, which splinters and out comes your first Ogre in the game...big, hairy, ugly, and club swinging...and can one hit kill most characters at that level if he gets a critical.

Scared the hell outta me the first time through

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

SWG & EVE

The Devs.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• vickypollardvickypollard Member Posts: 305

Originally posted by Agricola1

SWG & EVE
    The Devs.

:( Shame all good games get ruined.

For me I don't find mobs scary but SWG and EVE were the first games that actually made me fear a openent because of the death pens.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Originally posted by vickypollard

Originally posted by Agricola1

SWG & EVE
    The Devs.

:( Shame all good games get ruined.

For me I don't find mobs scary but SWG and EVE were the first games that actually made me fear a openent because of the death pens.

You were a Jedi? I was a BH and loved it, I did fear getting caught by a Krayt dragon back when it took a whole guild to take one down and not a noob in bone armour or whatever it is they wear now. Also those force wielding hags (always forget their names) used to whack me off my speeder on Dathomir I think it was, bet you could take them out today solo and unarmed!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• TrashcantoyTrashcantoy Member Posts: 827

all the WoW mobs scare me :p

but serious now... in AO theres some groundworms who scared the hell out of me when i first passed by and they jumped out the earth :p

MMOs currently playing: -
    About to play: Lord of the Rings Online
    Played: Anarchy Online (alltime favorite) and lots of f2p titles (honorable mentions: 9Dragons, Martial Heroes, Dekaron, Atlantica Online)

• DedthomDedthom Member Posts: 541

EQ spiders, the clacking noise haunted my dreams.

""But Coyote, you could learn! You only prefer keyboard and mouse because that's all you've ever known!" You might say right before you hug a rainforest and walk in sandals to your drum circle where you're trying to raise group consciousness of ladybugs or whatever it is you dirty goddamn hippies do when you're not busy smoking pot and smelling bad."
    Coyote's Howling: Death of the Computer

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515

Scare?????

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

• Big_spadeBig_spade Member Posts: 10

The Olthoi Queen in AC1...I don't know if she "scared" me but I knew if I drew aggro I was a goner!

• SouvecSouvec Member UncommonPosts: 698

Saga of Ryzom
    The Kittns' that would suddenly migrate within your dig zone. The combination of size with the shear roar given from these beasts was enough to get my attention.

EQ2
    The only thing I found relatively scary were the damn Halloween skeletons that would pop-up out of nowhere.

Tabula Rasa
    When I met face to face with my first Stalker. It was as if the War of the Worlds just landed on my doorstep and I had no where to run to. The sudden "BAMMM" leaving a giant metal shard unfolding before me, stretching into the sky... a red glare casting its gaze right in my direction.

Nothing has really made me jump from my chair or piss my pants, but there have been instances where I've been caught up in the sudden instance.

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129

Murlolcs.....hands down

• HairysunHairysun Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

Perhaps scared is a strong word but back when I started playing SWG I loved to go exploring the planets.  Dathomir was my favorite and in the south west corner of the planet I came across a cave that was filled with rancors.  After calling on some of my buddies they came out for a look. Took them an hour to get there as vehicles wern't in the game yet and a couple died along the way.

I just remember this feeling of "Impending Doom"......perhaps the atmosphere or just all the giant rancors and our low levels.  It wasn't long and the group was wiped but that experience still stands out in my mind. 

~Hairysun~

• Mari2kMari2k Member UncommonPosts: 367

In Wow this damn hidden spiders from BC. They make this scary sound when they apear.

• SainthoodSainthood Member Posts: 104

What are you like 10?  What mmo scared you the most. Thats the dumbest thing i have ever heard.

• BakoryoBakoryo Member UncommonPosts: 469

Originally posted by Sainthood

What are you like 10?  What mmo scared you the most. Thats the dumbest thing i have ever heard.

says the fella with the "Nerves of steel". Seriously. Let them have their fun. I like this thread. shows more maturity than the most others.

I haven't gotten that much into a game to actualyl be scaerd by it. But it would be something to see in the future mmo's though!

The speed of the mole and the power of steel is my weapon

• katriellkatriell Member UncommonPosts: 977

Couldn't think of anything the first two times I checked this thread, but reading Souvec's post I'm reminded of something in The Saga of Ryzom:

Back when there were Kitin patrols (composed of Kirosta, to be specific) in the Prime Roots (huge underground caves with pallid fauna, and ethereal glowing flora reminiscent of the deep ocean)...

I hadn't been playing long, only a month or two. A friend absconded me into the Abyss of Ichor to help him forage for high-grade crafting materials by applying "care plan" actions to the material sources he prospected to prevent them from exploding (see CaesarsGhost's post).

Upon entering the region, we hugged the cavern wall, slipping over to a relatively quiet corner. Found Excellent and Supreme shells. Started digging. Suddenly my friend hurried us to the farthest reaches of the corner, and as we stood as high against the wall as the ground incline allowed, about two dozen Kirosta began filing into the area from a nearby tunnel. Occasionally they stopped and looked around, mandibles twitching, as if they were nearly detecting us. Then they'd amble onward. The smaller ones scurried around the claws of the larger ones, sometimes darting outward, almost far enough to be in range of us. They all had an aggro radius approximately 30 metres longer than the average Kitin. Gradually they left, moving onward along their patrol route.

Every ten minutes or so (maybe less or more, I don't recall this detail well) they'd return and we'd abandon our digging to hide in the corner again as soon as we spotted their long, moving line of creature-coloured dots on the 125m range of the compass/radar...

-----------
    In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on August 13, 2008.