Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Downfall of WoW

PkhBaskoPkhBasko Member UncommonPosts: 59

Soon there will be many new releases of MMO's and I believe that *every* one of them will be better than WoW. However, in the long run I do believe that each and every one of those games will end up like WoW. Its not so much Blizzards fault as it is our own. People are constantly posting complaints about WoW therefore having blizzard make changes to the game. Thus far making more things for people to complain about. I play WoW myself and I find it quite boring. The PvP is not very good at all, and the PvE just takes WAAAAAAY too much time. I have a life unlike some people that play WoW. I cannot devote 3-5 hours 3-5 days a week.

List your reasons for WoW's downfall...

Comments

• bmcinvaillebmcinvaille Member Posts: 209

I played WOW since open beta and I enjoyed myself. Yes I have alot of time on my hands and could devote time for raiding and such. I pvp'd at first when it came out and it was sorta fun with all the town raids and all this. But it did get boring for me after the years. I cannot complain I got my moneys worth from the game and I enjoyed myself no game has yet brought me that feeling I have since left WOW and I am playing LOTRO now. It doesn't give me that feeling and I already have 2 level 50's on there. WOW kinda spoiled me like it others. I did play other games back before WOW and also during WOW. Its simple to get into and fun to play when you start out. But as you said end game is very time consuming and not meant for the casual player.

I have my faith in AOC and WAR I think. I wanna get more into PVP and have something different. LOTRO is kind of the same old with not much end game content as of yet to enjoy. Right now I am taking what comes along until another game really grabs me and gets me consumed again. I do not wanna see the downfall of WOW really but it will run its course and people will lose focus eventually. But right now I do not see it happening for awhile. I hear people say blah blah will be a Wow killer. I just want companies to make great games that we can enjoy everyone wants something different and the people in WOW enjoy it the people who aren't do not. So do as I am see what comes along and when that next GREAT game hits and it gets 10 million customers it will be the same thing as WOW. So go with the great games coming out do not worry about killing off another franchise and let the game whatever it may be speak for itself and create its own huge customer base :).

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

There have been people complaining about World of Warcraft for 3 years now, and the game has only increased in size and It's not like no competition has been released. There are people complaining about EVERY mmorpg. Visit any forum of any mmorpg and you will find complaints. You'll find people complaining about the new mmorpg's as well, because an mmorpg never satisfies somebody 100%.

You might not enjoy WoW, But there are lots of people who do. What you have been saying is what we have been hearing for over  3 years. I don't see any reason why this would be different.

• bmcinvaillebmcinvaille Member Posts: 209
    Originally posted by Gameloading

There have been people complaining about World of Warcraft for 3 years now, and the game has only increased in size, and It's not like no competition has been released. There are people complaining about EVERY mmorpg. Visit any forum of any mmorpg and you will find complaints. You'll find people complaining about the new mmorpg's as well, because an mmorpg never satisfied somebody 100%.
    You might not enjoy WoW, But there are lots of people who do. What you have been saying is what we have been hearing for over  3 years. I don't see any reason why this would be different.

/agree I loved WOW the time I was in it but for me it was time to move on and find something new. I wasn't getting as much enjoyment anymore so I left while I still liked the game. I made alot of friends there over there years I formed friendships that have been going on for 3 years now.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

both AOC and WAR may send *new mmo players* packing to WOW if they have poor experiences

I wish AOC and WAR success

but history is scattered with gaming duds, that were supposedly going to be "killers"

- Anarachy Online

- Dark Age of Camelot <-- not a dud  but was no killer

- Shadowbane  <--- talk about overhyped

- Horizons

- Vanguard

Games in Development are rarely the next new mmo "smash hit " - only the hype is

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

Its not a WoW downfall, what it will be is a WoW decline.

And this is normal. This should be expected. It is what we saw in games that came before WoW..it happened in UO, happened in EQ1.

WoW has dominated the market for 3 years. The playerbase has burnt out on the game, yet the most recent MMOs have been underwhelming. We dont know what will happen in 2008, perhaps WAR and AoC will be dissapointing (I hope not). But a steady decline in subscriptions should be expected over the next year nonetheless.

Also, dont start euligizing (SP?) WoW just yet, remember those other MMOs ...EQ1, UO? ..they are still around and both recently released expansions. WoW will be a solid game for years

Torrential

• TeflonEddieTeflonEddie Member Posts: 270

WoW will not die due to the newer MMO's.

When WAR and AoC are released, it will decline in it's North American and (especially) it's European subscriptions, however it's Asian subscriptions (and bear in mind that the vast majority of it's subscriptions are from Asia, around 6 million) will likely not be affected by the release of newer MMO's that have much higher system requirements.

WoW gets a LOT of hype about it's 10 million subscribers but the truth is that it's EU market is only around 2 million and I imagine a good portion of those numbers come from people with 2nd and 3rd (etc) accounts. WAR is being made in partnership with a very recognisable brand-name over here; (there's a Games Workshop about half a mile from my house) and of course everyone loves Conan.

Both games will likely erode WoW's market share over here quite a bit.

• Joshua69Joshua69 Member UncommonPosts: 953

at this point... it will be extremly difficult for WoW to die. there are to many people playing! relatives, friends, enemies, everyone plays it. and  i think that thats 40% of the reason its still surviving. Alot of MMO's die out because they lose player base. even thow WoW flucuates, people return because of friends.

However, there is alot happening in the console and MMO world. Star Craft 2. Gears of war 2. WAR. AoC. Deffinetly good games coming up to drive people away from WoW, but will it be enough? also later titles such as, Final Fantasy 13, Kingdom Hearts. I know Harvest Moon for Wii is ganna keep me busy lol

• PkhBaskoPkhBasko Member UncommonPosts: 59

This is not a thread saying that WoW will die like everyone thinks it is. It is just a place to let out what you believe will happen. I'm not saying WoW will die at all because it won't. Out of the 10 million customers someone has to like it, right?

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

This thread deserves a pony:

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• Joshua69Joshua69 Member UncommonPosts: 953

Originally posted by PkhBasko

This is not a thread saying that WoW will die like everyone thinks it is. It is just a place to let out what you believe will happen. I'm not saying WoW will die at all because it won't. Out of the 10 million customers someone has to like it, right?

lol. yes. but i do hope that it dies at some point. i like WoW, but its takeing people away from ACTUALL MMORPG's. enough of this kiddie ****!!!

• DragonOpt1DragonOpt1 Member Posts: 78

I've played wow ever since it was released, I still think it's a nice game. I just left after this last patch for LOTRO. Why? Because the pvp isn't what it use to be, before BC was released pvp was fun. I think flying mounts ruined world pvp and resilence messed it up as well. I had a warlock with 400+ resilence and 1k+ spell damage, yet the game just got boring, it was the same thing over and over, same av same instances. After every patch nothing really caught my eye and made me want to stay any longer. LOTRO isn't as good as wow pvp wise, I think if they would have added a monster side and had world pvp it would have been better but understand they didn't want that. LOTRO has much much better instances and a better story, this is why I think wow will start to see people leave for these new games like aoc and war. Because they offer something new and different, wow is a great game and I missed killing alliance but too much of the same thing with little change gets old just took me a little longer to see there's more out there with better things to offer.

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

You have to remember not everyone plays WOW I never liked fantasy MMOs if I want a real fantasy game that has a real challenge Ill play Neverwinter Nights, Elder Scrolls Series , or Ultima, WOW may be for the masses but not everyone dances to the same beat of the masses...

• RecantRecant Member UncommonPosts: 1,586

Threads like these pop up from time to time, god knows there were hundreds before TBC came out.

Wrath of the Lich King will pretty much silence the naysayers for a few months, increase the size of the game even more, but after a while we'll have them crawling back out discussing the downfall of WoW.

You don't need to like WoW to recognize that it's going to dominate for a long time to come, especially with Wrath of the Lich king, which imo will steal the thunder of AoC and WAR in ways that will make WoW haters weep.

But enough predicting the future, lets wait and see.  If I was a betting man, I know where my money would be right now :P

Still waiting for your Holy Grail MMORPG? Interesting...

• Katashi-kunKatashi-kun Member Posts: 517

Downfall of WoW!?!?!?   NOOOOOO, all those whiny noobs will invade WAR and stuff...they should stay with WoW.  This giant dancing banana of blockage +7 will thwart all those attempting to leave WoW....back stupid ppl back....

Kemih ~ 13 Red Mage | Currently playing FFXI & LOTRO, awaiting Warhammer Online & Aion...

• RecantRecant Member UncommonPosts: 1,586

Giant dancing banana won't have a lot of people to block tbh :P

Still waiting for your Holy Grail MMORPG? Interesting...

• RespyShuntRespyShunt Member Posts: 396

Soon there will be many new releases of MMO's and I believe that *every* one of them will be better than WoW. However, in the long run I do believe that each and every one of those games will end up like WoW. Its not so much Blizzards fault as it is our own. People are constantly posting complaints about WoW therefore having blizzard make changes to the game. Thus far making more things for people to complain about. I play WoW myself and I find it quite boring. The PvP is not very good at all, and the PvE just takes WAAAAAAY too much time. I have a life unlike some people that play WoW. I cannot devote 3-5 hours 3-5 days a week.

i didnt even know there was a downfall.  I liked WoW when i played for a good few months then quit, then played another few months.  its got alot of quality.  although im comparing this to the many free to play games that are garbage,  Its easy to party, theres tons of people to play with.  interface is easy and the game runs really smoothly.  There are many new extremely good games coming out though, so that may be the downfall.  AoC for example.  WAR, Aion, etc

• CyberWizCyberWiz Member UncommonPosts: 914

Originally posted by Martie
    Oh god here we go again, another wow will die thread.  Vanguard, lotro, Potbs, TR etc etc etc  All so  called next gen wow killers.  Im not even going to start on war and aoc, both those games will be delayed for so called polish for ever lol.

While you keep saying wow will die, it only gets bigger and bigger, so either there is something wrong with you , or their is somethimng wrong with the games you play or dont play.

Honestly, not one of the games you mentioned was supposed to be a WoW killer.

About the delay for so called polish, WAR is only in development for 2,5 years now, WoW was in development for like 3 - 4 years?

There is only 1 game that may end up putting a dent in WoW's subs ( at least here in Europe and in the US ) and that will be WAR.

Just as I predicted that WoW would end up with more then 4 million players, I predict now that WAR will end up with more then 1 million players.

So not a WoW killer, but heavy competition.

Greetz.

If you are interested in subscription or PCU numbers for MMORPG's, check out my site :
    http://mmodata.blogspot.be/
    Favorite MMORPG's : DAoC pre ToA-NF, SWG Pre CU-NGE, EVE Online

• Originally posted by CyberWiz

Originally posted by Martie

Oh god here we go again, another wow will die thread.  Vanguard, lotro, Potbs, TR etc etc etc  All so  called next gen wow killers.  Im not even going to start on war and aoc, both those games will be delayed for so called polish for ever lol.

While you keep saying wow will die, it only gets bigger and bigger, so either there is something wrong with you , or their is somethimng wrong with the games you play or dont play.

Honestly, not one of the games you mentioned was supposed to be a WoW killer.

About the delay for so called polish, WAR is only in development for 2,5 years now, WoW was in development for like 3 - 4 years?

There is only 1 game that may end up putting a dent in WoW's subs ( at least here in Europe and in the US ) and that will be WAR.

Just as I predicted that WoW would end up with more then 4 million players, I predict now that WAR will end up with more then 1 million players.

So not a WoW killer, but heavy competition.

Greetz.

AoC has already said it can't be a WoW killer. It doesn't have the advertising, it doesn't have the brand name backing, and it can't appeal to the tween/pre-teen like WoW does due to the mature rating. They have said it will be solid sales, and grab the audience it planned on grabbing, and its goal is to maintain those people. WAR will hardly kill WoW as it will be primarily be pvp and balanced PVP which WoW lacks, and people like the WoW pvp being broken which is fine, but not what WAR is offering. WAR was also in development 2 years prior to EA getting it, and it will be under EA for 1.5 years coming July. WoW started in 2000 so not as much time in development which was obvious by what the game was lacking the first 6 months.

• green13green13 Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

1) Everything ends.

End of list.

WoW isn't going to have a downfall and they're not going to disappear overnight when all these new mmos come out.

Yes, most of these mmos will be superior to WoW. Yes, WoW will lose players to them. But for some part of the mmo population, WoW will remain the mmo best suited to them and their subscriptions will keep it alive.

WoW had a great run, made bucketloads of money, and swelled the mmo population. Kudos to Blizzard. Lots of things I didn't like about the game, but it has done wonderful things for the mmo industry.

I also think you're off-track thinking all these new games will end up like WoW. What I see is upcoming mmo developers specifically addressing many of WoW's shortfalls. Their mistakes have been learned from and won't be repeated (as much).

• KrayzjoelKrayzjoel Member Posts: 906

Wow will diminish in time. The new expansion pack coming out will bring lots back to the fold but not long. maybe in couple years wow will decline, but im sure blizzard will have World of starcraft  working to keep its money flow going.

Wow isnt going anywhere right now. I dont play it anymore due to various reasons but its still a great game.  Ppl mainly continue to play due to the fact that there are alot of ppl still playing that can help with quests.

The real question is.....If  WOW does begin to decline what will happen to the 25-40 man raid instances?

Played : WOW, LOTRO, COH/COV, EQ2, SWG, and WAR.
    Playing EVE Online and AOC.
    Wtg for SW:TOR and WOD

• green13green13 Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

Originally posted by Krayzjoel

The real question is.....If  WOW does begin to decline what will happen to the 25-40 man raid instances?

I've also stopped playing, but last I heard from friends who still do, the 25-40 player raid instances have already fallen by the wayside. Like I think they've dropped back to 25 now for instances like MC.

• IllyrianIllyrian Member Posts: 300

Well, WoW starts to show its age.

I cannot speak for others but my main reason for leaving was the endless gear grind - grind raids/arenas/PvP. I think the grind race slowly phases out more casual/older players thus causing slow degrading of the game's community.

Now, I don't have time to raid anymore and I really don't want to. While it was fun for awhile I started to feel like it was a second job and not a casual fun. I have level 70 in Kara gear but that gear is quite simply obsolete in comparison with gear from later raids and arenas.

I don't expect to have the same quality of gear like a hardcore raider (me disliking the philosophy of hardcore raider is a different matter) but pre TBC I was at least mildly competitive for both PvE and PvP. Quite simply I am not anymore and the only way for me to change that is devoting at least a few months to raiding/arean play.

I went to LOTRO where I can play more casaully and equip myself with decent combination of items from quests/reputation/raids/instances/quests. Quite simply this pace offers much more flexibility then WoW model of raids/arenas. Don't get me wrong, my gear is still only say 80% of what a well geared raider would have but we are close enough. Gear yourself with blues and purples from WoW instances and rep and you are less then say 25% in comparison to raider/arena goer. To simplify I have a sporting chance to fight LOTRO hardcore raider of same class and level, in WoW I am dead just on the gear difference alone.

That is my impression and I don't think much changed from six months ago when I left. The rift between casual and hardcore became too wide.

• Alan0nAlan0n Member Posts: 576

Wow has lost it - In terms of basic fundementals of MMO playing.  That is in terms of balance.

It has lost balance in terms of PVP versus PVE.  

It has lost ALL balance in terms of classes - both in PVE and PVP. 

BLizzard have done some fundemental mistakes with the game in TBC.  Sadly one person was allowed to destroy a good balanced gameplay by bringing in Arenas where 2 ppl could progress in unbalanced gameplay to get endgame items.  Thats not MMO. 

I will never forgive Blizzard for the way they have treated my spec in the last 4 patches.  I quit WoW on the eve of new patch when it came aparent that they don't care about individals and their longterm progress - but rather are favoring certain classes that already have it very good. 

Thats why I quit.  And thats why I will keep Proofing the point that devs that behave like that should NEVER be allowed so much as TOUCH a MMO game again.

And THAT is the downfall of WOW.

• methoddmethodd Member Posts: 32

WoW is a great game, WoW gave me a lot of fun, but thous days are over now. For me it's time to move on. And hopefully AoC will deliver what I want :) We'll see.

P.S However, Blizzard has done a great job to mmo industry, mmo's are much more popular than they were used to.

• Apache_Apache_ Member Posts: 168

Originally posted by Krayzjoel

Wow will diminish in time. The new expansion pack coming out will bring lots back to the fold but not long. maybe in couple years wow will decline, but im sure blizzard will have World of starcraft  working to keep its money flow going.
    Wow isnt going anywhere right now. I dont play it anymore due to various reasons but its still a great game.  Ppl mainly continue to play due to the fact that there are alot of ppl still playing that can help with quests.

I agree that the expansion will bring back players who may have quit before.  But for me personally, when this next expansion comes out I will be leaving WoW.  I wasnt  a big fan of TBC, and absolutely hated Outlands.  Nagrand was the only area I liked.

WoW is a good game.  I like it.  But I grow tired of the leveling,  and the constand grind for gear.  Running the same instances over and over and over just hopeing for that piece to drop.  Or living day in and day out in BG's for gear.    Wich doesnt make much sense right now to me because once the expansion comes out, the greens that you get in the first area will be just as good as any blues and maybe some epics you get from OL.   Just like when TBC went live.

So even though WoW is a great game, and I know the expansion will be done great...  I just dont have that kind of drive anymore.

On Topic:  WoW isnt going anywhere.  Its way too big, and way too popular.   The new games coming out might put a ding in thier sub numbers, but  WoW  is many peoples first MMO.  They will leave to try out the new games, but eventually they will go back to where they feel comfortable and Blizzard will be there waiting with open arms.   

I have no doubt  WoW  will one day die.  But not for a long while to come.

/cheers