Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

pre-cu vets, you have to read this /moved

Pjay2kPjay2k Member CommonPosts: 260

you want a sandbox style game?
you are tired of cookie-cutter wow clones?
you want full player looting in pvp?
you want to steal mounts and dont like "store mount" which makes a mount dissapear to nowhere?
you want to attack everyone everywhere?
you want completely freedom?
then check this out, its a must read and the devs of this game are farer then anyone else thought...
this could be the final answer to the pre-cu vets question..
http://www.warcry.com/articles/view/devjournals/darkfalljournals/3070-Darkfall-Dev-Journal-24-Full-Freedom-Gameplay-and-Substance

"Darkfall is a sandbox game, the storyline connects everything without being overbearing. It's about substance and it's not bogged down by franchise or license requirements. You won't be buried under tomes of lore just to know what you're doing in the world. The players in Darkfall start fresh and will ultimately write their own stories and shape the world. In Darkfall the lore supports the gameplay, and not the other way around. There will be many of you that never read a single line of lore in this or any other game they play. In this game, this won't hold you back."
enjoy

SOE and NGE-Star Wars Galalaxies:
Raph Koster: "It's like dumping the girlfriend who has always been patient and loving to chase after the supermodel who probably won't love you back."

Comments

• HozloffHozloff Member Posts: 193

Well I dont really understand why they focused so much on the lore (or lack thereof). I do not see this as a problem that will hinder any freedom or restrain a character from following his own path.

In fact, in early SWG it was exciting how many players would commit to their faction so ferverantly that they would not even speak or deal with the the opposing force.

What they really need to create are rich features that enable player-driven content, interdependancy, uniquness, customisation and so on and so forth.

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851

Originally posted by Pjay2k
    you want to steal mounts and dont like "store mount" which makes a mount dissapear to nowhere?
    then check this out, its a must read and the devs of this game are farer then anyone else thought...
    http://www.warcry.com/articles/view/devjournals/darkfalljournals/3070-Darkfall-Dev-Journal-24-Full-Freedom-Gameplay-and-Substance

"Darkfall is a sandbox game, the storyline connects everything without being overbearing. It's about substance and it's not bogged down by franchise or license requirements. You won't be buried under tomes of lore just to know what you're doing in the world. The players in Darkfall start fresh and will ultimately write their own stories and shape the world. In Darkfall the lore supports the gameplay, and not the other way around. There will be many of you that never read a single line of lore in this or any other game they play. In this game, this won't hold you back."
    enjoy

Wrong Darkfall is fantasy SWG players will want something sci-fi and there is an indi-dev team working on one that will work just like SWG, it's called W.E.L.L. Online heres a link to check it out if you haven't heard about it, can't wait myself. The other option and another great looking MMO is Earthrise, waiting for this as well. Both indi-devs, both have great potential and a cure for the standard grinders.

[[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • IkonicIkonic Member UncommonPosts: 310

enjoy

You forgot to add...

Very few updates, the developers throw the fanbois a bone every 3-6 months to get the hype-ball rolling again

More than likely not to be released this decade

• HozloffHozloff Member Posts: 193

[QUOTE]Enjoy the smooth and flowing gameplay, the fast paced action, and the highly responsive controls. You can forget about point - click - and wait: In Darkfall, the action is real-time and your character feels like an extension of yourself.[/QUOTE]

Could someone please clarify to me what "fast paced action"  is? I have been reading this a lot in games recently and every time I read this I think of the NGE - people speeding like hamsters whistl mindlessly shooting at whatever comes their way.

Is this what it means?

Originally posted by Hozloff
    Enjoy the smooth and flowing gameplay, the fast paced action, and the highly responsive controls. You can forget about point - click - and wait: In Darkfall, the action is real-time and your character feels like an extension of yourself.
    Could someone please clarify to me what "fast paced action" is? I have been reading this a lot in games recently and every time I read this I think of the NGE - people speeding like hamsters whistl mindlessly shooting at whatever comes their way.
    Is this what it means?

Basically these days anything that doesn't require smashing buttons to blow off your skills is considered fast pace. Think counter strike like, you run around kill some dude, its fast you have a fire fight and one is the victor then you do it again until the round is over or your dead. It would be played like that real-time.

[[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.

Originally posted by forthelulz
    darkfail

Wow awesome thx for your input that certainly shed some light on the subject...

• ThunderousThunderous Member Posts: 1,152

It's almost like people WANT Darkfall to fail...

IF Darkfall launches, and it has even 1/2 of the features the developers claim the game has then it is going to be HANDS DOWN the best MMO ever released.  It plays like Elder Scrolls Oblivion but is in a 100% open sandbox world.

Sci-Fi or not, this game will simply blow away anything that we have seen.

So I really hope they succeed, if it takes them 10 years to get it right, at least they get it right.  It's ambitious, it's innovative, and I hope to one day get the chance to play the game.

Tecmo Bowl.

Originally posted by Thunderous
    IF Darkfall launches, and it has even 1/2 of the features the developers claim the game has then it is going to be HANDS DOWN the best MMO ever released. It plays like Elder Scrolls Oblivion but is in a 100% open sandbox world.
    So I really hope they succeed, if it takes them 10 years to get it right, at least they get it right. It's ambitious, it's innovative, and I hope to one day get the chance to play the game.

I get the same feeling, I don't label it vaporware and see it as a game in development. Sure it's the longest MMO ever in development time, but hey they must really care. I too hope it succeeds.

• rejadrejad Member Posts: 346

Hey I'm rooting for them too but I ain't holding my breath.

• Pjay2kPjay2k Member CommonPosts: 260

IF Darkfall launches, and it has even 1/2 of the features the developers claim the game has then it is going to be HANDS DOWN the best MMO ever released.  It plays like Elder Scrolls Oblivion but is in a 100% open sandbox world.
    So I really hope they succeed, if it takes them 10 years to get it right, at least they get it right.  It's ambitious, it's innovative, and I hope to one day get the chance to play the game.

same here...

I dont even understand why people want this game to fail, because it has exactly the key elements everyone who plays mmos for a long time is looking for...

its innovative and something completeley different and as a pre-cu vet I support sandbox style gameplay, beeing able to do whatever you wanna do, with almost no restrictions...

I support open pvp and hardcore game system like attacking everyone, everywhere... each time you walk arround you have to fear that you can be attacked and loose your items... you have to re-think your actions and where you go and might need support of your mates...

thats just absolutely amazing and allows a completely new way of playing a mmo...

SOE and NGE-Star Wars Galalaxies:
    Raph Koster: "It's like dumping the girlfriend who has always been patient and loving to chase after the supermodel who probably won't love you back."

• BakoryoBakoryo Member UncommonPosts: 469

This game.. Darkfall. Ive followed it since i heard about it years ago. You know what? It's been the same for several years "Open beta soon!" "We are soon going to release a beta date" soon soon soon..

They have promised things that they haven't hold for several years. And yes, i'd love darkfall to be released, because it's the only game that has that many features that i love.

But im being realistic. It's heading very quickly down to be a vaporware. Which sucks bigtime. But ah well.. In the year of 2050 i guess we will have Darkfall along with Duke Nukem forever! :D

The speed of the mole and the power of steel is my weapon

• downtoearthdowntoearth Member Posts: 3,558

read the dev journal i dont see a soon there the have 1 publishing decision made 1 more to go read dev journal 24 and you will see : ) im guessing beta will be starting within 6 months my guess is 3 months but im saying 6months to be conserative. because it garrenteed by then

• downtoearthdowntoearth Member Posts: 3,558
    Originally posted by Ikonic

enjoy

You forgot to add...

Very few updates, the developers throw the fanbois a bone every 3-6 months to get the hype-ball rolling again

More than likely not to be released this decade

updates ussly every 2 weeks so what you talking about they missed some yes but meh.

BTW the people that saying the game wont ever reach release it will go to beta this year no if and or buts about it i cant proove it you will just have to wait and see then what you going to say?

• BakoryoBakoryo Member UncommonPosts: 469

Indeed, so don't you come here and say it will be released in 6months. Because that would be as last year when they said exactly the same. so meh, they don't even have closed beta yet? And don't say "yes they do!" because the closest you get is clan beta which i don't even has begun yet.

The speed of the mole and the power of steel is my weapon

• ghost047ghost047 Member UncommonPosts: 597

Originally posted by HashBrick

Wrong Darkfall is fantasy SWG players will want something sci-fi and there is an indi-dev team working on one that will work just like SWG, it's called W.E.L.L. Online heres a link to check it out if you haven't heard about it, can't wait myself. The other option and another great looking MMO is Earthrise, waiting for this as well. Both indi-devs, both have great potential and a cure for the standard grinders.
    You should have a look at Earthrise if you are looking for a Sci-Fi game. I took a look at the WELL site and imo, it just looks like another fantasy game with Sci-Fi element, I do not see how I can think it is Sci-Fi when all the screenshots shows forest and when you can play as a Lizard or the other race can transform into wolves, sounds pretty fantasy for me. Remind me of Tabula Rasa, they claim it is Sci-Fi, but you spend all your time in forest, but you have a gun instead of a sword, which you can also have. Sci-fi does not only means guns and ships, but also the landscape, look at game like CoX, Matrix or AO to see city landscape.

Get a life you freaking Gamer.....no no, you don't understand, I'm a Gamer, I have many lives!!

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Originally posted by downtoearth

read the dev journal i dont see a soon there the have 1 publishing decision made 1 more to go read dev journal 24 and you will see : ) im guessing beta will be starting within 6 months my guess is 3 months but im saying 6months to be conserative. because it garrenteed by then
    It would be nice if you were correct in 6 months time but I fear we're more likley to have an SWG Pre-CU server before Darkfall goes live. DF has too few Developers working on a too large project, promising open beta every year. Then it never happens and we get to next year and it all happens again, it's just a vapourware hamster wheel. A permanent cycle of getting any gamers that will listen all juiced up into a rabid frenzy before a long uncomfortable silence, then next year comes around and we start afresh.

I hope DF does get released, but with the skeleton crew in Greece that are working on it right now I doubt anything as good as the years of hype I've been subjected too will be the result. I'm going with AoC right now.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• vickypollardvickypollard Member Posts: 305

People keep saying Darkfall but tbh it's going to turn out as another Dark and Light so don't bother getting excited... I said Dark and Light would suck before release and people just fanboi flamed me as usual.

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

Would love  this  being released cause DarkFall supports some  features (on paper or implemented doesn't matter at this point)   i want to be part of.

And i like their  statements  remind me of developers rather then the usually business/sales craptalk from other unlikable companies like $OE for example.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

One of the reasons I really am hoping Darkfall will be released is, not only the promised gameplay, I think this game could bring back the guild.

By that I mean a guild of friends that actually does things together instead of joining up and basically being nothing more than a chat room. And a rarely used chat room at that.

I don't have anything against Warcraft, I still play it and enjoy it, but I DO think it helped bring about the downfall of the tight knit guild.

I miss the days of logging into the game and knowing that the guild would be there. And not some 250+ member guild either. My guild back in EQ, the one I miss, only had around 20-25 members and really only about 12 of us were the core. You just don't get stuff like that in any of the games today.

Anyway, if Darkfall does release I think it will bring back tight guilds where the members actually care about the other members and the guild as a whole.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• ThunderousThunderous Member Posts: 1,152

Here is my opinion of Darkfall having followed it in frustration for years...

1.)  They are obviously taking their time.  Remember this project began years ago, before WoW hit the scene.

2.)  I am assuming they want a nearly 100% functional game BEFORE launch, even before Beta takes place.  Imagine playing a Beta where you actually DID test how the game functions as a completed work...

3.)  They have funding.  They have resources so why would they rush out a game that is incomplete?  It makes no sense.

Most importantly:  Darkfall has to hit a HOMERUN immediately.  It's a niche market and it they put out something that isn't ready then it will fail to recoup the invested hours of labor and development cost.  Darkfall MUST be 100% ready to blow us away when it launches.

Darkfall is so much more ambitious than any other MMO out there.  Northing is close.  AoC isn't even in the same ballpark.  These developers will be millionaires if this game succeeds, they work for 15 years and can live as millionaires.  So I once again ask...  Why wouldn't they take their time?

Tecmo Bowl.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

I gave up on Darkfall years ago, when I filled out the survey to get into the 2005 beta that never happened. This was after there was supposed to be a beta in 2003 and 2004 and wasn't.

Darkfall might deserve some attention AFTER it actually gets released, and not before.

• DrEvil263DrEvil263 Member Posts: 61

and i thought this thread was going to be about something intresting.

• hisengalhisengal Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by downtoearth

updates ussly every 2 weeks so what you talking about they missed some yes but meh.
    BTW the people that saying the game wont ever reach release it will go to beta this year no if and or buts about it i cant proove it you will just have to wait and see then what you going to say?

why do you belive that... they promised beta testing in 2003

• hisengalhisengal Member Posts: 6

Here is my opinion of Darkfall having followed it in frustration for years...
    1.)  They are obviously taking their time.  Remember this project began years ago, before WoW hit the scene.
    2.)  I am assuming they want a nearly 100% functional game BEFORE launch, even before Beta takes place.  Imagine playing a Beta where you actually DID test how the game functions as a completed work...
    3.)  They have funding.  They have resources so why would they rush out a game that is incomplete?  It makes no sense.
    Most importantly:  Darkfall has to hit a HOMERUN immediately.  It's a niche market and it they put out something that isn't ready then it will fail to recoup the invested hours of labor and development cost.  Darkfall MUST be 100% ready to blow us away when it launches.
    Darkfall is so much more ambitious than any other MMO out there.  Northing is close.  AoC isn't even in the same ballpark.  These developers will be millionaires if this game succeeds, they work for 15 years and can live as millionaires.  So I once again ask...  Why wouldn't they take their time?
    beta testing is to find the last bugs of the game and make it perfect

not to play a perfect game