Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Click to move

Dear Asian MMO Developers,

It's no longer 1998. No WASD option is unacceptable. Click to move is unbearable.

Love,

the 21st century.

Comments

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

epic thread.

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

We'll be seeing new games with click to move the the next 10 to 20 years yet.  In some implementations it's more lag tolerant than text based games.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• PonicoPonico Member UncommonPosts: 650

I like the click to ove system in Mabinogi. The camera is not silly so it’s easy to use. I’m a pro hardcore WASD due to FPS games and such.

• DraganceDragance Member Posts: 90

so theres no WASD, or directional arrow moving options? i was thinking of maby downloading but then i saw this and had a lot of secound thoguhts, can someone reply?

• rznkainrznkain Member Posts: 539
    Originally posted by Breezer19103

It's no longer 1998. No WASD option is unacceptable. Click to move is unbearable.

Love,

the 21st century.

Amen anytime I see a game is click to move it gets passed over right then and there.Dunno why its so hard for them to give us key options most serious mmogs won't play a crappy click to move game they need to stop tryin to shove it down our throats.PEOPLE DONT LIKE IT STOP DOING IT YOUR COSTING YOUR GAME AND COMPANY MONEY REVENUE.

• Redon1973Redon1973 Member Posts: 33

I used to think that way too. Although I haven't tried Mabinogi, I've found that click to move has it's place. You can kick back with a brew in one hand and the mouse in the other. Not bad.....

• RelCenturicaRelCenturica Member Posts: 80

The Click to Move system sucks. Its like the early versions of PODbot when bots get stuck in the corners of terrain.

The waypointing system with the minimap sucks too. How does one waypoint his toon when the map is so small and yet there is no BIG map option. (Yes, the only map you get is the minimap)

Get with the program. WASD now!

"There's one MMO developer that doesn't want the money put in front of them - SOE"

• putridmistputridmist Member Posts: 10

Lol maybe because this game is pretty old?

I don't know anything about programing but I'm sure to make characters move with keys require them to change something and that's epic-number crunching. Stop comparing low budget games with games like WoW.

• Cypt1Cypt1 Member UncommonPosts: 283

Originally posted by putridmist

Lol maybe because this game is pretty old?

I don't know anything about programing but I'm sure to make characters move with keys require them to change something and that's epic-number crunching. Stop comparing low budget games with games like WoW.

I hardly think that complaining about the lack of a basic mechanic such as WASD movement is unacceptable; after all, many other "low-budget" games provide the users with such an option (e.g. DOMO).

• putridmistputridmist Member Posts: 10

My mistake, let me clarify.

If WASD function is the only reason you don't want to play this game I doubt you'd enjoy the game that much to begin with.

What I meant by low-budget is that because they are low-budge they can't change the programming so easily.

This game is pretty old. Not that old but somewhat. To ask it to change its basic engine so it works with WASD would require "something" that I do not know.

But, they could who knows. There is no fault in asking. Did you try to send an e-mail to the game developers?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear, Mabinogi Developers

LF WASD PST

-Gamer

re: WASD??!?

Dear, Gamer

rgr rgr.

-Mabinogi Managment

If they thought it was valuable to the players to have WASD I'm sure they would have already made it possible.

Most Korean people don't play FPS's and that's probably why WASD wasn't implemented. They like clickitty-click. (I are Koreans. I hate clickitty-click Diablo II was fine though)

Summarization-

Azn pplz =/= WASD. (Not that they don't like it but they are not familiar with it, thus it is not a necessity)

I don't think it has anything to do with what year or century it is. In fact WASD existed before 1998 I believe?

DOOM 3D, Duke Nukem, Wolfenstein 3D they had WASD. Back then it was called "Up Down Left Right" Key or arrows.

Originally posted by Cypt1
    I hardly think that complaining about the lack of a basic mechanic such as WASD movement is unacceptable; after all, many other "low-budget" games provide the users with such an option (e.g. DOMO).

They programed the game to work that way in the beginning. Changing the programing would probably mean a very long downtime (if it were possible) for the current players.

- I stopped playing this game because they controlled how many hours I get to play. Two hours limit then you'd have to pay or wait next day. That was the Korean version, I don't know about this one)

• iz8086iz8086 Member Posts: 30
    Originally posted by Breezer19103

Love,

the 21st century.

• vompafoovompafoo Member Posts: 4

Mabinogi would not work properly with WASD movement.  It's because of the combat system.

You can only move in one direction at once and you move to attack if you click on a mob.  If you're moving to attack, the mob will aggro you(prepare to attack) and if you could move with the keys, you might end up with lag to the server.  The movement could cause a lopp to happen between moving sideways and forwards and you would end up dead on the ground after seeing your character jump all over the screen.

Yes, you could fix this with a lot of work, but you'd have to change the entire system including the combat system.  The combat system is one of the most attractive points of the game, so that's a no-go.

Also, WASD is just inconvenient when you can just click once and you'll move, allowing time to que skills or check your character status sheet.  If you prefer to play FPS the go play FPS.  Mabi won't change because some people find it more convenient on other games.  It's what makes the game more challenging and you can get a lot more creative with your skills in-game because of the click to move method.

• xoblivionxxxoblivionxx Member CommonPosts: 77

I would personally prefer WASD controls than to click and move. However, click and move has its own advantages. I think it is based on personal preference

• DaitenguDaitengu Member Posts: 442

I don't have a problem playing either way.  My only real gripe is that the camera resets to view north every 10 seconds on the dot. Even while fighting stuff which throws everything I'm doing off. >.<

Note: I've only played for 3 days, and so far I've not found an option to disable camera reset.

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942
    Originally posted by Daitengu

I don't have a problem playing either way.  My only real gripe is that the camera resets to view north every 10 seconds on the dot. Even while fighting stuff which throws everything I'm doing off. >.<

Note: I've only played for 3 days, and so far I've not found an option to disable camera reset.

It is possable to go into options and look at hotkeys you know. But i think the ansewer you're looking for is Z

• Tiller77Tiller77 Member Posts: 29
    Originally posted by xoblivionxx

I would personally prefer WASD controls than to click and move. However, click and move has its own advantages. I think it is based on personal preference

Click and move is the only thing that works for this game, I assure you. To make up for it, they have a nice targeting system though. 

Its one of those things that you have to try to get it, use up your free trials first, then, if by that time you still don't get it, then its not the game for you. :P

• RatiFarrenceRatiFarrence Member Posts: 2

Click to move just means you need to know how to move a mouse.

Flying Mount pets  in G7 are controlled by WSAD however.

• AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178

Mabinogi could not be played with WSAD, it just couldn't.

You HAVE, and I repeat HAVE to play to understand (I personally hate mouse move 100% and prefer the option of having both) .