Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will it be too late to start playing this game?

voodooacevoodooace Member Posts: 4

I've played EvE before in other server, but I want to play it again, so if i join now, will it be too late and hard for me to catch up?

Comments

• RayalistRayalist Member Posts: 211

Depends, is having some number larger than someone else fun to you?

If not, there's no need to 'catch up'. Just specialize in what you think looks / sounds fun and... don't worry about numbers.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

This game is great for new players.  My friend just started playing 2 weeks ago and he already found a core group of people that show him the ropes.  Hes constantly upgrading his ships and he always has something new to tell me when I bring up Eve.  I would say, from my friend's experiences, that it is defintely not too late to start playing.

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459

While this particular game is not for me I have tried the 14 day trial a couple of times and the last time it was with a guild that moved from another game. There is a constant influx of new players to the game as well as older players leaving the game so overall I would say no its not too late. There is a niche you can fill and if you find the game fun with the trial etc you will still find it fun. To compete at the top end will require you to build your skills for about a year I think, however, there is plenty of people to play with/against at all skill levels even now.

• BaxslashBaxslash Member UncommonPosts: 237

I had a friend join eve about 3 weeks ago, so far, he has rerolled his toon twice, and actually started paying the monthly fee for the game, and he has reached cruiser status on his second toon in only 4 days, so, its not hard to get a very good start within the game.

But, I'm a vet., been playing 4 years, and, I've seen players with 6 months ingame skill training do very well. They usually specialize, and, get established in a good corp.

I think there is only 1 actual player who has more than 90 mill skill points, but, he was the first in Beta. but, that shouldn't frighten you from the game.

• AzirophosAzirophos Member Posts: 447

Originally posted by voodooace
    I've played EvE before in other server, but I want to play it again, so if i join now, will it be too late and hard for me to catch up?

1.)What other server? There was (and most likely ever will be) only one live server.

2.) You don't need to "catch up", for reasons that have been told and retold here dozens of times already.

------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Mandolin

Designers need to move away from the old D&D level-based model which was never designed for player vs player combat in the first place.

• voodooacevoodooace Member Posts: 4

Originally posted by Azirophos

1.)What other server? There was (and most likely ever will be) only one live server.
    2.) You don't need to "catch up", for reasons that have been told and retold here dozens of times already.

1.) Not the international one...the one in asia :) i'm from Hong Kong .

2.) ok thx for everyone! I will join EvE , but will there be anyone could help me in EvE :( I'm a noob...so I may need some help..

and I want to ask which corp will recruit newb..coz I don't know anything in EvE

• AzirophosAzirophos Member Posts: 447

Originally posted by voodooace

Originally posted by Azirophos

1.) Not the international one...the one in asia :) i'm from Hong Kong .

2.) ok thx for everyone! I will join EvE , but will there be anyone could help me in EvE :( I'm a noob...so I may need some help..

and I want to ask which corp will recruit newb..coz I don't know anything in EvE

There is no spoo... *coughs* I mean other server :p

All joking aside there are several corps specialized for helping new players that, chief among them is EVE-University. They help you get into the game and teach you most aspects.

Also there are a few help channels that can be used as a source for info, but don't take everything said in those channels as the holy grail. EVE offers multiple solutions to a problem, and not always will you be offered the best / most efficient one.

Personally I always gladly offer help to new players, but since I am in the GMT timezone our playing times will likely differ a lot.

Best of luck in EVE.

------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Mandolin

Designers need to move away from the old D&D level-based model which was never designed for player vs player combat in the first place.

• voodooacevoodooace Member Posts: 4

Thx for your advice :)

I hope we can play together sometime...lol

May i know your in game name ?

• Hades_WarpigHades_Warpig Member Posts: 265

Im Rebal 88 or Warpig 88, feel free to start up a convo with me anytime, i enjoy helping new members very much!

• PegasusJFPegasusJF Member Posts: 268

I hear rave reviews of EVE University. You should check that out.

And you can convo me anytime (My ig name is on my banner)

Welcome to EVE!

God Bless

Creed

• VrykosVrykos Member Posts: 1

I am new player too, started abou one week ago and I am really loving this game and I think  it is still a great game for a fresh player.

Of course you are way behind when it comes to skills, but as they say if you specialize you can become quite good in less then one year (just don't go for I want to try everything).

I have choosen a type of game play and with some help I can specialize my char towards that.

Great greta game, can't help to go real pvp, but for now I am still lurning.

• korvixkorvix Member Posts: 477

Just a FYI

There is a 2nd EvE server, its for China /Surrounding Asian countries.  The server is called Serenity.

Anyways, its never to late to start a MMO. As long as the game is fun...why does it matter how old the game is? I still play BattleToads and Blaster Master on my NES regularly. If you are interested in EvE, just start up and go at it!

~HappyGaming

PS: I started The Saga of Ryzom 2 weeks before it got shut down...wish I had played it earlyer. Had A blast those two weeks though ^^. I guess in that case, it was a little to late.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Eve's just hitting its stride now.  They've got more subs than they have ever had, and upcoming expansions that include in station player avatars will only help keep the fires burning.

Unless JGE turns out to be a great game.... (oops)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• aleisaleis Member Posts: 3

Not to late at all, theres tons of new players every day and although it is true with the way skills are trained you won't ever catch up to the player thats been playing for 5 years,  Eve's skill system is based on diminishing returns, 

every skill has 5 level, each level giving you a static bonus,  and every level up takes longer to train.  so while it may take you 1 week to train a skill to lvl 4 for a 20% bonus to whatever (+5% per level)  it'll take 3 week for that last 5%

thus the old guy will have an advantage and rightfully so,  but you can very quickly become competitive

And the player base is growing, not falling so the game itself ain't die'n

• M1sf1tM1sf1t Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

It's never to late to start playing EVE. I would suggest though that you specialize in one type of ship to fly depending on what you want to do with your time. If you want to run missions and pvp then getting up to cruisers or battlecrusiers is all you need. Once you maxed out your relevant skills for your ship and the ship class itself you can move onto another type of ship or activity to do like exploration, mining, hauling, etc.

Games I've played/tried out:WAR, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, AoC, EQ1, EQ2, WoW, Vangaurd, FFXI, D&DO, Lineage 2, Saga Of Ryzom, EvE Online, DAoC, Guild Wars,Star Wars Galaxies, Hell Gate London, Auto Assault, Grando Espada ( AKA SoTNW ), Archlord, CoV/H, Star Trek Online, APB, Champions Online, FFXIV, Rift Online, GW2.

Game(s) I Am Currently Playing:

GW2 (+LoL and BF3)